PDA

View Full Version : Bus "beeping"

Mendelson
05-29-2013, 07:57 AM
I'll drop this in "Accommodations,"I guess, since it mostly impacts people staying on property.

I don't mind the bus system so much and haven't had terribly bad experiences. But I so, so wish that that infernal, shrieking, magic-vanquishing, soul-crushing, theme-busting, ear-destroying, "BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP" that the buses make when they kneel could be eliminated (probably not practical since it's allegedly a safety feature) or at the very least muted!

It's bad enough when you're at your resort on a pleasant morning, ready and eager to go the park - it's really, really bad when you're at the depot and four of them pull in at once and are doing this all around you. This beeping was the single most unpleasant thing we experienced during our stay. And I understand kneeling for someone infirm or what-have-you, but if a hale and hearty 43-yo woman is carrying a backpack toward the bus (occurred with my wife), you don't have to lower that step 18 inches for her!

BrerGnat
05-29-2013, 08:50 AM
I totally agree with this. But, I think they HAVE to "kneel" the bus, no matter what. A simple "beep, beep, beep" would do. I don't understand the multi speed, multi frequency beepbeepbeepbeepbeep that the buses seem to deploy. It is very loud. And, thanks for the reminder about this! We are traveling this summer with a son who has very sensitive hearing. I will remember to cover his ears when the buses come to a stop.

Polynesian Dweller
05-29-2013, 09:25 AM
Not just a safety feature but a legal requirement in most jurisdictions, just like a vehicle backing up. It alerts people to stay clear because the vehicle is kneeling. They will not get rid of it or mute it. Better than someone being injured.

The beeping, including backup beeping, is supposed to increase in frequency to alert the operator that the vehicle is nearing the ground (kneeling) or a wall or obstruction (backing up). Again safety and for a good reason. The frequency is supposed to increase the closer the bus gets to the object. Those features are built in by the manufacturers so that's not going away either.

Mendelson
05-29-2013, 11:14 AM
Understood, but I've been on many bus systems that don't do this.

Goofy4TheWorld
05-29-2013, 11:54 AM
As weird as it sounds, the bus beeping noise is one of those "Disney sounds" for me. Since public transit is a novelty to me, I enjoy the buses, and just like when you see "PURPLE SIGNS" on the drive in, I know I am at Disney when I hear the bus-beep ensemble lined up to take me to my park for the day (of course the busses that are lined up are always for every park except the one I want, but that's just life at Disney:mickey:).

#1donaldfan
05-29-2013, 02:08 PM
I'm with ya goofy4theworld.....that sound is just one of those tucked away in my brain as a sign that I am at Disney headed to or from a park !! The most annoying sounds I hear at Disney are the parents of a child who is upset and they telling the child to shut up, I've spent tons of money on this and you'll like it.....or goodbye see you next trip !! :mickey:

MrPeetrie
05-30-2013, 06:46 AM
As weird as it sounds, the bus beeping noise is one of those "Disney sounds" for me.

Us, too. Every night, I have to tell my DS3 a Disney story at bedtime. It's always a mind-trip to
Animal Kingdom. And it always includes the bus depot.

Dado: "And the first bus says..."
DS3: "Hollywood Studios."
Dado: "Awww that's not our bus. But another bus pulls up and the next bus says..."
Dado: "Awww that's not our bus. But another bus pulls up and the next bus says..."
Dado: "Wow! Three in a row. But that's not our bus. But another bus pulls up. And that bus says..."
DS3: "Animal Kingdom."
Dado: "And that's our bus."

Then I have to make the air-pressure-release sound and the safety beeps so we can get on. We do this every single night!

I wouldn't change our bedtime routine for anything.

Mendelson
05-30-2013, 07:56 AM
Wow...one man's torture is another's pleasure! Okay, I don't want to deny some of you the associative properties the bus screeching has.

Speaking of, for our recent WDW/cruise trip we bought "tropical" scented shampoo and body soap and sunblock that we put away when we got home, to be used sporadically throughout the year when we want to catch a big whiff and be taken back to our vacation.

Yesterday I opened an old backpack that had gone on our trip and the musty, not-particularly-pleasant smell of the backpack hit me...and it immediately took me to Castaway Cay! Not what I'd been planning!

mydisneygirls
05-30-2013, 09:15 AM
They should change the beeping to Mickey saying "Please back away from the bus for a few moments so none of you Mousekateers get hurt."

Mendelson
05-30-2013, 10:03 AM
They should change the beeping to Mickey saying "Please back away from the bus for a few moments so none of you Mousekateers get hurt."

Yes!

Or, failing that, get rid of the sound altogether and for those who still want the experience, for a low per-day rate (plus park admissions) I'll follow you around on your vacation and when a bus pulls in at your stop I'll stand right behind your family and shriek loudly in your ear.

Mendelson
05-30-2013, 10:06 AM
This is amazingly adorable, and you've managed to work in some of the inefficiencies of the bus system at the same time!

Us, too. Every night, I have to tell my DS3 a Disney story at bedtime. It's always a mind-trip to
Animal Kingdom. And it always includes the bus depot.

Dado: "And the first bus says..."
Dado: "Wow! Three in a row. But that's not our bus. But another bus pulls up. And that bus says..."
DS3: "Animal Kingdom."
Dado: "And that's our bus."

Then I have to make the air-pressure-release sound and the safety beeps so we can get on. We do this every single night!

I wouldn't change our bedtime routine for anything.

Figment104
05-30-2013, 12:32 PM
On previous trips, it never really bothered me, and I never really took notice of the sound as it was just part of what was going on around me. This trip however, with DS, boy did I wish it was not quite so loud. I realize why they need it, just wish it wasn't quite so ear splitting for those with little sensitive ears. It's not like you can really move away from it in most cases. We found ourselves covering DS ears many times.

DVC2004
05-30-2013, 04:27 PM
I don't like it but at the same time I don't really think about it. I hate waiting for the buses more than the noise. So we rent a car. :D