PDA

View Full Version : Time required to ride the monorail.

thads
05-23-2013, 07:15 PM
I am thinking of leaving the Magic Kingdom to go over to the Contemporary Resort for Dinner. I am trying to decide if it is faster to take the bus there, and monorail back, or just enjoy the monorail ride all the way around. Does anyone know how long the entire monorail look is? Would the bus to the contemporary be faster than the monorail? Thanks.

faline
05-23-2013, 07:19 PM
I'd either walk or take the monorail. The Contemporary is the first stop on the monorail when you leave the Magic Kingdom. There is a walkway from the Magic Kingdom and you can walk the distance in about 15-20 minutes.

Is there a bus from the Contemporary to the Magic Kingdom? Never looked for one.

On the way back from the Contemporary, the Magic Kingdom would be the 4th stop and would probably take about the same amount of time it would take to walk back to the Magic Kingdom.

MickeysBestPal
05-23-2013, 08:05 PM
Is there a bus from the Contemporary to the Magic Kingdom?

Nope.
Nor vice versa.

(No boat service directly between MK and the Contemporary, either.)

MickeysBestPal
05-23-2013, 08:10 PM
There is a walkway from the Magic Kingdom and you can walk the distance in about 15-20 minutes.

At a "average or moderate" walking speed, I'd say that the walking time is closer to half of that.

As always, everything varies with different guests.

It is actually very close.

You can see a map of the route HERE (http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c265/RoboWDW/Silly%20Stuff/MK-to-CR-BLT_051313_zps917ebf7b.jpg).

SBETigg
05-23-2013, 08:47 PM
You have three options to Contemporary from MK: Walking, Boat Launch, or Monorail. Walking is the only one you can control. The walking pace is up to you, but it's probably ten to twenty minutes depending ( I would think closer to ten).

The monorail can be as fast as two minutes or as slow as 30 minutes depending on waits, when you arrive at the station vs when the next available train comes along, and the unusual unavoidable delay. It's usually more along the lines of 5-10 minutes. The Contemporary is the first stop after the MK if you use the resort monorail. I've never taken the boat, but again it would depend on waits, when you get to the loading dock vs when the next boat happens along, etc. Returning, the walk or boat might make more sense since you would be stopping at the TTC, Poly, and GF before making it to the MK by monorail, a 20 minute loop on average, again depending on waits, etc.

Polynesian Dweller
05-23-2013, 09:56 PM
You have three options to Contemporary from MK: Walking, Boat Launch, or Monorail. Walking is the only one you can control. The walking pace is up to you, but it's probably ten to twenty minutes depending ( I would think closer to ten).

There is no boat launch to the Contemporary from MK. The only choices are walking and monorail. Walking is about 10 minutes and the monorail with wait is about as long. Going to dinner using the monorail is likely the best way.

However, on return walking will be at least twice as fast as the monorail.

There also is no bus between the contemporary and MK.

thejens
05-23-2013, 10:22 PM
I love taking the monorail! And getting off the monorail inside the contemporary is one of my most favorite things to do!!! :mickey:

MargaretMessler
05-24-2013, 02:11 PM
Unless someone in your party cannot do the walking, or you have a certain desire to ride the monorail...walking is the way to go. We stayed there a few years back and I would say the walk is closer to 5 minutes than 15.

Melanie
05-24-2013, 02:30 PM
Yes, walk! It's a nice, easy walk.

thads
05-24-2013, 03:51 PM
You guys are all so awesome. I love this site. Thank you for all of your help.

Main Street Jim
05-24-2013, 03:53 PM
There is no boat launch to the Contemporary from MK.

When did the boats stop running between MK and Contemporary? Thought that's what the "big boats" on Seven Seas Lagoon were (for Contemporary and Ft. Wilderness)? Don't they cross the "water bridge" that goes over the road there? Think I have a pic somewheres...

Just looked on the official Walt Disney World Web site, and yes, there is indeed water transportation between the Contemporary and the park (MK).

*HOWEVER* - my recommendation? Walk it. It's only about a five-minute walk from the exit of MK. Use the exits on your left when you get to the front of the park, and take the walkway to the left before you get to the bus stops. You'll cross World Drive, then on to the resort.

SBETigg
05-24-2013, 04:27 PM
There is no boat launch to the Contemporary from MK. The only choices are walking and monorail. Walking is about 10 minutes and the monorail with wait is about as long. Going to dinner using the monorail is likely the best way.

However, on return walking will be at least twice as fast as the monorail.

There also is no bus between the contemporary and MK.

Really? There used to be. I haven't checked in years. I guess they eliminated it. Sorry for the misinformation.

Oh, just read further down to Main Street Jim's check. Carry on.

disneymom2000
05-24-2013, 10:08 PM
I would definitely do the monorail. Once it shows up it just takes a couple of minutes or so to get there.:train:

MickeysBestPal
05-25-2013, 12:01 AM
Just looked on the official Walt Disney World Web site, and yes, there is indeed water transportation between the Contemporary and the park (MK).

Sorry, but there is not.
(And, has not been for years.)

The larger water craft at MK's central dock service Wilderness Lodge and Ft. Wilderness.

There are smaller shuttle boats that only make runs between the Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge and Ft. Wilderness.

Polynesian Dweller
05-25-2013, 12:23 AM
Sorry, but there is not.
(And, has not been for years.)

The larger water craft at MK's central dock service Wilderness Lodge and Ft. Wilderness.

There are smaller shuttle boats that only make runs between the Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge and Ft. Wilderness.

Yep, those are the current routes. Nothing direct to the Contemporary.

Butters
05-25-2013, 06:43 AM
I'm another vote for walking, when we stayed at the CR it was always much quicker to take the 5 min walk

Katzateer
05-25-2013, 07:30 AM
For the short amount of time being saved I would take the monorail. One of my favorite rides at WDW!:):mickey:

And I never get tired of entering the building on the monorail - so cool and love the mosaics.

Melanie
05-25-2013, 08:18 AM
Yep, those are the current routes. Nothing direct to the Contemporary.

Thought that was the case. Really, with the option to walk or take the monorail, a boat really isn't necessary.

Polynesian Dweller
05-25-2013, 11:27 AM
Thought that was the case. Really, with the option to walk or take the monorail, a boat really isn't necessary.

And the boat would take longer having to go across the water bridge and around the back to the Contemporary dock.

MickeysBestPal
05-25-2013, 11:44 AM
And the boat would take longer having to go across the water bridge and around the back to the Contemporary dock.

Not to mention that the CR shuttle dock is SO FAR from the CR building already that it, alone, may be about half the distance as the walkway from the MK. ;)

Take a look. (http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c265/RoboWDW/Silly%20Stuff/Contemporary-BoatDock-S-052510.jpg)

readytogo2
05-26-2013, 08:07 PM
dont want to overtake this thread but has anyone noticed an odor on the monorails

Main Street Jim
05-27-2013, 10:18 AM
That "smell" has been there for *YEARS*...it's condensation that sits overnight after they park 'em left in the A/C lines.

readytogo2
05-29-2013, 08:04 AM
cant they leave they doors open at night when not in use or use a stick up deodorizer? we barely made it from poly to GFin feb odor was so bad

MickeysBestPal
05-29-2013, 09:05 AM
cant they leave they doors open at night when not in use or use a stick up deodorizer? we barely made it from poly to GFin feb odor was so bad

This issue has been often discussed for at least the last 15 years.

One of the earliest recurring internet discussions on the old Prodigy and CompuServe Disney forums in the 1980's and 1990's.

Don't look for much relief, as Disney obviously sees little need to address it.

jefmblrd
06-07-2013, 03:11 PM
Doing the research and knowing the options (like you're doing) is the way to go. Then make the decision to walk or take the monorail depending on how you're feeling at the moment, the weather and how much time you have.

I do have to add though that a monorail ride is always fun and getting off inside the Contemporary is always fun too.