PDA

View Full Version : I am very sad

Lovewildernesslodge
06-07-2013, 11:10 AM
I am not sure if this is the place to post this but I just needed to vent a little.

I am so sad that with the way the economy is right now that Disney just keeps raising their prices. I seriously love going to Disney but have not been able to afford a trip in quite a while. I know I am not the only one who is struggling right now and who feels the same way. Wouldn't it be nice if Disney would lower their prices by having a Retro Year Celebration, like picking a year from the 1990's? I think that would be sooo cool and would help a lot of people out right now. I would bet ya they would be full that whole year!! Anyway, thanks for listening to me vent a little. One can wish can't they??

caryrae
06-07-2013, 11:16 AM
I'm with you, we were lucky enough to have gone last year but only because my Parents did an awesome thing and paid for us to go with them to WDW. If not for them we would not have been able to go and the last time we went ourselves was 2009 and have no plans to go in the future because it is just to exspensive for us now which is sad.

DizneyRox
06-07-2013, 11:25 AM
Let them eat cake!

buzznwoodysmom
06-07-2013, 11:42 AM
[QUOTE=Lovewildernesslodge;2357092] I think that would be sooo cool and would help a lot of people out right now. I would bet ya they would be full that whole year!! [QUOTE]

The thing is....Disney isn't really having trouble keeping the parks full year round as it is. There isn't a real slow time like there used to be. We go every year and even with prices increasing, it seems the crowds are increasing as well.

Strmchsr
06-07-2013, 01:32 PM
Disney isn't really having trouble keeping the parks full year round as it is. There isn't a real slow time like there used to be.

The thing is, though, it's not Americans filling the parks. It's more and more people from South America (especially) and Europe. Since the American economy is so weak and the dollar is weak people from around the world are packing WDW out. So, Disney doesn't seem to have to take the American economy into account because it's the world market that's driving their rising attendance.

SBETigg
06-07-2013, 01:54 PM
Interesting thought. Disney is a business and they do need to make money. With the parks being full despite prices, I can't imagine them dropping the prices any time soon. Why would they? I can't afford a lot of things that I want, but I don't expect the prices to lower just so that I can. Though, wouldn't it be sweet?

When I plan my trips, park admission price is probably one of the last things to hold me back, actually. It's just the price of my Disney vacation, and resort prices tend to hold my focus more than park admission prices. Plus, when I'm there, I spend a lot more money in the parks than just my admission price. Which adds validity to your point. What kind of hit would Disney take to actually lower admissions prices instead of raising? Would they actually make more money with more people in the parks spending? Then again, if crowds are already high, they are probably reaping profits anyway and in no position to consider lowering prices. Sadly, the way it is.

Ms. Mode
06-07-2013, 02:04 PM
I answered a post earlier today about how we are "Disney Poor", we have spent way to much money on Disney vacations in the past 10 years...but I would do it again if I had the option. We give up some things in order to feed the addition that is WDW to me and my DD. She is now married and is trying to convert her DH to an addict too. Lucky for her, her Daddy understands the addition and gave a family trip for December.

We have been in the parks at peak, and low times and I have to say that I see very little difference, it's always crowded!

JoDisney
06-07-2013, 02:57 PM
Denise, totally agree. Disney is doing great in this economy. It will never lower prices.

Butters
06-07-2013, 03:33 PM
Sure the prices went up... But would anyone make a go/no go decision based on a $10 ticket increase?

buzznwoodysmom
06-07-2013, 04:50 PM
The thing is, though, it's not Americans filling the parks. It's more and more people from South America (especially) and Europe. Since the American economy is so weak and the dollar is weak people from around the world are packing WDW out. So, Disney doesn't seem to have to take the American economy into account because it's the world market that's driving their rising attendance.

Chris, completely agree with you about who is filling the parks. Disney doesn't care who it is filling the parks, and as long as they are full prices won't drop. This, unfortunately prices out many, many American families.

caryrae
06-07-2013, 10:16 PM
Sure the prices went up... But would anyone make a go/no go decision based on a $10 ticket increase?

But it's not just the price of tickets, it's food/drink prices, merchandise, resort/hotel, travel, etc as well.

Remember when Disney had the deal of like 6 days 7 nights for $1500 for a family of 4 years ago, what does that same deal cost now?

Reedy Creek Buccaneer
06-08-2013, 03:16 AM
I have spent $2801 for 8 nights at AKV and tickets and won't get to my first ride until next Sunday. Still got to buy gas and food. $4000+ on this trip! Yikes!

I say if you can't do a big trip in one year, just go for 2 or 3 days every year. That way you don't break the bank.

Butters
06-08-2013, 06:49 AM
But it's not just the price of tickets, it's food/drink prices, merchandise, resort/hotel, travel, etc as well.

