PDA

View Full Version : Fort Wilderness Campground

Williams5
07-01-2013, 04:14 PM
We just bought an RV and are going to try the campground out this fall (mid-October). We currently have a "preferred" site booked and a golf cart rental reserved.

We are the type that will spend most of our time in the parks.

I am wondering if the golf carts are needed for the entire trip if we are in the preferred sites which are supposed to be the closest.

Also, I'm reading some reviews about people who insist on premium sites over preferred sites. Something about concrete pad vs. sand, etc.

Can anyone offer any information here?

AndrewJackson
07-01-2013, 07:56 PM
The premium sites have a larger concrete pad, but you may not need it. The preferred sites are loops 100-300. 100 and 200 are really close to the marina and Magic Kingdom boat launch. loop 300 is a bit further. However, to get to the Epcot or Animal Kingdom, you have to get to the Outpost at the campground entrance.

My recommendation is loop 900. It is a premium loop, and it right across from the Meadow Trading Post, and the featured swimming pool. You can easily catch a bus, and save the money of renting a golf cart. If you are going to spend most the time in the parks, do you really want to pay $60/day for your golf cart to sit?

Just an idea.

By the way, there is a special camping discussion board here at Intercot. You may find better responses there.

faline
07-01-2013, 08:17 PM
In my opnion, having a golf cart is a matter of preference. We have stayed in a tent and a cabin a number of times - we never bothered to get a cart. While I'm sure it may have been fun to have one, we found we got around just fine without it.

Williams5
07-02-2013, 07:56 AM
By the way, there is a special camping discussion board here at Intercot. You may find better responses there.

Wow, I can't believe I overlooked that. We have been staying in resorts for years, so I had never previously even noticed that group. Thank you.

Dopey's Girl
07-02-2013, 08:24 AM
I've stayed at the fort a few times, both in an RV and in the cabins, and have never felt the need to have a golf cart. To me, saving the $60 a day is worth either a little bit of a walk, or taking the internal shuttle.

We were in a premium site, just because my friends RV was huge, but it was a great site!