PDA

View Full Version : First trip/FP question (June)

masondoggy
06-06-2013, 04:24 PM
We are going for the first time next week. We'll be in MK Thursday and HS on Friday.

Not expecting to be able to do it all but just wondering what big attractions in those parks are likely to sell out FP quickly? I'm hoping to at least hit the main attractions. Is there anything we MUST run to first thing or risk not being able to do it? Thanks. :mickey:

ANG
06-06-2013, 04:41 PM
MK can vary depending on what you are interested in. But I know a lot of people will say Peter Pan.

And HS is most certainly Toy Story Mania

mechanic
06-06-2013, 04:58 PM
You are cutting it close. you should buy your fps online before you go.

ANG
06-06-2013, 05:07 PM
You are cutting it close. you should buy your fps online before you go.

I didn't think they were already available to choose online

Strmchsr
06-06-2013, 05:18 PM
No, they aren't. And you can't buy a Fastpass, anyway, at Disney. Fastpasses are only purchased at other parks like Universal and Six Flags.

TheHD
06-06-2013, 05:44 PM
If you want to try all of the major attractions, I suggest definitely going straight to Toy Story Mania, ride it, then go to Rock 'n' Roller Coaster and pick up a FP for it. Then head over to Tower of Terror and wait in line, ride it. Your Rock 'n' Roller Coaster return time should be close at that time. If not, head over to Star Tours to ride or pick up another FP (if your FP wait time is ready by that time). Toy Story FPs will most likely be gone by 11am. If your goal is to only ride it once, be there when the park opens and mooooo with the crowd on over and ride it. Getting a FP for it instead of riding it will hurt your ability to maximize your FPs. For example, with so many people getting FP for Toy Story in the morning, you might have a return time of three hours, preventing you from getting another FP for two hours.

As for MK, it's pretty much up to you. One half of MK isn't opened until an hour after park opening, leaving Space Mountain and Peter Pan as the major attractions that use up FPs quickly. I would suggest going straight to Peter Pan, ride it, then head over to Space Mountain for a FP. Peter Pan's lines are usually longer than Space Mountain by far.

mechanic
06-06-2013, 06:19 PM
Yes. i was joking around.
set a priority for the rides you really want to dothat usually have long lines.
peter pan space mtn. splash mtn big thunder maybe ariel if you are a big fan. (imo not worth fp or long wait). astro orbitor ( also not fp worthy but line can be long. )
pick the one you want to do most and ride it first. then get fast pass for next choice. ride it right away if line is short and your return time isnt too soon. Then move on to next rides until your fp time comes up.
ds is still swamped for toy story mania so do that first then rockin rc or tower terror.
pick up new fps as right away. even if it only saves you 10-15 minutes , that can make a big difference at the end of the day.

Ms. Mode
06-07-2013, 09:23 AM
Yes what theHD said! We always head straight to Toy Story Mania when the park opens because they don't start taking FP riders for an hour and the line moves very quickly...even if you start outside. We do NOT stop to get a FP for this ride first because that line is longer than the ride line. Of course, this means that we only ride TSM once per day, but that's ok.

As far as MK goes, really none of the FP run out that quickly, but again we go straight to Space Mountain and can sometimes ride it twice before the crowd hits it.

Hope you have a good time, but be forewarned: something happens to a person when they enter WDW for the first time and then they just have to go back time and time again! I guess it's the "magic" in the air. :blush:

TheHD
06-07-2013, 11:07 AM
be forewarned: something happens to a person when they enter WDW for the first time and then they just have to go back time and time again! I guess it's the "magic" in the air. :blush:

That is so true. Five trips were enough to make our decision to buy DVC. We've been on other vacations as a family, but nothing compares to the fun, excitement, and quality of a DW vacation. :balloon:

MickeysBestPal
06-07-2013, 04:01 PM
As for MK, it's pretty much up to you.

1- One half of MK isn't opened until an hour after park opening,

2- leaving Space Mountain and Peter Pan as the major attractions that use up FPs quickly.

3- I would suggest going straight to Peter Pan, ride it, then head over to Space Mountain for a FP. Peter Pan's lines are usually longer than Space Mountain by far.

