PDA

View Full Version : Best Disney Resort?

parrothed26
06-06-2013, 09:28 AM
We are planning a HUGE trip next year and have only ever stayed at All Stars. What is your favorite resort and why? Help us pick a new one!:number1:

disney obsessed
06-06-2013, 10:09 AM
AKL

It just speaks to my soul like no other.

mydisneygirls
06-06-2013, 10:11 AM
What level of resort are you looking for? We generally stay at deluxe resorts because I've gotten good deals. My absolute favorite is the Poly. Hawaiian feel (which I love), access to monorail, good slide at the pool for the kids, you can see the nightly fireworks and water parade, the rooms are larger than other resorts, O'Hana's...I just love it there. My second favorite is the Wilderness Lodge. The lobby itself is stunning, it's a quiet resort, boat transport to MK, rooms aren't as big as Poly but still a good size. The one thing I like better at the WL is the sinks are outside the bathroom and having 2 teenage girls, this is a big plus for me. Both of these resorts are a little smaller in size than say GF and the moderates and they are both kid friendly.

The only other place I've stayed is Port Orleans. I liked it but it's a big resort and I like the convenience of everything at the deluxe's. Good luck in deciding and wishing you a great trip.

PETE FROM NYC
06-06-2013, 10:13 AM
The best resort is the one I am at. Its all Disney.
Now the ones I would like to try are AKL, and Poly, but My DVC home is BLT which serves me very well.

MOJoe
06-06-2013, 10:14 AM
I love the theme at the Wilderness Lodge. But i love the Beach Club even more for its location, pool and vibe.

Yo Mickey!
06-06-2013, 10:15 AM
it depends.

what is your favorite park?
what age are your kids?
what do you like to do when at disney?

for my family, we always stayed at POR or POFQ and loved it. then...one day...my brother in law invites us to stay in a 2 br at bwv and we are now hooked on the epcot area. we own at bwv and plan to buy at bcv too. we love the pool at beach club, the short walk to world showcase, the boardwalk at night, etc. and really enjoy that area. we've also stayed at SSR (not bad at all), OKW (big rooms!), the poly (awesome) and would like to do BLT and VWL at some point too.

Melanie
06-06-2013, 10:18 AM
What are your families likes and dislikes? That will help narrow it down.

Do you enjoy a tropical getaway; an African safari; a Polynesian escape; a Victorian theme; a southwestern decor; the old South; a modern, sleek design; coastal New England style; northeastern Boardwalk; or larger than life Disney fun?

Or is a pool important to you? Or restaurants? Or location? Or price?

Everyone has favorites and I'm sure will be happy to suggest. If you narrow it down to a few, maybe folks can offer more relevant suggestions.

It's so fun choosing a resort! :mickey:

Mickey'sGirl
06-06-2013, 10:42 AM
Of the Value Resorts
Favourite: All Star Sports (Great quiet area and food court)
Least Favourite: Pop (Too Big and disliked the food court)

Of the Moderates:
Favourite: Port Orleans French Quarter (great quiet rooms, easy access to parking, small resort and easy to get around)
Least Favourite: Caribbean Beach (Too big, dislike checking in at the gate house before getting in to the main hotel, Crazy chaotic main pool)

Of the Deluxe:
Favourite: The BoardWalk (Great theme pool, easy access to Epcot and DHS on foot or by boat, lots of resort activities on the Boardwalk)
Least Favourite: Wilderness Lodge (Dark rooms, dislike the restaurants)

Just my opinions!

parrothed26
06-06-2013, 10:50 AM
Well the wife and I are 30's we have 3 kids 14, 6, and 2. The pool will be important, cost isn't(got a year and a half to plan) we're going in September 2014. The poly sounds great. But don't know too much about options like beach club, boardwalk etc. I want it to be the best trip ever for my kids.

caryrae
06-06-2013, 10:51 AM
We like Port Orleans French Quarter the best so far. It was nice and small so you are pretty close to everything, we really liked the New Orleans theme, and the boat ride to Downtown Disney is a nice relaxing ride. That said we really haven't had a bad stay at any of the Resorts we stayed at.

Dulcee
06-06-2013, 10:54 AM
Well the wife and I are 30's we have 3 kids 14, 6, and 2. The pool will be important, cost isn't(got a year and a half to plan) we're going in September 2014. The poly sounds great. But don't know too much about options like beach club, boardwalk etc. I want it to be the best trip ever for my kids.

Awww sounds like you've got some fun planning ahead of you!

If I was in your boat I'd go with Poly or the Beach or Yacht club.

The pools are great at both. Both sit right on a major water way and have boat transportation. The locations are both great for different reasons.

Poly - You have the monorail. Have your kids done WDW before? If not having the monorail at your doorstep could be huge. Plus with a 2 year old you'll likely have a stroller.

Beach or Yacht club - Walking distance to Epcot. If you plan on ending a lot of evenings there like we do being able to take a stroll home after dinner is lovely.

You can't go wrong with either in my opinion.

parrothed26
06-06-2013, 10:58 AM
I think I'm leaning for Poly. They still have the neverland club there? And yes all my kids have been. I've been 30+ times (I lost count) even honeymooned there :)

caryrae
06-06-2013, 11:01 AM
We had breakfast at Poly one morning and walked around a little bit and thought it looked very nice. If could ever afford to stay at a Deluxe that would be the first we would try.

Mickey'sGirl
06-06-2013, 11:03 AM
I think I'm leaning for Poly. They still have the neverland club there? And yes all my kids have been. I've been 30+ times (I lost count) even honeymooned there :)I love the Poly! I love floating in the Volcano pool and watching the fireworks from there! I love watching the monorails from my balcony! I love both Kona and 'Ohana! The Poly is a fabulous choice. :thumbsup:

parrothed26
06-06-2013, 12:57 PM
As a kid I always dreamed of staying in the Contemporary where the monorail went through but last year my boys and I walked around the tower and it seemed run down and overcrowded with spectators. So probably going with Poly. Thanks everyone for the input!

brianlw71
06-06-2013, 03:58 PM
Contemporary...Some of the largest rooms on property. Monorail runs through the resort and its a 10 minute walk to Magic Kingdom.:number1:

buzznwoodysmom
06-06-2013, 04:52 PM
Contemporary .......overcrowded with spectators. So probably going with Poly.

This is actually my one complaint about the Poly. It's often overrun with visitors and, as you put it "spectators". Sometimes when we do a "monorail tour" its amazing how chaotic the Poly seems, then stepping off at the Grand Flo is so peaceful by comparison. Don't get me wrong I love the Poly, but it seems like it's constantly overcrowded with people who aren't staying at the resort. We felt this way in the main building housing all the food locations, in the gift shops, at the pool, sometimes at the beach, and often even the monorail station seemed crowded. Walking around the resort, and being in our room, were both very peaceful and quiet, but the rest of the resort.....not so much.

When I first read you initial question my answer was going to depend on the time of year you were traveling. Around the holidays I'd say hands down Wilderness Lodge. In the warmer summer months (such as when you plan to be there in September) we would definitely go with the Poly or Beach Club/Yacht Club.

We couldn't decide between Poly and BC one year so we did a split stay and tried them both. We really loved them both on that trip, but I have to say the Poly had this feeling, this special magical feeling that I didn't get at the Beach Club. However, we've since stayed at the YC and that was one of our favorite resort stays. If your looking for a great pool then BC/YC is the one to pick. Of course location comes in to play as well. The Poly was great for MK, but you can't beat the location of the BC/YC. Its walking distance to two parks!

Good luck deciding which resort will work best for you, and have fun planning!

mechanic
06-06-2013, 06:50 PM
I think poly would be great. akl is very nice if you like the theme, we really enjoyed it. but which ever you pick wont be wrong.

Melanie
06-06-2013, 06:54 PM
OP - if the pool is important, I'd highly suggest Beach or Yacht Club. With your kids' ages, they'd have a blast at Stormalong Bay.

BigB
06-06-2013, 09:24 PM
Poly or Wilderness Lodge. They both have nice pools (WL also has a "secret" hot tub outside) Food is good at both but Poly has more travel options. You can take the boat or monorail to MK.

thejens
06-08-2013, 01:11 AM
Transportation is not as convenient as Poly or WL or BC, but I love AKL. The pool has the zero entry (so does Poly and BC) so 2 year old will do well. We loved the theming and seeing the animals and the relaxing, tranquil feel of pool. You can also walk or take bus to Kidani which has a really fun kid/splash park area.

It really depends on which theming you enjoy most. We bring our car, so the monorail was not necessary for us, but I will say it is great to roll your sleeping toddler into a monorail at night instead of peeling him out and putting him into car seat. Beach Club is great, but I got nervous about visibility of kids. I had to keep getting up to follow them which became tiring.

I love Poly for Monorail, pool and proximity/view of MK; AKL for animals and beauty; Contemporary for monorail, but not for pool; Beach Club for pool and proximity to Epcot and will soon try WL.

MississippiDisneyFreak
06-08-2013, 09:18 AM
We really haven't stayed at a Disney resort that we've disliked...having said that our least favorite was probably POP due to being able to hear every noise our neighbor made...other than that it was great too.

Our favorite value is All Star Movies

Moderates-We've stayed at Coronado Springs and really enjoyed this resort...would love to stay at POR one day

Deluxe-The only deluxe we've stayed at is Wilderness Lodge and it was very nice but we are planning on staying at the Beach Club for our next visit.

I just don't think you can go wrong with a Disney resort:)

Maggie T
06-08-2013, 02:19 PM
We have stayed at many different ones but our whole family now only stays in the GF. It is quiet with less kids, food is good, and its quick to the parks. Really feel at home.

RedSoxFan
06-09-2013, 07:56 AM
I love AKL. It's such a lovely and peaceful resort. Love sitting outside and watching the animals; esp the giraffes.
WL is another great resort and DH likes the boat to MK. We were going to stay there in November; but DH surprised me and said let's stay at the Poly. I'm so excited to stay here. I hope it's as great as you all have been saying. I've always wanted to stay here and love Kona Cafe for b'fast and dinner.

