PDA

View Full Version : My Dining Reviews (VERY LONG)

ransam
05-08-2013, 06:55 PM
I help my friends w/ their disney plans all time. I have a list of things they should see, and hidden things not many know about.
So today i decided to review all the places i've eaten.
I thought i'd share it on here.
I realize it may be very long, but some of you might enjoy it.

ransam
05-08-2013, 06:56 PM
Magic Kingdom
Cinderella Castle Breakfast
Times visited-2
I ate here twice and both times I thought how awesome it would have been to come here when my sister and I were kids to see the smile on my sister’s face. But then again, visiting this w/ my sister as an adult, it was still fun to see her smile. After checking in you wait in line for a picture w/ Cinderella. I believe that your picture is included w/ the price and you can order extra prints if you desire. Then you are taken upstairs for your breakfast. It is a table buffet. If I remember right there are two types of breakfast you can order and they deliver it to you. You can then order more as you desire. Periodically there is a bugle call and it is announced that Cinderella and her guests will be visiting. Then Cinderella, Belle, Snow White, and some of the other princesses will come out and mingle amongst you taking pictures and visiting.
The food is really good, especially the stuffed French Toast. The atmosphere is excellent and you get some really good views from the castle walls.
One added bonus is you can make a reservation before the park opens. This allows you entrance to the park before the crowd. Arrive early and you can take a nice walk down Main Street w/o the crowds and get some really good pictures w/o people getting in the way.
Plan to make this reservation very early it sells out quickly. I usually try to book this the first day we’re there, it’s just a nice way to kick off your vacation.

Crystal Palace (Breakfast)
Times Visited -1
This is also a character breakfast w/ the characters of Pooh and his friends who are always roaming around playing w/ the guests and taking pictures.
The highlight is made to order Omelets. The food is typical of what you would expect. It’s good, but not as good at the Castle. It’s a breakfast bar that you walk through.
It has a great variety of rolls and cereals.
I do recommend reservations, but it’s not nearly as difficult as the Royal Castle to book. As well as the castle it is nice to book before the park opens so you can take come cool pictures.

Liberty Tavern (Dinner)
Times Visited-1
When we visited here I have to admit it was rainy toward the end of one of our trips, and none of us were in a very good mood, not happy about having to leave the next day.
But this put us in a much better mood. It’s themed as the name would suggest as a dining place that the fathers of our country might eat at. The food is meat and potatoes. I good old fashioned all-American meal. I loved the whole theming. It’s very warm, friendly and inviting.
The food is very good, and it’s nice to get away for a bit from the bustle and just have this great meal w/ your friends and family.

Tony’s
Times Visited-5
I have visited here w/ my sister and friend and also w/ my gf and Son.
I have heard a few not like this place and I don’t understand it. As you can see by the times I’ve been there, I’m a fan.
The foot is just awesome. The pasta is very tasty and I’ve had the steak and it is always perfectly prepared. It’s nice enough for romance but not so upscale that you can’t bring children. My son is a very picky eater and he loved the food here.
It is themed after Lady and the Tramp.
The waiters are very good and keep the atmosphere pleasant. They will sing in Italian for your b-day. (Also don’t be on the phone when you’re there. I was talking on the phone to my mom and a few tables from me I saw a waiter grab the phone from a young lady and say kind of loudly into the phone “she’s on vacation! Leave her alone” I quickly and quietly told my mom “I gotta go” and hung up!)
It’s nice because it’s at the front of the park so it’s a nice place to eat on your way out, or a nice place to eat as you enter the park.
We try to time it so that we can eat and then step out to make the short walk to Main Street to watch the fireworks.

ransam
05-08-2013, 06:57 PM
Animal Kingdom
Tusker House (breakfast and Lunch)
Times Visited-Breakfast-2 times. Lunch-2 times
This is a buffet.
As it is w/ the Crystal Palace and Royal Breakfast, this is a good place to book for breakfast so you can enter the park early (be prepared when you enter Animal Kingdom early is smells very bad, not sure why that is, but it is really bad early in the morning)
Both the breakfast and lunch are hosted by Donald and he has the other 4 main characters with him (Mickey, Minnie, Pluto and Goofy). You start out w/
This is a buffet and it is awesome. There is plenty to choose from and I have had nothing that wasn’t fantastic.
If you eat lunch there and plan it correctly it is also a nice place to step out and watch the parade.
If you eat early enough when you finish you can go directly to the safari which isn’t very far away.
If you schedule during the opening of the park you can also grab a fast pass for the safari before you eat. This park is perfectly located, kind of in the middle and you can get where you’re going quickly after your meal.

ransam
05-08-2013, 06:57 PM
Hollywood Studios
50’s Prime Time Café (Dinner)
Times visited-1
I love this place, the theming is awesome.
Basically you’re eating in a 50’s café w/ old time TV shows on the TV and the servers are your very strict uncle, aunt, cousin, or another relative. Lol. they lay down some very strict rules-No elbows on the table, eat all your vegetables, no talking back , and if you don’t follow you will be punished by either being called out loudly to other guests, told to stand in the corner or “mom” may even come to let you have it. Lol. If you don’t eat your vegetables, don’t be surprised when they are returned to you for dessert w/ whipped cream and a cherry on top of them.
It’s all in good fun and I really enjoyed our dinner. Of course my sister was the tattle tale and told our aunt that my friend and I were talking back to her.
The food is basic food you’d expect from a café-Pot roast, meat loaf, mashed potatoes, etc. It’s good, but I wouldn’t return for the food, but I will for the experience.

