PDA

View Full Version : Right turns on a red light?

Disney4us2
07-02-2013, 01:49 PM
In California you can make a right turn on a red light (if/when traffic is clear and allowable).

For those who live along/near route I-10. Can you make a right turn on a red light? Don't want any tickets on our journey.

I went to the auto club yesterday to get my trip tik, maps and tour books. The agent didn't know the answer to the right turn question or have any info on traffic laws.

Thanks in advance:mickey:

AZ Disney
07-02-2013, 02:13 PM
Right turn on red has been pretty standard in any state that I've lived in. There are some intersections that it is forbidden and a sign is always posted "no right turn on red"
Safe Travels!

DizneyRox
07-02-2013, 06:59 PM
I think right on red is fairly standard.. It's the quick left on green that's a regional thing I think...

Melanie
07-02-2013, 07:17 PM
North Carolina has started this flashing yellow arrow thing for left yielding turns. Yuck.

MNNHFLTX
07-02-2013, 08:04 PM
Right turns on red legal in every state I've ever been in. But not in France--can't do it there (granted it's not a state and you won't be crossing it on your way to Florida!) ;)

AgentC
07-02-2013, 08:16 PM
Right on red is legal in FL but a lot of cities in FL have red light cameras so make sure you come to a complete stop before your turn. You can get a ticket for a rolling stop and they are pretty hefty.

Mrs Bus Driver
07-02-2013, 08:59 PM
You didn't say where along I-10. But if you are coming through the Phoenix area be aware that there are no turn on red exits from the I-10. DD got a ticket once when we were coming home from seeing my DS at the hospital. :mickey:

Mrs Bus Driver
07-02-2013, 09:28 PM
just read my post it wasn't very clear, meant to say some exits are no right turn. :mickey:

BrerGnat
07-03-2013, 01:02 PM
You can do it in every state unless there is a posted sign.

DO come to a complete stop, though, or else they can ticket you for that.

Scar
07-03-2013, 01:31 PM
Not that this has anything to do with I-10, but you cannot turn right on red in New York City unless there is a sign saying you can (unless this has changed recently, haven't driven on the local streets in a while.)

BrerGnat
07-03-2013, 01:45 PM
Not that this has anything to do with I-10, but you cannot turn right on red in New York City unless there is a sign saying you can (unless this has changed recently, haven't driven on the local streets in a while.)

We did that a bunch of times when we visited in May. Saw a couple intersections with a sign that you couldn't, but none that specifically stated you could (so we did, along with everyone else).

What I didn't know was that you can turn left on a red light onto a One Way street. Had no idea that was legal (DH insisted it was, so hopefully we didn't break any laws by doing that). :blush:

NewDVCowner
07-03-2013, 01:50 PM
You can do it in every state unless there is a posted sign.

DO come to a complete stop, though, or else they can ticket you for that.

Actually, you can't do it in Oregon. That's the only one that I know of.

Scar
07-03-2013, 02:19 PM
We did that a bunch of times when we visited in May. Saw a couple intersections with a sign that you couldn't, but none that specifically stated you could (so we did, along with everyone else).Hmmm... Got this from the NYC.gov/dot website:

(3) Steady red alone:
(i) Vehicular traffic facing such signal shall stop before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection or, if none, then before entering the intersection and shall remain standing until an indication to proceed is shown.
(ii) Notwithstanding the foregoing provisions of this subdivision (a), or any provisions of state law, an operator approaching an intersection where a sign authorizes right or left turns on red signal may make such turn after coming to a complete stop, but shall yield the right of way to all vehicles and pedestrians lawfully within the intersection.

Although not 100% clear, I'm reading this as you can't turn. I'll see if I can find something else.

Anyone reading this from NYC that can clear this up?

PirateLover
07-03-2013, 02:54 PM
My general understanding is that a right on red is perfectly acceptable unless a sign is posted. Around here, there are signs with specifications, for example: No right turn on red, 8am-6pm.

I've never heard of a *legal* left on red, and I come from a land of one-lane, one-way streets (South Philadelphia). Then again, most of those intersections only have stop signs, not lights.

Mrs Bus Driver
07-03-2013, 03:40 PM
Around here if the yellow caution light if flashing and there is a sign saying it is okay you can turn left on red. This is only at a couple of freeway entrances that I know of.

MNNHFLTX
07-03-2013, 08:18 PM
I've never heard of a *legal* left on red, and I come from a land of one-lane, one-way streets (South Philadelphia). Then again, most of those intersections only have stop signs, not lights.I think a lot of states allow left turns on red lights, as long as it's from a one-way street to another one-way street. I looked it up and the states that don't allow it are South Dakota, Connecticut, Maine, Missouri, North Carolina, New Hampshire, DC and New York City (I know, I know, it's not a state).

Fangorn
07-04-2013, 02:11 AM
Actually, you can't do it in Oregon.

Not a true statement. You can definitely make a right turn on red in Oregon. There are some gotchas involving bike lanes that can make it appear to be illegal to turn right on red, but it's not. It's also legal to turn left on red provided you're on a one-way street and turning onto another one-way street. And Mel, we too have the flashing yellow arrows for left turns - I personally love them, although I've seen a few idiots nearly get creamed...

What we can't do is pump our own gas. :D

Steve

garymacd
07-04-2013, 11:34 AM
Right turns on red legal in every state I've ever been in. But not in France--can't do it there (granted it's not a state and you won't be crossing it on your way to Florida!) ;)

Unless you take that left toin at Albuquoique!

Sorry. Wrong cartoon company.

As for the left turn on red, I am also from a land of one-way streets - Hamilton, Ontario. Up here, it is legal to turn left on a red, but only from a one-way street onto a one-way street. Again, as always, come to a complete stop (like anyone does that anymore except me) and proceed when the way is clear.

brownie
07-08-2013, 12:08 PM
The general rule I follow is that as long as I don't have to cross traffic going the opposite way at any point, it's okay to turn on red after stopping, unless it's signed otherwise. I wonder if this will eventually change for right hand turns that have the right turn arrows?