PDA

View Full Version : AP discounts

ChipNDale79
06-24-2013, 07:47 PM
Mid May2014

We are considering getting APs for our trip (we will be going back the following year as well), does Disney usually offer room discounts for AP holders during this time period?

We are specifically looking at a CSR and POFQ, if anyone has stayed there during these time frames and could share what type of discount they received, that would be great.

faline
06-24-2013, 08:06 PM
Disney often offers annual pass discounts. However, the number of rooms offered are limited and, once they are taken, no more are offered. You could even find that annual pass discounts are still available at a different resort than the one you want to stay in.

I would not get an annual pass based on the thought it will be worthwhile due to a room discount. Rather, I would do the math - how many total days will you be in the parks while using your annual pass. Take the cost of your annual pass and divide it by the number of park days to determine what you are spending per day on park admission. If you at least break even against another type of admission ticket, it is worth the cost of the annual pass. If you don't, I might skip buying the annual pass.

Anything else would essentially just be gravy.

Pirate Granny
06-24-2013, 09:15 PM
I got 31 days out of my last AP, well worth the $$$, but it wasn't worth to get the renewal price over getting it in May next year...only one more visit for ONE day for Villain Day in Sep, but I have days on other passes that will be used. Hummm just thought, I won't bring my two day pass as the second day will expire...need to use the no expiration pass from six years ago (last year I didn't have an annual pass)!

faline
06-25-2013, 08:37 AM
I got 31 days out of my last AP, well worth the $$$, but it wasn't worth to get the renewal price over getting it in May next year...

Because the renewal starts your year ticking as soon as your old year ends, we typically let our annual passes expire as well. If we're going to purchase annual passes again, we start again with vouchers and make sure we plan multiple trips (usually 3) within the one year span the passes will be active.

ChipNDale79
06-25-2013, 09:31 AM
Disney often offers annual pass discounts. However, the number of rooms offered are limited and, once they are taken, no more are offered. You could even find that annual pass discounts are still available at a different resort than the one you want to stay in.

I would not get an annual pass based on the thought it will be worthwhile due to a room discount. Rather, I would do the math - how many total days will you be in the parks while using your annual pass. Take the cost of your annual pass and divide it by the number of park days to determine what you are spending per day on park admission. If you at least break even against another type of admission ticket, it is worth the cost of the annual pass. If you don't, I might skip buying the annual pass.

Anything else would essentially just be gravy.

We have 2 trips planned within a year span, one with my wife's family and one with my family, both of which would be 7 day trips.

We had APs before we had kids and really took advantage of them, I don't think we'll use them as much this time around, but I think they would worth it for those 2 trips.

I'm hoping that the historical discount rates stay true.