PDA

View Full Version : Need your Secrets!

LovinWDW
06-30-2013, 12:02 PM
Having been to the world several time and loving each adventure, we always look to do or try as many DIFFERENT things as possible. We have a lot of our own traditions that we look forward to on every trip like our cinnamon roll from Staring Roles, school bread and DTD the first night we arrive. What are some of the "little things" that you look forward to and must do on each trip? Please include both parks ans resorts.

We also always play a game from the airport and try to guess the first Disney billboard we see on our way to the resort. Just another way to get into the magic.

MrPeetrie
06-30-2013, 03:12 PM
LovinWDW, one of the traditions we started doing a few trips back we actually learned from here: on the night before our departure day, we shop at the Disney Store, have dinner at Joe's Crab Shack and talk Disney, then stay at a motel near the airport. It sort of starts the whole trip one day earlier.

Here are some others:

Go to Downtown Disney on arrival day for some "mood" shopping.
Go to Magic Kingdom on first full day on property.
Go to Hoop Dee Do Review.
Take boat ride from DTD to Port Orleans French Quarter for some beignets.
Have "inverse dinner" at Ghirardelli's. (i.e. all the ice cream you can eat first, followed by dinner if you have any room left.)
Shop at MouseGear!!!!!
See Fantasmic and Illuminations at least once each trip.
Order room service at least once each trip.
Eat breakfast at Chef Mickey's before hopping monorail to Epcot.

These are just a few things we seem to do on every trip. I'm sure there are much more, but I'll let some others post their traditions.

MN_Dad
06-30-2013, 09:06 PM
*Our first full day is always AK, my oldest DD's favorite park!
*We take the girls pictures by the Little Mermaid at BCV.
*Dole Whip!
*We try to get in all the night time shows. My wife's favorite is Fantasmic and mine is Illuminations, but we enjoy Wishes too.
*Last we try to do something 'extra' each trip, Hoop Dee Doo, Mickey's BBQ, MNSSHP, etc...
*Oh, and Breakfast at Cinderella's castle is a mainstay!

thejens
06-30-2013, 11:58 PM
A recent thing we started doing is to buy pins off ebay for trading. Fun and boys learned to talk to folks. Also, not as much waiting in lines as for signatures!!! We have fun going through the ebay pins: everyone pics one at a time taking turns. Sometimes we like the ebay ones and find it hard to trade!! :)

Always do Wishes!

I love the ambiance of the AKL pool and enjoy seeing all the animals and birds. So tranquil.

Monrail and getting out at Contemporary, for restaurant or just to see it.

Love having a cocktail at Polynesian pool area.

Have to have a rice krispy dipped in chocolate micky.

Fun to have kids get hair done in Main Street Barbershop with colors and Mickey confettis.

Love love love the trolley singers on Main Street. My very favorite.

Ice cream cookie sandwich at the ice cream parlor on Main Street.

Watching the monkeys (or whatever they are) near EE in AK first thing in the morning.

Davine.

The silly drive in cars at SciFi.

The horrible nescafe mixed with hot chocolate to make it palatable in my Disney travel mug.

I like to linger outside in Epcot and enjoy the music that makes me know I am there.

Just a few things I love.

EJS-Houston
07-01-2013, 11:02 AM
Being a big movie fan, I love finding the "Singin' in the Rain" photo op in Disney Hollywood Studios. It's a metal umbrella affixed to an old-fashioned lamp-post, and if you stand under it, it triggers a shower spigot positioned right over the umbrella, so it rains when you have your picture taken pretending you're Gene Kelly on set. I was mildly disappointed when I was last there because they'd disabled the spigot because (presumably) the Osborne lights were already installed. But check it out, it's a fun little thing that most people don't know about.

indytraveler
07-01-2013, 01:06 PM
At MK, watch parade from same spot in Frontierland, walk to spot for Wishes, then its ice cream from Main Street and the Plaza Ice Cream Parlor. Followed by shopping down Main St. (then back up Main St. bc you couldn't make up your mind on what you really want.)

Then try to make the last tram back to the parking lot. (have missed it 1x and have taken the last tram 2x) Its always nice when the tram driver asks where you parked.

FantasmicJ
07-01-2013, 01:36 PM
We always try to:

Visit Magic Kingdom our first and last nights if possible to see Wishes and the nighttime parade.

Go to Kona Cafe at the Polynesian for Tonga Toast - we usually do it the morning after a late night out at the parks, sleep in and have a late breakfast.

Ride Thunder Mountain at night.

See the nighttime spectacular at every park during our stay, hopefully multiple times.

Eat a character meal (favorite so far is Donald's Safari Breakfast).

waymickey
07-01-2013, 05:52 PM
We always try to go to the horse barn at Fort Wilderness to see the horses and then go to the petting farm.

We rent bikes at WL and go for a ride through the woods.

