PDA

View Full Version : Fast Pass +

retiredfigment
06-25-2013, 06:19 PM
I am not sure if anyone knows the answer to this yet, but here goes. I was reading on another site how they think the Fast Pass + will work. Basically choosing your fast pass for attractions before you even get to DW. Does Disney plan on eliminating the 'old fast pass' system completely. As it is, I am bummed that I have to make dining reservations so soon, now will I have to plan which park I plan on visiting in advance?

MargaretMessler
06-25-2013, 07:53 PM
I am not sure if anyone knows the answer to this yet, but here goes. I was reading on another site how they think the Fast Pass + will work. Basically choosing your fast pass for attractions before you even get to DW. Does Disney plan on eliminating the 'old fast pass' system completely. As it is, I am bummed that I have to make dining reservations so soon, now will I have to plan which park I plan on visiting in advance?

Glad to see someone else besides me not thrilled about this latest "improvement"...I just can't stand the thought of needing to put that much planning into a vacation.

DizneyFreak2002
06-25-2013, 08:10 PM
In one word, YES...

The current FP system will be eradicated by the braniacs at TDO... You will be booking FP+ 60 days (plus 10 in staying on property) from arrival date for THREE FP+ one park a day... So, if you decide you want to park hop, you can only pick 3 FP+ time slots for one of those parks, for three rides or experiences in that one park... (Park hopping from MK to Epcot, you can only pick 3FP+ for either Epcot or MK, not both)...

retiredfigment
06-25-2013, 10:54 PM
Good Grief..... my head is spinning!

Posterchild
06-26-2013, 06:15 AM
Mine too, I can hardly decide my meals. Not what rides I want two months out.

My wife used to preach "spontaneity" to me, and I did not like it (I like to plan), but this form of organization for a vacation is downright silly.

retiredfigment
06-26-2013, 08:20 AM
Maybe I will put all my choices on the wall with sticky notes and throw darts. LOL

MickeysBestPal
06-26-2013, 09:52 AM
Maybe I will put all my choices on the wall with sticky notes and throw darts. LOL

From rumored possibilites, Disney may do something akin to that FOR you.

It's said that you can just let "the system" pick some FP+ reservations automatically.

DizneyFreak2002
06-26-2013, 07:20 PM
Here is a little more info:

When booking your FP+, you should be asked what block of the day you are looking for (early, mid day, late day, all day) Then the available times will be presented... At that point, you'll choose your experience (attractions, entertainment, food)...

You'll still have a one hour window to use that FP+ or you lose it... The current enforcement will stay in place, which is 5 minutes early and 15 minutes late... So a 1:00 to 2:00 FP+ will be good for 12:55 to 2:15...

And for anyone questioning, it is three FP+ a day for one park only... Cannot combine with other parks during the same day... You will be able to change your FP+ day of, at a kiosk ONLY if you have not used your first FP+ already.. If you did, the remaining two become locked in and cannot be changed...

Susan A
06-26-2013, 09:26 PM
Oh, this is becoming way too complicated for me. Regular planning already gives me anxiety. I want to plan the perfect trip and then I get information overload. I guess spontaneity is going out the window...

DizneyFreak2002
06-26-2013, 10:12 PM
Oh, this is becoming way too complicated for me. Regular planning already gives me anxiety. I want to plan the perfect trip and then I get information overload. I guess spontaneity is going out the window...

Disney is killing spontaneity, AP holders, and locals with this idiotic program... Again, TDO: if it ain't broke, BREAK IT, if it is broke, don't fix it... Costs too much money!!!!

Fangorn
06-26-2013, 10:30 PM
And for anyone questioning, it is three FP+ a day for one park only... Cannot combine with other parks during the same day... You will be able to change your FP+ day of, at a kiosk ONLY if you have not used your first FP+ already.. If you did, the remaining two become locked in and cannot be changed...

And with my cynicism fully showing (no, wait, that's realism) ...

I foresee a day not too distant when TDO announces that their guests are begging them to allow "FastPass+ Park Hopping" and so, for the small additional fee of $64/ticket (plus tax), guests will be able to get FP+ at more than one park per day. It will be touted as if it is the most wondrous thing TDO has ever done for their guests.

:(

Steve

DizneyFreak2002
06-26-2013, 10:33 PM
And with my cynicism fully showing (no, wait, that's realism) ...

I foresee a day not too distant when TDO announces that their guests are begging them to allow "FastPass+ Park Hopping" and so, for the small additional fee of $64/ticket (plus tax), guests will be able to get FP+ at more than one park per day. It will be touted as if it is the most wondrous thing TDO has ever done for their guests.

:(

Steve
SHHHHH don't give them any ideas... Actually, you aren't far off... Original plans did call for this to be a pay for play system... The more you decided to hand over to Disney, the more FP+ allotments you were given...

