PDA

View Full Version : Rude Cast Members

ChiefFlyingEagle1996
06-15-2013, 01:43 PM
We have had the worst of luck with finding nice cast members on our trip... And I understand it must be hard dealing with non-compliant people, but I think when you have someone not doing anything wrong you shouldn't be reprimanded... Anywho I'll explain we were at AK and everybody had picked out who they wanted to sit by and it so happened the person in front of the line was sitting by themselves. The cast member did not like that. We got all situated and he got onto my brother for not filling in all the empty numbers on Everest and all he had to do was put a single rider with on the empty number which is what he ended up doing in the end... Anyways it was just the fact that he got mad at my brother for not doing what he wanted...
Next we were on Soarin' and an attendant told my brother (once again) while he was in the middle of using it, that he did NOT need the middle strap, which I thought was weird since he was a little below the arrow, but we didn't question him seeing as we didn't want a repeat of AK haha. However he came back around and looked at my brother and said "I told you you need that middle strap," and my grandma said "oh I'm sorry I thought you said he didn't so I told him not to" he then looked directly at her and with a horrible attitude said "I just told him to and I looked directly at him, didn't you see me?"
Sorry for the long post just had to vent and express my disappointment with these cast members:(

greengeen
06-15-2013, 02:26 PM
I don't think you'll get much sympathy. Sounds like your group isn't listening and following directions. Why make it harder on CMs?

Aurora
06-15-2013, 02:47 PM
Sorry you felt reprimanded. You say you didn't do anything wrong, but then you pointed out the CM got mad at your brother "for not doing what he wanted." The CMs aren't just directing people on their own whims. They're trying to do their jobs with crowd control and safety. When your group ignored the CM's directions on Everest, it made his job harder, and that's probably what he reacted to.

In the second case, it sounded like a simple miscommunication, and the CM probably could have reacted better, but again, he was trying to do his job in keeping everyone safe.

gerald72
06-15-2013, 06:14 PM
If you listen to the cast member's instructions, everything will go smoother and more quickly.

ChiefFlyingEagle1996
06-15-2013, 07:29 PM
I get what all of guys are saying its just that we were listening it was just chaotic we try to do everything the cast member says to make it easier on them, it's just that they both caught an attitude when things didn't automatically go right. I could see it being better by them asking with words such as please and thank you not a snappy "I said get up here in this spot" (Everest guy) and the whole encounter with the Soarin' guy
But don't get me wrong I'm not disagreeing with what you guys responded and I appreciate y'all's responses :Mickey:

SBETigg
06-15-2013, 08:07 PM
Everyone has an off day now and then, but feeling like you're being yelled at or reprimanded is never fun, especially while on vacation.

ChiefFlyingEagle1996
06-15-2013, 09:38 PM
Everyone has an off day now and then, but feeling like you're being yelled at or reprimanded is never fun, especially while on vacation.

Couldn't agree more, it actually upset my brother haha he thought he really upset the cast members which he doesn't like doing, but I just explained to him that I'm sure they get a lot of worse behaved people and its all good

lawgirl
06-16-2013, 04:33 AM
I remember a few years back, my dad and I were waiting for the Beauty and the Beast show at HS, and the CM directing "traffic" was literally yelling at people if they weren't sitting close enough and he was completely hateful to this one poor mom who was trying to save space for her family that I think had gone to the restrooms (or something like that). I thought she was going to cry. It was completely uncalled for behavior, and it upset me for her. I realize that he was just "doing his job" and trying to pack as many people in the theater as possible, but still. When you are paying that much money for vacation, to be treated like that...I would have gotten his name and sent a lengthy message to Disney about that behavior. It sounds like you had some miscommunication, and I'm sorry they reacted like that! Hope everyone was able to brush it off.

GAN
06-16-2013, 06:54 AM
I get what all of guys are saying its just that we were listening it was just chaotic we try to do everything the cast member says to make it easier on them, it's just that they both caught an attitude when things didn't automatically go right. I could see it being better by them asking with words such as please and thank you not a snappy "I said get up here in this spot" (Everest guy) and the whole encounter with the Soarin' guy
But don't get me wrong I'm not disagreeing with what you guys responded and I appreciate y'all's responses :Mickey:

If you don't mind, I'll disagree with some responses for you. There is absolutely no reason for a CM to react the way they did in the circumstances you describe -and it has nothing to do with the money you spent on your vacation. We're talking basic customer service skills, of which Disney used to strive(and I would hope still does) to offer at the highest levels. Not saying that a CM has to be nice and sweet irregardless of the situation, I'm sure there are times when they would need to forcefully get the point across -as in actual safety concerns. The fact is, I've seen it done hundreds of times in just the right way -where the CM got the point across without being rude. I probably would have mentioned the situation to a manager -if nothing else, to help them fix a potential issue. If the CM couldn't stay calm, maybe they're better suited for a different position. Not to say it's easy under the conditions, but if it was easy anyone could do it.