We always try to find paintbrushes at TSI. so far husband is 3-3 and I am 0-3.

Do MK everyday we are there!

Get birthday button for DD as we always go for her birthday.

Go to Aunt Pollys on TSI and get an ice cream and sit in the rockers and watch the "World" Around us.

Rent boats and cruise around seven seas lagoon!

Susan A
07-02-2013, 03:20 PM
I like to watch the spitting camel at the Flying Carpet ride in Adventure Land. It is great to see unsuspecting get wet!!!

LVT
07-03-2013, 12:15 PM
We try to find new areas to view the MK fireworks from. Back, boat, off to the side, whatever. They are slightly different from other angles.

Find a regular boat transportation taking off toward the fireworks or electric water parade.
We have been fortunate with many captains making a show of it.

Ride each kind of transportation at least once.
Boat, ferry, monorail, bus, train and even the segway tours.

LudwigVonDrake
07-06-2013, 03:47 PM
Magic Kingdom is the first and last park visited :mickey:

DisneyDawgette
07-06-2013, 10:13 PM
Being a big movie fan, I love finding the "Singin' in the Rain" photo op in Disney Hollywood Studios. It's a metal umbrella affixed to an old-fashioned lamp-post, and if you stand under it, it triggers a shower spigot positioned right over the umbrella, so it rains when you have your picture taken pretending you're Gene Kelly on set. I was mildly disappointed when I was last there because they'd disabled the spigot because (presumably) the Osborne lights were already installed. But check it out, it's a fun little thing that most people don't know about.

Where is this?! I love that movie and DHS, and I haven't ever seen it!

- For us, we almost ALWAYS visit EPCOT first, and the first ride is Spaceship Earth. :)

- There is always a Dole Whip float in store. But pineapple soft-serve and coke, not vanilla soft-serve. :cloud9:

- Get the BBQ Slaw dog at Casey's on Main Street. Worth every penny (and calorie)!

- Ears that are embroidered with the date of the trip. DBF says this is a giant waste of money, I say otherwise. :)

- If we are arriving at a decent hour, we start our trip with a fantastic dinner at Raglan Road in DTD. We also end our time with one last trip to DTD for final decisions on souvenirs and a churro (or two)!

- Locating the key under the mat in Muppet Vision 3D.

- Hidden Mickey Hunt Competition... We all try and see who can find the most Hidden Mickey's on the trip! We even start on the road and look for accidental ones in gas stations, etc... Last time, we were waiting for the Monorail at the TTA and it looked like someone had spilled Oreo's at the gate... You can guess that there was a "Hidden Mickey" or two in the wreckage! ;)

Have a great trip!

WDW&MK
07-07-2013, 12:47 PM
MK is always 1st and last. On our last day at MK, as we are leaving the park, DH and I stop and turn around to look at the castle from the round-about at the front of main st. It's my tearing up moment - kind of "til we see you again".
Have to have my mango margarita in Mexico :marg:.
DH and I take turns picking out and buying a piece of "art". For a few years it was the big figurines and since it's been smaller ceramics or something as the big figs haven't had much new lately.
Make sure to enjoy the sparkly pavement on the way out of Epcot at night - very magical to me :blush:.

EJS-Houston
07-08-2013, 11:54 AM
[QUOTE=DisneyDawgette;2361847]Where is this?! I love that movie and DHS, and I haven't ever seen it!

It's right across from the entrance to the Lights, Motors, Action Extreme Stunt Show. I say most people don't know about it because every time I come across it everyone simply walks past it and doesn't even notice it. I hope you'll make a point to find it next time you're there. Enjoy!

IamBelle
07-11-2013, 10:03 AM
One of my favorite things to do is the Wishes dessert party near the Tomorrowland Terrace Noodle Station. You get a wonderful view of the fireworks without having to stand crowded on Main Street, and you get to eat as much dessert as you want! This has become a tradition in my family, since they started the dessert party, we have not seen Wishes any other way!!

hauntedmansiongirl
07-14-2013, 04:57 AM
We love going to see Yehaa Bob Jackson at Port Orleans Riverside. It is a free show and so "Disney!" We have to see him at least once every trip! If we aren't staying at POR we take the boat from Downtown Disney- making it an extra special trip! :mickey:

MrPeetrie
07-14-2013, 02:57 PM
This is not related to the OP's post, but there are click-able hyperlinks in my previous post that I did not put there! I am not trying to re-direct anyone to any site. I'm not sure how they got there!

BrowncatP
07-14-2013, 05:10 PM
Last night of the trip I always go the the MK and stay until I drop or the park closes. As I walk down Main Street, to leave,:mickey: I say goodbye to Walt and thank him for another great trip.

Venus0880
07-14-2013, 07:21 PM
Before the trip we always start by watching videos of the parks, planning days, meals.

First partial day always at downtown Disney. Second day is always Epcot with the last day mk. I HAVE to eat at least one meal in Mexico.