Fangorn
06-26-2013, 11:20 PM
SHHHHH don't give them any ideas... .

I thought about not saying it for fear of giving them ideas, but then I realized that there's no possible way they hadn't thought of it already.

This whole NextGen thing, while containing the occasional interesting idea, is so obviously designed to separate guests from even more of their money, allow TDO to reduce operating costs (and service) by knowing months in advance precisely how many people will be doing what, where; all while providing nothing new, creative or entertaining (unless you count being on your phone app as entertaining) to the guest experience. Is the point of going to WDW now going to be just a game to see if I can get the "best" ADRs and the "best" FP+ and meet the "best" characters? Is my enjoyment now supposed to be in the knowledge that I beat you by getting a FP+ for TSMM and you didn't? If so, they could just shut down the parks completely (think of the savings!) and do it all in a phone app!

Sorry for the rant and the negativity. I've spent the past few months working with a client (also a universally known company) that wants to do similar, very destructive things, and I'm afraid I'm not dealing well with the rampant stupidity in parts of the business community at the moment.

Steve

DizneyFreak2002
06-26-2013, 11:28 PM
I thought about not saying it for fear of giving them ideas, but then I realized that there's no possible way they hadn't thought of it already.

This whole NextGen thing, while containing the occasional interesting idea, is so obviously designed to separate guests from even more of their money, allow TDO to reduce operating costs (and service) by knowing months in advance precisely how many people will be doing what, where; all while providing nothing new, creative or entertaining (unless you count being on your phone app as entertaining) to the guest experience. Is the point of going to WDW now going to be just a game to see if I can get the "best" ADRs and the "best" FP+ and meet the "best" characters? Is my enjoyment now supposed to be in the knowledge that I beat you by getting a FP+ for TSMM and you didn't? If so, they could just shut down the parks completely (think of the savings!) and do it all in a phone app!

Sorry for the rant and the negativity. I've spent the past few months working with a client (also a universally known company) that wants to do similar, very destructive things, and I'm afraid I'm not dealing well with the rampant stupidity in parts of the business community at the moment.

Steve
It is okay Steve.. Rant away... I been ranting for a long time now LOL... And there is no such thing as negativity... Negativity is a term created by Disney-philes who cannot stand to hear the truth about their most beloved place... Seriously, some people just have a hard time living in real world... WDW to them is real life... Real world.. If anything bad is said, even though it is the truth, they get bent out of shape, their life is turned upside down... They get the sweats, they can't breath, and they then try to get you banned, or shut up one way or the other... Some people just cannot handle the truth...

TRUTH: You are constantly paying more for less at WDW
TRUTH: WDW is not worth the price of admission anymore
TRUTH: TDO wants to keep you under mouse arrest..
TRUTH: NextGen has nothing to do with guest satisfaction and everything to do with pulling more money from the guests' wallets
TRUTH: Disney can no longer (or chooses not to) compete with Universal... While Universal builds new exciting rides, huge land expansions that ARE worth the cost (oh and built a heck of a lot quicker than Disney builds, I mean look Diagon Alley will be opening the same time as the kiddie coaster 7DMT, and Diagon Alley will include TWO huge E-tickets with several C ticket experiences, and construction was started in DA several months after 7DMT), Disney wants to give guests bands for their wrists, and force them to stay on property and not venture off to see new exciting things.. Almost pathetically, a lot of online fans think these are the best things to happen since sliced bread!!!

Sad thing is, too many people are afraid to venture off property... They feel like they are cheating on their spouse, or the dead guy and the rat they worship with a messed up cult like following may strike them down with a bolt of pixie dust laced lightning...

Ok, now my rant is over.. :)

Mrs Bus Driver
06-27-2013, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the rants I agree Corporate America is out of touch this includes Disney. As far as FP+ goes, have always expected to hear that
1. staying on property guest will get more then 3
2. higher end resorts will get even more, example Deluxe 10 Value 5 Moderates 7 or 8
But that is just MHO. Even now while planning my trip am trying to convince DD to spend a few days at Universal.

retiredfigment
06-27-2013, 08:43 AM
Wow, previouser posters gave me a lot to think about. And I just came on this time to ask if you will have to wear the wrist band. I hate to wear a watch when it is hot, can't even imagine wearing that think when it is 100 degrees. Maybe it is time to start changing up my yearly vacation plans!

Dulcee
06-27-2013, 09:08 AM
We used fast pass +. Honestly, it wasn't bad. We liked it. We got on TSM without having to run to the back of the park. We were able to walk on the Great Movie Ride timed exactly before out lunch ressie. We were able to see the new Little Mermaid ride without worrying about waits during peak hours.

And I have to counterpoint this post...

