PDA

View Full Version : Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary

thads
05-28-2013, 12:34 AM
I was unable to get the BOG reservation that I was hoping for so I decided to trade up our dinner at the MK for Chef Mickey's at the contemporary resort. I have never been here before. I know it is a character buffet, so my expectation is that the food will be buffet quality. That said, can anyone let me know if this is a great choice, fair choice or big mistake? Thanks...

BuddyL4
05-28-2013, 12:44 AM
Our friends and family enjoyed It. It is a buffet but we all found things we like, no picky eaters in the group. The characters were very interactive with our group that ranged in age from 14 to 59. At one point the mouse himself came over and sat next to me as we were finishing up :mickey: Our next trip in August we have an adr for dinner again. Looking forward to the grandson's reaction.

Itchy
05-28-2013, 09:42 AM
I was unable to get the BOG reservation that I was hoping for so I decided to trade up our dinner at the MK for Chef Mickey's at the contemporary resort. I have never been here before. I know it is a character buffet, so my expectation is that the food will be buffet quality. That said, can anyone let me know if this is a great choice, fair choice or big mistake? Thanks...

I don't know that it a mistake. If you have young kids or young at heart you will have fun as there is always something going on.

The food is strictly buffet fare, but plenty of it.

At a minimum it is worth one try.

I have been there quite a few times with my kids and grand kids, but just for me I will not do it again. There a lot of other places I would rather eat at.

Hope this helps...:mickey:

Ms. Mode
05-28-2013, 10:40 AM
The buffet at Chef Mickey's is the BEST in WDW! Chef Mickey's was our first buffet dinner and it really spoiled us; we have since eaten at several different buffets and been terribly disappointed! A friend of ours put it like this,"Chef Mickey's is a buffet on steriods!" It's just the best! :thumbsup:

mydisneygirls
05-28-2013, 11:27 AM
We've eat at CM's many times. This past year, we thought the food wasn't as good as previous years but we still enjoyed it. We think the best buffet meal is at the 1900 Park Fare and the characters are much better also....but that's just my opinion.

Strmchsr
05-28-2013, 11:49 AM
The food is so-so. Not bad by any means, but doesn't blow me away either. I think it's better at breakfast. But it is a great experience and I'm sure you'll have lots of fun.

Zippy 1
05-28-2013, 11:56 AM
We have been there on each of our trips and had breakfast and dinner. I will agree that the breakfast buffet was the better of the two. Dinner isn't bad. I don't have picky eaters so we do well. We go mainly for the fun!

minnie-mouse
05-30-2013, 08:08 AM
It is great for the atmosphere and the characters are wonderful. I thought there were many choices for pickey eaters but did not think the quality of the food was worth the hefty price. It was just ok. Overall, I say you have to do it once, it is a lot of fun!

ANG
05-30-2013, 08:21 AM
It's a must do each trip for this family!

WDWCrazyKaren
05-30-2013, 08:49 AM
It's a family tradition! We love it, even though are kids are mostly adults, we still do it. The food is very standard buffet fare, but there are a lot of choices! We go for the atmosphere, the fun...it's pure Disneyfied chaos. Try it at least once.

snowflakegirl
05-30-2013, 02:03 PM
We love Chef Mickey's. The food is pretty standard buffet fare, but we enjoy it. And the parmesean mashed potatoes are a favorite of mine. Mostlyl it's just a fun character interaction. I like to kick my trips off with a dinner at Chef Mickey's on arrival night.

Last trip it was just myself and DH and the characters were absolutely fantastic with us. Goofy doted on me (I may have let out a small squeal of excitement when he came to our table, he's a favorite), pulling me up out of my seat and getting down on one knee and kissing my hand before posing with me for a picture. The he pulled DH up off his seat and posed with him. Mickey pulled me up and took a picture with me and then pulled DH up and took a picture with him and then took the camera away from me and gave it to a CM and posed with both of us, which I never would have thought of doing. It was great.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
05-31-2013, 05:10 PM
You are trading a sit down table service for a buffet style dinner. You don't state whether or not the character interaction is important in your decision or not.

Personally, with CM, its one and done for me. Even with 3 kids I doubt I'd do it again. Food was average at best and character interaction is pretty hectic (we thought).

I much preferred the buffet (hands down) over at the GF 1900 Park Fare and the characters there were great.

Its obviously personal preference, but I in no way understand when I read reviews that its the best buffet in the parks. Not even close for me.

FLKatie912
06-01-2013, 12:13 AM

IMHO, I skip Chef Mickey's. I think it's very chaotic, rushed, and tends to be overbooked making it crowded. It's not worth the extra money for me. I highly recommend all of the other character dining experiences!

lawgirl
06-02-2013, 12:57 PM
We ate at CMs last month, and enjoyed it. The setting it pretty cool, as I have always love the CR. The service was pretty good, much better than I was expecting based on other reviews. Our waiter was attentive, although rushed, he was nice. The food was not too bad, again much better than I had expected based on reviews. I thought there was a decent selection for everyone, and the dessert tower was delightful! I thought the character interaction was really good. They came through several times, and didn't feel rushed at all. I think its a good choice, but don't go in expecting the food is going to be super high quality or the decor to be fancy. In fact, it almost felt a little like a mall food court as far as atmosphere. But we still enjoyed it. Overall, I liked everything I ate, but wasn't blown away. I would go back.