PDA

View Full Version : Abandoned zones in disney

waymickey
06-05-2013, 10:01 AM
What are some areas of the Disney parks that you would love to see something happen other than let an abandoned building or area sit?

For me it is wonders of life pavilion, river country and sounds dangerous. These areas just sit and rot away and they are in prime real estate.
why not do something with it?

MickeysBestPal
06-05-2013, 10:32 AM
Epcot:
Odyssey Restaurant
Japan's ride building (ride planned, but never built)
Germany's ride building (ride planned, but never built)

retiredfigment
06-05-2013, 10:39 AM
Japan and Germany have an empty ride building? Were there rides actually there, or just plans that never came to be??

MickeysBestPal
06-05-2013, 10:40 AM
Japan and Germany have an empty ride building? Were there rides actually there, or just plans that never came to be??

They planned the rides (or at least planned FOR them,) but never built them.

DVC2004
06-05-2013, 10:46 AM
Odyssey in Epcot. Isn't there an area too near the side of the Castle, in MK, before you enter into the Tommorrowland HUB? I think they used to have the swan boats? I am pretty sure there is a quick serv restaurant but it seems like prime real estate to do something with. An please no more character meet and greet spots. Nothing wrong with those, just there are plenty already.

Dulcee
06-05-2013, 11:42 AM

Huh, I never knew that.

Tekneek
06-05-2013, 12:22 PM
Huh, I never knew that.

In the EPCOT Center books that Disney published in the early 80s, you can read about them and some other phase 2 things that never materialized.

joonyer
06-05-2013, 01:20 PM
Hey, give 'em time. After all, it's only taken them 20 years for them to do something significant with the space from "20K Leagues Under the Sea" after they closed that. :unsure: I'm not holding my breath.

Capt_redshirt
06-05-2013, 03:15 PM
I would love to get inside the adventures club at PI ... i was exactly 3 days late to be there on the last day ...

mcjaco
06-05-2013, 04:27 PM

Germany's building was really only half completed. It was to be another boat ride, except down the Rhine River. The Queue is where you go in to the Biergraden. As for Japan, I'm not even sure they have the building. It never made it past some blue sky stuff.

Odyssey in Epcot. Isn't there an area too near the side of the Castle, in MK, before you enter into the Tommorrowland HUB? I think they used to have the swan boats? I am pretty sure there is a quick serv restaurant but it seems like prime real estate to do something with. An please no more character meet and greet spots. Nothing wrong with those, just there are plenty already.

The Odyssey makes me sad. It was a great counter service stop before moving onto WS.

As for the Swan Boats, the stations for those are out by the castle. You can't miss them. Their just covered seating areas along the water way.

And the restaurant off to the right of the Tomorrowland entrance from the hub is pretty sad...although a good place to get some shade, and quiet.

As for other Phase II plans - Israel, Spain and Equatorial Africa were going to be added. The Refreshment Outpost is where the original Africa sign was.

Kaps
06-05-2013, 05:29 PM
For the new price at 100 bucks a ticket there shoudl be know areas sitting idle. As much as we love the place they are getting carried away from the entrance to the food. Now even parking went up. And please stop with the meet and greets I know there are young ones there but we skip entire sections of the park now because that is all they are. Sorry for the rant just hate seeing price increases and nothing for it.

mechanic
06-05-2013, 08:04 PM
I would feel better about it if the cm's were at least getting a raise.
But that is interesting about the swan boats. i never knew where they were.

MickeysBestPal
06-05-2013, 08:37 PM
1- Germany's building was really only half completed. It was to be another boat ride, except down the Rhine River. The Queue is where you go in to the Biergraden.

2- As for Japan, I'm not even sure they have the building. It never made it past some blue sky stuff.

1- Germany, from ABOVE (http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c265/RoboWDW/Silly%20Stuff/Epcot-Germany_ShowBldg.jpg).

2- Japan, from ABOVE (http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c265/RoboWDW/Silly%20Stuff/Epcot-USA-Japan-ShowBldg.jpg).