TRUTH: You are constantly paying more for less at WDW
TRUTH: WDW is not worth the price of admission anymore

An all inclusive week at WDW is still a pretty great price when compared to a week at the NJ shore, dude ranch in Montana or a ski trip to Canada. We've priced them all out along with many others. People yell about the price of admission but at the end of the day its less or right on par with many other vacations on this side of the globe.

TRUTH: TDO wants to keep you under mouse arrest..

And Universal doesn't? The primary goal of ANY major attraction is to keep you and your wallet there. Disney is not a non-profit and they'd be stupid not to try to keep you on property as much as possible.

TRUTH: NextGen has nothing to do with guest satisfaction and everything to do with pulling more money from the guests' wallets

Next Gen has a ton to do with guest satisfication. Fact of the matter is for new guests WDW is overwhelmingly huge. Most new guests say they want anything to streamline the process, NextGen does that. It allows people to pick out a few main attractions in advance with the knowledge that they'll get what they want, when they want. Further it does allow WDW to see where and when guests frequent areas. Its minute by minute crowd control, yet another common complaint of guests.

TRUTH: Disney can no longer (or chooses not to) compete with Universal... While Universal builds new exciting rides, huge land expansions that ARE worth the cost (oh and built a heck of a lot quicker than Disney builds, I mean look Diagon Alley will be opening the same time as the kiddie coaster 7DMT, and Diagon Alley will include TWO huge E-tickets with several C ticket experiences, and construction was started in DA several months after 7DMT), Disney wants to give guests bands for their wrists, and force them to stay on property and not venture off to see new exciting things.. Almost pathetically, a lot of online fans think these are the best things to happen since sliced bread!!!

Disney hits a pretty different demographic then Universal. DH likes Universal because he's a big fan of thrill rides. I'd take a dark ride over a thrill ride any day of the week. Our close friends who frequented Universal as a young couple have switched to WDW with having their two kids. WDW still continues to be the family park of the US and around the world. While Universal saw some great numbers at IOA last year they still have a long way to go to even begin to compete with the MK.

DizneyFreak2002
06-27-2013, 05:23 PM
Wow, previouser posters gave me a lot to think about. And I just came on this time to ask if you will have to wear the wrist band. I hate to wear a watch when it is hot, can't even imagine wearing that think when it is 100 degrees. Maybe it is time to start changing up my yearly vacation plans!

You won't have to wear the bands... You can put them in your pocket or opt for an RFID card instead... Of course, if you do that, than the extras you will get with the bands will not be afforded to you with the RFID card...

DizneyFreak2002
06-27-2013, 05:40 PM
We used fast pass +. Honestly, it wasn't bad. We liked it. We got on TSM without having to run to the back of the park. We were able to walk on the Great Movie Ride timed exactly before out lunch ressie. We were able to see the new Little Mermaid ride without worrying about waits during peak hours.

You realize you were a guinnea pig doing testing right? You do realize once this is live to the 18 million who enter MK a year, this will be a much greater disaster...

An all inclusive week at WDW is still a pretty great price when compared to a week at the NJ shore, dude ranch in Montana or a ski trip to Canada. We've priced them all out along with many others. People yell about the price of admission but at the end of the day its less or right on par with many other vacations on this side of the globe.If you can swing a WDW vacation, then you can swing a trip to Canada, or Grand Canyon or a number of other places... Why are you or others afraid to venture out and see the country, or the world? You won't melt... Don't worry...

And Universal doesn't? The primary goal of ANY major attraction is to keep you and your wallet there. Disney is not a non-profit and they'd be stupid not to try to keep you on property as much as possible.I don't believe I ever said Universal doesn't... However, they are doing what they have to do now to keep you on property... WDW isn't... They are trying to make it harder for guests to leave by making them plan potty breaks, not giving them more to do and a reason to stay... A week trip to Orlando for the vacationer was, at one point, 5-6 days in WDW, 1 day at either Universal or SeaWorld.. Now, it is 3-4 days at Disney, 2-3 days at Universal and MAYBE one day at SeaWorld... SeaWorld has been the biggest loser so far with IOA's huge gains since WWOHP opened... So, what is Disney doing to combat the loss of guest days and spending? Magic Bands, forced micromanaging...

Next Gen has a ton to do with guest satisfication. Fact of the matter is for new guests WDW is overwhelmingly huge. Most new guests say they want anything to streamline the process, NextGen does that. It allows people to pick out a few main attractions in advance with the knowledge that they'll get what they want, when they want. Further it does allow WDW to see where and when guests frequent areas. Its minute by minute crowd control, yet another common complaint of guests.You pretty much admitted the Nextgen program is a benefit for Disney not the guest... There is very little for the guest benefit to make their experiences more magical... Seriously, if not having to take your card out of your pocket is making WDW more magical, then some people need to look at their life and re-examine what really is a hardship...

