PDA

View Full Version : Segways in the park????

Allenfow98
05-22-2013, 09:28 PM
did i read it right, are they going to start renting segways in the parks right along side strollers and ECVs?
Remember the future people in WallE...is that what we are turning into?

Polynesian Dweller
05-22-2013, 09:37 PM
They will be renting ESVs, electric standing vehicles. These are four wheel vehicles not segways. This is in response to a lawsuit that tried to get segways allowed for those who have difficulty sitting for a long time. There will be a limited number available.

PirateLover
05-22-2013, 10:26 PM
:ditto: to Polynesian Dweller.
This law suit has been around for a while. There are all kinds of disabilities out there, requiring different kinds of accommodations. Some people cannot walk long distances, but also cannot stay in a seated position. I don't see how they are any different than an ECV or some kind of indication of increased laziness of society.

Polynesian Dweller
05-22-2013, 11:20 PM
:ditto: to Polynesian Dweller.
This law suit has been around for a while. There are all kinds of disabilities out there, requiring different kinds of accommodations. Some people cannot walk long distances, but also cannot stay in a seated position. I don't see how they are any different than an ECV or some kind of indication of increased laziness of society.

My late mom was exactly the type of person who could have used an ESV due to her health issues. We'd have had more time at the parks (and elsewhere). Although there are always abusers, those who benefit from things like this have a much better life.

The ESVs are a response to the lawsuit you mention. Disney won the right to keep out segways but still needed to come up with an accommodation for those who need it and that is what should be done.

crmark1
05-24-2013, 04:59 PM
Having to use a ESV is not an indication of laziness and it has many disadvantages in the Parks. ( try negotiating through DAK on a busy day). On our last trip in 2011 I had to use a scooter. I was very self conscious the first day because I do not look like I need a scooter. At the time I was only 49 and 190lbs. I have sever ostioarthritis in my left hip and cannot walk without a limp and pain. After the 1st day I didn't care if people looked at me and thought I could be abusing the system. Being able to use the scooter allowed me to enjoy WDW with my Dw Dd 16 and Ds 6. I will be using the scooter on my solo trip 7/4-7/11