PDA

View Full Version : Guilty pleasures (or not so guilty )of summer TV viewing

AgentC
07-03-2013, 04:03 PM
Our satellite box broke this weekend and while we were waiting for Directv I had to exclusively watch NetFlix and Hulu. I introduced my children to one of my favorite old guilty pleasures on NetFlix- Hercules The Legendary Journeys. (Alas they didn't have Xena.:( )

So it got me thinking, what does everyone watch when the summer doldrums hit and none of your regular shows are on? I find I watch some things in the summer I would never normally watch. They are truly guilty pleasures. I also try to catch up on things I missed.

Here are a few of mine. I'll check in with more later.

Very Guilty
The Real Housewives of Orange County- they were the originals and as much as I know I shouldn't watch it, they keep drawing me back in.

Whodunnit? This is a new summer show. Totally cheesy but I'm kind of liking trying to figure out the clues.

Kind of Guilty
Mistresses I watched the first three episodes in a row on Hulu but it is losing steam for me.

Not Guilty

House Hunters International A go to show for me. I love seeing the countries.

The American Baking Competition A nice change from the traditional cooking contests.

Okay, your turn. Any dark secrets out there or great shows I'm missing?

CynBeth
07-03-2013, 05:21 PM
I have also been watching Who Dunnit and American Baking Competition. Along with those are Next Food Network Star and America's Got Talent. I have seen a little Big Brother.

BrerGnat
07-03-2013, 06:17 PM
Oh geez. I don't know if I want to even admit this.

Guilty:

Real Housewives...all of them basically. NJ and Orange County are on now.

Catfish on MTV. This whole phenomenon is so twisted, but I can't stop watching this show.

Don't be Tardy I don't know why I got sucked into this show, but I did. The season just ended but I watched every episode.

Newlyweds on Bravo. I found this show HIGHLY entertaining.

Pregnant and Dating--I've only seen this a couple times, and again, it's so bizarre. But, I keep watching it.

Highly inappropriate shows on Comedy Central--titles withheld Well, what can I say, I have a very twisted sense of humor and I'm immature. So what?

Not so Guilty:

Toy Hunter--LOVE this show!

Pawn Stars

Lately, I've been watching a lot of Destination America channel. There is a lot of fun stuff on there.

PirateLover
07-03-2013, 06:45 PM
RHONJ hands down. :blush:

MNNHFLTX
07-03-2013, 07:37 PM
I don't know what category this would fall into (semi-guilty, I guess), but I was thinking the other day that I want to watch Dawson's Creek again, starting from the beginning, and maybe Felicity too. Both had some great actors in them and I enjoyed the storylines (for the most part, anyway). I'll have to see if Netflix carries them.

SBETigg
07-03-2013, 07:49 PM
I recommended one of my best friends for The American Baking Competition and she made it through three auditions and then got dropped. So I haven't been able to watch. But I do love Master Chef, Hell's Kicthen, and Chopped. I've started watching The Dome. Otherwise, I haven't been watching much TV lately.

DizneyFreak2002
07-03-2013, 11:42 PM
Cindy, you said NetFlix does not have Xena? I have it in my streaming queue...

Under the Dome, recommended viewing on Monday night... True Blood on Sundays... Nothing else during the week.. I used to watch Ghost Hunters but I got tired of that show... Actually, I do a lot of Netflix streaming... I'm tempted to watch House of Cards again... If anyone has Netflix streaming, watch House of Cards.. EXCELLENT!!!

Honestly though, I love watching the Netflix streaming of older shows, like X Files, Battlestar Galactica...

AgentC
07-04-2013, 08:41 AM
You guys are giving me great ideas to fill up our new improved DVR . It holds a terabyte and can record 5 shows at once.:thumbsup:

Oh geez. I don't know if I want to even admit this. . .

Newlyweds on Bravo. I found this show HIGHLY entertaining.
. . .
Toy Hunter--LOVE this show!

Lately, I've been watching a lot of Destination America channel. There is a lot of fun stuff on there.

I keep meaning to watch Newylweds. I'll put it on my list. My son loves Toy Hunters and my husband is into Destination America. He also really likes a show called North America. I'm not sure what channel that is on.