Remember when FP was meant to cause an increase in spending because guests weren't waiting in lines? Yea, it failed... Guests weren't increasing their spending... They were using the system to benefit themselves.. Which, in this case, FP succeeded... But it really wound up being a failure on the books... Guests did not increase spending as Disney has hoped...

NextGen is the next phase to try to part you with your money in the disguise of enhanced guest experiences... Yet, there is nothing there to enhance your experience... Great, you can book a ride 60 days out... You know what? You lose that time you saved by increased wait times on rides which FP should never be a consideration... The hope is the same: spend less time on lines, more times in shops... Didn't happen before, is not happening now, won't happen with this is live... And what will they do to make the $2 billion back? Charge for FP+.... wait and see.. Enhanced guest experience???

Disney hits a pretty different demographic then Universal. DH likes Universal because he's a big fan of thrill rides. I'd take a dark ride over a thrill ride any day of the week. Our close friends who frequented Universal as a young couple have switched to WDW with having their two kids. WDW still continues to be the family park of the US and around the world. While Universal saw some great numbers at IOA last year they still have a long way to go to even begin to compete with the MK.You are right... Disney hit the 5 year old girl demographic... Universal targets everyone else who does not want to be bombed with princesses every 5 feet... Universal is also more than thrill rides... WDW actually has more thrill rides than Universal... Is WDW a thrill park? Also, WDW is not a theme park... MK is a theme park, DAK is a theme park... WDW is not a theme park...

BTW, Universal does NOT have to pull in 10 -18 million guests to be beating Disney and to be taking a chunk out of Disney... WDW fans want to always tout the attendance... But, the real key is guest spending... Fact is, WDW guest spending is down to flat... IOA/Universal guest spending continues to increase dramatically... Iger and Rasulo always try to say guest spending is up, but listen to their words... DISNEY PARKS guest spending is up... Want to know where? DCA with Cars Land where guest spending is through the roof... At WDW? Ehhhhhh not so much... The spending is only up there because their jack the prices up... Units moved is down to flat... at IOA units moved continues to increase.. THAT is where Universal is doing the most damage... As for attendance, ask anyone in TDO what they thought of TEA's DHS attendance numbers... They would laugh... TEA grossly projected way too high... WAY too high... People in the know will tell you there is no way DHS had nearly 10 million people.. Number was closer to 8-9 not 10...

And just wait... Universal has a "value" hotel coming, which will pull guests out of WDW hotel rooms... They have more Potter, a JP expansion, oh, did I mention they recently purchased the land where Wet N Wild resides? They will soon have an onsite water park, along with... much more land to really drive a dent into Disney where it hurts most.. The pocket book, not the attendance numbers (though, in 2 years, IOA/Uni will take over DHS and maybe even DAK, while Epcot, well....)

AgentC
06-27-2013, 06:17 PM
You are right... Disney hit the 5 year old girl demographic... Universal targets everyone else who does not want to be bombed with princesses every 5 feet... Universal is also more than thrill rides... WDW actually has more thrill rides than Universal... Is WDW a thrill park? Also, WDW is not a theme park... MK is a theme park, DAK is a theme park... WDW is not a theme park...

Let's be a little fair. I realize WDW has alienated you.That's fine. I also know that you want them to do better and be the WDW you remember. You don't have to be a 5 year old girl to enjoy WDW. And I say that as the mother of a 7 year old boy and yep, a five year old girl. ;)

We have not done Universal lately because honestly it is not the best park for younger children especially those who are ride timid like my son. He finally rode Splash and Big Thunder for the first time this year. I almost threw a party.

Even Universal's own website only list 5 rides as best for children and three of them have a height limit of 36". Magic Kingdom has lots of ride that families can enjoy together (Dumbo, Peter Pan, Buzz, Jungle Cruise, Pooh, Little Mermaid, POTC, Haunted Mansion etc.) Most of them are not princess related and don't have a height requirement.

There are valid reasons for people to still enjoy WDW and there are valid reasons for people not to enjoy WDW. Same goes for Universal. It is a great park. I'm sure we'll visit more as my children get older. We also enjoy Busch Gardens and Legoland.

Different things work for different people and that's okay. It also doesn't make one of us right and one of us wrong. :)

As far as what Fast Pass+ will be, I have no idea. I'm not going to worry about it or stress about it because that is who I am. I might love it. I might hate. I'll see when it gets here.

Dulcee
06-27-2013, 07:41 PM
I'm on my kindle and can't quote like I would like to so excuse the lack of references.

First off, do not assume we don't travel. We've done all of the prior mentioned vacations amongst numerous others. What you seem to have missed is my intention to compare the bottom dollar. At the end of a vacation the amount I get for my money in wdw is comparable and often better then what we get out of other trips.

As far as the original point I was very much aware we were in a test trial of fast pass plus. We were hesitant but after experiencing it we did, gasp, like it. There was similar up roar when Disney implemented the regular fast pass system. To suggest that the entire system will flop is as naive as saying it'll running smoothly on day 1. Before calling the program a disaster and a disappointment perhaps you should wait to see it implemented.