WDWgoofy
06-09-2013, 08:29 AM
I have stayed at all levels of resorts (7 different properties) and I have enjoyed each stay very much.

My favorites at each level:
Value - Pop Century
This is the place I stay on solo trips or just me and my wife. The rooms are smaller and the prices lower, which is perfect when your spending all your time at the parks

Moderate - Caribbean Beach
This is a really nice location with beautiful landscaping and larger rooms with two sinks, which is better for 4 people.

Deluxe - Animal Kingdom Lodge
A unique, memorable experience each time you stay. Immersive themeing, amazing views, extraordinary lobby.

My2Sons
06-14-2013, 11:11 PM
Beach Club, definitely. Fun for the little ones, but great for the older one, too! When my boys were little we LOVED the WL - now that they are older, we LOVE the Beach Club. It is so nice to walk to Epcot, walk to mini golf, boat to the Studios - I can't say enough good things about it!

big blue and hairy
06-15-2013, 05:16 PM
The best resort is the one I am at. Its all Disney.

My thought exactly. :D

:sulley:

#1donaldfan
06-17-2013, 02:02 PM
AKL !! It's the nicest resort on Disney property ! IMHO !! Your kids will LOVE waking up to animals right outside their balcony !! The pool is great, the theme is incredible, Boma serves up a great breakfast.....it's all around perfect !!

I'm gonna be there SOON .... 48 days !! :mickey:

Mousemates
06-17-2013, 03:01 PM
We've stayed at several resort and the only bad stay we ever had was at the Carribean beach (but that had to do with a leaking sprinkler line in the room). So chances are you will really enjoy wherever you choose to stay. But here are my faves.

All around favorite - WL...love the theming, the boat transportation to MK, the lobby is magnificent, the pool, and the food options (Roaring Fork is our favorite high end eatery).

Best once in a life place to stay- AKL (with a savannah view room)...it has all the pluses of the WL (in fact Boma is our favorite "eat till you drop" restaurant at WDW) with the added feature of watching a giraffe munch outside your window. Its an experience that just can''t be duplicated elsewhere.

Favorite Mod- Royal Princess Room at POR-to us this resort has the nicest overall grounds on Disney property and the boat ride to DTD is super relaxing.

Most laid back place to stay - the Cabins at Fort Wilderness...if you are not park commandos but like to take a day or two to kind of chill out, resort hop, or just sit by the pool...this is the place to do it. Tons of recreational options and the ability to save lots of money on food. Its nice to have a car to drive to the parks here (so you don't have to double wait on buses).

renecat
06-17-2013, 04:24 PM
If your kids like the pools Beach Club is a great resort. Also very kid friendly. We have stayed there but like the Yacht Club since we have no children. A little smaller and less busy.

azcavalier
06-18-2013, 08:12 AM
We also have three kids (16, 13, 8), and we have been multiple times with them. We used to stay at the value resorts, but once the littlest got too big for a crib/playpen, we started staying at Port Orleans Riverside. We love this place for many reasons...great pool, great food court, great theming.

That said, my wife and I have stayed (without kids) at Bay Lake, Wilderness Lodge, and Boardwalk. This August, we will be taking the kids back, but we're splurging and staying at the Beach Club. We decided to stay there because it will be hot,a nd what do kids want to do on vacation anyway? Be in the water! The Beach Club's pool is supposed to be almost like a water park...sand bottom, long waterslide with a great pirate ship theme, and even a small lazy river. Plus, we went ahead and added the Water Park option to our tickets, so we'll be hitting those up for the first time as well.

And to top it off, we're hitting Hilton Head on the way home.

So, it really does depend on your kids. If they like the water, I don't think you can go wrong with the Beach Club/Yacht Club. We do love the WL, and I love the pool area there as well. I've only eaten at AKL, but it's amazing. It and the Poly are on my short list of resorts to try.

WDWgoofy
06-23-2013, 09:48 AM
Obviously price is a major factor--

Pop Century is great for a small family

CBR is my favorite moderate. Well themed, nice room layout

If I have the money, AKL is my choice its is beautiful and the views from the rooms are unmatched

DisneyEpcotDad
06-25-2013, 06:13 PM
:mickey: Moderate Priced Resort: Caribbean Beach or Port Orleans Riverside based on the price, amenities, and the environment at the resort.

In the next higher priced range, Beach Club resort for it's closeness to Epcot and Hollywood Studios and the amenities along the Epcot Resort Area, Wilderness Lodge is a great environment for Christmas time.:mickey:

AndrewJackson
07-01-2013, 08:02 PM
All time favorite is Wilderness Lodge. I love the theme, and the boat ride to MK. It is less hectic than the other MK deluxe resorts since it is not on the monorail line.

2nd favorite is Port Orleans Riverside. I simply think the moderates are the best bang for the buck, and I love the feel.