PDA

View Full Version : Mismanaged Points...

seanyred
05-16-2013, 09:37 AM
I figured I'd share this with everyone so that others can learn from my mistake. In the end it works out for me but I could have made it less complicated. I'll try to make this as simple as possible:

I completed this transaction through the DVC Website.

My Use Year begins every December. So for Use Year December 2012 I have all of my points. Our next trip is not until December 2013 when we plan on stay at Grand Californian in a One Bedroom which would require us to borrow points.

Prior to completing my transaction I should have banked my December 2012 points into December 2013 and then completed the transaction (for some reason I thought it would automatically pull from 2012, I was wrong). However I did not. So now all of 2013 points have been used plus half of my December 2014 points. Now I'm left with December 2012 Points, thankfully I can still Bank them into December 2013 and DW and I will be able to use it for our 10 year anniversary next year.

I hope I explained this well and don't sound too Dopey. My only gripe is that I wish the online systym at least prompted me or asked me if wanted to move my 2012 points into 2013 prior to completing the transaction.

To summarize this is how my points ended up::
December 2012: 0 points
December 2013: XXX points
December 2014: XX Points
December 2015: All Points

Hope this can be of some help to others...

Aurora
05-17-2013, 09:33 AM
Good post, and I'm sure it will help lots of owners. Sometimes managing use years, banking and borrowing can be complex, and automated systems don't necessarily go the extra mile in providing guest service.

A savvy CM on the other end of the Member Services line probably would have asked you about your 2012 points, but that's not guaranteed either.

Moral is: Know the process well and keep your own records of points use. Good thing you still had a window to bank your points!

faline
05-17-2013, 09:41 AM
If I am unsure of how it works or how to best do something, I usually call and speak directly with someone at member services. So far, that has worked quite well.

tjstrike
05-18-2013, 09:11 AM
Mine never stick around long enough to be banked.

VWL Mom
05-19-2013, 08:10 AM
I suggest you give MS a call and let them reallocate your points. Even though you have now banked the 2012 points, the reservation will still be using the 2013/2014 points because it was booked that way.

Normally right before you end your transaction it shows you what points are being used for the reservation from which contract and use year and gives you the opportunity to change it if necessary. I hope that hasn't been taken away with the new "enhanced" system.

Carol
05-20-2013, 06:53 AM
Great post.

I'm old school and always call. I still like that voice verification.
Mine never stick around long enough to be banked.That's me. Often going twice a year and staying in a 2-bedroom --- they disappear quickly.

DizneyFreak2002
05-20-2013, 11:12 AM
I always check DVCmember.com against my spreadsheet to make sure I am keeping tabs on my points correctly...

As a matter of fact, the DVC points tracker I downloaded was from here on Intercot... I am not sure who created it, but it has come in handy and is a great tool!

NewDVCowner
05-20-2013, 11:59 AM
About a month ago I banked my remaining points in anticipation for reserving a room for next April. I went online and did it. Everything seemed find but when I called yesterday to make the reservation they told me that I had points to bank before I made the reservation. I mentioned that I thought I'd done it online a few weeks before. He asked me if I got a banking confirmation number. I hadn't. If you bank online make sure you get a confirmation number for the transaction otherwise it didn't go through. Fortunately everything worked out for me but I thought I should mention it on here, too, so people know.

seanyred
05-20-2013, 12:31 PM
I suggest you give MS a call and let them reallocate your points. Even though you have now banked the 2012 points, the reservation will still be using the 2013/2014 points because it was booked that way.

Normally right before you end your transaction it shows you what points are being used for the reservation from which contract and use year and gives you the opportunity to change it if necessary. I hope that hasn't been taken away with the new "enhanced" system.

It did show me the breakdown but I was so focused on booking the trip that it wasn't until 5 minutes after I booked it that I realized what I did.

As for calling DVC and having the points reallocated, I won't need to do that since I have use for them next year.

I feel like an idiot because I'm usually on top of this stuff but just got caught up in the moment of booking since GCV has such limited availability.