As far as benefiting Disney I'd say yes obviously it has to benefit the company but then I don't understand how minute to minute crowd control doesn't directly benefit me as a guest. I'd say being able to clear congestion on main street so I don't have to weave my way through standstill crowds to get to Starbucks (but then you probably don't like that idea either) is good for me.

Disney plays to their demographic of families. To suggest that only five year old girls can enjoy the parks is insulting to anyone who isn't and does.

Jared
06-27-2013, 08:33 PM
I'm generally ambivalent about Fastpass+. I don't use the current Fastpass system much, and I may or may not use Fastpass+. That said, I suspect a vast, vast majority of guests to end up liking the program. I know there are people around the Internet essentially guaranteeing this will fail miserably, but I don't see it.

Whatever. Let's at least try it first. Or don't. I really don't care anymore what people do. Fastpass+ may end up being exhausting -- but not nearly as exhausting as listening to people who have never used it complain about it.

Tekneek
06-28-2013, 12:02 AM
The Terms of Service for My Disney Experience are already published and can be found on the web. Once you're on the "paperless tickets" you cannot participate in standard FP as we know it today. That is a telling sign that they intend to eliminate the current FP system entirely.

While the time that you can begin scheduling FP+ selections was not mentioned in the ToS the last time I read them, the general idea out there has been 60 days. I imagine all the FP+ slots for E-ticket attractions will be gone within a few hours of hitting that 60 day window. Even by people who don't even end up going to that park that day. They'll book it up, just in case, like they do dining reservations. If you aren't up at 6 AM at the 60 day mark, your choices will be second-tier or third-tier attractions that you'd never FP today but will now schedule because you need to reserve SOMETHING after missing out on the top tier. That is going to be the unfortunate cascading effect. Whether that ends up being a positive or negative remains to be seen, but I think my dining experience was better when I could make Priority Seating requests on the same day and get into any restaurant. Now slots are gone 6 months out and it is hard for me to see how this is an improvement.

thejens
06-28-2013, 12:07 AM
I will visit Universal for the first time this year. I love fast pass, but i will say that, as the FP runner, I don't know that the new system might be better. Yes, I am a planner. I love the imagining of my vacation. It gives me a lot of pleasure. So, maybe, planning my vacation, scheduling my vacation and FP will allow my family and I to spend the time together, leisurely walking together to our scheduled fast pass? I used to go to AK and run to get FP to the yeti ride while my family headed to safari. I was always amazed by the monkeys( not sure if that is correct term) who seemed so alert and playful so early and I watched them, transfixed, wishing I could enjoy the moment, but aware that I was supposed to run RUN to get fp and then Run back to safari. How nice to think I can spend this time enjoying myself.

I am mostly still bitter about Starbucks.

WDW: please don't turn into a shopping mall!!!!!!! I will NOT keep coming!!!

Yes, I am a Disneyphile. I NEED some magic.

WDW top management: MAGIC is NOT Starbucks and McDonalds!!!! We can already get that in our neighborhoods!!! We need something special!!!! Magical! Imaginative! Different!

I need to escape the Starbucks and McDonalds and yawn reality of my life. I do not like scary thrill rides. I do love Harry Potter. I love the escape (from my REAL life which includes SB and MD!) I love imagination and fantasy. I hope WDW elite management knows this.

I'll wear a band. I'll schedule. I just need amazing, incredible, UNIQUE experiences that take me away from my routine. PLEASE invest in the story tellers who can do this.

MickeysBestPal
06-28-2013, 07:52 AM
As far as the original point I was very much aware we were in a test trial of fast pass plus. We were hesitant but after experiencing it we did, gasp, like it.

To keep things in perspective, during this test, participants were offered FP+ choices AND unlimited use of regular FP.
(That combination would be very attractive, but looks to be unrealistic when FP+ comes online.)

Plus, since only an extremely small number of guests were participating in the test, and the rest of the guest population was not, the myriad limitations on booking availabilities of FP+ did not factor into this test.

TheVBs
06-28-2013, 07:55 AM
We typically go during slower times and use FP sparingly. Whether FP+ will enhance our experience remains to be seen. However, like others, I'm not going to stress about unless we experience it, don't like it, but feel like we have to use it. I'm not really anticipating that worst case scenario.

When we've used FP, it has definitely freed up our time and reduced time spent waiting in line. We probably WOULD use that time to spend a little more money, IF we could find merchandise we were interested in. If Disney's plan is to get people to spend more with the FP system, lack of good merchandise is where they failed (IMO), not with the FP system itself.

