PDA

View Full Version : Job Interview question

Mr. Brass Bonanza
05-14-2013, 08:59 AM
I have an interview with The Home Depot today as an overnight freight worker. If I get the job, I would probably start next week. I will be away for a long weekend next month to attend my cousin's wedding. Should I tell them that during the interview, or should I wait until they call me that I have the job?

Thanks!

Reedy Creek Buccaneer
05-14-2013, 10:11 AM
Do not tell them until they offer you the position.

BigB
05-14-2013, 10:43 AM
Do not tell them until they offer you the position.

:thumbsup: Basically it is none of their business until you get hired.

#1donaldfan
05-14-2013, 12:45 PM
Integrity goes a long way !! I'm not saying it's thier business, but THEIR business after hiring you is thier business and within that initial period, or probationary time, it's not a well looked upon thing to be out after just getting the job. If you are good enough to be hired, they see something they like, obviously. During the interview, when appropraite, tell them you're very interested in the job, yet you are in a wedding and will possibly need some time off, or if you could schedule training around it, it may not be a factor at all, as you may not be scheduled for that weekend.....but always be up front in all you do, then you NEVER have a worry !! :mickey::thumbsup:

SBETigg
05-14-2013, 02:03 PM
I don't think it's a matter of integrity. It's simply a scheduling issue. A long weekend shouldn't be a problem unless you're hired specifically to work weekends. I see no need to bring it up until you are hired or you run the risk of looking like you're already bringing up issues that don't pertain to your hiring or ability to do the job. Stick to the necessary information. For all intents and purposes, this isn't at this time.

DizneyRox
05-14-2013, 04:51 PM
Home Depot looks to be instituting some new customer service initiatives, one of them is time off around holidays. How it impacts each position would be something to take up with them at the time another is made.

If it conflicts, but they need the help bad enough, maybe it's okay. Maybe it won't be, but I'd wait until an offer is made before offering up restrictions on your employment.

And then, it wouldn't hurt to get it in writing if they have to make an exception. Retail tends to have high turnover, and what's good for one boss, might not be good for the next.

DVC2004
05-14-2013, 05:03 PM
Bring it up when the job is offered. I wouldn't mention it before.

MNNHFLTX
05-19-2013, 05:22 PM
Definitely wait until you get an offer. People make plans before they are hired--it happens. As long as you are not asking for every weekend off for the first month it shouldn't matter.