PDA

View Full Version : Car parking price increase

BigG007
06-02-2013, 06:31 AM
Disney has announced it's increasing its car parking price to $15 per car

This slightly angers me that we have to pay in the first place. We pay enough for park entry tickets and still extra money is being squeezed out of us.

Sorry for the rant, just a little upset

greengeen
06-02-2013, 07:14 AM
Parking is free if you stay onsite (which it appears you do). Or you could go to Universal instead, where parking is $15.

Main Street Jim
06-02-2013, 08:45 AM
This is the first increase in parking prices in quite some time. It remained at $14 for quite a few years.

That's a pretty decent price considering most major entertainment or sports events charge about twice that for just a few hours of parking.

And, yes, if you stay *on property*, you don't pay for parking anyways.

Dulcee
06-02-2013, 08:49 AM
This is one price increase that doesn't phase me. Other small theme parks often charge upwards of $25-30, and jack that price for special events.

Plus we stay on property...

caryrae
06-02-2013, 09:17 AM
Yeah, it costs $12 to park at Valley Fair in MN, which is not even close to the same league as Disney Parks.

What's really sad is the cost of just a hot dog at Casey's, $9-$10 and they're not anything to right home about either.

MickeysBestPal
06-02-2013, 09:19 AM
And, yes, if you stay *on property*, you don't pay for parking anyways.

It's also free for AP holders.

Tekneek
06-02-2013, 09:42 AM
The comparison to sporting events is not really applicable, IMO. There are usually intermediaries involved in those deals. Disney owns, operates, and manages every aspect of the parking lots. They own it, are the local government, directly employ everyone working at it, etc. Big difference between what you'd see around sports arenas, even the "official arena lots" are managed by third party companies and regulations/rules are often established by local governments. Disney doesn't have to deal with any of that.

Reedy Creek Buccaneer
06-02-2013, 10:10 AM
I think $15 is crazy, but you have to remember they do transport you from the car to the gate, by bus, monorail or tram. So I just figure in the cost of that, and try not to complain too much.

BigG007
06-02-2013, 12:04 PM
I don't always stay on property, I can appreciate there is an upkeep cost.

It's just a shame they don't offer a car parking pass when purchasing your park hopper, it's not easy changing a travellers cheque to park on my first day of the vacation

gerald72
06-02-2013, 06:03 PM
People still use traveler's checks?
The widespread acceptance of credit cards and debit cards around the world starting in the 1980s significantly replaced the use of travelers cheques for paying for things on vacation.

eandrsmom
06-02-2013, 06:50 PM
I too am one of the few people who still use travelers checks. We don't use them for everything, mostly spending money for souvenirs, but it helps me not to overspend on our trips. A swipe of the debit card here and there adds up quickly.

Terra
06-02-2013, 07:19 PM
We went over to Magic Kingdom today for a few hours and I noticed it too. We have APs so I don't pay, but I agree on one hand it IS expensive, but totally see the other side about upkeep as well.

Funny enough my best friend and I were chatting today and wondering what WDW makes in a day/week/month on parking. It would be interesting to know.
And I noted that generally people are either staying on property or have APs. I would think that there are more people who don't pay, then pay statistically, but I could be wrong.

And man, come on. I LOVE Casey's Corner dogs!!!! ;)

SandmanGStefani24
06-02-2013, 08:25 PM
What's really sad is the cost of just a hot dog at Casey's, $9-$10 and they're not anything to right home about either.

just read it was $3.29 online. Did I miss something? And I always thought they were great, and ok to WRITE home about :D

As for the parking, I do believe it is a bit of a gouge, but again as I stay on property I dodge this one.

caryrae
06-02-2013, 08:41 PM
just read it was $3.29 online. Did I miss something? And I always thought they were great, and ok to WRITE home about :D

As for the parking, I do believe it is a bit of a gouge, but again as I stay on property I dodge this one.

I was looking at the my Disney experience app and the menu for Casey's only shows 4 different hot dogs, nothing for $3.29, so maybe they have other ones not on the menu. I had one last year and didn't think it was that great, it was ok but nothing great.

SandmanGStefani24
06-02-2013, 09:37 PM
I was looking at the my Disney experience app and the menu for Casey's only shows 4 different hot dogs, nothing for $3.29, so maybe they have other ones not on the menu. I had one last year and didn't think it was that great, it was ok but nothing great.

INTERCOT > Info Central > Menus > Casey's Corner

Casey's Corner

Magic Kingdom- Counter Service

Grand Slam All Beef 1/4 lb. Hot Dog - $3.59
Great American All Beef Hot Dog - $3.29
French Fries - $1.79
Brownie - $1.79

Soft Drinks and Iced Tea - $1.99 - $2.29
Orange Juice - $1.49
Milk - $.99
Hot Tea - $1.59
Coffee
Regular or Decaffeinated - $1.59 - $1.79

Casey's Baseball Mug
With your choice of soft drink - $3.99

Cut from right here...does intercot need to update? Hope not, bc the dogs were pretty reasonable for a theme park...

caryrae
06-02-2013, 09:46 PM
Yeah it's pretty outdated. Just like the parking has gone up the menu prices have changed quite a bit. Looking at the milk at $.99 shows how old it is, now for a milk at Casey's it cost, $2.39, almost as much as a gallon of milk. Looking at food and drink prices almost makes the parking a bargin.

SandmanGStefani24
06-02-2013, 09:56 PM
:(

Yeah looked elsewhere and saw the prices. That's pretty ridiculous...shame, I loved eating there...

JRocker
06-03-2013, 09:57 AM
I tend to agree with the OP. Yes, I stay on property and don't have to pay for parking, but paying to park at a theme park has always annoyed me.

Don't try to sell me the argument that it is for "upkeep". When was the last time you paid to park at Walmart? Sears? Lowes? They have parking lots also.

If your charging us for the use of trams, etc. Then sell us tickets for the use of those. I rarely use either at DHS and EPCOT.

It was one of those fees someone tried years ago and found out people would pay for it. The rest of the industry followed along and now it is accepted as the norm.

gueli
06-04-2013, 12:14 AM
It is and always will be about the bottom line.

$$$ for parking...

but at least if you are an ap,holder, or staying on site it doesn't cost you. It is Disney's way of saying you will pay more if you do not stay here.

I do not look at it as upkeep.
It is profit margin.
:thumbsup:

Tekneek
06-04-2013, 05:20 AM
Disney's rooms tend to cost more than their off-site equal, so it's all baked in to some degree.

DonaldDuckUSA
06-04-2013, 09:08 AM
This is why when we bought our FL Res passes, we kept one at seasonal and then upgraded another one to annual pass without blackouts and FREE parking.

We've done the math and we save money in the long run, but more importantly, I was just tired of shelling out $15 at the start of each day. When you're working on an EXTREMELY tight budget, it was so demoralizing to pay $30 bucks for a Saturday and Sunday weekend trip.

indytraveler
06-04-2013, 10:49 AM
$15 to park is a little high, but it's part of the big picture.
Where we go to WDW with smiles on our faces and they get in your wallet from the time you step foot on property till the time you step off. You smile the whole time while not really knowing how much money you're spending. Until the bill comes for the credit card etc. Then you rant, get over it and go again the next year.
Yes, I don't like it either and that's why you can stay on property or stay at hotels nearby with complimentary shuttle service. Or pay the $15 and come and go as you please.

Dulcee
06-04-2013, 11:17 AM
1 day parking at six flags NJ $22
1 day parking at carowinds NC $10
1 day parking seaworld TX $15
1 day parking hersheypark PA $12
1 day parking legoland CA $15

Honestly, WDW is right on par with other major theme parks in this area. They ALL charge for parking

Tekneek
06-04-2013, 11:55 AM
I think that is a bit of a false marketplace, but it is a better comparison. I think Disney is uniquely qualified, with Walt Disney World, to not play the game the same way everybody else does. None of those other entities own as much land and get to be the local government at the same time.

barnaby
06-04-2013, 12:29 PM
I think that is a bit of a false marketplace, but it is a better comparison. I think Disney is uniquely qualified, with Walt Disney World, to not play the game the same way everybody else does. None of those other entities own as much land and get to be the local government at the same time.

True, you make a good point.
However, there are still costs involved in staffing, maintenance, insurance, etc at WDW lots just as there are other theme parks.

gauvin4
06-05-2013, 10:21 AM
We were just at SeaWorld & Busch Gardens a few weeks ago and parking was $15.00 per park. I am not surprised that WDW increased the price if the other parks are getting that amount.

ThanxForNoticin
06-05-2013, 12:58 PM
I always assumed the parking fees at WDW helped offset the cost of snow removal....!!

joonyer
06-05-2013, 01:13 PM
Profit baby, profit. I wouldn't be surprised to see the parking fees raised again, to help drive more guests toward staying in WDW resorts. That's where WDW makes the most money. Theme park ticket prices are also geared toward convincing guests to buy multi-day passes, all intended to get more guests to stay at WDW resorts for longer vacations. The longer your stay, the more $$$ you spend.