I don't know what category this would fall into (semi-guilty, I guess), but I was thinking the other day that I want to watch Dawson's Creek again, starting from the beginning, and maybe Felicity too. Both had some great actors in them and I enjoyed the storylines (for the most part, anyway). I'll have to see if Netflix carries them.

I never watch Dawson's Creek very much but I loved 90210. The original of course with Brenda, Brandon, Kelly and Dylan. :)

I recommended one of my best friends for The American Baking Competition and she made it through three auditions and then got dropped. So I haven't been able to watch. But I do love Master Chef, Hell's Kicthen, and Chopped. I've started watching The Dome. Otherwise, I haven't been watching much TV lately.

That must have been fun for your friend. I like Master Chef too. I tend to stream it while I work because I can listen and not be too distracted.

Cindy, you said NetFlix does not have Xena? I have it in my streaming queue...

Thank you! I tend to pick most of my streaming off of my Bluray and it didn't show up there. I found it on the website. It's in my queue now.:thumbsup:

Under the Dome, recommended viewing on Monday night... True Blood on Sundays... Nothing else during the week.. I used to watch Ghost Hunters but I got tired of that show... Actually, I do a lot of Netflix streaming... I'm tempted to watch House of Cards again... If anyone has Netflix streaming, watch House of Cards.. EXCELLENT!!!

Honestly though, I love watching the Netflix streaming of older shows, like X Files, Battlestar Galactica...

I meant to watch Under the Dome but missed it. I'll have to see if I can find. I agree on House of Cards. Excellent show. I am excited for season 2.

I have also been watching Who Dunnit and American Baking Competition. Along with those are Next Food Network Star and America's Got Talent. I have seen a little Big Brother.

Next Food Network Star is on my list too.

So time for another confession from me. A lot of my TV viewing is with my kids which means Disney Channel, Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network.

Last night I watch Big Time Rush with daughter.

Austin and Ally, Jessie, and Ant Farm are big with my kids. The scary thing is I have found myself watching both Austin and Ally and Good Luck Charlie by myself. :blush:

A Disney show I do recommend is:

Gravity Falls. It is a little warped and always funny. Two kids spending the summer with the great uncle at his curiosity shop in a town where strange things are always happening.

For fantasy type cartoons Slugterra and Ben 10 are also big in our house. Now that Ninjago is over, my son is also looking forward to Legends of Chima.

AgentC
07-04-2013, 08:46 AM
I just found Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel available for streaming on NetFlix. I may never leave the house again. :cloud9:

Mrs Bus Driver
07-04-2013, 09:59 AM
Guilty
Recently my DD turned me on to "Its always sunny in Philadelphia" its like a car wreck I just can't help looking. BTW Danny Deveto at his all time best/worst in this. :mickey:

Not so guilty
Dr Who, Sherlock, Downtown Abbey (yes I love my Brits) and any Star Treck series :mickey:

DizneyFreak2002
07-04-2013, 10:24 AM
I forgot to mention... TRAVEL CHANNEL... I always find myself tuning into Travel Channel or Destination America... There is something about travel related shows I just love...

Cindy: You are welcome (regarding Xena)... I haven't watched an episode yet, but I knew they had it... I'm also looking forward to Orange is the New Black coming to Netflix streaming this month... Hemlock Grove was not bad, Lillyhammer was pretty good... But House of Cards blew them away... If you have On Demand, you may be able to catch Under the Dome on On Demand.. I know I usually watch Continuum on On Demand since I always forget when it airs on SyFy...

PirateLover
07-04-2013, 10:59 AM
But I do love Master Chef, Hell's Kicthen, and Chopped.

Our friend got us hooked on Hell's Kitchen. We had never watched before. Now we are big Gordon Ramsay fans and are also watching Master Chef, and have been watching old Kitchen Nightmares episodes on Netflix.

Bar Rescue with John Taffer is another one we love.

Scar
07-04-2013, 11:04 AM
I can honestly say I'm not guilty about anything I watch (except maybe The Mets, but that's not a pleasure. :rolleyes:) Other than Survivor, I don't watch any first run prime time shows. For me, if I'm home, it's movies, reruns of good shows, History channel (even that now stinks in prime time,) stuff like that.