The Brown Derby (Lunch w/ an Imaginer)
Times visited-4 times-
If you love Disney, then you cannot miss this. It is always the highlight of my trip.
When you go they will give you a quick history of the restaurant and the theming. It is themed after the Brown Derby in Hollywood where all the famous people ate. You are then led back to a private room where you have lunch with 8-10 guests and an imaginer. The lunch is awesome. You have a great soup, lots of bread, a fantastic Cobb salad (made famous at the Brown Derby), then a selection of entrée’ and for desert either Crème Brule or Grape Fruit Cake (Much better than it sounds). The meal itself is worth the price. But then for the next couple hours or so you can ask the imaginer anything you want (they may not answer, or be able to answer, but you can ask). It’s is very informative.
It is probably my favorite thing to do during a visit. Please, if you love Disney, and because you are on this board and you’ve read this far, I’m sure you are, book as soon as you can (it may be sold out but keep checking, this is one that I’ve called and it’s been booked but called back and gotten it, people drop out every now and then for some reason).

Sci Fi Diner-Dinner
Times Visited-1
I will say that there are only 2 places I’ve eaten at Disney I would not return, and this is one of them.
The theme is kind of cool; you eat in a car watching old sci fi movies.
They are very small so if you have any weight problem, you will not fit in the car.
The food was very average. The best thing I can say is it has excellent shakes.

ransam
05-08-2013, 06:58 PM
EPCOT-
Coral Reef-Dinner
Times visited-5 times
I have to say this is one of my favorites. Kids will love it.
The restaurant is very cozy and painted in a blue that matches w/ the huge aquarium that you eat in front of. Now I will say that I felt a little uncomfortable eating in front of the aquarium and wondering if I was eating one of the fish’s relatives. LOL.
If you have time wait out a seat by the glass, it is very entertaining watching the fish. I have never had a bad experience here.
The food is awesome and has a lobster soup that is, and I don’t say this often, “to die for”.
This is also a great place for special events as you can request a diver to swim w/ a sign wishing a happy birthday, anniversary, or even a wedding proposal. (Funny story. My sister and were eating and a diver came up w/ a sign saying “will you marry me”? We were very confused and looked behind us and the staff was pointing to the table next to us, as he had gone to the wrong table).

Akershus Royal Banquet Hall-Breakfast
Time’s Visited-3 times
If you can’t get a breakfast at the castle this is more than just a back-up. Personally I like this better than the Castle. Your host is Belle and all the princess will come around taking pictures and visiting.
They start w/ an awesome breakfast bar filled w/ fresh fruit, cheeses, lox, and fresh salmon.
Then you get a nice table buffet.
You will get a package w/ your pictures and an opportunity to purchase more.
One thing to note is Cinderella is not at this breakfast, but many of the other princesses do appear.
The food might be a little better than the Castle.
Again, this is good to book before the park opens so you can get in and take some nice pictures w/o the crowds or any rush.

Chefs de France-Lunch
Times Visited-1
This is the other that I wouldn’t go back to.
I have heard lots of people love it, and maybe I just had a bad experience.
I thought the service was horrible.
I had the salmon and I’ll be honest, I have had salmon at home that I bought in a bag and microwaved that I thought was better than the salmon I had there.
The others in my party actually agreed w/ me so maybe it was just us.
I will say this; they had a desert tray that was very good.

San Angel Inn-Dinner
Times visited-3 times
I love this place. Great atmosphere. Tucked away in the back of the Mexico pavilion. You can browse through the market as you wait for your table. You can watch the ride go by.
It feels like a nice night in Mexico. It’s dark and you really get a nice calming feel. Maybe a little too dark and it’s hard to read the menu, but that’s why you have the candles on the table.
The food is about as close as you can get to Mexican without going to the middle of Mexico.
All things considered, the atmosphere, dining experience, food, surroundings, this is one you should not miss.

Le Cellier-Dinner
Times visited-1
I know I’m supposed to love this, and I know that it is everyone favorites and I did like it a lot, but I wasn’t totally blown away. The atmosphere was great, tucked away in Canada.
I thought the soup was very good, and the steak was perfectly prepared.
Maybe the fact it was so crowded inside and outside put me off a bit. I felt a little rushed, like they wanted me to eat and go so they could get more customers.
I guess the thing is for me it’s hard to mess up steak, loll. So yes, it was very good, and I would definitely go back, but it’s not a priority for me.