Remember when Disney had the deal of like 6 days 7 nights for $1500 for a family of 4 years ago, what does that same deal cost now?

There prices have not increased too much, I just looked it up for an apples to apples comparison. The deal you mentioned was for a value, 2 adults, one child, one infant. Using their free dining offer in September you can get food, tickets and a value for $1592.39

Of course if you want to stay above a moderate the price goes up, but their are options to see Disney for a week without a 4k budget if you plan accordingly.

MNNHFLTX
06-08-2013, 01:23 PM
I answered a post earlier today about how we are "Disney Poor", we have spent way to much money on Disney vacations in the past 10 years...but I would do it again if I had the option. We give up some things in order to feed the addition that is WDW to me and my DD. She is now married and is trying to convert her DH to an addict too. Lucky for her, her Daddy understands the addition and gave a family trip for December. For me, that's travel in general. People are always commenting on how much my family and I travel, but it's all what your priorities are. If you look around my house you won't see high-end design or the latest electronic gadgets. We drive the same vehicles we have had for 7-8 years (paid off, of course) and unlike most my neighbors, do our own yard and housework. Right now where we put our money is in ongoing home improvement, college tuition and travel. And we don't regret one minute of our vacations either, especially the Disney ones. :mickey:

Disney is a for-profit corporation and it would be crazy for them to lower prices when they have absolutely no problem luring people to the resorts and into parks the way it is. All we can do is be as frugal as we can in the planning. And while I know it seems like the cost increases have hit especially hard in recent years, people have been complaining about them annually since I joined the boards (13 years ago).

Hammer
06-08-2013, 03:22 PM
For me, that's travel in general. People are always commenting on how much my family and I travel, but it's all what your priorities are. If you look around my house you won't see high-end design or the latest electronic gadgets. We drive the same vehicles we have had for 7-8 years (paid off, of course) and unlike most my neighbors, do our own yard and housework. Right now where we put our money is in ongoing home improvement, college tuition and travel. And we don't regret one minute of our vacations either, especially the Disney ones. :mickey:

Disney is a for-profit corporation and it would be crazy for them to lower prices when they have absolutely no problem luring people to the resorts and into parks the way it is. All we can do is be as frugal as we can in the planning. And while I know it seems like the cost increases have hit especially hard in recent years, people have been complaining about them annually since I joined the boards (13 years ago).

I agree with Beth; it all what is prioritized as important for you. Like Beth, I am spending money on improvements to the home I purchased last year. I was approved to purchase a home for 50,000-75,000 dollars more than the house I bought. I did this so I would still have money for the things I enjoy doing, like travel and my partial season ticket plan for the Phillies.

I also agree that as Disney is a for-profit organization and there isn't a reason for them to lower prices when plenty of people are going there every year. Disney has raised prices every year, sometimes twice a year, ever since I joined this board and people have never been happy about it. I just make sure I plan for it in my budgeting so I can afford the increases.

Tiggerlovr9000
06-09-2013, 03:57 AM
I agree with some of the others. Its all about priorities. We live in a modest house and drive older cars and don't own a flat screen. Just cant see getting one when all the TV's we do own work just fine. We hardly go out to movies etc. Our priority is getting to travel once or twice a year. We do this on a budget and have only got to stay on site once. I always book motel with free hot breakfast. each one of us gets ten dollars for lunch and ten dollars for dinner. We eat lunch in the parks and dinner off site. We buy very few tshirts etc. We get free ice water at the counter service and add ice tea or flavored packets. We also get an occasional treat like a churro or mickey bar. I really think the price of WDW park tickets are not to highly priced especially if you stay 7 days or more. Some people may not like to travel like us but we never feel deprived or hungry. We always have a great time...Don't do Disney every year but every other is better than not at all.

luvdiznee
06-09-2013, 06:56 AM
I always say, as long as there are many willing to pay these prices, Disney isn't going to change anything.

CJDDS
06-09-2013, 06:57 AM
There are plenty of other places to go for much less money than Disney. A couple years ago we went to Pigeon Forge and had a great time for a fraction of what a Disney vacation costs. Look outside the Disney box. They aren't the only game in town.

buzznwoodysmom
06-09-2013, 02:37 PM
There are plenty of other places to go for much less money than Disney. A couple years ago we went to Pigeon Forge and had a great time for a fraction of what a Disney vacation costs. Look outside the Disney box. They aren't the only game in town.

Wow! Our one and only trip to the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area cost us as much as our Disney trips!!!! As a matter of fact lately we have found it hard to vacation anywhere for much less than we spend in Disney.