(I suppose that's why I don't post as much in this forum as I should. :blush:)

TheDuckRocks
07-04-2013, 02:14 PM
#1 Guilty Addiction anytime of year - Really Not So Real Housewifes of AnyWhere. Love them.
Other Guilty - a lot of the trashy things on Bravo.
Summer viewing - I love a lot of the shows on TNT; Major Crimes, Rizzoli & Lisles, etc., and The Glades on A&E. Oh, yeah, Franklin & Bash.
From CBS, I still get into Big Brother although I'm always saying I'm not going to.
A couple of years ago I started watching Switched at Birth and still enjoy it on ABC Family. This season they have introduced Twisted and am following it.

Melanie
07-04-2013, 07:17 PM
I'm another proud guilty pleasure viewer of the Real Housewives of everywhere. So now I'm watching New Jersey and Orange County, and Miami starts in August I think. I also get into a lot of the Bravo shows, but Newlyweds, I just couldn't. Same goes for the Princesses: Long Island. Those girls are boring and ridiculous. Can't wait for Interior Therapy to start back up, and also Property Envy. Love me some Jeff Lewis, and Jenny and Zoila.

On HGTV, I'll watch House Hunters, House Hunters International, Love It or List It, Property Virgins and Property Brothers whenever I see they are on. Fun shows!

On network TV, only thing I'm watching now is my summer staple - Big Brother.

Fun thread! :tv:

wildernesslady
07-05-2013, 08:52 AM
Very fun thread.

Ok, I admit it, I watch the Bachlorette. It's so dramatic. Also RHONJ, Big Brother, True Blood. The next American Baker is a nice change for a cooking competition.

But, if The Wedding Date is on, I'm all in. I can't not watch that movie.

MNNHFLTX
07-05-2013, 09:37 AM
On HGTV, I'll watch House Hunters, House Hunters International, Love It or List It, Property Virgins and Property Brothers whenever I see they are on. Fun shows!
I still enjoy watching those shows too, except that I've gotten away from Property Brothers. It's formulaic (like all the HGTV shows), but at an hour it is too long, IMO. But I will be watching their Brother vs. Brother. Have you seen that new show, Hawaiian Life?

indytraveler
07-05-2013, 10:37 AM
We aren't around too much in the evening, so when the TV is on its usually on either TLC, Discovery, or Food Networks even an occasional TBS, TNT. Nothing on network TV. No re-runs.

We typically watch more food related shows. Whether its Hell's Kitchen, Cake Boss, Diners, Dives and Drive ins, Man V Food etc.

Don't know why I'm always hungry?:confused:

TheDuckRocks
07-05-2013, 12:40 PM
I also get into a lot of the Bravo shows, but Newlyweds, I just couldn't. Same goes for the Princesses: Long Island. Those girls are boring and ridiculous. Can't wait for Interior Therapy to start back up, and also Property Envy. Love me some Jeff Lewis, and Jenny and Zoila.

I give anything that Bravo airs at least once. Newlyweds and Princesses were once and no more.:ack:
I love Jeff and the gang. I'm really looking forward to Property Envy even if it is only Jeff with other people.
Jonathon and Drew are favorites of mine from Property Brothers, although I like their other show where they reno a house before they can move to a new one better. Can not for the life of me think what the name of it is, getting older is so much fun. I think both of the guys are too cute with little kids.
For any triple D fans out there, I just caught the Under the Hood episode last night.....what a hoot! It is an hour of out takes, etc. and if you missed it, it is available on On Demand.

SBETigg
07-05-2013, 02:54 PM

I love those HGTV shows, especially House Hunters and House Hunters International. Fun to see all the options in new places.

missymouseworld
07-05-2013, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by Scar

I can honestly say I'm not guilty about anything I watch (except maybe the Mets, but that's not a pleasure. )

So true!!

AgentC
07-06-2013, 09:50 AM
Our friend got us hooked on Hell's Kitchen. We had never watched before. Now we are big Gordon Ramsay fans and are also watching Master Chef, and have been watching old Kitchen Nightmares episodes on Netflix.

Bar Rescue with John Taffer is another one we love.

I love Gordon Ramsey. I got a bit tired of Hell's Kitchen but I've been enjoying Master Chef. I watched Bar Rescue once. I'll have to check for it. Travel Channel used to have a Hotel Impossible show that was fun.

I'm another proud guilty pleasure viewer of the Real Housewives of everywhere. So now I'm watching New Jersey and Orange County, and Miami starts in August I think. I also get into a lot of the Bravo shows, but Newlyweds, I just couldn't. Same goes for the Princesses: Long Island. Those girls are boring and ridiculous. Can't wait for Interior Therapy to start back up, and also Property Envy. Love me some Jeff Lewis, and Jenny and Zoila.

On network TV, only thing I'm watching now is my summer staple - Big Brother.

Bravo really is my go to station for fun shows. I like Interior Therapy too. We also watch Million Dollar Listing sometimes. Always fill of drama. :)

. . .

We typically watch more food related shows. Whether its Hell's Kitchen, Cake Boss, Diners, Dives and Drive ins, Man V Food etc.

Don't know why I'm always hungry?:confused:
LOL. MY husband was just wondering why he is always hungry at night after watching food related shows. :D

I still enjoy watching those shows too, except that I've gotten away from Property Brothers. It's formulaic (like all the HGTV shows), but at an hour it is too long, IMO. But I will be watching their Brother vs. Brother. Have you seen that new show, Hawaiian Life?

I've seen Hawaiian Life once. Do you like it? I agree on the HGTV shows. I like them but they are so staged. I could do without all the fake drama.

Melanie
07-06-2013, 10:29 AM
We also watch Million Dollar Listing sometimes. Always fill of drama. :)

Oh yeah, I love MDL. Watching NY right now. That Fredrik is something else. But I'm anxious for LA to start. Just like the real estate out there so much more. And Mikey (Josh Altman's assistant) is a childhood friend/neighbor of mine. He's much younger than me, but I was friend's with his sisters. In fact, his oldest sister was my roommate one year at Appalachian. :)

MNNHFLTX
07-06-2013, 11:21 AM
I've seen Hawaiian Life once. Do you like it? I agree on the HGTV shows. I like them but they are so staged. I could do without all the fake drama.
I do like it. HGTV stages so many of their shows in Canada, it's nice to see something different. :)

Melanie
07-06-2013, 11:31 AM
I haven't seen Hawaiian Life. It would make me want to go back to Hawaii really bad, me thinks. ;)

I still like Property Brothers, but I will say, because of the 1 hour runtime, I can't sit and watch show after show.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
07-08-2013, 11:27 AM
I love Gordon Ramsey. I got a bit tired of Hell's Kitchen but I've been enjoying Master Chef.

I'm a big fan of Gordon as well, but the current season of Hell's Kitchen that is winding down now, is almost enough to put me off. HK has seriously become one of the most routine, predictable and cookie cutter series that I've ever seen. This season has to be its worst. If you have BBCA, look up Gordon there. His British version of Kitchen Nightmares is much better, plus you have his "F Word (f=food)" and other shows. He's not nearly so hyper and loud and they don't pander to reality tv audiences as much as his US shows do.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
07-08-2013, 11:32 AM
What's nice to some extent is that cable tv offers legitimate summer programming now. So it isn't really a guilty pleasure for me.

Watching now:

Falling Skies (TNT)
Copper (BBCA original)

Catching/Caught up on:

True Blood - just finished season 5
Game of Thrones - will start season 3 soon
Orphan Black (BBCA original series)

Otherwise the old DVR is actually fairly empty for a change.

sportsguy2315
07-16-2013, 08:37 PM
I'm catching up on two different series (Thanks to Amazon Instant) that are on two completely different ends of the spectrum: Justified (Think Dirty Harry but in rural Kentucky) and Downton Abbey.

dnickels
07-16-2013, 10:16 PM
I haven't turned on a TV since before Memorial Day, just too many fun things to do outdoors this time of year!

Once college football season comes around however you can book me for a good 10 hrs a week of college games. :number1:

Arielfan98
07-16-2013, 10:34 PM
Catfish and Whodunnit are interesting. I think the killer may be Chris.

