PDA

View Full Version : GFV Fixed Week Price

VWL Mom
06-03-2013, 11:30 AM
I just read this and had to share. It seems 2 Grand Villas with the fixed week option for were sold for Christmas time (week 52). That would be 1,395 points at $145 per point or $202,275 per contract with maintenance fees of about $7,500 per year.

Holy moly :eek:

faline
06-03-2013, 11:52 AM
Guess some folks want to be sure they can spend Christmas at Disney!!

DVC2004
06-03-2013, 12:09 PM
Wow. Crazy!

Disney4us2
06-03-2013, 12:13 PM
Holy cow....too rich for me. I wouldn't want to be locked into a time frame.

wildernesslady
06-03-2013, 04:07 PM
First, that's crazy. Second, I didn't know you could buy a fixed week.

VWL Mom
06-03-2013, 04:31 PM
First, that's crazy. Second, I didn't know you could buy a fixed week.

They are selling 35% of VGF as fixed weeks. You pay a 10% markup but for the life of the contract that week in those accommodations are yours. They do this at Aulani too.

VWL Mom
06-03-2013, 04:34 PM

Marci, not only that but it's Sunday to Sunday and dates move depending on the year. In the case of those 2 that bought week 52 for Christmas, there will be times that Christmas will fall in week 51.

TinkerbellT421
06-03-2013, 04:57 PM
Eek!! :sick:

Maleficent's Dad
06-03-2013, 06:39 PM
From DVC News:

buyers have total flexibility to cancel their Guaranteed Week every year and convert it to points which can be used just like any other DVC points. Really the GW owners have just as much flexibility as traditional points owners--with the added benefit of their locked-in Guaranteed Week if they wish to use it.

Now the buyers are paying a premium (10% up-charge) for the fixed week. I personally enjoy the flexibility that DVC affords us.

The problem is that DVC is now selling the fixed week option - at their 2 newest resorts. See a trend? The "flexibility" that they've always bragged about can be combined with a new guarantee to get what you want - as long as you're willing to pay (more than the already over-inflated prices).

This also lessens the chances for those without the "guaranteed week" to snag a prime locale. Even those who have home resort privileges will suffer - imagine calling your first day out (11 months) and being told that there are no 1BR theme park views available for your week... Not completely realistic, but definitely a possibility.

DizneyRox
06-03-2013, 08:02 PM
Goes to show you the profitability of DVC. Two units sell for close to a half million dollars for ONE week. And the dues will probably cover 1/2 the salary of the person cleaning those units.

DVC's way overinflated price wise, $145 pp is highway robbery if you ask me.

DizneyFreak2002
06-03-2013, 10:29 PM
Proves there are suckers born every minute...

NewmanFamily6
06-04-2013, 04:26 PM
Allow me to just stroke that check:crazy: It definitely only brings in a particular tax bracket that will be staying at the resort that week.....

DVC2004
06-04-2013, 04:51 PM
Goes to show you the profitability of DVC. Two units sell for close to a half million dollars for ONE week. And the dues will probably cover 1/2 the salary of the person cleaning those units.

DVC's way overinflated price wise, $145 pp is highway robbery if you ask me.

It's all profit. DVC makes the big $$$.

TinkerbellT421
06-04-2013, 05:40 PM
So to ask a silly question, are they only able to use that fixed week at gfv? Or can they use that same fixed week at any resort even though they own through gfv?

VWL Mom
06-04-2013, 05:42 PM
So to ask a silly question, are they only able to use that fixed week at gfv? Or can they use that same fixed week at any resort even though they own through gfv?

They can choose to use the fixed week only at VGF or give up the week in advance and book like regular members at 11/7 months.

TinkerbellT421
06-04-2013, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the info! I was going to be really peeved if someone bought a fixed week through gfv and then use that week at say beach club instead! Lol

dlpmikki
06-06-2013, 05:57 AM
Gosh, so glad I am not buying in now. prices are just horrendous!

BrerGnat
06-06-2013, 08:26 AM
I am going to assume that these contracts are being shared among several family members. It kind of makes sense. It's a good way to ensure everyone spends Christmas together every year, without the hassle of the logisitcs of whose house which year, etc.

I can see a group of siblings pooling their money so they and their families can all stay in a grand villa every year. Or even a family. Mom and Dad and kids splitting the cost.

Pirate Granny
06-08-2013, 01:36 PM
That was my thought...although I don't have that kind of cash...and one DD who can't take that week off :confused:

DVC Mike
06-08-2013, 07:51 PM
I added on 180 points at VGF but didn't choose the guaranteed week as I don't need it.

