PDA

View Full Version : What's Good That You've Read Lately?...

mickeys_princess_mom
06-30-2013, 07:39 PM
Taking a little trip to visit cousins and have a relaxing week. :cloud9: Would love to take a good book along for the plane ride and suntime. I loved Twilight series, but not up for much gorey stuff otherwise. :blush: Enjoy a good mystery, romance.... Ideas anyone?.....

denidale
06-30-2013, 08:16 PM
I liked Twilight too and would also recommend the Divergent series and the Maze Runner series. I'm a fan of young adult fiction even though I'm an "old lady" according to my teensagers!

mickeys_princess_mom
06-30-2013, 09:12 PM
I liked Twilight too and would also recommend the Divergent series and the Maze Runner series. I'm a fan of young adult fiction even though I'm an "old lady" according to my teensagers!

Wow! Your first post! I'm honored! Welcome to Intercot---lots of fun and nice Disney people here. :wave: Thanks, I will check these out!

disney obsessed
06-30-2013, 09:39 PM
No 1 ladies detective agency. There are about 10 books. While I cannot read anything else that Alexander McCall Smith writes, this series enchants me.

I have not read it yet but Dorthea Benton Frank has a new book out. I love everything else she has written.

mickeys_princess_mom
06-30-2013, 10:04 PM
I have not read it yet but Dorthea Benton Frank has a new book out. I love everything else she has written.

Googled her--these books appear to be kind of along the lines I'm looking for.
:thanks:

Dragongirlx
07-01-2013, 07:18 AM
I recently read the ocean at the end of the lane by Neil Gaiman and loved it

SBETigg
07-01-2013, 12:48 PM
I was reading Carl Hiaasen's Bad Monkey, but I had to stop to get back to writing my own book, which is due today and not done yet. So...why am I here?

I'm waiting to read Revenge Wears Prada, the sequel to Devil. And also loving the Phillipa Gregory Tudor historicals now.

clausjo
07-01-2013, 01:30 PM
I've been reading the Wicked Years books by Gregory Maguire (Wicked, Son of a Witch, A Lion Among Men, and Out of Oz.) Wicked is the book that the musical is based off of. I've just started the 3rd one. They're interesting and something completely different.

Dulcee
07-01-2013, 01:44 PM
I love all of Phillipa Gregory's novels. If you enjoy historical dramas/romances you'll like her books. She's easy ready.

Jodi Picoult is always a safe bet too.

IloveJack
07-01-2013, 02:42 PM
I was reading Carl Hiaasen's Bad Monkey, but I had to stop to get back to writing my own book, which is due today and not done yet. So...why am I here?.

Alright, I've seen over and over that you're a writer, or that you're attending conventions for the like. I must ask, what genre do you write? What titles have you written? You have my interest piqued.

SBETigg
07-01-2013, 03:44 PM
Alright, I've seen over and over that you're a writer, or that you're attending conventions for the like. I must ask, what genre do you write? What titles have you written? You have my interest piqued.

I'm working on my seventh novel now, which is going to be a historical romance, a three book series set in Edwardian England (like Downton Abbey). I've written women's fiction, historical romance, paranormal romance, and horror/comedy/sci-fi. That last combination comes in because booksellers seem to disagree on where to place my last two books on shelves. They were my most successful, sometimes called "classic mash-ups." Jane Slayre, for instance, was Jane Eyre reimagined with Jane as a vampire slayer. Not for everyone, but it was a fun project for me.

You can find me on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, any online bookseller, or my own website has a link on my profile here. I publish under Sherri Browning, Sherri Erwin, or Sherri Browning Erwin. And don't forget you can use the Amazon link through Intercot to buy books (which helps this site). I'm not the only writer around here, but I won't out anyone.:cool: I guess I tend to offer personal info more than I realized.

buzznwoodysmom
07-01-2013, 04:03 PM
If you enjoyed the Twilight series you might like the Hunger Games series. I read both and liked Hunger Games much more.

buzznwoodysmom
07-01-2013, 04:04 PM
I've been reading the Wicked Years books by Gregory Maguire (Wicked, Son of a Witch, A Lion Among Men, and Out of Oz.) Wicked is the book that the musical is based off of. I've just started the 3rd one. They're interesting and something completely different.

These sound interesting to me. We are getting ready to take a looong road trip and I will have some reading time in the next 2-3 weeks. A trip to the bookstore might be in order!

SBETigg
07-06-2013, 11:36 AM
Has anyone read Life After Life by Kate Atkinson yet? It has been getting some good buzz and looks interesting. A woman keeps reliving her life until she gets it right.

jillluvsdisney
07-12-2013, 07:15 PM
Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo.

Janmac
07-12-2013, 08:07 PM
Has anyone read Life After Life by Kate Atkinson yet? It has been getting some good buzz and looks interesting. A woman keeps reliving her life until she gets it right.

