PDA

View Full Version : Train Table Question

Lacy
07-13-2013, 06:40 PM
My DS is almost 5 and he doesn't often use his train table to play trains. So I'm debating if I should sell it but I don't know what else I would put in the playroom and if he'll miss it.

Do any of you other parents out there have thoughts on use of a train table after 5. Have you seen older kiddos get in to the trains? Or thoughts on better use of the floor space in the playroom? The best I've come up with is a big beanbag or something comfortable for him to sit and read or use the iPad.

VWL Mom
07-13-2013, 07:21 PM
When my boys we're young they had a train table for their Thomas layout, is that similar to what you have. Was about 30 inches off the floor and measured 4' x 4'?

When the trains were done it became the perfect place to build legos or lincoln logs, then matchbox layouts, and finally a race car track. It adapted with them as they grew.

Thomas has long since been stored away for their boys but every so often the legos reappear and last year the lincoln logs even showed themselves.

IMO, they need a play space where they are limited only by their imagination and not someone saying "don't scratch that". He has many years ahead where he can plunk down with an Ipad or a video game.

BrerGnat
07-13-2013, 08:14 PM
Replace it with Legos. Timeless, I tell you. Timeless.

We literally have one of those huge "Under the bed" plastic bins (the long rectangle shallow ones) and it's FULL of Legos. They sit on the playroom floor and create all kinds of things, day after day.

That and marble runs. Marble runs (like Quadrilla) are a great toy and promote a lot of experimentation.

tinkwest
07-13-2013, 10:14 PM
I agree with leaving the table up if you don't have a specific need for that space. Back when DS was in elementary school he had a table that went through many phases - Micro Machines city, Pogs play table, Legos construction site, Power Rangers hangout, baseball card collection area, coloring and drawing table.

As an aside, Natalie, you are so right about Legos being timeless. My uncle is 83 and still plays with Legos!

DizneyRox
07-14-2013, 09:52 AM
Yep, Legos... I made my little one a train table so it's not just going to the dumpster. We took out all the Thomas stuff and started filling it up with Legos. I also saw some YouTube videos where people made theirs an indoor construction site for their little one interested in cars/trucks. Having an indoor sandbox isn't usually very popular though... Maybe it was Hilde's (From Trading Spaces) idea!

HollyB
07-14-2013, 10:28 AM
I also saw some YouTube videos where people made theirs an indoor construction site for their little one interested in cars/trucks. Having an indoor sandbox isn't usually very popular though...

We had a indoor "sand box" that we filled with rice. The sand toys and construction toys still worked with the rice, but the rice was much easier to vacuum up when it spilled. I've seen people use seed corn too.

Lacy
07-14-2013, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the suggestions - looks like conversion to a lego table is what we will work on. And since we have the space keeping it for somewhere for him to play without constraints on keeping his stuff cleaned up and not scratching a nice table seems like a good idea!

BrerGnat
07-15-2013, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the suggestions - looks like conversion to a lego table is what we will work on. And since we have the space keeping it for somewhere for him to play without constraints on keeping his stuff cleaned up and not scratching a nice table seems like a good idea!

Just want to throw this out there: you can purchase Lego "base plates" and then use Command Adhesives to stick them to the surface of the train table. This way, it's not permanent, and it won't cause any damage, but it will stick well enough for your son to build on. The base plates come in a few different sizes, shapes, and colors, and you can order them on Lego's official website.

CanadianWDWFan
07-15-2013, 10:05 AM
These tables are such a good idea for LEGO! I wish we had a table like that, since our dining room is now the LEGO room! :D

BrerGnat
07-15-2013, 10:10 AM
Oh, and Lacy, just wanted to mention, my older son just turned 9, and he still pulls out his Thomas trains and track and sets up elaborate track layouts and plays with the trains from time to time. He has always loved trains, and just when we thought he was done with his trains for good (after close to a year where he didn't touch them), he randomly took them out one day and spent all day playing with them, and the following day, and the day after that...and now he brings them out about once a week. I think he forgot how much he used to love it and he remembered. Nowadays, Thomas and Friends are navigating "roller coaster tracks", but it's all still fun for him and his 7 year old brother.

magicofdisney
07-15-2013, 10:19 AM
I agree that you should NOT get rid of the table. As many have stated it can be repurposed, especially for Legos. As also mentioned, the train will make a reappearance if you don't get rid of it. My 15yo will occasionally go in and help his little brother put together some awesome tracks. :)