Maggie T
06-16-2013, 07:09 AM
Never had a problem with a ride cm. Have seen a few stressed out and really can't blame them. I have had problems in restaurants with cms and the attitude they have sometimes. I tell them in my way that they will not talk down to me and things seem to work out. Everyone fellows the rules and things should be OK.

VWL Mom
06-16-2013, 09:19 AM
There is absolutely no reason for a CM to react the way they did in the circumstances you describe -and it has nothing to do with the money you spent on your vacation. We're talking basic customer service skills, of which Disney used to strive(and I would hope still does) to offer at the highest levels. Not saying that a CM has to be nice and sweet irregardless of the situation, I'm sure there are times when they would need to forcefully get the point across -as in actual safety concerns. The fact is, I've seen it done hundreds of times in just the right way -where the CM got the point across without being rude. I probably would have mentioned the situation to a manager -if nothing else, to help them fix a potential issue. If the CM couldn't stay calm, maybe they're better suited for a different position. Not to say it's easy under the conditions, but if it was easy anyone could do it.

Well said

Terra
06-16-2013, 10:08 AM
If you don't mind, I'll disagree with some responses for you. There is absolutely no reason for a CM to react the way they did in the circumstances you describe -and it has nothing to do with the money you spent on your vacation. We're talking basic customer service skills, of which Disney used to strive(and I would hope still does) to offer at the highest levels. Not saying that a CM has to be nice and sweet irregardless of the situation, I'm sure there are times when they would need to forcefully get the point across -as in actual safety concerns. The fact is, I've seen it done hundreds of times in just the right way -where the CM got the point across without being rude. I probably would have mentioned the situation to a manager -if nothing else, to help them fix a potential issue. If the CM couldn't stay calm, maybe they're better suited for a different position. Not to say it's easy under the conditions, but if it was easy anyone could do it.

100% Agree.

Second, I see you are new to Intercot so WELCOME!! :pixie: Nice to have you!

As some of us are "seasoned" here, we may not agree with all that is posted, but we do need to be mindful of how our posts come across, and lately it seems that posts are rather snarky to new[er] members, and I don't really think that's the kind of magic we want to spread here ;)

It appears that you would have had an open space any way from the way I'm reading it right? So I agree, they could put a single rider in. I've only ever encountered one rude CM thus far thankfully.
It was just a few weeks ago and I'm still contemplating writing Disney.
I'm a teacher and my son is actually Autistic and in a self containted ESE classroom. His class took a field trip to AK. While loading on the Dino ride, one of the little girls [age 6], became frightened and started crying.
The CM came over and rudely said "We can't have crying children on a ride and you need to hurry up because we have to keep the ride moving!"

I understand flow for sure and keeping a ride moving, however, a CM should NEVER address a customer [especially compliment!] like this. And hello, if you can't have crying children [NEVER heard of that rule! lol], maybe they should close WDW!
She was beyond rude.

Anyway, sorry you encountered that. Hope the rest of your trip was magical :)

buzznwoodysmom
06-16-2013, 11:51 AM
Something to keep in mind is what one guest may consider totally rude behavior, the next guest wouldn't even bat an eye. People perceive attitude and behavior of others very differently.

My sister in law always says "did you hear how rude that cashier was to me", and I honestly always think SIL is crazy because I didn't notice the person being rude at all. Perhaps not overly friendly, but definitely not rude, in my opinion. Often times what I really want to tell SIL is that if she thought the cashier was rude she should hear herself sometimes. Lol. She isn't the nicest person I know, and is both rude and unfriendly rather often.

Also, I do always find ourselves coming across more rude CMs in Disney in the hotter months. Not that it excuses rude behavior, but I can understand after a long, hot shift, dealing with hot grumpy guests all day, it must be hard to keep up the happy disposition.

In any case, I am sorry the OP felt their interactions of CMs were less than magical on their trip.

AmandaChan
06-16-2013, 03:52 PM
If I can deal with countless rude patients under ridiculously stressed situations in a hospital without losing my COOL then I don't think it is too much to ask a CM to not be rude to people who are on vacation - and yes, spending a ton of $$$ that they possibly saved up for years and worked extra hard for. Even if someone is being crazy, or having disregard, then it should be dealt with professionally and in a non-degrading way. For a CM to talk to a grown adult in that way is so uncalled for. From what you are telling us it seemed like a simple misunderstanding. Which happens I'm sure A LOT when you are in an environment that can be over stimulating sometimes. Most people are well meaning and not out to cause any trouble, really. If those CM's can't even handle a simple task like putting people in a line and dealing with society then perhaps they should be working at a desk somewhere and they are in the wrong place.
:mickey::mickey::mickey:

Quadstriker
06-16-2013, 04:50 PM
Perspective time!

CMs work for such a small amount of compensation (read: money) that it's silly.

They need thousands of them.

Everyone is human.

MNNHFLTX
06-16-2013, 05:13 PM
To the OP--I do have empathy for you. While I'm sure the miscommunication did not ruin your vacation, I can imagine it put a bit of a damper on the moment. People in customer service positions do have an obligation to be polite and tactful in their work practices. Like Amanda, I deal with people in situations that are incredibly stressful and no matter what someone says or how they act, I am an ambassador of my place of employment and try to to act accordingly--compensation (believe me) has nothing to do with it. Does this mean we can't cut someone some slack if they have a "moment"? Of course not, but neither should that be considered acceptable.

Main Street Jim
06-16-2013, 08:27 PM
As always...there's a couple of ways to go about this:

1) Posting about your "encounters" with "bad" Cast Members on message boards will fall on deaf ears - with Disney, I mean. It doesn't do any good to vent on a message board that Disney (the company) doesn't read *much*, if at all.

2) You can report your experience to any Walt Disney World manager right then and there. Ask any Cast Member to get ahold of one for you.

3) On your way out of the park, you can stop by Guest Relations and fill out a form, which will then be forwarded to the "offending" Cast Member's area manager.

(Personally - and unfortunately - I've been "exposed" to #3, and it nearly cost me my job at the parks. *Fortunately*, though, we had a union, and we figured out that the letter wasn't about *me* - it was another "Jim" that worked on the steam trains at the time.)

honeebee86
06-16-2013, 09:06 PM
When I read post like this I feel the need to chime in. My husband and I have held FL resident APs for nearly 3 years and have made almost weekly trips to the parks all 3 of those years. However, due to the decrease in CM friendliness and overall park experience, we have decided not to renew this year. Instead, we just got APs for Busch and are about to for Universal as well. We began noticing a decline in CMs last year and had a horrible experience with one during the winter of last year at Epcot. My husband's grandfather was visiting from Peru and we rented him a wheelchair to use in the park. This was our first time renting a chair and no one gave us any rules or guidelines on where you could and couldn't take them. We were exiting the park and thought we would be able to use it to get to our car. When my husband went to leave, the CM yelled at him "Where do you think you're going?' to which my husband answered, "To our car." The CM continued to yell "Not with that chair you're not!". Then he literally pushed in between my husband and the chair to read the name on the back. We understand if we are not allowed to take it beyond the park and I believe all CMs (or anyone in a professional setting for that matter) should give guests the benefit of the doubt that they aren't aware of the rules before jumping to conclusions, and they should also be sure to explain the dos and don'ts when you rent them. Anyhow, we did write a letter and we did receive an answer. But still, it has really made us think about future visits to the World. We recently went to Universal for the first time during Memorial Day weekend and we were very impressed with the friendliness of all their workers. We didn't expect them to impress us, but they did. To make this short, it sounds like you didn't mean to cause trouble nor did you try to respond in a sarcastic manner when you received attitude from the CMs you encountered; therefore, they had no reason to be like that toward you. It bothers me to think guests that don't frequent the parks as much as we do are now noticing this behavior from CMs. We have even had CMs stand and talk with one another while we wait to be helped and they don't stop and when they do, they treat you like you're inconveniencing them somehow. Please email Disney to tell them about your experience. The more they hear it, maybe they will take some sort of action. I'm beginning to think Traditions needs to become a yearly class in order to keep employment and for Disney to try to maintain proper guest treatment.

mom2morgan
06-16-2013, 09:40 PM
Any way you cut it, there are polite and not-so-polite ways to direct people. Disney IS chaotic and for a "newbie" it may not be clear what the directions are, or why. CM's should take care to be considerate in their tone! I was crushed on our second-last trip by a bus driver. I WAS in the wrong, but because I made a mistake, not because I was trying to be "bad". . He made me feel stupid and like I was just trying to make his job difficult.

Mrs Bus Driver
06-17-2013, 10:11 AM
Over worked and under paid employees would be my guess. Maybe upper management should start paying attention to the needs of the front line employees. When the workers start feeling like no one cares about them it shows.

SueQ
06-17-2013, 10:51 AM
Perspective time!

Everyone is human.

That does not give CM's the right to be rude to people.

Mrs Bus Driver
06-17-2013, 10:56 AM
That does not give CM's the right to be rude to people.

No it doesn't but usually when you see attitudes like the ones mentioned it is coming from the top down.

Terra
06-17-2013, 01:31 PM
No it doesn't but usually when you see attitudes like the ones mentioned it is coming from the top down.

Now this can be very true. My favorite 'saying' is, a staff/crew is only as good as its leader.
Even when I worked in fast food 20 years ago, you could tell a difference in shifts depending on how the manager was.
And now in teaching, many times a school is only as strong as it's administration.

#1donaldfan
06-17-2013, 01:45 PM
I am a bit torn on this one, as in everything, it's a matter of perspective, but guests don't choose when and where to sit. As the line keeps moving they tell you, two in line two, two in line 3, and so on. If he was supposed to move to another spot, then he should have. Getting a single rider the CM would have had to go all the way down and get one, holding up the train ..... albeit only mere seconds, but still..... as far as Soarin, that was an obvious lack of communication. Finally, as far as the rude words and actions, well like mentined it's a matter of perspective and what level of tolerance we have. It should never happen, that a CM gets truly rude and or hostile toward a guest, but everyone has a bad day....I'm not excusing just assuming it was just one of those days. I hope the rest of the trip was good !! :cool:

gottaluvtink
06-17-2013, 04:23 PM
I visit Disney World every year, sometimes twice a year. There is never a trip now where I don't encounter at least one, usually more rude cast members. I am used to it now, so I just blow it off because I refuse to let them ruin my trip. What makes me feel good though, is, I ALWAYS be sure to say to them, "Have a Magical Day!" You should see the looks I get and then they want to be all nicey nice! Give it a try. :mickey:

SandmanGStefani24
06-18-2013, 03:33 AM
what a shame that people accept this as norm.

i never seem to find rude CMs, and can only think of one, maybe two in my 8 trips to WDW.

Almost all of the Cm experiences I've had have been above and beyond great, so hopefully this is just a few random incidents. Granted, they do get paid WAY less than they should for the level of work they do, and one shouldnt take the job if you arent prepared to perform to its standards, but i can still sympathize.

And, as Mom mentioned a time or two, if you go looking hard enough for something, you're bound to find it. Let's focus on the good, huh?

BayLaker25
06-18-2013, 07:55 AM
They get stressed out because people do not follow directions and it sounds like your group did not. When people don't follow directions it holds everything up. This is how CM get a bad review because people don't listen and the cast member get frustrated when they have to tell the person something 3 times. That person (as it seems your group did) feels they never do anything wrong even though they didn't listen then they complain about the CM. I'm sorry I have never had a problem with a cast member and I've been there about 10 in the last 7 years.

dragon73
06-18-2013, 08:53 AM
I visit Disney World every year, sometimes twice a year. There is never a trip now where I don't encounter at least one, usually more rude cast members. I am used to it now, so I just blow it off because I refuse to let them ruin my trip. What makes me feel good though, is, I ALWAYS be sure to say to them, "Have a Magical Day!" You should see the looks I get and then they want to be all nicey nice! Give it a try. :mickey:

I LOVE your positive attitude and I am going to try that on our next trip (if there is a next trip).

Quick background - we used to be Disney-obsessed, and still are to some degree. There was never a discussion about where we would vacation as it was always a given that it would be WDW. At a minimum, we would find ourselves there at least once a year, but more often we would make multiple trips. We were annual passholders for nearly a decade and we loved every minute of being on property.

As the years went by, it seemed like the cast members were getting less and less interested in at least feigning appreciation for our patronage, and more and more interested in either being appathetic or just plain rude without provocation. Don't get me wrong, for every one cast member that could be construed as not 100% 'magical', there are 100 more that go above and beyond and are utterly amazing in all that they do. I'm just saying that a shift now exists towards the negative, where one did not exist before.

A couple of years ago, we were at Animal Kingdom. There was an older gentleman working the turnstiles who told us that he didn't want us at 'his park' because my husband was wearing a shirt from the Harley Davidson Museum in Milwaukee. Not understanding, we asked for clarification and he went on and on about how he hates Harley Davidson and that he was a 'Honda man'. We were wondering what his intention was for bringing such a weird topic up but chalked it up to the fact that he was old and set in his ways and we just went on about our day. But what we learned that day was to NEVER wear any clothing that was advertising anything at all (unless it was Disney).

Most recently, we went to The Boardwalk for a meal at Kouzzina. Upon presenting my Michigan driver's license to security, the guard told us that he couldn't let us in. Completely confused, I started to fish in my purse for our dining confirmation information and then he went on to explain that he was an Ohio State fan and that he doesn't allow Wolverines to pass his gate. We sat there with mouths agape, saying nothing as we were in shock that he would bring up something so ludicrous. He kept going on and on about how terrible Michigan is and that he normally tells 'people like us to go to Sea World or Universal'. Happy to report that we 'scum of the Earth Wolverines' took his advice. As soon as he finally decided to stop berating us and open the gate, we made a U-turn and went to dinner at Universal's City Walk. That was our one and only trip over to the land of the mouse, as we had other business in Orlando that week, but unfortunately due to a very rude cast member, Mickey didn't get a dime from us. And just as a footnote, the cast members at Universal were downright amazing. As amazing as Disney's were several years ago.

And yes, we need thicker skin and not to let such trivial things bother us, etc. However, why should we make concessions when the very people employed to make us feel special, wanted, and appreciated are doing the exact opposite? Why has the median cast member attitude towards guests become 'grin and bear it'? If we don't jump for joy over the decreasing levels of service, food, and employee attitudes, it really doesn't matter. There are thousands of others willing to take our place.

Such a shame as what once was our refuge from the real world has let reality creep across its borders.

Mrs Bus Driver
06-18-2013, 09:53 AM
I LOVE your positive attitude and I am going to try that on our next trip (if there is a next trip).

Quick background - we used to be Disney-obsessed, and still are to some degree. There was never a discussion about where we would vacation as it was always a given that it would be WDW. At a minimum, we would find ourselves there at least once a year, but more often we would make multiple trips. We were annual passholders for nearly a decade and we loved every minute of being on property.

As the years went by, it seemed like the cast members were getting less and less interested in at least feigning appreciation for our patronage, and more and more interested in either being appathetic or just plain rude without provocation. Don't get me wrong, for every one cast member that could be construed as not 100% 'magical', there are 100 more that go above and beyond and are utterly amazing in all that they do. I'm just saying that a shift now exists towards the negative, where one did not exist before.

A couple of years ago, we were at Animal Kingdom. There was an older gentleman working the turnstiles who told us that he didn't want us at 'his park' because my husband was wearing a shirt from the Harley Davidson Museum in Milwaukee. Not understanding, we asked for clarification and he went on and on about how he hates Harley Davidson and that he was a 'Honda man'. We were wondering what his intention was for bringing such a weird topic up but chalked it up to the fact that he was old and set in his ways and we just went on about our day. But what we learned that day was to NEVER wear any clothing that was advertising anything at all (unless it was Disney).

Most recently, we went to The Boardwalk for a meal at Kouzzina. Upon presenting my Michigan driver's license to security, the guard told us that he couldn't let us in. Completely confused, I started to fish in my purse for our dining confirmation information and then he went on to explain that he was an Ohio State fan and that he doesn't allow Wolverines to pass his gate. We sat there with mouths agape, saying nothing as we were in shock that he would bring up something so ludicrous. He kept going on and on about how terrible Michigan is and that he normally tells 'people like us to go to Sea World or Universal'. Happy to report that we 'scum of the Earth Wolverines' took his advice. As soon as he finally decided to stop berating us and open the gate, we made a U-turn and went to dinner at Universal's City Walk. That was our one and only trip over to the land of the mouse, as we had other business in Orlando that week, but unfortunately due to a very rude cast member, Mickey didn't get a dime from us. And just as a footnote, the cast members at Universal were downright amazing. As amazing as Disney's were several years ago.

And yes, we need thicker skin and not to let such trivial things bother us, etc. However, why should we make concessions when the very people employed to make us feel special, wanted, and appreciated are doing the exact opposite? Why has the median cast member attitude towards guests become 'grin and bear it'? If we don't jump for joy over the decreasing levels of service, food, and employee attitudes, it really doesn't matter. There are thousands of others willing to take our place.

Such a shame as what once was our refuge from the real world has let reality creep across its borders.

Please tell me you are being sarcastic. Tell me that you get that they were teasing you. I read this post and could tell that you ran into 2 cast members who were playing with you, all you had to do was tell Honda man that Harleys are the best and Hondas could eat your dust with a smile on your face and you all would have had a good laugh. Same for Ohio man, should have told him (jokingly of course) just how bad Ohio state is and how good Michigan state is. Just a little friendly rivalry all in good fun. :)

dnickels
06-18-2013, 10:26 AM
Please tell me you are being sarcastic. Tell me that you get that they were teasing you. I read this post and could tell that you ran into 2 cast members who were playing with you, all you had to do was tell Honda man that Harleys are the best and Hondas could eat your dust with a smile on your face and you all would have had a good laugh. Same for Ohio man, should have told him (jokingly of course) just how bad Ohio state is and how good Michigan state is. Just a little friendly rivalry all in good fun. :)

Yeah I get the Michigan / Ohio State stuff all the time, it's just some good fun ribbing, nothing more.

dragon73
06-18-2013, 11:26 AM

Of course I know that they were teasing us. I just didn't find it to be in good taste at all. Instead of teasing/picking on people that have differing views than they do, shouldn't they be trying to make people feel welcome?

It's just further proof that my perception of WDW has become soured over the years. Maybe I'm becoming cynical and finally growing up :unsure:

TheVBs
06-19-2013, 07:36 AM
Ok, so for the OP, I read your post a few times and unless I'm really misunderstanding, the CM was repeatedly trying to redirect your group seating so that the car would be properly filled, is that correct? Did anyone explain to him that you were trying to keep people with who they were seated with? Certainly, we expect that CMs will be in situations where they have to keep their cool, but if he was trying to fill the car and you weren't working with him or explaining what you'd hoped to do to him, how can you be surprised that he got a little frustrated? Possibly there were guests behind you who are now complaining on another board about the rude group of guests who held up the line because they wouldn't cooperate with the CM? Not taking a shot at you, just providing some perspective.

Dragon, I'm sorry you were upset by those exchanges. But I have to admit that I'm mystified by your response to the situation as well. If you knew they were attempting to find what they perceived as a fun way to engage you, then doesn't that count as an effort to go the extra mile on their part? So, they're criticized for being rude, when in fact they're trying to do the thing that you say is missing? A lot of people would get a kick out of a little rivalry talk. It's not really our thing, but when it happens to us (which I think was maybe once) we recognize that the CM is making a special effort.

I think, unfortunately, that what some people classify as rude just would not even show up on most people's radar. Without a doubt, CMs should never be rude to guests, even in a difficult situation. And, if it happens to you, please report it to someone so that it can be addressed. But, also, it might be a good idea to step back and really evaluate what happened as well.

Mendelson
06-19-2013, 08:11 AM
Yeah, I would say that it would be one thing if, for example, Dragon had a shirt on with a depiction of a major political party and then a cast member started talking about how he didn't like those kind of people....but the whole regional/brand rivalry thing seems like something that was meant to be playful.

To the original point, however, a CM should only snap and be rude under extreme and elevated circumstances. Whatever faults the OP committed they do not seem to rise to that level and didn't warrant the response they got. Patience and kindness and understanding should undergird every CM interaction.

Yes, it's a hard job, they are on their feet all day, they don't make much money, they face a relentless and unending stream of people day after day, some of whom are just jerks...and it's exactly what they signed on for.

Main Street Jim
06-19-2013, 09:47 PM
To the original point, however, a CM should only snap and be rude under extreme and elevated circumstances.Uh...I have to *very respectfully* disagree with you here. NO Cast Member should *EVER* "snap and be rude" under *ANY* circumstances. If a situation with a guest gets *THAT* heated, they (the Cast Members) need to get ahold of a coordinator or a manager; or, Security.

I could give you a *perfect* example - working parades on Main Street. If you've ever been on Main Street USA during parade time - especially a night parade - you know that there's designated walkways and only one crosswalk to cross the street in between floats (up near the train station/City Hall if you end up on the west/Adventureland side of Main Street). Whenever I worked - and trained Cast - for parades, it wasn't just a "Keep moving, keep moving" from me. It was, "Please continue moving through the walkways. This is not a parade viewing area." Never had to yell, never raised my voice (well, except over the music). Every once in a while, I'd get that guest with the "Well, where are *we* supposed to watch the parade?!?", yelling at me after the parade's already started and the street is packed. I'd politely walk *with* them to wherever I could find room - and they'd be perfectly happy to see the parade. Then afterwards, I'd usually get a "Thanks! That was great! Where can we watch fireworks from?"

I *loved* my interactions with guests.

Tekneek
06-20-2013, 09:39 AM
Regardless of the specific circumstances in this post, this is indicative of what I tend to see. I wish I still experienced the awesome CMs that others claim to, but it has been a few trips since that has happened for us. I've encountered much more rude and sarcastic CMs since around 2006. Contradictory instructions is not unusual, in my personal experience.

I'm not saying they all are, but the percentages appear to be going up. I know that people need jobs so they can get food, shelter, clothing, etc. However, being unhappy with your job should never be the customer's problem.

I'd politely walk *with* them to wherever I could find room - and they'd be perfectly happy to see the parade. Then afterwards, I'd usually get a "Thanks! That was great! Where can we watch fireworks from?"

I *loved* my interactions with guests.

This is where great customer service comes in. I think too many people are consumed with 'winning' each encounter with someone who is seen as difficult, as if life is just a series of battles and somebody is keeping a scorecard. I don't think it's about being 'right' and asserting dominance, it is about resolving problems so that everyone wins.

ransam
06-20-2013, 10:13 AM
I have eto chime in and say, that in all my disney trips, i have had 2 experiences that weer bad. Looking back, one of them was my fault, i was hot, in a bad mood, and to be honest was trying to bend the rules just a little, not much, but just a little.
I think that is a pretty good track record.

minnie04
06-20-2013, 10:18 AM
I don't think you'll get much sympathy. Sounds like your group isn't listening and following directions. Why make it harder on CMs?

Was that meant to be sarcastic when you wrote it???

barbiegirl314
06-20-2013, 02:27 PM
Yeah I get the Michigan / Ohio State stuff all the time, it's just some good fun ribbing, nothing more.

When we were there on our last trip my DS 17 was wearing a lot of his Red Sox and Patriots hats and shirts and he was getting a lot of ribbing from the CM's (especially any from NY) but we knew it was all in fun and my son enjoyed the banter back in forth with them. to me it shows that the CM is actually "seeing" you as as person and not just a body and is taking the time to interact with you

DVC2004
06-20-2013, 02:37 PM
Well I understand if it's a safety thing but we, too, were yelled at by a CM at Big Thunder. They directed everyone which line to stand in to enter the ride cars. There was a lady with the party before us who did not listen to the CMs instructions and she was jumping from space to space and telling the rest of her party to follow her. Because of this we apparently ended up in the wrong space and the CM, a young lady, screamed at us for it. I understand they are trying to keep order and have things work they way they are supposed to, but it wasn't us causing the problem. Also , didn't really seem like a situation worthy of screaming at someone for. I could understand if it was a safety issue, but geez someone else goes into the wrong place causing those behind to in turn step into the wrong space and it was as if we jumped onto the tracks or something. Unprofessional. And yes maybe she was having a bad day. I know I can't scream at people at my job even if I am having a bad day.

Tekneek
06-20-2013, 10:34 PM
Also , didn't really seem like a situation worthy of screaming at someone for. I could understand if it was a safety issue, but geez someone else goes into the wrong place causing those behind to in turn step into the wrong space and it was as if we jumped onto the tracks or something.

Yeah, she may have just been having a bad day. As a person, I forgive it. As a business though, which was built on guest service that goes above all others, each CM "just having a bad day" is making a lasting (bad) impression on each guest they encounter.

Apparently, I've been an innocent bystander for more than my fair share of CM meltdowns. I wish I could spread that around, because I can't un-see or un-hear them and it shapes my perception of them as a whole.

ChiefFlyingEagle1996
07-01-2013, 10:50 PM
Ok, so for the OP, I read your post a few times and unless I'm really misunderstanding, the CM was repeatedly trying to redirect your group seating so that the car would be properly filled, is that correct? Did anyone explain to him that you were trying to keep people with who they were seated with? Certainly, we expect that CMs will be in situations where they have to keep their cool, but if he was trying to fill the car and you weren't working with him or explaining what you'd hoped to do to him, how can you be surprised that he got a little frustrated? Possibly there were guests behind you who are now complaining on another board about the rude group of guests who held up the line because they wouldn't cooperate with the CM? Not taking a shot at you, just providing some perspective.

But see that was the thing, nobody told us how to fill in, the woman up front told us to fill in rows 5-8 and then the guy who was in charge of getting the single riders in place told my brother to move and my brother looked at me for confirmation as to what he said and the CM just snapped at him... So yes I understand he did not want my brother to be so slow, but he also should have considered that my brother is 9 (but acts 5) and not old enough to understand (or so I think other people may not agree) that there is an order to what they are doing. And I thank you for your input:)

ChiefFlyingEagle1996
07-01-2013, 11:08 PM
They get stressed out because people do not follow directions and it sounds like your group did not. When people don't follow directions it holds everything up. This is how CM get a bad review because people don't listen and the cast member get frustrated when they have to tell the person something 3 times. That person (as it seems your group did) feels they never do anything wrong even though they didn't listen then they complain about the CM. I'm sorry I have never had a problem with a cast member and I've been there about 10 in the last 7 years.

I understand what you are saying, but I don't completely agree with it... We have never ever had a problem with cast members except in that trip so we were just quite shocked by the behavior, and also we were listening we just didn't automatically fix it it took a couple of seconds I don't think I clarified that in the original post, my bad:/

I am a bit torn on this one, as in everything, it's a matter of perspective, but guests don't choose when and where to sit. As the line keeps moving they tell you, two in line two, two in line 3, and so on. If he was supposed to move to another spot, then he should have. Getting a single rider the CM would have had to go all the way down and get one, holding up the train ..... albeit only mere seconds, but still..... as far as Soarin, that was an obvious lack of communication. Finally, as far as the rude words and actions, well like mentined it's a matter of perspective and what level of tolerance we have. It should never happen, that a CM gets truly rude and or hostile toward a guest, but everyone has a bad day....I'm not excusing just assuming it was just one of those days. I hope the rest of the trip was good !! :cool:

With the whole single-rider ordeal all he had to do was put them in the car with me as opposed to the seat behind me I'm not sure why e insisted on putting the single-rider in one car and moving my brother from the other car and into mine haha
And thank you the rest of our trip was simply splendid haha

Perspective time!

Everyone is human.