This post is making me so sad as I do not know when I'm going back!

kurt
07-16-2013, 10:31 AM
eat at the biergarten,pirates of the carribean, haunted mansion, illuminations, eat at the sci-fi dine in theater, big thunder railroad

AvonleaCF
07-16-2013, 04:33 PM
I don't think I really have any secrets, as much as I just have things I like to do.

I've been trying to go to Disney 1x per year, and at first I was very gung-ho about hitting the rides and going from ride to ride to ride over and over without doing much else. Now I've calmed down a lot. I take my time and stop for lots of breaks.

So what I like to do is get a cold treat (like a frozen lemonade or frozen mocha or something like that that can be enjoyed for a while), find a shady spot, and sit and relax and people watch. I can spend up to an hour doing that.

I also like to take the time to visit Tom Sawyer Island at MK. It's never very crowded and I enjoy walking all over the island and exploring.

Sometimes I'll spend an afternoon at the park just visiting all the shops and anything else that doesn't have a line.

And then I like to just spend time at the resort appreciating the grounds and taking in the scenery.

Goofy Fan
07-16-2013, 07:13 PM
Hmm...let's see:

- MK is always the last park visited (it used to be the first park visited as well, but we eased back on that in recent years) - like many of you, once I reach the end of Main Street on the way out for the last time, I turn around and say a final good-bye to the castle...until next time!

- Gotta have a Dole Whip at least once - the same can be said for Tonga Toast at the Poly

- Watch the Electrical Water Pageant on the Seven Seas Lagoon from our balcony at BLT

- Have dinner at Cape May Cafe

Boost
07-21-2013, 06:34 PM
When we drive under the character sign before the parking gate at MK, we all raise our hands in the car and say, "Whooooo!" (I keep one hand on the wheel)....

We also play a game where we see who will be the first one to see the first monorail of the day (usually on the EPCOT track)....

We love our WDW trips.

frozman
07-21-2013, 07:48 PM
When I stayed at Port Orleans Riverside I enjoyed wandering around trying to find the 5-6 quiet pools without looking at a map. A challenge given how spread out the resort is!

Giggy
07-27-2013, 09:10 AM
This one may be incredibly geeky but last time we went I was seeing how many of the monorail trains I saw in the vacation. I have the pictures of them somewhere, my sister laughed at me and my monorail pics! :blush:

bunkyg
07-27-2013, 12:56 PM
Ok I probably shouldn't give this one up but...

In MK, Tony's town square. It opens at 4:00 and if you are there a bit earlier you can be seated without a ADR even if the restaurant is booked solid for the nite. It may not always work but we've never been turned away.

Jen1984
08-04-2013, 03:28 AM

I have NEVER seen this! They have the same in DisneylandParis and you're right, it's a great photo op! Where can I find this? Thank you!

Gauis2001
08-09-2013, 11:17 AM
While intransit to WDW we play 20 questions "where am I in WDW"...you'd be surprised at how finite these places are and it really challenges your knowledge of the resort area

N2DisneyWorld
08-11-2013, 01:06 PM
We have to eat at Pecos Bill's each trip. LOVE the hamburgers. We always get ice cream at the ice cream shop on Main Street and we always get a Mickey ice cream bar at some point during our trip. :mickey:

Mrs Bus Driver
08-11-2013, 06:42 PM
Have at least one morning where nothing is planned and take the first bus that comes along to where ever. Fun to see where we end up by the end of the day. :mickey:

Kenny1113
08-12-2013, 04:46 PM
Ok I probably shouldn't give this one up but...

In MK, Tony's town square. It opens at 4:00 and if you are there a bit earlier you can be seated without a ADR even if the restaurant is booked solid for the nite. It may not always work but we've never been turned away.

We have done this a couple of times with garden grill when it was open for lunch.

Crow
08-12-2013, 11:29 PM
Epcot is my fav so I try to go there most days.
Eat in Japan and have sake.:marg:
See Illuminations twice. Try Beverly in Club Cool.
walk from Epcot to DHS or take the boat, cut throught Boardwalk pool area if you walk.
schoolbread, Dole Whip...although I miss them sometimes.
DHS- Key at Muppets under the Mat, Star Tours a few times to experience the diff rides. walk thru the Walt exhibit and animation and see the person working in the gift shop who does cels. TOT and RNR of course.
check the resorts. take the boat to DD from POFQ or OKW.

azcavalier
08-13-2013, 09:37 AM
Yeah, no secrets. But we have traditions.

One thing we like to do is to see if the kids can tie posters, restaurants, etc to Disney movies. Since some are older or more obscure, it's a challenge. I don't think our kids could tie the Sleepy Hollow refreshment stand or the Friar's Nook to a Disney movie, for example. But sometimes they surprise us! Some of the references you find at the MK and DHS are pretty hard.