Haven't read it but (and apologies for this :D)

it's a horror story, right?

Just a bit of a joke; some days are hard enough going through once.

Can't help with any book titles - I'm in a Richard Stark/Sam Eastland rut currently. With some Anne Perry (Monk series) thrown in occasionally.

Btw, love Hiaasen.

Jan

PCruzer
07-21-2013, 01:58 PM
Taking a little trip to visit cousins and have a relaxing week. :cloud9: Would love to take a good book along for the plane ride and suntime. I loved Twilight series, but not up for much gorey stuff otherwise. :blush: Enjoy a good mystery, romance.... Ideas anyone?.....Not sure if my response is too late for your trip or not, but check out "On the Island" by Tracy Garvis-Graves. Good story line and very fast read. Anyone I have recommended it to has loved it!

mickeys_princess_mom
07-21-2013, 06:20 PM
Not sure if my response is too late for your trip or not, but check out "On the Island" by Tracy Garvis-Graves. Good story line and very fast read. Anyone I have recommended it to has loved it!

Thanks! Glad to see these are still rolling in even after my trip! Thanks to my Disney pals here I've discovered Dorothea Benton Frank, finished my first book of hers, and have already checked out two more! Right on it, Disney Obsessed! Thanks so much~I love her style! I am grateful for all these suggestions and enjoying checking them all out! Will bring some on my upcoming Disney trip for pool time!
:thanks:

disney obsessed
07-21-2013, 07:22 PM
Your welcome!

DonLefNY
07-22-2013, 11:08 AM
Just finished THE LONG GREY LINE by Rick Atkinson. It's about the West Point class of 1966.

Arielfan98
07-22-2013, 11:25 AM
This may not fit your description of a typical book but I would highly recommend the book "Zeitoun" [Zay-toon] by Dave Eggers, about a man named Zeitoun who stays behind during Hurricane Katrina while his wife and family leave. Zeitoun stays behind to help others after the storm. The book shows you how America is not the country you think it is with Justice, Freedom during a time of chaos. I got it used from amazon and it was really addicting.

mickeys_princess_mom
07-25-2013, 09:21 PM
This may not fit your description of a typical book but I would highly recommend the book "Zeitoun" [Zay-toon] by Dave Eggers, about a man named Zeitoun who stays behind during Hurricane Katrina while his wife and family leave. Zeitoun stays behind to help others after the storm. The book shows you how America is not the country you think it is with Justice, Freedom during a time of chaos. I got it used from amazon and it was really addicting.
Thanks, but that's a memory we try not to relive. Appreciate the thought, though.

Tiggerlovr9000
07-26-2013, 11:57 AM
If you like romance I would try books by Beverly Lewis. Her books are set in Amish country. I just love them. I like that there is no profanity or x rated affection. It's romance, mystery, and problems that you hear in today's world. I just wish she could write faster because I have read all her books.

mickeys_princess_mom
07-26-2013, 03:14 PM
If you like romance I would try books by Beverly Lewis. Her books are set in Amish country. I just love them. I like that there is no profanity or x rated affection. It's romance, mystery, and problems that you hear in today's world. I just wish she could write faster because I have read all her books.

Thanks, I'll check her out! It's so nice to have time to actually just read for fun again, without having to pour over textbooks and manuals! :mickey:

SBETigg
07-26-2013, 04:24 PM
I just met Kristan Higgins at a conference and she was totally charming, so I've started reading some of her books, starting with Too Good to Be True. Really fun, zippy book. I laughed, cried. She reminds me of Janet Evanovich with more romance and no mystery.

TheVBs
07-27-2013, 02:10 PM
I recently read the ocean at the end of the lane by Neil Gaiman and loved it

I loved that book too! Really loved The Graveyard Book.

NJGIRL
08-01-2013, 10:03 AM
Catherine Coulter's FBI series is very good.

I loved reading the Stephanie Plum series also, but am stopping at 18 because the last couple of books, for me at least, have become stale.

Over the past year I have been watching "Bones" reruns on TV and love the show now. The show has me interested in reading the creators books. I think it's neat how her book's main character is the character on the show...and how on the show the main character writes books and her character in the books is the actual real life writer. I know a little confusing. :D

TinkerbellT421
08-01-2013, 10:08 AM
I'm a huge Stephen King fan, you may like his 11/22/63 or even Duma Key was a really good read, but maybe a little on the "gorey" side. I'm in the process of reading Under The Dome, which I have had forever, and it's bigger than a dictionary lol so that takes a while to get through. I enjoy of the House of Night series, along the same lines as Twilight but 10 times better in my opinion, quick easy reads and I find them utterly addictive. I also am in the middle of reading the Amanda Knox biography, that is really well written and very interesting to see how different the justice system is between Italy and America.