I work for small amount of compensation, and have birthday mothers yelling and complaining in my face and I wear a smile for every second of it plus I fix the situation immediately for them (or I try to get someone who can) and then as soon as I have fixed I go back to making their child feel special, so I believe if I can do that then CMs can have a little bit of patience in situations that I listed :)

Tekneek
07-02-2013, 08:22 AM
What defines superior service is not how the problem-free, error-free, easy days/orders/guests/customers go. What separates the excellence from the pack is when the going gets tough. Anybody can get grumpy, grouchy, angry, and take it out on the guests/customers. Excellent service never lets that change the mission or reveal that it has had any impact at all.

disneylovinmom
07-04-2013, 11:11 PM
Fortunately, I have never encountered a rude CM. Now, extremely rude guests, you bet. There is no reason for anybody to be nasty at WDW. It is allegedly the "Happiest Place on Earth." Be happy, life is short. ;)

AmandaChan
07-14-2013, 09:58 AM
Fortunately, I have never encountered a rude CM. Now, extremely rude guests, you bet. There is no reason for anybody to be nasty at WDW. It is allegedly the "Happiest Place on Earth." Be happy, life is short. ;)

It's funny, because the only times I have felt in a foul mood at WDW is because I have encountered someone that is already in a foul mood. Even if your kid is freaking out and being crazy it is never going to help the situation to be rude and disgruntled to others. I know from experience. :mickey::mickey: Life is short. I try to apply this to my daily life :)

Well I take that back; there was one time when our in laws kept getting lost and it drove me bonkers. I was in a foul mood then, too...

tjstrike
07-18-2013, 06:45 AM
So the way I understand it from some of you is : rude patron makes CM angry / upset so there for he / she can take it out on the next patron that happens to be in their way ? Or maybe its because they're under paid... so it's ok ? :ack:

MNNHFLTX
07-18-2013, 08:06 AM
So the way I understand it from some of you is : rude patron makes CM angry / upset so there for he / she can take it out on the next patron that happens to be in their way ? Or maybe its because they're under paid... so it's ok ? :ack:Based on the OP 's description of the events, I don't think he and his family were rude, just a bit confused and slow to react. In any case, I do agree that this does not justify the CM handling it in a less than professional manner.

tjstrike
07-18-2013, 09:33 AM
I wasn't talking about the OP, more like they were the ones that came along next and got the raw end of the deal. (sorry about that)

JerseyDad
07-18-2013, 11:22 AM
...not sure if I posted about this before ...but we encountered a cast member on the Jungle Cruise in 2010 that completely went ballistic .....and to be honest ....I don't blame him one bit. In fact ...I wanted to applaud him.

....after everyone is seated, the first thing the guide does is to tell you ...."No Standing Up". Well ...there is always someone that just doesn't understand the "NO" part of the instructions.

....a few persons at the back of the boat were the ones that can't comprehend the "NO" word ...and are repeatedly told to sit back down.

....the "guide" on the boat was a bit of a stand-up comic as he went through his scripted "routine" ...having a bit of playful sarcasm in his tone. As soon as everyone had boarded the boat...he reminded people to stay seated through the length of the ride. A few of those "non-compliant" passengers at the rear of the boat were periodically getting up to take pictures...and the "guide" somewhat comically reminded them to sit.....and that "the camera works just as well seated as it does standing"

All of a sudden...I suppose that someone else at the back of the boat got up...and the Cast Member yelled at the top of his lungs through the microphone, "I SAID..SIT DOWN..NOW"!!. Well...you could hear a pin drop after that. The comical sarcasm and schtick...no longer seemed funny.

.....I know that there are safety concerns ...and the Cast Members that operate rides are charged with the duties of keeping the guests safe. But the way he expressed his "concern"...was something that I had never seen before. And...perhaps there may have been a better way to get his point across?

....on the other hand ...there are people that will not listen to what you tell them ...no matter how many times you say what needs to be said. He's at the front of the boat ....they were at the back...and if something happened...he's too far away to help ASAP. And...since the boats ride on an underwater track...there is probably more danger of someone getting maimed by machinery ...than drowning (water is only about 3 feet deep...(most of the places). But ...one of the "standees" was holding a small (less than 3 yrs old) child ...so maybe that's what set off the guide?

....we've had so many great interactions and off the cuff conversations with cast members that ...when something like that happens, you are somewhat shocked. But ...as I said ...he was there for the safety of the guests ...and they didn't want to listen.

....I suppose that if there ever was a reason for a cast member to ...maybe ..overstep the boundaries into the 'rude zone' ...it's when safety and imminent danger is present

Boost
07-21-2013, 06:26 PM
Great posts, all.

Funny about the Jungle Cruise CM and I have seen CM's lose it on people and for good reason. They don't want to be fishing people out of the water!

As for the folks with the Harley shirt and Michigan shirt, the CM was very likely just joking around. I am a Florida Gator (Univ of Florida) and I have had CM's at parks who are Seminoles (Fla State Univ - our big rivals) make wry comments about my Gator shirts from time to time.

As a past Cast Member myself, I assure anyone that there is no way that those guys were trying to make anyone uncomfortable. Instead, they were just having fun with you.

Remember....FUN???