PDA

View Full Version : Bongo's? SKIP IT.

DisneyDawgette
05-09-2013, 09:25 PM
So, against my better judgement, we went to Bongo's a couple of weekends ago (thank you finals for making this post so long overdue!) and it was easily one of the worst meals I've had as far as the food was concerned.

We arrived, a party of 7, at about 7:30 on a Saturday. We knew it was going to be busy, so we were not expecting to not wait- however the hostess told us that we could wait for 40 minutes for an indoor table, or be seated immediately on the upper deck. Needless to say, after a long day of water slides and playing concerts in the hot sun at Wet N' Wild, we opted to sit immediately.

The server was nice enough, though she definitely lacked the Disney quality service that I was used to. She had a very bland personality and was relatively slow, but they were busy- so I won't hold that against her much.

The food was the area that I was most disappointed about: Each of us got something different, chicken and yellow rice, Bongo's fried rice, skirt steak, etc... And unfortunately, to be Latin food, it all lacked ANY sort of flavor. The plantains were bland and somewhat bitter, the fried plantains were cakey and unappealing, and the chicken fried rice was just nasty. Also, the price of the food was incredibly steep based on the quality of the food. We paid about $20 per plate for food that I could have gotten at any local Latin joint for half the price.

Needless to say, we will not be returning to Bongo's. Raglan Road or BUST! ;)

Polynesian Dweller
05-09-2013, 09:32 PM
Thanks for your review. Hadn't heard much about this place and have been thinking about going there. Wonder what others impressions are.

My only quibble with the review is about Disney quality service. Though I agree quality of service should be high regardless, Bongo's is not a Disney operated restaurant so it will be a but different.

SBETigg
05-09-2013, 10:09 PM
Yikes, it sounds terrible. I've never been, and I'm not inspired to add it to my list. Thanks for the review.

ASweetLov
05-09-2013, 10:23 PM
I am half Dominican and on my last Disney trip I ate at Bongos. We were a party of 3 and we LOVED our food! Appetizers, entree and dessert was all excellent!

Melanie
05-10-2013, 06:45 AM
We went to Bongo's many, many years ago (DH is a Gloria Estafan fan :blush: ) and we didn't care for it. In absolutely no hurry to return. Thanks for your review!

DVC2004
05-10-2013, 12:32 PM
Agree. Went here once and not going back. No flavor whatsoever.

Funny, I was watcing Trip Flip on travel channel and they went to Miami and met up with Gloria Estefan's husband. They went to his restaurant and he commented he had the "#1 Restaurant at Disney"! He must be dellusional. :confused:

patandtwins
05-10-2013, 11:33 PM
I agree too! My family of 15 went in Dec 2011. The food was very bland and dry. The place was very loud. It was pretty slow service too. We won't be going back and neither will most of the rest of our family (I think 3/15 liked it).