PDA

View Full Version : Is this what I was searching for in my life?

ckaranassos
06-02-2013, 07:30 PM
Long story short: I lost my job last year and have been feeling kind of lost. I'm very fortunate that my salary is not needed to "live on" but certainly is missed for our disney trips, ice hockey and swim team payments. I have been a teacher in public schools for 14 years and more recently taught and helped run a nursery school. Now, I feel like I'm not ready to get back to teaching, especially full time. We also were the proud owners of 2 Siberian huskies- until 4/23/13 when our pretty girl had to be put down. My other husky boy is so lost without her. He's younger and grew up with her. Now the long story short- we went to a rescue husky house today to look at a possible addition to our family. Well, we found two. Of course, we find two 5 month old brothers who were abandoned around the time our girl passed. Now, we have a big decision. Could this be the thing I've been looking for to fill my days. :confused: financially its doable and we would be rescuing two baby boys and I sure would be busy. I guess I have some thinking to do. Thanks for letting me think this out in writing :mickey:

AllDisney
06-02-2013, 08:41 PM
I am an animal lover.

If this is what you want then go for it. The boys would just love a good home and sounds like you have a good home to offer them:thumbsup:

VWL Mom
06-02-2013, 08:55 PM
Playing devil's advocate here but keep in mind that 2 bring twice the vet bills, license fees, food, etc.
If you can handle that, and if you don't think your current pup will object, I say go for it.

stephicakes
06-03-2013, 06:03 AM
If you can afford it and your heart tells you that you should, then go for it! We rescued a second dog in September and can't imagine life without him now! It's double the work, but worth it in so many ways. The only thing that we really had to consider is who would care for both dogs while we were away since we love to travel. Thank goodness for grandparents who love their "grand-dogs"! :)

Good luck with your decision!!

DVC2004
06-03-2013, 12:12 PM
If you can afford it I would! Adopting a pet is fantastic. We adopted our guy about six weeks after our kitty passed. He has been part of our family for almost a year and half now and we all love him so much. He has been really great for all of us and got us through such a hard time with the loss of our other one. He did end up having some health issues we weren't told about, and it did cost us over $1000 in vet bills in addition to a monthly presecription diet cost but we were able to handle it.

Dulcee
06-03-2013, 01:16 PM
I was on here a few months ago talking about going from a 1 dog to a 2 dog household.

A "lets just pop into the shelter to window shop" turned into our second dog that we lovingly call the beast.

We really do love him but $700 and counting that we've spent on vet bills for him in the past 5 months combined with our pet food bill going from $75 to $200 a month has stung a bit, even though we expected it. He's still all puppy and while our older dog loves him it can get a bit much for her, it can also be a bit overwhelming at times for our cat.

All that being said I love him to death and he's very much a permanent family member now.

You already know the craziness of having two dogs at home. When we visit family and end up with 3 or upwards of 5 in the same house I can honestly say it doesn't seem any crazier then just my 2.

The only thing in your case that I'd consider is your going from a female - male dog household (really the best situation for peace and companionship between two dogs) to the less desirable of male-male relationships. Its not as rough as female-female homes but you could be in for more dominance issues then you had before. You sound like an experienced dog owner so it may not scare you, but it something to think on.

Good luck, I know just how hard it is when those needy, homeless eyes tug on your heartstrings.

ckaranassos
06-03-2013, 01:45 PM
Thank you for all your replies. And Dulcee I love the nickname Beast. We always called our sweet girl "Beastie". Believe it or not we have been a 3 dog family before. Just not with two pups at once. We have arranged several meet and greets with our Nikko boy and " the dynamic duo" as my son has labeled them. My sad boy is my top priority. We have agreed nothing happens if he's not comfortable. But, reality is huskies are pack dogs- they typically believe the more the merrier. My kids are older and are able to help out or so they tell me. LOL I totally get the surprise vet bills. My beastie girl was diagnosed with diabetes 2 years befor she passed. So, I became quite good with giving insulin shots. We have never rescued before and the thought of doing so is wonderful. And, you're right it's bad enough having 2 eyes staring at you- 4 eyes were amazing! I will keep you posted:thumbsup:

Jeri Lynn
06-04-2013, 10:03 AM
Thank you for considering rescuing these two boys. I hope that the meet and greets go well and in the end you will know if it is right for you! :thumbsup:

DisneyDog
06-05-2013, 05:34 PM
Having a new dog can bring amazing life into your home. We lost our two Corgis exactly one year apart. We got a cat, who is wonderful, but it's not quite the same as a dog. We adopted our Poodle/Bichon mix and she pretty much saved my life. I was crying on a daily basis, missing my Corgi boys so desperately. Muffin gets me up out of bed every morning for her walk, keeps me from coming home and vegging out all night because she needs to be walked after work. And she is a major cuddler! She makes me smile...and then a few years later we got her a Pekingese as a present.:blush: More than one dog can definitely be a blessing. The two dogs play together constantly. They are always by each other's side and were bonded pretty much immediately. The Peke isn't a cuddler, so there is no jealousy issues.

If the fit is right, it can be the best thing in the world and bring sunshine back into your life.

emerzmom
06-06-2013, 02:26 PM
I agree with VWL Mom: you have to consider all the additional expenses that a dog (or any pet) can bring. I have 4 dogs and know it is taking on a lot of responsibility but I love them so very much.
Best of luck!
:tink:
Julie