PDA

View Full Version : Best advice for keeping legs/feet/back from aching?

PrincessJadesMom
05-28-2013, 01:23 PM
I absolutely love the Disney parks, but my feet/leg/back get very sore very quickly. We have a WDW trip coming up in October and I could use any advice you have for not being in pain while walking through the parks. We went to the Detroit Zoo this past weekend and I was reminded of how quickly my body starts aching. :(

Strmchsr
05-28-2013, 01:52 PM
Have you thought of using an ECV part time? We got one to help my mom out as she isn't able to walk all day. So she rides it going in between places. When we're ready to ride something she just parks it and goes through the line. It has helped her a lot to be able to manage multiple days of walking. The only other options are get good inserts, like gel, for your shoes and take lots of breaks.

Itchy
05-28-2013, 01:54 PM
I absolutely love the Disney parks, but my feet/leg/back get very sore very quickly. We have a WDW trip coming up in October and I could use any advice you have for not being in pain while walking through the parks. We went to the Detroit Zoo this past weekend and I was reminded of how quickly my body starts aching. :(

I have had the same issues in the past and I started to walk a little every evening to get myself in condition. Going to WDW is like a walking marathon.

I have back issues so I will take an asprin or similar before and during the day and it helps a lot as well.

Hope this helps...:mickey:

BuddyL4
05-28-2013, 02:08 PM
Good shoes/sneakers is were I would start. And break them in before the trip :thumbsup:

CU Tiger
05-28-2013, 02:12 PM
I found changing to a high quality running shoe really helped my back. Rest before you get tired and stay hydrated. Drinking more water seems to help as well. :mickey:

caryrae
05-28-2013, 02:20 PM
Has anybody tried those Dr. Scholl's Custom Fit Orthotics they have at Walmart where you stand on their machine then it gives you a number of the Orthotic you should use and there suppose to relieve feet, leg, and back pain. They are a little pricey, like $50 but if they work it may be worth it.

PopPhan
05-28-2013, 02:39 PM
I don't know what your monetary situation is, but I would sincerely recommend professionally fit custom orthotics. Dr. Scholl's might work for you, but to have your feet measured and fit perfectly makes a world of difference.

I have acute "dual curve" scoliosis and have one leg shorter than the other (actually, the curvature has one hip almost 3/4" below the other)....I had lower back pain and numbness in my left leg for years. Combine chiropractic care and professionally fitted orthotics, and I am now mostly pain free. I can walk all day at WDW and feel no ill effects. Heck, I even play golf every Wednesday evening and walk the course!!! (Three ibuprophen before bed and I am good to go the next morning! LOL)

dnickels
05-28-2013, 03:44 PM
If it's an orthopedic issue like weird arches or something along those lines then getting custom fit orthotics would be a good way to go.

If it's general out-of-shape/overweight issues causing the pain then the only thing to do is to lose weight to take some of the load off those joints and make walking a regular activity so you're not trying to go from nothing to walking 7+ miles a day while on vacation.

For an otherwise healthy and active person, a day at the parks might result in a little soreness but shouldn't be anything major so if it's real bad you should find the cause and see what can be done to treat it.

Kenny1113
05-28-2013, 07:16 PM
Good shoes/sneakers is were I would start. And break them in before the trip :thumbsup:

I have had the same issues in the past and I started to walk a little every evening to get myself in condition. Going to WDW is like a walking marathon.

I have back issues so I will take an asprin or similar before and during the day and it helps a lot as well.

Hope this helps...:mickey:
:ditto:

kakn7294
05-29-2013, 12:39 AM
In addition to the good shoes and orthotics, consider talking to your doctor about taking a glucosamine - condroiton combination. They are available over-the-counter but if you take any other medications on a regular basis, it's always best to be sure that they won't interfere with each other. I've been taking it for quite some time now and when I skip a few days (as I'm known to do) I really feel it!

BrerGnat
05-29-2013, 08:09 AM
Walking often is the best way to alleviate this. I would recommend (before jumping to conclusions about needing orthotics), starting a walking program daily to build up your endurance and walking muscles. If you are not used to walking daily, you will get achy early. Practice good posture and walk a little more each day up to your trip.

