PDA

View Full Version : Worth the time to explore Camp Wilderness?

thejens
07-03-2013, 10:42 PM
We will be staying at the Wilderness Lodge for the first time this September. Is there anything we should explore/do re. Fort Wilderness/camping areas that is worth taking away from parks? Our boys are 9 and 15. Not sure if campfire and smores would be worth missing park time or even relaxing by pool, but would like to fully explore our new resort. Suggestions?

mickclub1955
07-04-2013, 10:40 AM
Wilderness Lodge is not quite at Fort Wilderness. It is down the road a ways. We had a Hoop De Doo reservation one evening and went over to Fort Wilderness a little early. We enjoyed looking at the Horses. This is where the horses live that pull the carts down Main Street USA in the Magic Kingdom. After the dinner show we watched the Electrical Water Pagent from the beach.

Christine
07-04-2013, 10:45 AM
It's only a boat stop away from WL, so I think it's worth it.
The trails end buffet is good, or there's a take-out window too---best fried chicken, corn bread, & mashed potatoes I've had in a long time!
Have a dinner, look around at how some guests decorate their campsite.
The campfire & movie is pretty fun, we've always enjoyed it.
I say go for it. You have to eat anyway, make that a dinner event. :mickey:

Imalismom
07-04-2013, 11:14 AM
I like Camp Wilderness... Little known fact - they have segway tours and horseback riding!...

They also have a campfire program that is free and open to all resort guests. It usually starts 7/8 PM depending on the season. A sing-along is first, and then and a marshmallow roast around two campfire rings. You can even bring your own marshmallows!

My all time favorite though is the Archery - an archery guide at the Bike Barn offers training and tips on how to use a Compound Bow

waymickey
07-04-2013, 04:56 PM
When we stay at WL we will often rent bikes and ride over to Fort Wilderness and visist the horses. They have a petting farm as well and as mentioned a great place to eat at Trails End. We also look for the lawn mower tree. Dont feel like riding bikes then hope on the boat and go over for lunch or dinner . The horses are beautiful!

Harriet
07-09-2013, 07:30 PM
We will be staying at the Wilderness Lodge for the first time this September. Is there anything we should explore/do re. Fort Wilderness/camping areas that is worth taking away from parks? Our boys are 9 and 15. Not sure if campfire and smores would be worth missing park time or even relaxing by pool, but would like to fully explore our new resort. Suggestions?

I say it is a good time and as said above do go of dinner at Trail End worth every penny. The Camp Fire is a lot of fun and your two young ones are the right age. Go on a night that they show a movie you would enjoy.

sorarail
07-10-2013, 11:25 AM
We've scheduled a Segway tour in November. We thought it would be a fun way to tour around the campground as we plan to camp there at some point in the future.:mickey:

Susan A
07-10-2013, 09:52 PM
I'm glad you posted this question because we are staying at the WL in October. I made reservations at Trail's End for the first night we are there. I thought the kids could explore the campground/animals. Mine are 5 and 7.
We will take the boat.
I've always wanted to go the the camp fire. That is part of the reason I chose to stay at the WL. Is that silly? :confused:

My2Sons
07-12-2013, 11:51 PM
I would definitely rent the bikes and ride over to the campground. We do this every chance we get. Super, super fun! And my boys are about the same ages as yours. Hoop-Dee-Doo show is worth it, as well. I thought it would be corny but it was super funny and the food was very good. Have fun! Oh - almost forgot - you can go fishing at Fort Wilderness as well. It's a very fun place.

KylesMom
07-12-2013, 11:56 PM
For those who may be unaware, Wilderness Lodge also offers a campfire and movie nightly. If you don't find the time to get over to Fort Wilderness, you can just stay at your home resort in the evening and enjoy the amenities they have to offer. DS always has a blast! :mickey: