PDA

View Full Version : Lack Of New/Good Merchandise?

GMRO
06-12-2013, 10:57 AM
Anyone else feel that there is a lack of new or kewl merchandise these days at the WORLD?

Wife and I just got back from 10 days in late May2013 and we didn't find much to spend on. We did score a new Epcot shirt that is sort of retro - light blue with SE on it and the monorail. But past that we didn't find much worth feeding the mouse for... At DTD wife did get a new Harvey comic print purse...vs. any dooney or else that she saw. I actually spotted it. Each trip our tradition is she gets a new purse of some sort... :)

We ended up spending more at the Harley dealerships we visited in Daytona thru Orlando this trip. Nice change to have some new HD shirts...but the mouse lost out this trip IMO.

Hope this changes. We just didn't see any MUST HAVE items for the "get it for me" list this vacation.

On the cruise they did have a sale, which is not something you see ever on the ships for DCL stuff. Discounted DCL stuff is non-existent. But this trip on the DREAM we found the shops with a lot of great discounted shirts and other stuff. Hoodies, I don't need any more but at the prices they were at - YUP we got new ones anyway. ;)

Hope the lack of merchandise trend changes...we missed feeding the mouse!

DizneyRox
06-12-2013, 01:06 PM
It's been like this for years.. Pretty much last few times we went, we spend $0.00 on merchandise. We got a little monorail train for the little guy one morning at AK and it was broken by lunch. Returned it and vowed to stop buying their cheap junk.

Wife got a coffee mug at AKL like three/four years ago. After the second wash, the graphic had washed off. I've still got McDonalds glasses from the Millennium Celebration that look brand new and we use them regularly.

I think the last time we spent anything significant on shopping was like 2001 or 2002.

GMRO
06-12-2013, 01:21 PM
I hear ya.

We are big coffee drinkers. Usually we find a set of mugs we like and we get. Have quite the collection of mugs. We rotate them!!!

BUT this trip nothing. Saw the blue SM mug with arm/glove handle with glitter stars all over them. But figured a few handwashes and the glitter would be all over our sink. So pass!!!

We did get a set of new plates for our table. White with the classic MIckey in the center. The bamboo ones we saw looked fragile. Our older acrylic bowls and drinking glasses are worn. Pretty old...about 9+ years. They are showing signs of cracks and wear. Never dishwasher treated just old fashion wear and tear. Not upset...but we could not find a nice replacement for them.

Just nothing worth buying...

AllDisney
06-12-2013, 05:12 PM
We have noticed over the years that we hardly come back from the World with anything. We used to be able to buy gifts but the selection is getting pretty small.....PLUS......the parks don't seem to have unique items. You can now find the same stuff all over the place.

I save money:thumbsup:

MNNHFLTX
06-12-2013, 07:25 PM
We have noticed over the years that we hardly come back from the World with anything. We used to be able to buy gifts but the selection is getting pretty small.....PLUS......the parks don't seem to have unique items. You can now find the same stuff all over the place. So true! I was excited about the potential for new, unique souvenirs on our recent trip to France and Disneyland Paris. But I found the selection of park-specific stuff disappointing. Worse yet, a lot of what we saw were generic Disney-ish items that you can get in any park. So boring!!

The only souvenir I bought was a cross-body Dooney and Bourke handbag that was specific to DLP. I love it!

thads
06-13-2013, 01:49 AM
It's been like this for years.. Pretty much last few times we went, we spend $0.00 on merchandise. We got a little monorail train for the little guy one morning at AK and it was broken by lunch. Returned it and vowed to stop buying their cheap junk.

Wife got a coffee mug at AKL like three/four years ago. After the second wash, the graphic had washed off. I've still got McDonalds glasses from the Millennium Celebration that look brand new and we use them regularly.

I think the last time we spent anything significant on shopping was like 2001 or 2002.

Those are the best glasses. I have the whole set and love them.

Melanie
06-13-2013, 06:24 AM
I do have to say that the last couple of years there have been some great t-shirts. I love the food specific (Dole Whips, Churros, etc.) ones.

joonyer
06-13-2013, 02:14 PM
Only stuff we buy there anymore are Christmas ornaments,

Terra
06-13-2013, 03:09 PM
Oh gosh, not for me! I go at least monthly, if not twice monthly and can always find something. My issue is enough money to buy it all!:blush:
I have long "wish" list but budget dictates how much, when and what I get.

I do collect coffee mugs because I'm a huge coffee lover myself! I think my next thing is to try to get a mug from each EPCOT country.

I do agree that some of the toys are "cheaply" made. By the same token, my boys earn 'marbles for money' in their daily life [for chores, behavior, and educational work both during the school year and summer], and the money they earn for the marbles, they are free to spend at Disney how they want.

Usually it's about $15-20 each a month. And they have hours of endless entertainment from them.

Disney Rox, I do agree about that little monorail! My oldest had to have it and it broke of course within a couple of days, BUT he now uses it as 2 monorails! Ahhhh the magic of Disney!:mickey:

GMRO
06-13-2013, 03:55 PM
Last year I did get a neat Jessica Rabbit Motorcycle shirt. Neat front pocket area log and her on a MC on the back. NICE!

This year past the EPCOT shirt nothing made the "get-for-me" list.

We also noticed that a lot of the shops seemed to have more ROOM in them. Like DTD's World Of Disney - wow we were surprised to see more walking area in the stores. Usually they have displays jammed in it. Plenty of room and not meaning less folks in the stores. Few other shops in the parks we found more empty floor space too.

Just an observation...

wdwluv
06-14-2013, 01:06 PM
I was really disappointed with the 2013 logo stuff. I don't like the design.

I've bought a glass snow globe the last 4 years, and this year they only have the plastic cheap ones. blah. I bought it because I was desperate to keep my collection going - but I HATE it! I also got a 2013 ornament - but I don't like that either! It's just the Sorcerer Mickey hat with the year. It just doesn't seem like much thought went into it. Doesn't measure up to the ones I've bought in years past. Soooo very disappointed.

Jsgirl26
06-14-2013, 01:20 PM
Only stuff we buy there anymore are Christmas ornaments,

Me too! And the scrapbook stuff!
But other than that nothing really catches my eye anymore.

GMRO
06-14-2013, 01:21 PM
YUP! Agreed!!!

I collect antenna toppers for the year. For a few years now I have them on my desk at work. Usually it's the grad one since it has the year. I cut away the silly tassle and leave the nice foam year. In 2010 I got screwed cause the design was stupid - it didn't really look like a 2010. So I don't have that one.

I've 06 thru 09. All great. No 2010. I opted to get the Capt'n Mickey hat topper from DCL that year since the 2010's would not work for my purpose/collection.

In 2011 I was able to remove the CLASS OF ink from the topper and the 11 shows well as do the OTHER years mentioned. ANDC 2012 is great too!

Now the 2013 is the new silly SM hat upsidedown. Yes SM is my favorite character...but this topper one will not stand up on the desk. Some mods will be needed.

It's the simple things... Funny visitors to my office always see the desk and the toppers and naturally assume I missed 2010's trip - seems everyone knows we go each year to feed the mouse. ;) I wish I had begun to collect them before 06 when I got the idea. I'd need a full shelf for them!

I did get the 2013, same design, PIN. Don't mind that but the topper kinda stinks since the 2013 is only seen from one side of the topper.

Terra
06-14-2013, 05:58 PM
Oh that is a great idea!!! Thanks for sharing! When I start getting my classroom ready for the new year I'm going to do that. I think I'll use mine on the top of pens. Plus I have a whole Disney Tiki Office set so it will go great!!!