TinkerbellT421
05-29-2013, 08:13 AM
Among what others have said I will also add, do NOT ride Space Mountain. Holy molly the number that thing does on my back...

Mickey'sGirl
05-29-2013, 10:31 AM
Among what others have said I will also add, do NOT ride Space Mountain. Holy molly the number that thing does on my back...Or THunder Mountain! :D

Mrs Bus Driver
05-29-2013, 01:12 PM
Just want to add take a break. Find some place at the parks or your resort sit down, put your feet up. Know your limits and don't push it. Taking walks and getting shoes is a good idea. Even seeing the doctor to make sure you don't have any issues you need to deal with. No one likes to be in pain and it will only take away from your fun. So take care of yourself and relax when your at Disney. Take time to stop and smell the roses. :mickey:

#1donaldfan
05-29-2013, 01:52 PM
Start walking now to build some stamina and endurance. No matter how much you spend on shoes, EVC's, or any item of support, the best way to avoid pain in your body is to make sure it is first fit, then add on the shoes and possible suppliments......!! :cool:

EJS-Houston
05-29-2013, 03:58 PM
If it's an orthopedic issue like weird arches or something along those lines then getting custom fit orthotics would be a good way to go.

If it's general out-of-shape/overweight issues causing the pain then the only thing to do is to lose weight to take some of the load off those joints and make walking a regular activity so you're not trying to go from nothing to walking 7+ miles a day while on vacation.

For an otherwise healthy and active person, a day at the parks might result in a little soreness but shouldn't be anything major so if it's real bad you should find the cause and see what can be done to treat it.

I think this is the best advice of all. The truth is, when it comes to anything substantial, the quick fix just won't cut it. It takes time, commitment and often work to make substantial change. In this case, if you don't have an exercise regimen, I highly recommend finding a trainer to work with you on your mobility/physical health...and most importantly, make sure you find a trainer who's also a licensed physical therapist. I did this two years ago and it's turned my life around quite literally (I'm 53, by the way). I fully expect to see my trainer/therapist weekly for the rest of my life because it allows me to be as physically active as I want/need to be...and because on those occasions when something hurts, my trainer can ditch the workout and spend the hour treating whatever's ailing me, then sending me away with stretching exercizes and icing instructions to further deal with the problem. Since I've started working with him, my Disney vacations are completely pain- and fatigue-free.

MississippiDisneyFreak
05-30-2013, 09:48 AM
Good quality shoes, inserts, and ibuprofen have helped me tremendously. I also have a back condition and the doctor prescribes me muscle relaxers. I find if I take one before bedtime and again in the morning it helps a lot. Also, like others have said rent a scooter. I think it costed us around $100 to rent one for the week last trip and my mom loved it. Apple is a good company to use if you are interested.

WDWgoofy
05-30-2013, 08:50 PM
I in my late 50s and have all the aches and pains.

My advice is stay at home on the couch or go to WDW and take pain killers

texas211
05-31-2013, 07:50 AM
Has anybody tried those Dr. Scholl's Custom Fit Orthotics they have at Walmart where you stand on their machine then it gives you a number of the Orthotic you should use and there suppose to relieve feet, leg, and back pain. They are a little pricey, like $50 but if they work it may be worth it.

I have and they are great. I even got my father turned onto them. They are a must for a wdw trip. So are brand new soft socks. I also try and buy new shoes two months before the trip.

dixielandings
05-31-2013, 10:17 AM
SHOES SHOES SHOES! Don't skimp on these.

Stretch your body frequently.

Prepare ahead of time - like PPs have said, one can't go from sedentary to walking all day long without some consequence. Start walking now, even a little bit, and work up.

Hydrate! Water and fruit help replace stuff that your body loses that can cause cramps.

Pace yourself well. Sit a lot. Save larger inside attractions for the warmer part of the day - Universe of Energy, Hall of Presidents, etc.

And yes, it can't be overstated - if there's spare weight to lose, that will go light years toward making this trip more enjoyable!

caryrae
05-31-2013, 10:26 AM
I know I like to take breaks every so often at the Parks to give my body a break, either watch a show or just sit somewhere and people watch. It's crazy to think how long we are on our feet on a Disney trip, not just walking but all the time standing in lines. We also like to break up our trip and not do a Park everyday. We like to have a day or 2 where we can just relax and not have to do anything.

EJS-Houston
05-31-2013, 03:00 PM
I know I like to take breaks every so often at the Parks to give my body a break, either watch a show or just sit somewhere and people watch. It's crazy to think how long we are on our feet on a Disney trip, not just walking but all the time standing in lines. We also like to break up our trip and not do a Park everyday. We like to have a day or 2 where we can just relax and not have to do anything.

At my first trip to the podiatrist some 5 years ago, she told me there are two travel destinations that are far and away the most brutal on the feet. The first is New York City, and not surpisingly the second is Walt Disney World. Stretching and insoles can go a long way toward alleviating aches and pains, not just in your feet but legs, knees, back, etc....

TinyDancer
06-01-2013, 10:44 AM
A lot of it too is besides doing so much walking, its all on pavement which is very unforgiving. After doing marching band for a number of years and marching on pavement from 8am-10pm, even good shoes don't always cut it completely. I'd suggest, as others have, to start walking now to get ready and I always take Aleve/pain medication of choice at a low dose around the clock and preemptively before I feel the pain. If your shins hurt (shin splints), every time you're sitting down and think about it, cross your legs and trace the alphabet lower case and upper case twice through in the air with your toe. Sounds silly, but really helps!!!

MNNHFLTX
06-01-2013, 11:51 AM
IMO, if you don't have any underlying health issues, the best preparation is to start walk, walk, walking now. :) That and an OTC anti-inflammatory (with food) if you still get sore.

SandmanGStefani24
06-01-2013, 12:54 PM
one thing i did once, was about two weeks before going, i took a few laps around the job parking lot during my lunch break. Not running, just a steady brisk walk as if I was trying to get somewhere, or say, as I would at WDW. Getting my body used to walking a bit more made the long days at WDW easier. I would guess pixie dust helped w the rest. :D

Seriously though, you couldn't imagine what a minor thing like a little quick walk every day will do for you...

allgiggles
06-06-2013, 05:14 PM
After several trips to DW and trying several different things to help with aches and pains in my feet, knees, and lower back here's what works for me.

1. I have at least 2 pair of good running or cross-training shoes that are broken in before we go to DW. (I mostly wear this type of shoes all year round). I make sure they are two different brands/styles so that they each have a slightly different fit. I don't wear the same pair of shoes two days in a row. That way I'm not putting pressure on the exact same spots in my feet every day. I also take a good pair of Ecco or Teva sandals to wear around the resort in the evenings but I never wear them to the parks -- not enough support in them to keep my feet and back happy with the amount of walking we do in the parks.

2. I try to take a break and do something that allows me to be off my feet for at least 15 minutes every 2 hours or so. A show, a long ride (Ellen's Energy Adventure comes to mind), or a leisurely meal usually do the trick.

3. Every night at DW, before going to bed I massage my feet with peppermint foot lotion and then roll a tennis ball under each foot for a few minutes -- it really helps to stretch out the muscles in my feet. (I put the tennis ball on the floor and place my foot on top of it. I put a little bit of pressure on the tennis ball with my foot and start to roll the ball around a little bit. Kind of like a primitive massager. :D).

4. I take Aleve around the clock from the day we arrive -- before we even get to the resort. It's much easier to prevent the aches and pains from starting than to get rid of them.

Hope you find something that works for you!

Keneva
06-06-2013, 08:01 PM
I'm in my 50's. I found out that I must walk around the neighborhood to build up my endurance prior to going to Disney, Since I don't normally go for walks, the first couple of trips around the block are tough but after that, I quickly get into Disney shape. Light walking shoes help. No flip flops or sandles for me. :walk:

kakn7294
06-06-2013, 10:53 PM
A bit of advice to all Ibuprofen users out there (and I am one) - it can actually be counterproductive to take it for sore and achy feet as it can cause swelling in the legs and feet. It doesn't always but if you are experiencing these problems in addition to pain, it could be the ibuprofen.

VWL Mom
06-07-2013, 05:59 AM

I have this knee/ankle,calf thing going on in my right leg which causes extreme pain in my right leg only when walking. Aerobics and classes I take at the Y don't bother it but something about walking on pavement flares it right up. After having Xrays/MRI's and ruling out just about everything I bought a pair of the Fit Orthotics. They seem to be working. First thing in a while that I've gotten comfort from.

AvonleaCF
06-07-2013, 10:01 AM
Also try replacing caffeinated beverage and sugary drinks with plain water (not water with added Crystal Light packets). Caffeine is a diuretic, which causes you to pee a lot, which then causes dehydration, which makes muscles ache. Same with all the chemicals in diet soda and Crystal Light. Plain old water, and lots of it, will help your joints.

That, plus building up to walking long distance and at least two pairs of really good walking shoes that you already broke in (I prefer one pair of sneakers and one pair of athletic sandals that have support and alternating). Stay away from flip-flops and sneakers with no support like Converse. Also making sure your shoes fit properly and your socks are thick.

DisneyDawgette
06-08-2013, 08:38 AM
Lots of water, lots of shows, good shoes! They've all named them, I think!

We went to Six Flags the other day and I was SO sore by the end of it! I kept asking DBF how I can go and go at WDW and never get tired, but one day at Six Flags and I felt like I was 80! It wasn't until he pointed it out that I realized how often we do shows, indoor rides, and long rides. These things give you a nice break, so use them frequently to ease your joints! :)

mickeys_princess_mom
06-11-2013, 10:22 PM
I second the alternating shoes thing--works for me. Good running shoes are what I use. I also loove the Disney footlets (below ankle socks), and usually buy new ones when I get there! They're so thick and soft--the best! And they last forever! I wear them all the time at home, too!
:wave:

merciantinkerbell
06-12-2013, 08:11 AM
Any ideas for lower backache? I wore comfy shoes on our trip last year and walk to and from work - approx. 20 mins - 6 days a week but lower back and thighs killing me from slightly bent over position pushing hubby in wheelchair. First time using chair too so new experience for both of us. Painful for about 2 weeks after I got back too!! Completely unrelated - how do I do a new thread?? Can't seem to find a button to click to start new thread. I know - I'm computer illiterate.:confused: many thanks

Mrs Bus Driver
06-12-2013, 09:11 AM
Any ideas for lower backache? I wore comfy shoes on our trip last year and walk to and from work - approx. 20 mins - 6 days a week but lower back and thighs killing me from slightly bent over position pushing hubby in wheelchair. First time using chair too so new experience for both of us. Painful for about 2 weeks after I got back too!! Completely unrelated - how do I do a new thread?? Can't seem to find a button to click to start new thread. I know - I'm computer illiterate.:confused: many thanks
For your aching back, can you DH pilot a scooter? There are several places that will deliver to your hotel that way he can have it for the whole trip. Also try the "Guests with special needs" form you should find a lot of information there. Also use the search engine at top of page to look for information and related threads.
How to start a new thread. Go to the form where you want to post it. Then look near the top right above the names of the threads. You should see a button that says new topic. Click on it. Its pretty simple after that, be sure to give you topic a title. Enter your questions/comments then click the submit button near the bottom. :mickey: Have fun

mom2morgan
06-12-2013, 02:09 PM
You know, I'd also consider the ECV option. our trip in September ended up so miserable for me that I didn't really enjoy the last few days, and after getting home realized how much I had missed. In my case it was all because of my weight, so I was too embarassed to rent a scooter (and I'm not afraid to say that, now that I'm down 50 pounds!) but MAN I wish I'd done it differently. My back and legs were fine, but I got such incredible blisters that it took my feet a couple weeks back home before I could walk properly.

merciantinkerbell
06-12-2013, 02:30 PM
Thanks Mrs Bus Driver for new post help. Feel so silly:blush: As to Hubby, he's not wheelchair bound but suffers badly with fibromyalgia amongst other things and can't walk more than a few feet at a time. It took me a long time to get him to hire a chair at Universal during our second week in 2010 because he doesn't like to be seen as disabled. However he did the see the benefit - mostly less pain for him and less stress for me - to buy his own chair for last years trip, and that made it much more enjoyable for us both. He would NOT rent a scooter

CuteAsMinnie
06-12-2013, 11:51 PM
Among what others have said I will also add, do NOT ride Space Mountain. Holy molly the number that thing does on my back...

And shoulders too!