Aurora
06-22-2013, 11:48 AM
I am going to assume that these contracts are being shared among several family members. It kind of makes sense. It's a good way to ensure everyone spends Christmas together every year, without the hassle of the logisitcs of whose house which year, etc.

I can see a group of siblings pooling their money so they and their families can all stay in a grand villa every year. Or even a family. Mom and Dad and kids splitting the cost.

I can also see someone doing this and renting out the points every year without Disney doing a thing.

I know money makes the world go around, but I really hate the idea of DVC taking 35 percent of the inventory out of commission for people who "want what they want." It doesn't surprise me, but I still don't like that richer people get to reduce my chances for a particular week in the same room.

Maybe DVC should just start putting up rooms for auction. :shake:

I think I wouldn't mind quite as much if the most popular weeks -- Christmas, 4th of July, Easter, were excluded from fixed weeks. Of course, not as many people would be interested in buying a fixed week then.

Mrs Bus Driver
06-23-2013, 09:47 AM
Money talks and you know the rest. I will soon be new to DVC and all I can say is thank goodness I only want to vacation during the value seasons. But I do agree with others that this is changing the concept of DVC, it is not fair for those who bought in believing they had the same chance as everyone else to get certain dates. This is certainly giving me something to consider before my purchase. :confused:

VWL Mom
06-23-2013, 10:03 AM
But I do agree with others that this is changing the concept of DVC, it is not fair for those who bought in believing they had the same chance as everyone else to get certain dates. This is certainly giving me something to consider before my purchase. :confused:

While I agree this is changing the concept of DVC going forward, I really don't think it has a great impact on current owners. GFV buyers were aware of the options when they purchased so no one is really being blindsided and they would be most effected IMO..

I wouldn't let this second guess your purchase. So, you may not get into GFV but look at all the other wonderful resorts you can enjoy!

Aurora
06-25-2013, 11:25 AM
I assumed while reading these posts that fixed-week owners are paying 10% more money for their points, but according to other sources, that seems not to be the case. It's that they are required to purchase 10% more points for the fixed week.

For example, a current DVC owner who wanted to stay at GFV during the first week of November would use 125 points. But fixed-week owners would be required to purchase the equivalent of 138 points for the same week. Then, if in a particular year they choose not to stay during that week, they would receive 138 points to use as they wish during their use year, with the same restrictions as everyone else.

If this is true, I don't know what the ramifications are for the total number of points available at the resort. Maybe someone with more knowledge of how it works can explain.

Aurora
06-25-2013, 11:44 AM
I wouldn't let this second guess your purchase. So, you may not get into GFV but look at all the other wonderful resorts you can enjoy!

If the trend continues, it won't matter as much for larger resorts like Aulani, because there will be plenty of inventory even if all of the fixed weeks are sold.

It WILL matter greatly if future resorts are small additions like the Grand Floridian, such as, if rumors come to fruition, a DVC addition to the Polynesian.

It's very hard to get into a small DVC resort such as the Wilderness Lodge now if it's not your home resort. Building small DVC resorts will have the double whammy of making a fixed-week option more attractive, and consequently making it nearly impossible for non-home-resort DVC owners to stay there.

While there are still many fine resorts to use as a current DVC member, this is a valid concern for people considering buying into 50 years of DVC.

Middle of the Map
10-19-2013, 08:38 PM
It appears to me that a DVC member is only renting the timeshare and not actually buying it. At the end of the contract period, you don't "own" anything.

DizneyFreak2002
11-14-2013, 10:59 PM
Grand Floridian sales aren't going so well... Just sayin...

VWL Mom
11-15-2013, 04:14 PM
Grand Floridian sales aren't going so well... Just sayin...

I think they shot themselves in the foot by announcing Poly DVC so closed to the opening of VGF. There's a lot of chatter about people that would prefer to own at Poly and decided to wait.

DizneyFreak2002
11-16-2013, 06:59 PM
I think they shot themselves in the foot by announcing Poly DVC so closed to the opening of VGF. There's a lot of chatter about people that would prefer to own at Poly and decided to wait.
Or they over valued the Grand Floridian... and now, they are shooting themselves in the foot by reducing the amount of DVC rooms at Poly... if they went ahead with the larger Poly plan, they would have been so much better off...

Ahhh Disney management, is there anyone with functioning brain cells?????

Yo Mickey!
11-17-2013, 08:03 PM
back to the week 52 fixed reservation. first of all, good for them being able to do it. 2nd of all...i couldn't imagine paying that kind of scratch to deal with those crowds. we stay at bcv the week of the college football awards every year (this year we are staying dec 7-15)...almost nobody around, great weather, no lines...and it is all decorated for the holidays.

i don't begrudge anyone spending their money how they see fit. but those crowds would send me over the edge.