1- Sorry, but that is not the case.
Only Tom Sawyer Island, and maybe one or two less popular attractions will delay opening until an hour after the rest of the park opens.

You may be thinking of AM EMH at MK.
On those mornings, MK opens an hour before the posted opening time, and only for WDW resort guests who have Resort Key-cards.
On AM EMH days at MK, only Fantasyland and Tomorrowland attractions will be open for that first EMH hour.

2- Those are two popular attractions that use FP, yes, but so do many others.
The current "hottest ticket at Rope Drop" goes to Enchanted Tales with Belle, and there is currently no FP available for that attraction. Winnie the Pooh and Buzz Lightyear are also very popular attractions for which FP's are often advised.

3- Both are popular.
Peter Pan's line can certainly get long as the day progresses, but early in the morning Pan can be a "walk-on."
Space Mtn's. line will be pretty busy the entire day.

Big Thunder Mtn. & Splash Mtn. will have short lines during the first hour or two in the mornings. Their lines will grow as the day progresses and use of FP can be advisable there, too.

MargaretMessler
06-07-2013, 04:37 PM
MK
Aside from Peter Pan, several of the Fantasyland Rides can pile up lines quickly because they are such slow loaders. Depending on the weather, Splash Mountain can be a FP candidate too. Space Mountain too. I would say if you get in at rope drop, cruise through Fantasyland, grab a FP for one of "kiddie" rides then do Enchanted Tales. If those rides are not important, hit up your fave mountain first.

DHS
Definitely Toy Story Mania. If the park does not SEEM to be a crowded one that day, I would ride TSM once then pick up a FP and ride ToT and RnRC walk on. But that's just me. Especially if you don't mind splitting up your party, you can make use of the single rider line at RnRC.

masondoggy
06-07-2013, 05:23 PM
Yes what theHD said! We always head straight to Toy Story Mania when the park opens because they don't start taking FP riders for an hour and the line moves very quickly...even if you start outside. We do NOT stop to get a FP for this ride first because that line is longer than the ride line. Of course, this means that we only ride TSM once per day, but that's ok.

As far as MK goes, really none of the FP run out that quickly, but again we go straight to Space Mountain and can sometimes ride it twice before the crowd hits it.

Hope you have a good time, but be forewarned: something happens to a person when they enter WDW for the first time and then they just have to go back time and time again! I guess it's the "magic" in the air. :blush:

Lol, I'm fully expecting it. I'm planning a full week sometime next year. :D

Thanks for all the suggestions, it really helps!

TheHD
06-07-2013, 09:27 PM
You may be thinking of AM EMH at MK.
On those mornings, MK opens an hour before the posted opening time, and only for WDW resort guests who have Resort Key-cards.
On AM EMH days at MK, only Fantasyland and Tomorrowland attractions will be open for that first EMH hour.

Yes, I was assuming EMH, but you're right, the OP may not be using EMH. If that is the case, I suggest grabbing a FP for Space and then head over to Big Thunder and Splash Mountain.

The current "hottest ticket at Rope Drop" goes to Enchanted Tales with Belle, and there is currently no FP available for that attraction. Winnie the Pooh and Buzz Lightyear are also very popular attractions for which FP's are often advised.

The OP had mentioned big attractions; although fun, I wouldn't consider Pooh and Buzz to be "big attractions". I cannot comment on Belle.

thejens
06-08-2013, 12:57 AM
I purchased the Unauthorized Guide to WDW and followed their itineraries for years. Now I pay a small fee for their website guides. I loved reading through the guides, but now have been so many times I don't really need to buy a new one. If you don't follow a guide, get to park at opening, hit most desireable rides for you first or get the FP for them and you'll be good.

MK: Pooh, Peter Pan, Dumbo, Space MT, Thunder MT, Spash- if you get their early you can hit Fantasy Land rides w/o FP and use FP for mountains.

Studios: Hit Toy Story first after racing to get Fast Pass for TOT or RR

Epcot-I race to Soaring to ride and also get FP cause I love it so much, but many race for Test Track FP also.

AK- one person can rush to Yeti Mountain for FP while the rest head to Safaris. Then fast pass runner can catch up to Safari folks. Animals are supposedly more active in a.m. I like to get FP for Dinosaur and Lion King show.

Get to parks at opening, hit favorites first.