I agree with Dulcee fully on the cost of other destinations. We go to WDW every other year, and in the years in between we've been to a variety of different destinations. I keep track of what we spend on every trip and almost always we have spent as much or more on a non-WDW trip. We love our other trips too! But I can think of two trips when we spent so much more money than we would have at WDW and got so much less.

WDW definitely appeals to a much wider demographic than 5 year old girls. People of all ages and all walks of life love it. I don't think there's any way to realistically deny that. We would love to check out Universal sometime, but it would definitely be on a non-WDW trip. When we go to Disney we WANT to stay on property, stay immersed, and we love that. :mickey:

ANG
06-28-2013, 08:17 AM
Mine too, I can hardly decide my meals. Not what rides I want two months out.

My wife used to preach "spontaneity" to me, and I did not like it (I like to plan), but this form of organization for a vacation is downright silly.

I completely agree!

ANG
06-28-2013, 08:39 AM
Let's be a little fair. I realize WDW has alienated you.That's fine. I also know that you want them to do better and be the WDW you remember. You don't have to be a 5 year old girl to enjoy WDW. And I say that as the mother of a 7 year old boy and yep, a five year old girl. ;)

We have not done Universal lately because honestly it is not the best park for younger children especially those who are ride timid like my son. He finally rode Splash and Big Thunder for the first time this year. I almost threw a party.

Even Universal's own website only list 5 rides as best for children and three of them have a height limit of 36". Magic Kingdom has lots of ride that families can enjoy together (Dumbo, Peter Pan, Buzz, Jungle Cruise, Pooh, Little Mermaid, POTC, Haunted Mansion etc.) Most of them are not princess related and don't have a height requirement.

There are valid reasons for people to still enjoy WDW and there are valid reasons for people not to enjoy WDW. Same goes for Universal. It is a great park. I'm sure we'll visit more as my children get older. We also enjoy Busch Gardens and Legoland.

Different things work for different people and that's okay. It also doesn't make one of us right and one of us wrong. :)

As far as what Fast Pass+ will be, I have no idea. I'm not going to worry about it or stress about it because that is who I am. I might love it. I might hate. I'll see when it gets here.

Well said! It also digs at me just a tad because princesses are not just for girl. My 2 sons love them (they love pirates as well).

My family has traveled all over the United States. And no where have I been able to truly relax with our Autistic son than at WDW. I know GACs are a hot button issue right now too. But it has helped so so much (especially considering we took 2 trips prior to even knowing a GAC was available). There is just no way for us to enjoy Universal right now with our kids.

I'm not thrilled about the FP+ but I too am just trying to roll with it. I'm not going to knock it until I've experienced it myself.

BuffaloJason
06-28-2013, 10:40 AM

:ditto:
Thanks for the post. Couldn't agree more. And why is someone so alienated by Disney spending so much energy on a Disney message board trying to convince the rest of us we shouldn't enjoy what we all clearly enjoy... unless you're a 5 year old girl I guess. I too am a parent of a 5 year old girl, but I think I enjoy WDW at least as much as she does :mickey:

Mrs Bus Driver
06-28-2013, 10:41 AM
When we've used FP, it has definitely freed up our time and reduced time spent waiting in line. We probably WOULD use that time to spend a little more money, IF we could find merchandise we were interested in. If Disney's plan is to get people to spend more with the FP system, lack of good merchandise is where they failed (IMO), not with the FP system itself.

Just want to add my :twocents: here because my last 2 trips I tried to find something to buy. I like to buy pins and hats but will also buy a tee-shirt if I like it. Will not pay $60 for a $5 hat, could not find a pin I liked unless wanted to spend $25+, as for tees I can find better at walmart. I know its a resort and am will to pay a few dollars extra for something well made or resort specific but can find neither. The same stuff everywhere and cheap from China and don't get me started on how their workers are treated. So that just leaves meals and photos for me to spend on. Don't want the meal plans too much of the wrong foods for me. With the exception of ride photos I may or may not spend on photo pass still weighing my options on this one. All I am saying is I am willing to spend for a special vacation, because my next one will be, if Disney gives me something to spend on. I don't want junk and I don't need desert at every meal. Okay getting off my :soapbox: now. :blush:

DizneyFreak2002
06-28-2013, 06:46 PM
As far as benefiting Disney I'd say yes obviously it has to benefit the company but then I don't understand how minute to minute crowd control doesn't directly benefit me as a guest. I'd say being able to clear congestion on main street so I don't have to weave my way through standstill crowds to get to Starbucks (but then you probably don't like that idea either) is good for me.

You still are not getting the concept of MMY+... it isn't meant to ENHANCE guest experience... it is meant to maximize existing capacity so that EVERYTHING now has a wait time.. Tell me, how does being forced to wait 45 minutes for Haunted Mansion ENHANCING the guest experience? How is waiting 45 minutes to board Pirates benefiting the guest?

And do you honestly think this system will really provide better crowd control? Really? Come on... even the most addicted to pixie dust sufferer out there does not believe that...

Oh and no, I don't like Starbucks because their coffee is TERRIBLE... Couldn't care less they are in the parks...

MrPeetrie
06-28-2013, 07:11 PM
I, for one, absolutely hate waiting in lines. When I was younger, we'd go to Cedar Point every summer. As its popularity grew, lines became out of hand. As much as I love rollercoasters, I haven't been there in about 10 years because, on weekends, all the great rides are 60 minutes or longer.

We come to Disney during off-peak times. We come to the parks when we expect a low turnout (like Magic Kingdom when it's hosting an MNSSHP that night). And we use FastPass wisely.

If DizneyFreak is correct (and I fear he is), every line will have lengthened wait times. At present, when we come in September, there rarely is more than a 15-minute wait for Pirates of the Caribbean. When this new system is in place, FastPass+ reserves will occupy virtual space in its queue (because people will reserve their FastPasses 60 days out), leaving standby lines artificially inflated. And that's going to be everywhere.

I agree with other posters: if you want more of our spending money, improve your merchandise. In the past six years, the quality has really fallen off. My wife LOVES to shop, especially at WDW. And usually, she does some serious shopping. To be honest, she couldn't find much she liked on this past trip.

I could be wrong -- and I HOPE I am -- but I think this is going to be as big a disaster as New Coke. And if it becomes such an inconvenience to come to WDW, then It will be another Cedar Point for me: a great place I never attend because of lines.

AndrewJackson
06-28-2013, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the post. Couldn't agree more. And why is someone so alienated by Disney spending so much energy on a Disney message board trying to convince the rest of us we shouldn't enjoy what we all clearly enjoy... unless you're a 5 year old girl I guess. I too am a parent of a 5 year old girl, but I think I enjoy WDW at least as much as she does :mickey:

:thumbsup: Agreed!

DizneyFreak2002
06-28-2013, 08:06 PM
Aww hurt your feelings a bit by talking the truth about today's Disney and WDW?? Maybe if you and others opened their eyes a bit, well, nah you won't do that cause the real world is a big bad place out to get ya... And Disney will never do that to you!!!!!

BuffaloJason
06-28-2013, 09:03 PM
Nope, no hurt feelings here at all and I certainly meant you no offense. I spend plenty of time in the real world, but over the past 15 years + I've occasionally spent a little time on this message board getting a "Disney fix" when I feel like thinking about happy vacation memories with my family. The day I felt "alienated" or WDW stopped being fun, I'd stop thinking about it and I certainly wouldn't waste any time mocking people on message boards for having a happy little diversion that no longer interested me. I guess I am a little disappointed to see that kind of attitude here. I always thought of intercot as the more "adult" Disney forum, where the flamers so common on internet discussion boards weren't tolerated.

DizneyFreak2002
06-28-2013, 09:26 PM
Nope, no hurt feelings here at all and I certainly meant you no offense. I spend plenty of time in the real world, but over the past 15 years + I've occasionally spent a little time on this message board getting a "Disney fix" when I feel like thinking about happy vacation memories with my family. The day I felt "alienated" or WDW stopped being fun, I'd stop thinking about it and I certainly wouldn't waste any time mocking people on message boards for having a happy little diversion that no longer interested me. I guess I am a little disappointed to see that kind of attitude here. I always thought of intercot as the more "adult" Disney forum, where the flamers so common on internet discussion boards weren't tolerated.

Or maybe Intercot is a place where people are allowed to post different feelings and opinions, opinions that are not filled with pixie dust and princesses... or maybe Intercot is a site where news about Disney (good or bad) can be and is discussed... Maybe Intercot is a place where, people who feel Disney has alienated them can come and vent and discuss what it is about Disney that HAS caused them to feel the way they do...

Agent C (Cindy) stated it right... Well kind of right... I don't want to see WDW as I remember it.. I want to see it be the best it can be... Right now, I feel it isn't... Why should my voice, or others who feel the way I do, be shut up, shouted down, and tuned out? Don't like it, don't read it.. You have that choice... Yet, you choose to read and comment...

I come here to bring any kind of news I hear about or read about to help drive conversations... I bring news and information (some good, some bad, some change) to help inform the members here... I am also allowed to state my opinion on those changes... I give them credit when due, and berate them when I feel Disney deserves it...

If people feel mocked, maybe it is because they are realizing they are exactly the people I describe... There is absolutely no denying there are many in the online fan community who have problems.. They cannot face any negative comments about Disney... they are addicted to pixie dust... So much so they get all bent out of shape when someone dares talk about the true climate in management or discusses short coming in WDW...

I think one thing everyone can agree on is we are all fans, in one way to another... Some are just WAY too over board with their love of WDW... I am only speaking for myself when I say I am only holding Disney to THEIR standard.. a standard they no longer hold themselves to in WDW... DL and the over seas parks are a different story...

Read some of my other posts... I have been hoping for change.. I have been calling for change... Some things I hear have excited me.. I stated as much... I want them to WOW me again...

I appreciate your posts Buf, I do... And again, as I said to you in another thread, absolutely no disrespect or hurt feelings are meant..

Gator
06-28-2013, 10:09 PM
The Florida Hospital of Orlando just announced that they will have a 60 day-out appointment booking system for it's patients. They want to staff better because of the ACA budget cuts, so you'll need to check in with you appendicitis or stroke at least two months out. By planning out your illness in advance with the Hospital, they feel they can better accommodate your needs.

Per the CEO, "Trust us, this will definitely enhance your experience."

Dulcee
06-29-2013, 06:57 AM
The problem disneyfreak isn't that you disagree with many on these boards, the problem its that anyone who chooses to disagree with you is immediately wearing rose colored glasses, doesn't understand a concept as you see it or is just wrong according to you. Or you choose to insult them.

I'd consider myself a fairly intelligent person. I don't think the fast pass plus system will be a disaster but I'm also willing to admit that none of us really know the effect this will have over the park experience.

cer
06-29-2013, 08:01 AM
I agree with other posters: if you want more of our spending money, improve your merchandise. In the past six years, the quality has really fallen off. My wife LOVES to shop, especially at WDW. And usually, she does some serious shopping. To be honest, she couldn't find much she liked on this past trip.

Truth. Right here.

I could be wrong -- and I HOPE I am -- but I think this is going to be as big a disaster as New Coke. And if it becomes such an inconvenience to come to WDW, then It will be another Cedar Point for me: a great place I never attend because of lines.

BUT, let's say it is as big a disaster as New Coke. We all know how that turned out, right? I think the main concern here is about the fast pass + system. At least that is my main concern.

The other aspects of the new system, I so far have really enjoyed, like the new touch for the hotel room entry.

I like the new park entrance system. We only experienced one time (in a seven day trip) when it was off line. Other than that, it worked beautifully and much more efficiently than my past experiences. And the green entry light on it is very cool. Do you know that when your ticket is not working properly that it shows blue? (It used to show red) That's because Disney had a focus group and people said that when it showed red, it was negative, that they felt like they had done something wrong and so they changed it to blue.

Also love the ease of charging to the room. Tap your card and punch in your pin. Nice!

Another feature I liked was being able to from my phone arrange dining "on the fly". It wasn't always super fast, but I could call up on my bus ride to the park which restaurant had availability for the time I wanted. It actually allowed for a much more spontaneous trip than I have ever had in the past. All I really had to worry about pre-booking was the more popular places. Also, cancellations were easier. No need to call in, or see guest relations. Just call up your reservation on the "My Disney Experience" app and hit cancel. (For those who are uncomfortable with the system, the traditional system is still in place - so don't worry if you don't have access.)

So for me, yeah, I am concerned about how the fast pass + system will work, too - but if they care so much about the color of the mouse at the entry stall effecting my park entry experience, it stands to reason and I trust they will also certainly care about my overall fast pass and park experience...and will adjust that accordingly if need be. :mickey:

MrPeetrie
06-29-2013, 09:15 AM
Carrie, you make a great point. I haven't been down since September and I haven't had a chance to look at the new touch system, but it sounds wonderful. I LOVE the idea of the RFID bands. I love the idea of paying from my wrist band. I love keyless entry.

When the app is fully vetted, I think it will be a great addition, as well. My concern really is solely the FastPass+ system. And it may turn out to be fantastic. I can see some real positives with it. I just hope it all goes well. It will eliminate the FastPass "runner" (me) from going from one end of the park to another and back for the group's FastPasses, for example. That will be a great addition.

Carol
06-29-2013, 09:29 AM
ALERT:

OK Folks, Let's not banter back and forth and get personal. If you find yourself posting again and again in one thread then perhaps it's time to move on. Repeating your opinions over and over again is not necessary. It's an opinion .......

Thanks.

gratuspater
06-29-2013, 11:41 AM
Aww hurt your feelings a bit by talking the truth about today's Disney and WDW?? Maybe if you and others opened their eyes a bit, well, nah you won't do that cause the real world is a big bad place out to get ya... And Disney will never do that to you!!!!!

For someone who means no disrespect, the tone of this post (and others) says different. I really can't tell if your "way to overboard with your love of Disney", or your hate for them? Or is it just the people with a different opinion than yours, that you don't like. And as far as judging others for who is " living in the real world", Judge yourself first. How much time do you spend on these boards? I believe everyone is entitled to their opinions. But to berate others for theirs and then say "you mean no disrespect", well I have a hard time believing you.:thumbsup:

Carol
06-29-2013, 11:46 AM
OK. We're done. Move along ....