PDA

View Full Version : Golf cart to get around?

Aurora
05-20-2013, 03:20 PM
Totally random question: Does anyone own a golf cart that they use as their primary form of transportation? A relative of mine owns one and sometimes drives it around, but being in the Chicago area, it only gets used in the warmer months. I'm wondering if anyone uses one year-round instead of a car.

Pirate Granny
05-20-2013, 04:04 PM
Maybe in Florida, but I don't think they are practical...where would you park it?

Kenny1113
05-20-2013, 04:31 PM
Here, in some neighborhoods, it is permitted to use golf carts on the streets . I don't think anyone (in the neighborhoods I am speaking of) uses it as their primary vehicle though. It's just used for getting around the neighborhood (kids schools, park events, friends houses, etc).

disney obsessed
05-20-2013, 06:17 PM
They get used a lot here in virginia beach. The resort area is full of them. They have to be street legal to be on the road. They cost as much as a small car to get street legal. Gas milage may be a bit better but you go really slow and can't go far with the electric ones.

buzznwoodysmom
05-20-2013, 07:24 PM
There is a neighborhood not far from my neighborhood that I know lots of people use golf carts to get around. There is even a grocery store nearby that even has golf cart parking spots.

Aurora
05-21-2013, 05:22 PM
They get used a lot here in virginia beach. The resort area is full of them. They have to be street legal to be on the road. They cost as much as a small car to get street legal. Gas milage may be a bit better but you go really slow and can't go far with the electric ones.

What do they have to do to be "street legal?"

I think when I get older I might just sell the car and move to one of these neighborhoods. :D

disney obsessed
05-21-2013, 07:33 PM
They have certain safety requirments and mechanical specs. They also have to be registered. You cannot legally drive a golf cart on the streets here if it is not street legal. They have actual license plates.

PETE FROM NYC
06-23-2013, 06:35 PM
My Aunt Kathe lives in Clearwater. She is around 80yo, no drivers license. She has been using her golf cart for 10 yrs with no problems. She just cannot cross any large intersections, without a cop complaining.

DonLefNY
06-27-2013, 11:43 AM
I have an electric one at my Florida home. It's a gated community and I'm not allowed to drive it outside the gates, but its my main mode of transportation within the gates. I had a "high speed motor" installed and it can get up to 28 mph.