Heck 3 nights at the beach last weekend ended up running us around $2000! That's crazy when you consider we are currently booked for 7 nights at POR, 4 day tickets, plus free dining Thanksgiving week for just $2800!

TheVBs
06-09-2013, 03:59 PM
Love the idea of a Retro Year Celebration! :mickey: They could have fun with that in so many ways. Actually, I think it would be cool even if they just did it for a few days one year. I am so sorry that you haven't been able to book a trip though. :( That would be hard for us too. Think of different ways you could save, or alter a trip to make it work. You never know!

We've been "vacation poor" too. We take our trips very seriously (Disney every other year, somewhere else in between). I'm not joking when I say they're vital to our mental health! We had a very rough time at the end of last year/beginning of this year, and I can't tell you what it means to us to know that at the end of summer we'll be visiting family in Montana and getting to see Yellowstone for the first time!

I also agree that we cannot seem to vacation anywhere else for less. We ended up spending more on a trip of just a few days to the Wisconsin Dells than it would have cost us for a WDW trip!! :confused: We love visiting new destinations, but we're under no illusion that it will save us any money, and we rarely get more bang for our buck somewhere else.

disney obsessed
06-10-2013, 09:35 AM
I find it is a combination of things that limit my ability to go to the world. This is what I have done to make it possible.

Scour the web for airfare. We do not like to drive. We have many times when the kids were young, but i have grown too impatient to be in the car for 14 hrs. We have an airline called allegiant that occasionally has great prices. It flies into sanford and we have to rent a car and we cannot use magical express, but we are in disney. I have opted to stay off site several times over the recent years. It is not my favorite but again, I am at disney. When it comes to park days, we have been fortunate to go to the parks over the years, so we know what we like and what we don't. If I am staying for 4 days I would opt for a two day hopper. We also love to roam the property.

I remember getting 5 day adult park hoppers for 148.00 in the nineties. They say that hind site is twenty twenty vision. I should have bought a bunch of no expiration tickets and kept them for the future.

Wolf
06-10-2013, 10:39 AM
I got really lucky and could finally take my Mom on our dream trip last Oct, it was because I landed a really amazing job, which I promptly got laid off from when the sequester thing went down, but I am extremely grateful we got that because now....I just don't know...I hate to say it but I have no idea when I'll be able to go again, but either way I'm so happy we got to go when we did, if I never set foot there again, I got to do the two things I promised her years ago, I got to let her stay at the Polynessian for a few days on a short weekend trip (my Papaw helped build the roof on the Poly when it was first built) and we got to do a 10 day trip, I've done what I promised her alot earlier than I thought I'd be able, so no matter what happens I'm happy.

But I am totally with OP I would love to be able to take DBF who's never been but would absolutely love it, maybe one day lol (Sorry yall, I read a self-help book about positive thinking so its kinda cotton candyish up in my brain lately)

Terra
06-10-2013, 05:35 PM
I find it is a combination of things that limit my ability to go to the world. This is what I have done to make it possible.

Scour the web for airfare. We do not like to drive. We have many times when the kids were young, but i have grown too impatient to be in the car for 14 hrs. We have an airline called allegiant that occasionally has great prices. It flies into sanford and we have to rent a car and we cannot use magical express, but we are in disney. I have opted to stay off site several times over the recent years. It is not my favorite but again, I am at disney. When it comes to park days, we have been fortunate to go to the parks over the years, so we know what we like and what we don't. If I am staying for 4 days I would opt for a two day hopper. We also love to roam the property.

I remember getting 5 day adult park hoppers for 148.00 in the nineties. They say that hind site is twenty twenty vision. I should have bought a bunch of no expiration tickets and kept them for the future.

This is the best advice! To be honest if we lived out of state we'd probably never be able to go in our currently income bracket OR do it like this poster said!

I'm one of the rare ones that agree with you and do believe that it is very expensive [though worth every penny]. Our combined [DH and mine] income yearly is under $35K [which will be bumped by another 10K this coming year with a promotion for me at work!]

Anyway, even living close we still have to budget. I'm so thankful that for Florida Residents we can pay monthly for the passes. And when we go, often I pack drinks/snacks/even lunches for the kiddos since they don't fully appreciate the yummy food yet :)
When we *do* weekend get away to WDW it is generally off property in one of the many hotels on 192.
When we did our official vacation last year for a week, we had a friend, who worked at Disney, get us the Friends/Family hotel discount so we paid $300 for the whole week at a value and that was great!!!

I love Intercot, lots of great people and great info! I do find that I feel like I'm on the "poorer" end though and sometimes have a hard time grasping when others share opinions and insights.
By the way I see you are new to Intercot so let me say WELCOME!!!!!:mickey::mickey::mickey::mickey::micke y: