PDA

View Full Version : Florida Sun Pass

Disney4us2
07-15-2013, 01:18 AM
I know I will need a Sun Pass for the tolls. Where do you get the sun passes? I would like to get it after arriving in FL.

VWL Mom
07-15-2013, 06:58 AM
From Sunpass

Purchasing a SunPass Mini transponder or Portable transponder is easy because they are available at nearly 2,000 retail locations throughout the state. Retailers include Publix Super Markets, CVS Pharmacy stores and AAA South offices in Florida. They can also be purchased at Navarro Pharmacies and Sedano's Supermarkets in Broward and Miami-Dade Counties. Transponders are available at all Turnpike service plazas, Turnpike gas stations and SunPass Service Centers.

You can also order them online but I don't know if you have enough time for that.

Melanie
07-15-2013, 07:21 AM
Like the info Lynn provided says, they are available everywhere. We got ours at a Publix. We got the sticker, not the transponder, and that worked well for us.

Strmchsr
07-15-2013, 08:08 AM
SunPass is definitely easier if you visit often. We used to just carry change to pay the tolls but since we got our APs and started traveling so much we went for SunPass and haven't regretted it.

faline
07-15-2013, 08:12 AM
We got the sticker, not the transponder, and that worked well for us.

That's what we did as well except we ordered ours from the Sunpass website directly.

AgentC
07-15-2013, 08:31 AM
I have the regular transponder because we share ours between several cars and I bought mine before they offered minis.:)

If you are going to have the transponder in 1 car, the mini is a better deal since it only costs $4.99 The standard transponder costs $25.00.

Melanie
07-15-2013, 10:07 AM
If you are going to have the transponder in 1 car, the mini is a better deal since it only costs $4.99 The standard transponder costs $25.00.

And not sure if they are still doing this, but when we bought ours, cost was $4.99, and then you got a $5 credit on it when you activated it. Can't beat that! :)

magicofdisney
07-15-2013, 10:12 AM
And not sure if they are still doing this, but when we bought ours, cost was $4.99, and then you got a $5 credit on it when you activated it. Can't beat that! :)

Our first sticker offered this same deal. You really couldn't beat it. :) However, we just got another sticker for another vehicle a few weeks ago and no credit was offered at the time. :(

Melanie
07-15-2013, 11:20 AM
Our first sticker offered this same deal. You really couldn't beat it. :) However, we just got another sticker for another vehicle a few weeks ago and no credit was offered at the time. :(

Oh, bummer.

Scott C
07-15-2013, 01:40 PM
Not to hijack the thread but i have a related question. I bought a transponder a couple of years ago and used it on my last trip. We are getting ready to go again in a few weeks and am wondering if there is a battery that might need replacing or anything. I checked my account balance and it seems fine. Anything else I need to check??

Thanks
Scott C

Strmchsr
07-15-2013, 01:58 PM
Scott, it says batteries don't need replacing, but I figure it has to quit working eventually. I've not had one long enough to be an issue, but you might check on the Sunpass website or call them to check on that. The last thing you want is to receive a ticket in the mail because your transponder didn't work.

1DisneyNut
07-15-2013, 03:24 PM
Make sure you have your current tag number for the vehicle you are driving set in your sun pass user account. If for some reason your transponder doesn't work, the computer is supposed to check for your tag number in the database and charge your sunpass account for the toll. This just happened to us on July 4 so we will see if it charges the toll to our account or if we get a ticket and I have to submit my sunpass info. The battery finally went dead in our transponder that we have had since 2007 and we didn't know until we went through the first toll booth and it didn't work. We had to get a new battery at the service plaza.

They sell both the transponders and batteries at the service plazas on the turnpike.

1DisneyNut
07-15-2013, 06:49 PM
Update: I just checked my Sunpass account and they did in fact locate my account using my license plate number and charged the toll for the first one where my battery was dead in the transponder. So there is nothing to worry about, just make sure your account is up to date.

Disney4us2
07-15-2013, 07:51 PM
Ok... so which transponder is better? Where does the portable transponder go?

faline
07-15-2013, 07:56 PM
Ok... so which transponder is better? Where does the portable transponder go?

The portable one has suction cups that you use to attach to your windshield. You can move this one from car to car. The other cannot be moved from car to car. It adheres to the windshield and will not longer be operable if removed. We went with the second option as Florida is supposed to be moving toward making its system compatable with the the system in place in the Northeast so, if this actually happens, would not need another transponder.

magicofdisney
07-15-2013, 09:46 PM
Not to hijack the thread but i have a related question. I bought a transponder a couple of years ago and used it on my last trip. We are getting ready to go again in a few weeks and am wondering if there is a battery that might need replacing or anything. I checked my account balance and it seems fine. Anything else I need to check??

Thanks
Scott C

My portable transponder has a battery compartment and I chose to replace it every couple of years. The size is 2032. It can't hurt to replace it as a just-in-case.

If for some reason your transponder does not respond when using the Sunpass lanes, they'll simply charge your account IF the tag matches your info on file. Recently, I went through a Sunpass lane and my transponder didn't register. I got a bill in the mail because my tag also did not match my account info. In FL, your vehicle tag number is replaced every 5 yrs. I had forgotten to update my account. Once I updated that info, it was all squared away and I didn't need to pay the potential $100 fine.

Scott C
07-15-2013, 11:10 PM
My transponder does not seem to have an obvious battery compartment. The only possibility might be that it splits in half

Thanks
Scott c

AgentC
07-16-2013, 12:06 AM
My transponder does not seem to have an obvious battery compartment. The only possibility might be that it splits in half

Thanks
Scott c

If your Sunpass is one of the newer models it does not need batteries. These models don't beep.

There are 3 models that need to have batteries replaced. The oldest model has a screen on it and takes AAs.

The IIe is dark gray and takes a cr2032.

The IIb is white and requires a battery tool to change it.

If you go to the Sunpass site they have pictures of the different transponders. You can check and see which type you have.

minnie04
07-16-2013, 09:28 AM
Check before you buy anything. I know down here in Miami its pay by tag. You don't need anything in your car anymore. It just scans your tag each time you go through the tolls. Not sure if orlando is doing this yet (or any other part of Florida) :mickey: