PDA

View Full Version : Tower of Terror

Disney-Nut
05-27-2013, 05:39 PM
I'm totally afraid of heights but really want to do this ride. How long does it usually take from first drop to the last drop? Would it be easier to do the ride at night or day? Any easy way of getting my self psyched into doing this?

Strmchsr
05-27-2013, 06:18 PM
How long it takes depends. The ride has a randomizer program and you can experience anywhere from 3-6 drops. It'll be different every ride.

:spoiler:
One thing that might help you is to realize you're not actually being dropped. The "elevator" you're riding in moves into a box and locks into place. That box is then pulled up and down at faster than the speed of gravity. That's why you get the "weightless" (technically it's "free fall" not "weightless") feeling where you rise up out of your seat. So, it's not an instance where you're just being dropped from a large height and hoping you stop. It's a controlled pulling mechanism up and down. Also, you don't actually see the drop. The doors open and you very briefly see out into the studios, but when the actual "drop" occurs it's mostly in darkness except for some other special effects type scenes they have built in.

faline
05-27-2013, 06:21 PM
The drop sequences are random so they are not set at all. I think the anticipation before the drops is more difficult for folks than the drops themselves. Most of the drop sequence takes place in the dark and you would not really be able to tell how high you might be - there are a couple of times when you do have a view through the open doors over the park but these are very quick glimpses.

Once you enter the car, the first part of the ride is interior presentation and preparation. When your car moves forward, you will know that it is getting into position for the drop sequence.

Polynesian Dweller
05-27-2013, 07:30 PM
The actual drop sequences are very short, I'd say no more than 2-3 min if that long. Regardless of sequence it's over before you know it. Also, being in the dark you don't get much sense of being at any height. I don't like drops or heights but love this ride.

MrPeetrie
05-27-2013, 08:22 PM
This is truly an amazing attraction and you should definitely try it at least once.

The drops are not long drops like you see in amusement parks. They are short bursts - both up and down - and mostly in the dark. To be honest, sometimes I'm not sure which direction I'm traveling in - up or down. But there is so much more to this ride than the drops.

The attention to detail as you enter the lobby is amazing. The special effects as you ascend are terrific. The CMs seem to really get into character here.

Truthfully, you have no frame of reference to frighten you of heights as it's in total darkness. If you take a chance on this, I guarantee you'll enjoy it.

BuddyL4
05-27-2013, 08:38 PM
I tried this ride for the first time on our last trip. My son and his friend talked me into it. I am glad they did. The main reason I wanted to try this attraction is the company I used to work for, I made one of the pressure sensors on it. I had to make sure it worked :thumbsup:
I am glad to report it worked fine!

CanadaLovesDisney
05-28-2013, 12:03 AM
This ride is sheer hell. I was so excited for it and I wanted to actually die half way through. My stomach dropped so many times and not a little bit like air plane turbulence - big big drops that feel like they drag on forever. I don't recommend.
Others in my party love it - they are crazy and I will never trust their judgement again. Worst/scariest ride in all the parks in my opinion. Thought I was going to have a stroke and I'm in my 20's!!!!:ack:

Tigerinvestigator
05-28-2013, 12:23 AM
The ride is surprisingly smooth. The drops are not nearly as bad as the anticipation of the drops. It is truly one of the best attractions ever created, from the lobby all the way to the exit.:thumbsup:

Zippy 1
05-28-2013, 12:33 AM
I tried it on our last trip. I am scared to death of heights. We sat closer to the back and I did ok. Not sure I will do it again but I did survive.

azcavalier
05-28-2013, 10:03 AM
This is truly an amazing attraction and you should definitely try it at least once. (stuff removed)
The attention to detail as you enter the lobby is amazing. The special effects as you ascend are terrific. The CMs seem to really get into character here.

Totally agree. As far as theming goes, I think that Tower of Terror takes the cake. It's amazingly well done. If NOTHING else, go through the queue and pre-show, and then take a chicken door.

The ride is surprisingly smooth. The drops are not nearly as bad as the anticipation of the drops. It is truly one of the best attractions ever created, from the lobby all the way to the exit.:thumbsup:

Again, agreed. I don't like the "drops" either. But it is completely safe, and the actual drops aren't long at all, and are very smooth. 3-6, randomized in height and duration, but I would bet that the entire dropping experience is less than a minute in length. And like someone else said, you're not dropping....it's actually pulling you down. It's *extremely* safe.

KylesMom
05-28-2013, 10:05 AM
It took me years - and I do mean YEARS - to get the guts up to try ToT. It is now among my favorite attractions in the parks! While I have never been bothered by heights, I was concerned about the feeling of being dropped. It's exhilarating. AND it's the only ride at Disney that makes me scream and laugh at the same time with joy! LOL

Mrs Bus Driver
05-28-2013, 10:07 AM
Only you know what you can tolerate. I would suggest to try it once. At least go through the pre-show and the line. The attention to detail is not to be missed. Especially if you grew up watching the twilight zone like I did. I always remember I was about 5 or 6 when I saw the episode where the little girl gets lost in another dimension under her bed. Her parents could hear her crying behind the wall. Scarred the heck out of me. But I love a good scare :thedolls:. There is a wall in the line where you can hear her crying and many other things from different episodes. So go and enjoy and if you reach the elevator and can't do it tell the CM and they will show you to the exit. I know there are people who have gone through the line just to see the detail and then leave without riding. :mickey:

Aurora
05-28-2013, 11:04 AM
Raise your hand if you've ever taken the "chicken" exit. :hi:

I love this ride but can't do it anymore because of my dreaded motion sickness. It gets worse as I get older. So I go through the line with the rest of my party and then take the back exit out.

I agree with the others about how great the detail is on this ride. I love the part where you're moving forward to get into position -- the effects on this are mind-blowing!

Definitely a must-see if you've never done it.

DonaldDuckUSA
05-28-2013, 11:28 AM
I agree with what most are saying here about the "drop."

The best example I can give is that my father LOVED this ride and the was terrified of drops. It's not a drop like a roller coaster where you're plunging to the ground. Its up and down. I think what freaked him out about drops on roller coasters was the tilt of the ride car. You don't have that in the ToT. You're upright in a seat. It's a different experience.

My mother has had reoccurring nightmares of elevator drops and she was so scared to ride it. Now, it's one of her favorites.

Try it, see what you think. Other posters are accurate when they say you're inside of an enclosed area for most of the ride so you maybe only see how high you are at those one or two points when the elevator doors are open.

EJS-Houston
05-28-2013, 11:59 AM
I tried this ride for the first time on our last trip. My son and his friend talked me into it. I am glad they did. The main reason I wanted to try this attraction is the company I used to work for, I made one of the pressure sensors on it. I had to make sure it worked :thumbsup:
I am glad to report it worked fine!

Friends of my mine who don't like scary rides/ coasters at all also tried Tower of Terror for the first time on our last visit...and they loved it!

PopPhan
05-28-2013, 11:59 AM
Raise your hand if you've ever taken the "chicken" exit. :hi:

I love this ride but can't do it anymore because of my dreaded motion sickness. It gets worse as I get older. So I go through the line with the rest of my party and then take the back exit out.

I agree with the others about how great the detail is on this ride. I love the part where you're moving forward to get into position -- the effects on this are mind-blowing!

Definitely a must-see if you've never done it.

I admit, I was a wuss and 'chickened out' the first time through the ride. I have problems with heights and didn't think I could handle it.

BUT, I have come back and enjoyed it numerous times since then. The first time 'jitters' are the worst. Once you have ridden it, you know what to expect and it makes the ride all that much fun.

#1donaldfan
05-28-2013, 12:42 PM
It's a great ride and the fact of being scared of heights play no factor in this ride. You are inside and cannot tell the height you are .... plus when it gets moving, it's ALL FUN !! It's a very good ride and a must each visit !!! :mickey:

bruin1344
05-28-2013, 12:58 PM
I admit, I was a wuss and 'chickened out' the first time through the ride. I have problems with heights and didn't think I could handle it.

BUT, I have come back and enjoyed it numerous times since then. The first time 'jitters' are the worst. Once you have ridden it, you know what to expect and it makes the ride all that much fun.

same here

CU Tiger
05-28-2013, 02:19 PM
It does not seem you are as scared to the height as you are to the drops. You can only see how high you are for a split second before the drop sequence starts. You can close your eyes for that portion.
The dropping is intense, but I do not feel as if I am falling as much as I am being pulled up and down. I say try it once. What is the worst can happen, you will not like it? You may be suprised and love it!:mickey:

Ms. Mode
05-28-2013, 02:27 PM
Hands down: Best Ride EVER! Please give it a try. :number1:

#1donaldfan
05-29-2013, 01:55 PM
Hands down: Best Ride EVER! Please give it a try. :number1:

Agreed !! The theme, the attention to detail, even the wait is not bad, as there are so many things to see ..... then the ride just tops it all off !!! I love it !!:cool:

debbymc4
05-29-2013, 08:52 PM
I agree with the person who said the ride is hell. That being said, I don't think being afraid of heights should deter you as I agree that the fact you are enclosed in the car doesn't allow for the feeling of being very high up. I really, really dislike the up portion of the ride. The drops were OK for me, but the pull back up really bothered my head and my stomach.

Zawadi
05-31-2013, 01:43 PM
We've been on ToT over 300 times and still love it.

WDW's version is the best compared to Anaheim and Paris which are of the same design.

Our scariest experience was when it was just the two of us in the car!

thejens
06-01-2013, 01:42 AM
I generally hate heights and drops, but have enjoyed this attraction. The first time I actually loved it and felt the weightless, floating feeling. It was exhilerating and amazing. The second time, i think the drops were shorter or something, and I was more nervous. But I am really glad I have tried this ride. The anticipation is definitely the worst part!! I personally hate the moment when the door opens and you look out and realize the drops are coming up next!!!

sisterslovindisney
06-02-2013, 09:26 AM
I'm terrified of heights too (like can barely stand on a chair and Soarin is the most terrifying experience I've ever had :D) but this ride does not scare me at all. You don't feel like you're high up. It does make me a bit nauseous from the drops but still love the ride.

TheHD
06-05-2013, 12:36 PM
This used to be my favorite ride, as I love drops and heights, but on my last trip, it didn't do anything for me anymore. However, my wife and daughter think the drops are scary.

DisneyDawgette
06-06-2013, 08:57 AM
I've loved this ride since I was a kid! When I was 5, I rode it with my mom and laughed the whole time- which is why she has never ridden it with me again. Apparently I ruined it for her. ;)

However, on our last trip I went on an all adult trip and two of the people in my party either did not like heights, or did not like drops. The friend of mine who did not like heights had no problem with this ride because everything is so dark. My friend who was not fond of dropping had a little more difficulty with the ride... But we ended up riding ToT 7 times that day, and by then end of the day he had worked up the courage to sit in the front and actually really enjoyed it!

Give it a shot, at least once. This is a phenomenal attraction, and if you don't like it, at least you will know for future trips! :)

ransam
06-06-2013, 10:53 AM
Just go for it! You'll love it and thank me later. lol

RBrooksC
06-21-2013, 11:05 AM
I have a great fear of heights and also falling from said heights.

When I ride ToT, I do not hold on and I basically let the seat belt do its job of holding me in my seat.

I spend more time out of my seat than in it and it makes the ride incredible.

You never realize how high you are because you are in a darkened shaft and when you get to look out over the park, the view is so fleeting that you cannot comprehend how high you are.

This ride is smooth, exciting and fun. Don't worry about any fear of heights because it really does not come into play here.

CaptSmee
06-21-2013, 11:36 AM
The ride is lots of fun, especially in a group of friends. I always scream when I know nothing will happen & it makes everyone else scream & laugh breaking some of the tension :D
I have seen very minimal waits to ride & I have seen hr long waits. Advice is to try it, or they have fast pass available as well :thumbsup:

ANG
06-21-2013, 08:43 PM
This is the only Disney ride that makes me vomit. I LOVED LOVED the special effects beforehand but my stomach was in knots. I've done it twice (I did it the second time to see if it was a fluke). Nope, I will never again. It's a must try though! DH never misses it. I just enter with him, watch the pre show, and then use the chicken exit.

mgmnut
07-03-2013, 09:23 AM
I always remember I was about 5 or 6 when I saw the episode where the little girl gets lost in another dimension under her bed. Her parents could hear her crying behind the wall. Scarred the heck out of me. But I love a good scare :thedolls:. There is a wall in the line where you can hear her crying and many other things from different episodes. :mickey:

Where in the queue does this effect take place? I want to look (hear) for it in Aug

TikiLounger
07-09-2013, 10:30 AM
Agreed !! The theme, the attention to detail, even the wait is not bad, as there are so many things to see ..... then the ride just tops it all off !!! I love it !!:cool:

My thoughts, exactly!

DonLefNY
07-09-2013, 02:03 PM
For years I avoided ToT. That is until my then 6 year old neighbor was telling how much he enjoyed it. I then said if he can do it so can I.

Donald A
07-11-2013, 10:44 AM
I would say it is more of a bounce than a drop. You move up and down very fast. Sometimes it is up and than down a large distance (my favorite) and other times it is up and down a short distance in fast bursts. You don't really ever get the feeling that you are high-up.