PDA

View Full Version : OKW vs. SSR

dixielandings
05-30-2013, 06:25 PM
I don't know why I'm waffling on this - we are coming in November for 6-night stay and currently have OKW 1-BR booked. We really BWV again but alas, nothing was available ANYWHERE but these 2 properties. Thanks to F&W, I guess...

Anyway, we've never stayed at OKW and I read mixed reviews from LOVED IT to NEVER AGAIN...I know it's the oldest DVC and members who own there seem to love it. I am torn between the familiarity of SSR and our strong desire to try a new place when we can.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Basic info about us, if that helps:

Family of 3 - mom, dad, 3yo girl
Seasoned Guests
Fave trips have been - BWV, VWL, and BLT (but mostly for the location and the view of the lake that we had!)
We also love: Poly and POR

THANKS!

faline
05-30-2013, 06:33 PM
A couple of years ago, we booked a 2-bedroom at Old Key West. We were traveling with my brother and his family and really wanted to stay to Boardwalk or the Beach Club so were a bit disappointed that we could only get availability at Old Key West. It worked out perfectly (and having stayed at Beach Club since), I think it was a better choice, overall. We had tons of room which meant lots of privacy for both families and the then 2-year-old in our party had lots of play area.

Last year, we stayed at Saratoga Springs for the first time and greatly enjoyed our stay. We would definitely stay at this resort again but would probably pick Old Key West first.

Becca3557
05-31-2013, 08:20 PM
OKW is my home resort. :mickey: The units are very spacious, which I think is a huge plus. It is a quiet, laid-back resort, quite different than the BWV, which always seems to be buzzing with activity. The rooms were recently renovated.

The one-bedroom unit is a very nice size with a huge bathroom and Jacuzzi. Having a washer/dryer in the unit is very convenient too. If you have a car you can park it right outside your unit.

There are 5 bus stops and also an internal bus. It is possible to walk around the resort, but it is quite large, so the internal bus can come in handy. There is also watercraft service to DTD, a nice perk. Olivia's is the main restaurant, serving all three meals. I highly recommend it, especially for breakfast.

There is a main pool and 3 smaller pools. Each pool area has a hot tub.

The staff here is great!

NewmanFamily6
06-03-2013, 05:18 PM
We own at SSR but don't like it and stay there as a last resort. Love OKW though and have stayed multiple times there. Just like the scenery and feeling better at OKW and I like Olivia's there. SSR has very limited food choices in my opinion. Also, the rooms are larger at OKW.:thumbsup:

dixielandings
06-06-2013, 08:59 AM
Thanks for your responses. I feel better!

We plan to use more of this trip for relaxing by the pool and other non-Park activities so we want to make sure we have picked the right place for that!