PDA

View Full Version : Best Packing Tips + Tips for Teenagers at WDW

tinkerbell97
06-08-2013, 03:03 PM
Hi there! I haven't been to Disney in a few years so I'm not totally sure what to pack (besides basics, of course). Also, how can I save some room in my suitcase so that I have room for souvenirs to bring back? That seemed to be a problem the last time I went to Disney.

Another thing is that I'm fifteen and I'm going to Disney with my best friend (who is sixteen) and her dad. What are fun, teen-friendly things to do at Disney? I know that Disney is really great about accommodating to every age group (which is part of the reason why WDW is so amazing!) but like I said, I haven't been there in a few years (aka since I was nine or ten) so I didn't know if there were any new attractions worth checking out.

Thanks for the help (:
Tinkerbell97 :cool:

SBETigg
06-08-2013, 03:13 PM
Animal Kingdom gets better every time we go, and my kids really love it (slightly older than teens now). Expedition Everest is really fun, if you haven't tried that yet. Also, my kids developed more love for World Showcase in the teen years-- shopping and eating around the world. Soarin' is also a favorite, and Test Track has been redone recently.

Hollywood Studios has Toy Story Mania, lots of fun but get there early to Fastpass or ride before lines build up. Magic Kingdom remains their favorite park overall, with some subtle changes to Pirates of the Caribbean and a new look/additions to Fantasyland, like the Little Mermaid ride and Beauty and the Beast touches (Gaston's Tavern, Belle's Storytime, Be Our Guest).

Not sure you'll have much say in what you eat, or if you are doing any table service meals, but Be Our Guest in Fantasyland is the new hot place to try to score an ADR, but they have counter service in the afternoons if you can't. My kids both love Via Napoli, Tokyo Dining, and anything Mexican in World Showcase. Also, the resorts have so much to offer depending on where you are staying.

Make sure you pack comfortable footwear, and extra socks if you wear socks. Bathing suit, or two. Chewing gum if you like gum because they don't sell it on property. Batteries if you have anything with batteries, because they are much cheaper outside the parks. Sunblock, again cheaper elsewhere. You can pick up rain ponchos in the camping section of Target/Walmart for a buck or a few bucks each, instead of paying in the parks if it starts to rain (also great for water rides, and you have cheap ones you don't mind throwing them out once wet). Happy travels!

VWL Mom
06-08-2013, 03:29 PM
:welcome: to INTERCOT. I think Sherri has given you some great tips to start you out If you're going to DTD you may want to check out Splitsville (https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/entertainment/downtown-disney/splitsville/) or Fork and Screen (https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/entertainment/downtown-disney/amc-downtown-disney-24/) for dinner.

Capt_redshirt
06-08-2013, 03:34 PM
For taking home souvenirs, Consider using your clothing as packing material (works great with breakables)

disneydeb
06-08-2013, 04:13 PM
If you are going anytime between now and mid October wear light colored cotton clothing to stay cooler along with light colored shoes. Frog togs are wonderful to help keep you cool too. Drink plenty of water!

ISLE39
06-08-2013, 10:22 PM
My tip for room in the suitcase is when u pack ur toiletries aka shampoo conditioner body wash. I use the ends of the bottles. I only bring enough for the trip so I can throw out the empty bottles. Also can bring a water bottle full of laundry detergent n do one load of laundry so u don't need to pack as much. Have fun

vamaggie
06-09-2013, 11:10 AM
Another tip for leaving room for souvenirs is to bring PJs, flip flops, tees and underwear that are almost ready to be thrown away. Wear and toss. Gives a bit more room on the way home. I also pack a foldable tote bag in case I really need more room for things on the way home. I put my purse in it if need be (for flying)

kakn7294
06-09-2013, 10:29 PM
My 13 yo daughter recently traveled with my parents. I packed her clothing in individual zip-top plastic bags so that each individual outfit (including undergarments and socks) was ready to go everyday and she didn't have to worry about which shorts went with which shirt once she got there.

stephicakes
06-10-2013, 05:52 AM
I always carry a backpack in the park for water, cameras, ponchos, hand sanitizer, etc.
I always carry extra zip-lock bags with me as well in order to store cameras & cell phones on water rides, or for wet ponchos.

Can never have enough baggies :thumbsup:

TinkerbellFan16
06-10-2013, 07:55 AM
I just back from a trip last week where all of us were teenagers (18 and 19). The thing we enjoyed the most was EPCOT. As you get older, the World Showcase becomes more enjoyable in my opinion. When I was younger, it was all about the rides, but now I love just walking around the World Showcase and enjoying the shops, the little shows (the drummers in Japan are always amazing), and the food is also top notch.

Big thing when packing: SUNSCREEN! Put it on before you leave the hotel room, but it in your park bag to reapply...
A poncho or a rain jacket is also a really good idea. It's Florida, and during the summer there are afternoon showers ALL THE TIME. They aren't long enough to warrant a trip back to the hotel, but it is nice to stay dry. I also had packed a pair of flip flops in a old grocery bag in my park bag. That way if it started raining hard, I could change from my sneakers to the flip flops, and once it stopped, changed back after drying off my feet with a paper towel. I hate wearing wet socks and sneakers.

