PDA

View Full Version : Resale prices rebounding

MarkC
06-27-2013, 11:09 PM
This may be a sign that the economy is improving. It appears resale prices on Disney timeshares at the Timeshare Store are much, much higher than they were just a few months ago. I follow Beach Club more closely than the others since that's where ours is, and those points are almost always sold out instantly anymore. Other locations also have significant price increases. I guess that's a good sign unless you were waiting to buy. I'm not planning on selling but it makes me consider it.

Ms. Mode
06-28-2013, 07:30 AM
I read somewhere that if you buy on the resale market you aren't eligible for all the Disney perks that come with the DVC; is that true?

Pirate Granny
06-28-2013, 07:40 AM
Yes, buying resale you cannot use points for cruises, adventures by Disney or swap out for hotels...BUT those are all a poor use ans expensive use of your points. NOW the price resale is 2/3 the price of purchasing directly for disney...RESALE for me...

disneymom15
06-28-2013, 09:39 AM
This may be a sign that the economy is improving. It appears resale prices on Disney timeshares at the Timeshare Store are much, much higher than they were just a few months ago. I follow Beach Club more closely than the others since that's where ours is, and those points are almost always sold out instantly anymore. Other locations also have significant price increases. I guess that's a good sign unless you were waiting to buy. I'm not planning on selling but it makes me consider it.

I've noticed this too, I follow BLT and have seen points price increases by as much as $25.

Mrs Bus Driver
06-28-2013, 10:12 AM
Prices went up because Disney is opening new resort and raising their prices. Also its summer and prices always go up in summer. January seems to be the lowest time of year. I also watch prices and have noticed them starting to settle and in some cases go down. I believe once the new wears off Gf and slow seasons start (people not going on vacation) you will see prices start to come down. As far as the economy goes, there may be more jobs but they don't pay much. Most people in the same jobs for years haven't seen a raise in years, at least not one that keeps up with price increases. People have less disposable income not more. IMHO the price increase is temporary within a few months it will go back down. Maybe not all the way but most of it.

Hammer
06-28-2013, 03:16 PM
Prices went up because Disney is opening new resort and raising their prices. Also its summer and prices always go up in summer. January seems to be the lowest time of year. I also watch prices and have noticed them starting to settle and in some cases go down. I believe once the new wears off Gf and slow seasons start (people not going on vacation) you will see prices start to come down...

IMHO the price increase is temporary within a few months it will go back down. Maybe not all the way but most of it.

The reason the prices went up is twofold:

Disney raised the prices for the sales of older resorts (BWV, OKW, BCV, etc.)

DVC is exercising ROFR (Right of First Refusal) on resales where the prices were seen as too low by them

For a sale to go through ROFR, the price has to be raised to a figure which may get through. Because of this, I do not think the prices will be going down anytime soon for most DVC properties.

Mrs Bus Driver
07-02-2013, 10:07 PM
Am starting to see prices in $65 range for OKW and SS. Saw $40 today for VB.

Hammer
07-03-2013, 12:01 AM
Vero Beach and Hilton Head are usually priced lower because their dues are much higher than the other DVC resorts.

People can list for any price they want, but it is becoming more common for Disney to exercise ROFR on these contracts. Most contracts currently making it through ROFR are priced closer to $70 a point. As a comparison, contracts in 2011-2012 for OKW were making it through as low as $55 a point. I purchased an additional 98 point contract at OKW for $58 a point in October 2011.

There isn't any problem trying to buy one of these low price contracts, but be prepared that it may not make it through ROFR.