Main Street Jim
06-05-2013, 10:35 PM
Epcot:
Odyssey Restaurant
Japan's ride building (ride planned, but never built)
Germany's ride building (ride planned, but never built)

As for Japan, I'm not even sure they have the building. It never made it past some blue sky stuff.
I'm gonna agree with this. The Germany pavilion did indeed have a boat ride planned, but, Japan, I'm not so sure about. I have never heard anything about any ride, other than some "blue sky" (ideas) stuff thrown around - for instance, the big one I can remember was a Matterhorn-like bobsled type ride based on Mount Fuji, and sponsored by FujiFilm. However, since Kodak was the "official film and cameras of Walt Disney World", the idea was scrapped. I don't think a show building for the ride was ever built; but, I'm not sure what the building is at the back of the pavilion shown in the link above. I know at least the middle third of that building between the front (labeled as "restaurant/bar") and the larger, rear part, is part of the Mitsukoshi department store.

Isn't there an area too near the side of the Castle, in MK, before you enter into the Tommorrowland HUB? I think they used to have the swan boats? I am pretty sure there is a quick serv restaurant but it seems like prime real estate to do something with.

As for the Swan Boats, the stations for those are out by the castle. You can't miss them. Their just covered seating areas along the water way. Two totally different locations - sort of. The *original* Swan Boat dock was the Plaza Landing, down in front of the Plaza Restaurant just off of Main Street. It's just a seating/smoking area now. The Swan Boat loading/unloading dock then moved to the Rose Garden - the green covered "pavilion" down near the water, opposite Cosmic Ray's.

The "restaurant" in between Main Street and Tomorrowland - what is now known as Tomorrowland Terrace Noodle Station (or whatever they're calling it), had hot dogs and pizza for *years* during the park's first two and a half decades. The french fries there were *awesome*! Just wish they'd fix the menu (Asian "fusion" in Tomorrowland? Really?) and open it year-'round again.

As for the original topic:

How 'bout the Adventureland Veranda (just to the right of Aloha Isle and Dole whips)?

El Pirata y el Perrico - "The Pirate and the Parrot" - I *believe* is now Tortuga Tavern or something? When El Pirata *was* open, they had some *goooooood* taco salads.

The Davy Crockett canoes. These are still running at Disneyland; why not at Walt Disney World?

Speaking of the Rivers of America, there was really no reason to "put out the fire" on the burning cabin :/

Odyssey - I agree with y'all. When I last was in there, in about 2010, it was still *very* clean inside, and (for guests) was being used for Food/Wine and Flower/Garden. I *believe* the restrooms are still accessible (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

All of the Pleasure Island clubs. I really didn't understand the reasoning behind closing them all down and basically "rebuilding" the entire area. Seems like a LOT of money wasted twenty-five years ago when they opened :/

The Wonders of Life pavilion is in kind of the same "quandary" as the Odyssey. It *is* being used for the F/G and F/W, but still, there's *attractions* in that building that were *great*: "Where do you think you are, *DISNEY WORLD*?!" You also have Body Wars and Making of Me.

The "abandoned" Ft. Wilderness Railroad. You can actually still follow the rails into and through the woods - and maybe pick up a souvenir along the way :mickey:

River Country and the original Discovery Island (in Bay Lake, east of the Contemporary and north of Ft. Wilderness) both need to be cleaned up and either 1) something done with; or 2) just get rid of the two messes. They're just....*eyesores* now :(

MrPeetrie
06-05-2013, 10:53 PM
I remember a boat ride in Animal Kingdom, but I never got to ride it. I heard on a podcast somewhere there were lots of problems and it will never re-open.

How about a riverside restaurant there instead? Put it right on the water. Just "blue-skying" outside the box.

I miss Cranium Command. I would like to see it return, coupled with a revamped Body Wars similar to what they did at Star Tours 2.0.

What ever happened to the street in Hollywood Studios where they used to film the exterior of The Golden Girls' house? The Backlot Tour used to go down that street, but on our last trip (2012) it didn't. Is that gone? Or just shut off?

Is anything in the location where Hunchback of Notre Dame used to be performed? That was a good show.

azcavalier
06-05-2013, 11:07 PM
I remember a boat ride in Animal Kingdom, but I never got to ride it. I heard on a podcast somewhere there were lots of problems and it will never re-open.

How about a riverside restaurant there instead? Put it right on the water. Just "blue-skying" outside the box.

Like the swan boats in the MK, you can see the landings for these in various places. For a while, some of them were used as meet 'n' greets.

What ever happened to the street in Hollywood Studios where they used to film the exterior of The Golden Girls' house? The Backlot Tour used to go down that street, but on our last trip (2012) it didn't. Is that gone? Or just shut off?
They're completely gone. They got rid of it when they developed the area for Lights, Motor, Action.

I know that there is already a saturation of Disney Resorts, but I wouldn't mind seeing them build something that's NOT DVC on the monorail line around the lake. There were three other hotels planned, I believe, but the only theme I can remember is "Venetian". That land looks abandoned. I guess you could say that it's "natural" or "undeveloped wetland".

I never went to River Country, but looking at it on Google Earth makes me sad. Not sure what they should do with it, though, as they have the water parks. I also find Discovery Island fascinating, but i'm not sure what you could do with that, either.

I know that Journey into Imagination still inhabits the building, but I would love to see the exit revamped, and reopen the floor above it with exhibits/attractions.

MickeysBestPal
06-05-2013, 11:11 PM
- Japan, I'm not so sure about. I have never heard anything about any ride, other than some "blue sky" (ideas) stuff thrown around...
I don't think a show building for the ride was ever built; but, I'm not sure what the building is at the back of the pavilion shown in the link above. I know at least the middle third of that building between the front (labeled as "restaurant/bar") and the larger, rear part, is part of the Mitsukoshi department store.

Today, the Japan Pavilion castle houses a Kidcot station, a museum, and a portion of the Mitsukoshi Department store, but that wasn’t the original idea for this structure. Early plans called for the castle to be an entryway into an attraction to be titled “The Winds of Change” and later changed to “Meet the World.” Consideration was so positive that the show building to house the attraction was built behind the shopping area we now enjoy.

“Meet the World” was a four-act show in the spirit of “Carousel of Progress.” However, the arrangement of the stages and seating area would be reversed. For “Meet the World,” the audience would sit in the middle of the building on a rotating turntable and face outwards toward stationary stages. This is just the opposite of “Carousel of Progress” which has the audience sitting on the outside looking in. Although the seating area would be smaller for “Meet the World,” the stages would be larger with this reversed arrangement, adding more flexibility for the presentations.

I don't know the accuracy, personally, but that's my source.

mechanic
06-06-2013, 04:28 AM
Can anyone elaborate more regarding fort wilderness railroad? never heard about that before.

tiggerbuddy
06-06-2013, 06:32 AM
I totally agree !! :thumbsup:

For the new price at 100 bucks a ticket there shoudl be know areas sitting idle. As much as we love the place they are getting carried away from the entrance to the food. Now even parking went up. And please stop with the meet and greets I know there are young ones there but we skip entire sections of the park now because that is all they are. Sorry for the rant just hate seeing price increases and nothing for it.

MickeysBestPal
06-06-2013, 08:49 AM
Can anyone elaborate more regarding fort wilderness railroad? never heard about that before.

HERE (http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/07/all-aboard-fort-wilderness-railroad-for-a-trip-down-memory-lane-at-walt-disney-world/) ya go.

mcjaco
06-06-2013, 10:54 AM
1- Germany, from ABOVE (http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c265/RoboWDW/Silly%20Stuff/Epcot-Germany_ShowBldg.jpg).

2- Japan, from ABOVE (http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c265/RoboWDW/Silly%20Stuff/Epcot-USA-Japan-ShowBldg.jpg).

There's been arguments over the validity of those photos. I'd agree that the Germany building is pretty good sized, but there are other plans that have shown the little grassy areas with the trailers was also to be part of the ride structure. I had a friend that worked the Germany pavillion for a few years (he's German), and he said that whole building is nothing but storage space for F&W kiosks now. I'd gather the same for the Japan building as well.

ransam
06-06-2013, 10:55 AM
for me it be the stitch ride. well it's an abandoned area to me.

mcjaco
06-06-2013, 11:10 AM
I'm gonna agree with this. The Germany pavilion did indeed have a boat ride planned, but, Japan, I'm not so sure about. I have never heard anything about any ride, other than some "blue sky" (ideas) stuff thrown around - for instance, the big one I can remember was a Matterhorn-like bobsled type ride based on Mount Fuji, and sponsored by FujiFilm. However, since Kodak was the "official film and cameras of Walt Disney World", the idea was scrapped. I don't think a show building for the ride was ever built; but, I'm not sure what the building is at the back of the pavilion shown in the link above. I know at least the middle third of that building between the front (labeled as "restaurant/bar") and the larger, rear part, is part of the Mitsukoshi department store.

This seems to be the argreed upon blue sky story from lots of people. Whether or not it's true....it's still good story telling!

Two totally different locations - sort of. The *original* Swan Boat dock was the Plaza Landing, down in front of the Plaza Restaurant just off of Main Street. It's just a seating/smoking area now. The Swan Boat loading/unloading dock then moved to the Rose Garden - the green covered "pavilion" down near the water, opposite Cosmic Ray's.

Thanks for clarifying. I'm not up on my Swam Boat history. I always thought they should bring those back. A simple relaxing ride in the hub is cool.

El Pirata y el Perrico - "The Pirate and the Parrot" - I *believe* is now Tortuga Tavern or something? When El Pirata *was* open, they had some *goooooood* taco salads.

My Mom still raves about those taco salads!

Odyssey - I agree with y'all. When I last was in there, in about 2010, it was still *very* clean inside, and (for guests) was being used for Food/Wine and Flower/Garden. I *believe* the restrooms are still accessible (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

The bathrooms are accessible. And they're very often empty as most people don't know they're open or there. A great way to get around the main path to WS, and head right to the Mexico Pavillion.

MickeysBestPal
06-06-2013, 11:51 AM
There's been arguments over the validity of those photos.

I'd agree that the Germany building is pretty good sized, but there are other plans that have shown the little grassy areas with the trailers was also to be part of the ride structure. I had a friend that worked the Germany pavillion for a few years (he's German), and he said that whole building is nothing but storage space for F&W kiosks now. I'd gather the same for the Japan building as well.

"Validity" of the photos?
Maybe you mean validity of the rough outlines drawn on them. I just indicated to which buildings, in general, I am referring.
Exactly what sections of them were or were not designated for "rides" are not specific.

Regardless, yes, what these large cavernous buildings are NOW used for is some storage and some rehearsal hall and/or "green room" space that performers (contract players, CM's and visiting bands, etc.) can utilize.

mcjaco
06-06-2013, 12:01 PM
"Validity" of the photos?
Maybe you mean validity of the rough outlines drawn on them. I just indicated to which buildings, in general, I am referring.
Exactly what sections of them were or were not designated for "rides" are not specific.

Regardless, yes, what these large cavernous buildings are NOW used for is some storage and some rehearsal hall and/or "green room" space that performers (contract players, CM's and visiting bands, etc.) can utilize.

Yes, I meant validity of the outlines.

No need to get uppity. It's all good.

bruin1344
06-06-2013, 01:04 PM
skyway to tommorowland/fantasyland are 2 abandoned areas

parrothed26
06-06-2013, 01:07 PM
Kungaloosh! I would rather see The Adventurers Club return than anything. It would break my heart to see something else pop up in that spot.

Capt_redshirt
06-06-2013, 01:10 PM
Kungaloosh! I would rather see The Adventurers Club return than anything. It would break my heart to see something else pop up in that spot.

It was sad to see it closed in 09 it was even sadder to see the lettering removed when i was there in 11

mcjaco
06-06-2013, 01:45 PM
I know there's a very serious group of AC fans out there, but I never understood the love.

I went in there once, and just didn't feel the vibe. Then again, I pretty much felt that way about Pleasure Island as a whole. And that was back in my going out clubbin' days. I'd safely wager that if a Disney fanboy like me felt that way, an even better portion of the GP did too.

I'd like Horizons back, but that ain't happening. Best to wait for the next thing to capture your imagination. :D

DVC2004
06-06-2013, 03:02 PM
I know that there is already a saturation of Disney Resorts, but I wouldn't mind seeing them build something that's NOT DVC on the monorail line around the lake. There were three other hotels planned, I believe, but the only theme I can remember is "Venetian". That land looks abandoned. I guess you could say that it's "natural" or "undeveloped wetland".

Agree- but DVC is such a money maker for Disney I don't think this will happen. They make a whole lotta profit so that is why they keep developing DVC resorts as opposed to regular hotel rooms.

Main Street Jim
06-06-2013, 03:52 PM
skyway to tommorowland/fantasyland are 2 abandoned areasNot any more.

The Fantasyland area was recently refurbished into Rapunzel, and at the Tomorrowland load/unload building, the top floor (storage, load/unload area) was removed. The lower floor once contained a small souvenir shop (Ursa Major Minor Mart, I believe), and there's still restrooms there in that building (between CoP and Space Mountain).

The upper level of Imagination is *still* there - everything is still up there, just "turned off".

As for the Ft. Wilderness Railroad, it was full of problems from the get-go in 1973 when it opened. The tracks were all laid by hand, hence, they were "out of gauge" in some places, and the locomotives often derailed - out in the "middle of nowhere". It would take sometimes *hours* to get Maintenance out there to unload the guests that were on the trains, walk them out to a bus stop, and get the train back onto the tracks. You also had "engineers" who were really just ride operators - kids, really - who had no idea<s> how to keep water in a steam locomotive. They would often run out of water, again, out on the line somewheres, and have to be rescued. Reason they'd run out of water, was because the "engineers" would forget to fill the tender on *every trip* around the campground - they only held 200 gallons (vs 1,836 gallons for the park's trains). Finally, the "last trip" for the FWRR was, allegedly, in 1977, after many guest complaints of train whistles waking them up way too early in the mornings. However, after the trains stopped running, they ran parking-lot trams through the campground - which, it would seem, are just as noisy.

Going back to the 1977 closing, some Cast Members as well as guests have debated that date for quite some time. You used to have to actually purchase a ticket to use the railroad, proving you were staying at the campground. Some old tickets have appeared on eBay and other auction sites dated as late as 1982.

mechanic
06-06-2013, 04:54 PM
Thanks jim. great post.. as always

jillluvsdisney
06-06-2013, 06:37 PM
Tomorrow Land Terrace. The last fews years, it's been open, closed, menu changed. Nothing has been consistent. It's a huge waste of space to have a continuous operation going on there. It would be nice to have a CS option other than Casey's that was close to Main Street.

Bass T-bone
06-08-2013, 12:14 AM
I know it's not in a park, but how about Discovery Island in Bay Lake?

MickeysBestPal
06-08-2013, 12:40 AM
I know it's not in a park, but how about Discovery Island in Bay Lake?

When WDW first opened, it was known as "Treasure Island."
There was some thought, early on, of making it a pirate-themed destination.
They even placed the rotting hulk of an old wooden shipwreck on the beach (which is still there, today.)

Later, they developed the island as wildlife and bird sanctuary/exhibit for guests, renamed "Discovery Island."

Then, after they built DAK and moved many of the birds and some animals to that park (and even used the name, "Discovery Island" as the central section of the new theme park,) that Bay Lake island is now just sitting there, unloved.

It might be fun to rewaken the original name and idea of a "Treasure Island" attraction of some kind there on that location.