In regards to space for souvenirs, when you pack the suitcase, roll your clothes. I know it sounds weird, but when you roll them (especially shorts/pants) instead of fold them, and then line them up instead of stack on top of each other, it saves space. And, it actually prevents wrinkles.

I hoped this helped!

Katzateer
06-10-2013, 09:02 AM
Waterproof shoes - like crocs. Have a great time! My youngest went with her best friend last year for high school graduation trip. They had a great time. Her friend enjoyed AK and my daughter loves EPCOT and MK.

DisneyDawgette
06-10-2013, 12:14 PM
Definitely seconding the sunscreen post. Even tan people will bake in that hot Florida sun! In addition to sunscreen, we always bring our own waters and snacks in a backpack. Small things like granola bars and goldfish that travel easily and are small. You'll save a ton of money if you don't have to buy water in the park, and it helps you to be more selective about any signature Disney treats you'd like to buy when you bring some snacks of your own!

Also, I would recommend packing in a bag bigger than what you need for the trip. I always pack in an XL duffel and throw my toiletry bag in it for the trip down, and then I pull out my toiletry bag for the trip home and use that extra space for souvenirs. :thumbsup:

SandmanGStefani24
06-10-2013, 12:28 PM
bringing gifts back used to be an issue for me, but now i pack an empty backpack flattened in my carry on/check in bag. Then, i use the backpack to carry the items displaced by the stuff i buy to bring back and check the bigger bag.

As for the clothes, try packing one outfit for everything. it will be hot, but don't think it won't get slightly cool or rainy one day. weather changes on a whim so be ready just in case. As for staying cool, use shops, sit down rides, shows, and meals to break up your day to ensure you aren't putting yourself on a death march. :D

Disney_pups2
06-10-2013, 03:08 PM
If you are staying at a Disney resort have your packages shipped back to the room. If not look while you are going around the park and then last minute sniper shop so that you don't have to carry things. If you are going during summer months go ahead and purchase a rain poncho and put it in your belly purse or whatever you are going to carry. It rains almost daily between 2-5pm during certain months. If you are light skinned make sure to bring some sunblock as the sun in Florida is way more intense than northern states. You CAN and will burn even in cloud cover. IF you do burn easily bring a travel sized Noxema with you for repair. It takes the heat out of the burn. DO NOT drink the water out of the faucets as most of our family from out of town got sick from this because Florida water, even filtered can mess with stomachs. Bring an extra pair of shoes just in case your feet start hurting, you can rotate to another pair of shoes. Bring bandaids for blisters and wear new shoes around before taking them. Bring a collapsible bag for souvenirs as most airlines will allow you a carry on and you can put your purse in the bag for on the plane. Bring your phone charger with you IF you plan on using your phone for a camera or buy extra batteries on EBAY they do have charge lockers now at the front of the parks that you can pay to use for an hour or two if your device really won't make it through the day. Make sure you charge cameras and phones every night. Bring sun glasses. Bring Pepto or something for stomach just in case along with allergy medicines as the climate and atmosphere is VERY different from Northern states and most have allergy problems there while adjusting. Drink lots of water and when you guys find yourselves getting hot find a cool place to sit such as in WDW Hall of Presidents, stitch and Carousel of Progress come in handy for when you need cool. If you start to feel nauseous or light headed get water immediately and sit for a while.. you are feeling the beginning of heat exhaust which is easy to get there. We have found our fair share of heat exhausted people in the parks. DO NOT GULP the water however if you are nauseous. If all else fails and you need further help please go to the first aid station located at the front of the parks. They are very good at helping with most scenarios. Have a great time and stay cool!

gueli
06-10-2013, 09:26 PM
There are so many things to bring/ have down there. the sunscreen post is accurate, as is the idea to have shoes that can take water. pancho's , etc.

You can ship a box down to yourself for things you don't want to carry, and if I recall correctly you can use the same box (with a new label) to ship stuff back to your home...

have a great time and WELCOME to intercot:mickey:

mickeys_princess_mom
06-14-2013, 11:56 PM
Welcome! :wave: Lots of good advice here!
I've learned over time that re: a bag to carry in the parks--Less. Is. More! A messenger style bag that goes crossways is handy but stays out of your way. Gives you freedom. Also the little drawstring bookbags are good if you're not carrying much. Lugging a heavy bag or backpack around can be a pain. Literally. ;) Have fun!

tinkerbell97
06-19-2013, 08:18 PM
Thank you all for the advice! I'm so excited to be in my favorite place in the world on FRIDAY! :mickey: I'll definitely be taking you guys' advice!

Sylvia
06-19-2013, 09:09 PM
I just wanted to tell you to have a wonderful time and to congratulate you for being so mature. This thread has been one of my favorites in quite a long time.

I also want to remind you to take one or two hats with brims, such as baseball caps, and a pair of good sunglasses to protect your eyes. You'll need the extra protection from the sun, in addition to sun block.

Have a wonderful time.

emerzmom
06-21-2013, 11:47 AM
Hope you have lots of fun!
:tink:
Julie