PDA

View Full Version : Wedding planning

disney obsessed
07-02-2013, 08:59 AM
Around christmas severel of us announced engagments in our families. I was wondering how planning is going for everyone.

I am surprised at how far in advance you need to do things. I am also surprised at how quickly the expenses add up. I knew it would be. I am wishing she would have chosen the destination wedding in disney or the carribean and we would get a good vacation out of it. Any tips for staying calm? She is very stressed because it is her nature, so I need to be the focused one. At times it seems like I am planning the wedding, not her. I do not want it to be my wedding. I want it to be hers. She is making all of the final decisions. I dont even know if she would now what to do if I were not helping her.

I just read over this and it sounds like I am a control freak! Really, I am not.

Thanks for letting me vent.

LauraF
07-02-2013, 09:09 AM
You know, it'll be okay.

Some of us have huge shindigs when we get married, and others have quiet and meaningful events. It's not about how much you spend (or how much better it is than [insert name here's wedding]), it's about what it means to the participants.

Trust me, my husband and I could have cared less when the big day came. :cloud9:

You'll survive and so will she. It's about what's important, not if the napkins match the bridesmaids dresses.

Hang in there!

Dulcee
07-02-2013, 10:13 AM
Wedding planning can be ridiculously stressful. DH and I got married last October. I spent a year and a half planning. The day after the wedding weekend I woke up, looked at DH and was so amazingly happy the whole thing was over!

Like yours I stress about normal things so this just became a huge constant pressure. Keeping things in budget was always a worry. I was actually having nightmares that the caterer showed up only with pickles (!?) and that the band turned out to be a techno dj instead of a country band.

About 8 months out from the wedding things got so bad DH demanded a weekend a month with no wedding anything. No wedding talk. No DIY projects. It was the best thing we could do. For my control freak self it was a time when I could say enough, its off limits for the next three days. It really did help.

My best friend is getting married now and I'll give you the same advice I gave her. Its going to be stressful. Your going to worry and panic and things like shades of ivory, cream or white will suddenly seem all important. You won't be able to help it when your pastor has heart problems that land her in the hospital the day before or when a miscommunication means your wedding planner bails out the morning of (both of which happened to us). When that big day finally comes you'll both care only about seeing each other. Just keep telling yourself that at the end of all of this I'll be married to the person I love most in the world and that is truly, honestly, the most important part of the entire event.

Then, the morning after, when you wake up and realize you never need to plan a wedding ever again you can laugh and thank god its all over. :)

Ms. Mode
07-02-2013, 01:00 PM
No matter how much you plan and stress when "the day" gets here something "unplanned" will happen! Count on it. :)

How much time do you have before the wedding? Is it large or small? Is there friends and/or family helping with this?

We had a "wedding planner" and I (MoB) still ended up sewing the MH into her dress 5 minutes before walking down the aisle. LOL Good luck to you! Everything will turn our fine!

vicster
07-02-2013, 02:15 PM
At least you're planning. My daughter got engaged New Year's Eve and has hardly done anything except book the venue. They built a new house and moved in a couple of weeks ago so that's taken a lot of her time. In addition, she's a teacher and they're going in two days a week to rewrite curriculum for Common Core. I'm starting to get nervous - she hasn't even picked out a dress - and she's remaining totally laid back. I'm seeing Bridezilla in the future - when school starts she'll have very little free time.

Maybe you can contact her and plan her wedding - LOL

disneymom15
07-02-2013, 04:17 PM
I'm one that you're talking about. My daughter got engaged on X-mas eve. Pretty much from the get go, they knew they would have a disney wedding. We did some prelim planning during our March trip. Heading down in 2 months to do food and cake tasting, flowers , linen, table ware, music, photo/video selections, etc. Last week we bought her dress (Vera Wang for Davids Bridal) GORGEOUS, if I do say so myself.
They've selected Lambeau Field for their reception back home. I must say, my daughter has done almost all of the planning so far. Husband and I try to keep our opinions to ourself, we want this wedding to be all about them. So far no stess, fingers crossed that it stays that way.

princessgirls
07-03-2013, 11:16 AM
I'm one that you're talking about. My daughter got engaged on X-mas eve. Pretty much from the get go, they knew they would have a disney wedding. We did some prelim planning during our March trip. Heading down in 2 months to do food and cake tasting, flowers , linen, table ware, music, photo/video selections, etc. Last week we bought her dress (Vera Wang for Davids Bridal) GORGEOUS, if I do say so myself.
They've selected Lambeau Field for their reception back home. I must say, my daughter has done almost all of the planning so far. Husband and I try to keep our opinions to ourself, we want this wedding to be all about them. So far no stess, fingers crossed that it stays that way.

Lambeau Field...That is awesome!!!!!
Love it!!!
I like your attitude, wanting the wedding to be all about them!!
Julie:mickey: