PDA

View Full Version : Where should we go to eat

TraciSh
06-18-2013, 04:26 PM
My father did not want to be home this year for Christmas so we are going to Disney. My mother passed away on the 22nd of December and while we are in Disney it will be on the one year anniversary. I am trying to find a place to eat that we might be able to get some quite and maybe if my dad wanted to get a drink. We are going to be in the Magic Kindom so it would probably have to be in a resort. Any suggestions?

k10
06-18-2013, 04:39 PM
Maybe, since you'll be at the Magic Kingdom, you could make a reservation at one of the resorts on the Monorail! The Grand Floridian, Polynesian or Contemporary. The all have winners to pick from. Plus, it's fun to ride the monorail and see other resorts.

(ps - sorry about your mom!)

VWL Mom
06-18-2013, 05:18 PM
:welcome: to Intercot

If you're looking for something on the quiet side near MK you may want to try the Grand Floridian Cafe. IMO it's more laid back than others in the area, has a nice menu, and your dad could get his cocktail.

Kairi_7378
06-18-2013, 07:05 PM
I would suggest Kona Cafe or the Wave. I would not suggest the GF Cafe for a nice dinner.

Artist Point in the Wilderness Lodge is a short boat ride away and is a relaxing meal with a nice wine selection.

Melanie
06-18-2013, 07:17 PM
I suggest the Kona Cafe as well. :lei: :papple:

VWL Mom
06-18-2013, 08:20 PM
I would not suggest the GF Cafe for a nice dinner.

Kind of curious why not? Did you have a bad meal there? We had a lovely meal there 2 years ago, enjoyed the food, service, and ambiance but as we all know things change quickly. We have an ADR there for our August trip and I'd rather cancel now than later.

SBETigg
06-18-2013, 08:37 PM
Kind of curious why not? Did you have a bad meal there? We had a lovely meal there 2 years ago, enjoyed the food, service, and ambiance but as we all know things change quickly. We have an ADR there for our August trip and I'd rather cancel now than later.

I wouldn't cancel based on one poster's bad experience. The Grand Floridian Cafe is usually a good choice for any meal, to my experience. If you have had good experiences in the past, I would stick with it. I've had bad experiences at Kona, but I wouldn't advise against it. There's also the Wave at the Contemporary.

Pirate Granny
06-18-2013, 11:41 PM
Cafe is one of our standard...I doubt if you could get it now, but BOG in MK serves beer and wine for dinner only.

TheDuckRocks
06-19-2013, 10:42 AM
We just ate at the Grand Floridian Café in April and had a wonderful meal. The rooms are lovely, have never seen the restaurant completely full, the food is good to very good and have never had a server who was less than attentive.
All that said, I'm sure there is not anyplace in WDW that someone at sometime has not had a complete awful meal/experience. My 2 have been Koussina's and Le Cellier. Go figure.

TinyDancer
06-19-2013, 06:48 PM
What about California Grill? Pricey, but you can watch the fireworks if you time it right!!!

faline
06-19-2013, 07:31 PM
Perhaps you might consider a private dining experience? It would give your family the chance to remember all the wonderful times and even to grieve a bit in a setting that belongs only to you.

More information in this prior post (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=157662&highlight=private+dining).

Marytheta
06-19-2013, 08:42 PM
I haven't been to GF Cafe, The Wave, or Kona but we have been by Kona at dinner many times and I always have thought it seemed less than intimate as it is open to the lobby of the Poly which is normally packed with guests waiting for their ressies at Ohana. There is just a small divider between the restaurant and the lobby leaving me with the feeling that the diners had no privacy. Wouldn't be my choice for a special dinner but that is just my opinion.

My FIL passed away a couple of years ago and we took my MIL with us on our next trip to help her refocus and relax. We went to Ohana on our last night and were lucky enough to score a seat viewing the fireworks and watched the lighted boat parade from the beach. Not the quietest restaurant but the food was great and she still talks about that night. We're taking her back this fall and that was her one must do. She said it was just really special.

Kairi_7378
06-19-2013, 10:43 PM
I wouldn't cancel based on one poster's bad experience. The Grand Floridian Cafe is usually a good choice for any meal, to my experience. If you have had good experiences in the past, I would stick with it. I've had bad experiences at Kona, but I wouldn't advise against it. There's also the Wave at the Contemporary.

I don't want to thread jack, but I did want to say that we did have a very bad experience at this restaurant from both a food and a service perspective. However, our experience could have been the "off" night instead of the norm. VWLMom, if you have a good experience in August, I'd love to read a review. It may help me to convice DH to give it another try.

The main reason that I would not recommend this restaurant, in this particular situation, is that the decor is a bit on the feminine side, and the original poster mentioned that her father would be joining them for dinner.

I also wanted to add my condolances to the OP. I lost my Grandmother the week before Christmas a few years ago, and to this day, the holidays are bittersweet. I hope that the trip will bring some wonderful new memories for your family.

mydisneygirls
06-20-2013, 09:24 AM
First, I'm sorry about your mom. It's not easy, I know.

Just a thought, instead of a quiet place where it may turn into a sad evening, maybe your dad would enjoy O'Hana where you could have a dinner later in the evening and request a table near the window (I'm sure they will accommodate for your situation) and watch the fireworks. This may ease the sadness you will be feeling that day. And you could order tropical drinks and toast your mom during the fireworks. Again, so sorry for your loss.