MNNHFLTX
07-16-2013, 10:58 PM
I'm catching up on two different series (Thanks to Amazon Instant) that are on two completely different ends of the spectrum: Justified (Think Dirty Harry but in rural Kentucky) and Downton Abbey.
Andy, you have my admiration for watching Downtown Abbey. I think my husband would enjoy it also, but he's hung up on Duck Dynasty (his guilty pleasure) and won't even try watching it.

sportsguy2315
07-17-2013, 09:56 AM
Andy, you have my admiration for watching Downtown Abbey. I think my husband would enjoy it also, but he's hung up on Duck Dynasty (his guilty pleasure) and won't even try watching it.

I too enjoy Duck Dynasty, but DGF has no interest as she isn't much of a TV watcher. Oddly, the one "guilty pleasure" show we do agree on is Pawn Stars. We even try to guess the offer on the items before they're made.

As for getting him into Downton, you can't beat the pilot with the future of the estate literally sinking before your very eyes. It could also be the history buff in me, but who knows.

MNNHFLTX
07-17-2013, 11:10 AM
Oh good heavens, did I really post Downtown Abbey in my post? My pet peeve! Must have been auto-correct. ;)

Hammer
07-17-2013, 01:43 PM
My favorite guilty pleasure TV shows (summer edition)-

- The Glades
- The Newsroom
- Multiple HGTV shows:
-My first Place
-My First Sale
-Property Virgins
-House Hunters (both US and International)

Some of the things people point out as important when looking for a house on these shows are so funny. I found it to be true when I was selling my condo, as I'm sure people are influenced by these shows. Some of the things people said in critiquing my condo were hilarious, such as they didn't like having to climb the stairs to get to the unit. What part of "upper level condo" did you not understand!?

Cheshire_Girl
07-17-2013, 02:42 PM

Ha! I love Netflix streaming..I only get 4 stations on regular TV..and I refuse to pay for cable-so Netflix is my standby.
If you like SiFi/Comedy/Drama....all rolled into 1 check out Eureka-I got so hooked I watched 5 season in 2 weeks!

Kenny1113
07-17-2013, 03:42 PM
My favorite guilty pleasure TV shows (summer edition)-

- The Glades
- The Newsroom
- Multiple HGTV shows:
-My first Place
-My First Sale
-Property Virgins
-House Hunters (both US and International)

Some of the things people point out as important when looking for a house on these shows are so funny. I found it to be true when I was selling my condo, as I'm sure people are influenced by these shows. Some of the things people said in critiquing my condo were hilarious, such as they didn't like having to climb the stairs to get to the unit. What part of "upper level condo" did you not understand!?

Haha! I know that gets me too!!
When they walk into a house that has all their criteria and under budget but say "I don't like the paint color" really??!!! :confused:
That stuff can be changed.

MNNHFLTX
07-17-2013, 04:05 PM
Haha! I know that gets me too!!
When they walk into a house that has all their criteria and under budget but say "I don't like the paint color" really??!!! :confused:
That stuff can be changed.Yes, the things that "tick their boxes" can also be pretty humorous sometimes. Makes me wonder--if people didn't watch shows like this, would they know that they are supposed to want granite countertops, stainless-steel appliances and wood floors? Probably not. :silly:

TheDuckRocks
07-18-2013, 11:58 AM
What has me laughing is the number of people with a budget of $1.95 expecting to get all the granite, stainless steel and wood floors. And then they blame it on the poor realtor.

MissMaryPoppins
07-19-2013, 10:23 AM
I've been watching a lot of Bravo. I love the Housewives, Jeff Lewis, and I've found myself watching Princesses: Long Island and a show about a yacht crew. I can honestly say I don't like either of the two but I can't stop watching. Now that Mad Men is done for the season and Sherlock isn't coming back anytime soon, I'm stuck with ****! I'm grateful for Netflix though. It feeds my British TV addiction.

Mickey'sGirl
07-19-2013, 10:43 AM
I'm grateful for Netflix though. It feeds my British TV addiction.
If you are an Inspector Morse/Lewis fan, there is a new series starting up on PBS called "Endeavour" (Inspector Morse's first name). It's set in the 60's when Morse is just starting out as a Constable, and it is very good! :thumbsup:

disney obsessed
07-19-2013, 02:28 PM
Ooohhh!!! This topic is so SPACIOUS.

I refuse to use that word, but this seemed to be an appropriate opportunity.

I haven't heard this mentioned yet. Naked and afraid.