Restaurant Marrakesh-dinner
Times visited-2 times
This is one of my favorites and not just because of the belly dancing. Lol.
First of all it is tucked way back in Morocco so it’s away from the crowds. The service is one of the best I’ve had. They are so attentive to every detail. If you’re on the dining plan they make up their own rules and allow you an appetizer as well as a desert.
The food was so fresh and tasty. I had no idea what I was eating but it was so tasty and I could literally taste it most of the night.
I want to emphasis one thing. I have worked in customer service in some capacity since I was 13 when I sold TV Guides door to door so I am a heckler for customer service, I can accept bad service because I know that people sometimes have bad days. That doesn’t mean I will go back to the place, but I understand it. But I LOVE good customer service and the service here goes beyond exceptional.

Tutto Italia-Dinner
Times visited-1
I can‘t say much about this one. It was very good.
The food was very tasty and perfectly prepared. The service was excellent.
I do like Tony’s better, but this was awesome.

Teppan Edo-Dinner
Time’s visited-1
I love Japanese food and I love the whole sitting around while it is prepared around you. I was excited about this one, and I was a little disappointed. The food was awesome, but being Disney, I was expecting more of a show by the chef.
It is very well themed, the food was so good, but Japanese food usually is. One thing that kind of bothered me is our waitress was very typical Japanese and had a Japanese accent and seemed couldn’t speak very good English. Then I went to the restroom and she was in the back talking on her cell in clear as day English. And that kind of bothered me. Now that is my fault, I understand that she wasn’t doing anything wrong, but it just kind of took away a little magic for me.
Now don’t be scared off. The food is awesome and I would definitely go back, I was just looking for something more.

ransam
05-08-2013, 06:59 PM
Other places-
Boma-Animal Kingdom Lodge-Dinner
Times visited-1
I think everyone should go here if for no other reason to see The Animal Kingdom lodge if you haven’t.
It’s a buffet and the atmosphere is very nice, but it is very hectic.
For me the highlight was the soups. They have all kinds of soups. The food was awesome, a great variety.
Lots of deserts. Way too much to eat!
Get there early and stay late and enjoy the atmosphere of not only the restaurant but the Lodge.

Flying Fish-Boardwalk-Dinner
Times visited-1
Not one of my favorites. For me the atmosphere is awesome, the food was excellent, but it was very overpriced. Its’ a nice place to have a nice dinner but there are other places I’d rather go.

Chef Mickey’s-Contemporary Resort-Dinner
Times visited-1
This is definitely for the kids.
It is a buffet w/ all your favorite characters that mingle w/ the guests. It will be hard to get your kid to stay seated to eat. Lots of opportunities for pictures.
The food was ok. A little disappointed, but it’s your typical buffet food.

‘Ohana-Polynesian- Dinner
Times visited-4 times
Ok. Let me put it this way, this is not my favorite meal at Disney, it’s my favorite meal anywhere, period.
Everything about this place is perfect. It’s easy to get to from the Magic Kingdom.
The setting is beautiful. They put on a small show w/ the kids so they can interact w/ a hula girl. You can see the meat cooking. If you’re lucky you can get a window and watch the fireworks over the castle. The food, oh my goodness, the food. There’s bread, noodles, salad, wings, veggies, and that’s just to start. Then they bring out the meat. Steak, turkey, pork, chicken, Shrimp….and I mean huge shrimp. And it’s as much as you want. Everything is cooked perfectly. Ok, I’m getting hungry thinking about it….for desert bread pudding… yes, you may not have room, make room cause that is incredible too. I would never miss a chance to eat there when I visit.

2MuchWDFun
05-08-2013, 07:34 PM
Thank you for taking the time to review your favorites and not so favorites!

BrowncatP
05-08-2013, 07:46 PM
Thank you for your reviews. I have eaten in most of the places you wrote about. I did not like the Brown Derby and would not eat there again. I am a picky eater though. The Sci-Fi is one of the best themed places to eat in all of DW. Yes, the food is average. The 50's Prime Time looks like someones kitchen from the 50's. Can someone tell me why they show clips of the Dick Van Dyke show in the Prime Time Cafe when the show was made in the 60's??

dkmwong
05-08-2013, 09:00 PM
Thank you for taking the time to write these reviews. It will help us decide for December.

tinksmom02
05-09-2013, 10:50 AM
Great reviews! I've never thought to list out all the places we've eaten at, and how many times. But now I really want to. :mickey:

MOJoe
05-09-2013, 11:33 AM
Thanks for taking the considerable amount of time it took to compose these reviews. They are some of the most thorough, thoughtful and well written dining posts i've seen on Intercot.

Though i do not share your enthusiasm for Tony's, i believe your opinions are accurate and well stated. By the way, you really have me wanting to go back to 'Ohana now!

k10
05-09-2013, 12:06 PM
enjoyable reviews! i was glad to see you like the Coral Reef! i love it there. other people in my usual traveling group don't. i don't understand that!

i'm trying Chefs de France for the 1st time in a couple weeks. fingers crossed!!!

thanks again!!! very enlightening.

ransam
05-09-2013, 12:20 PM
By the way, you really have me wanting to go back to 'Ohana now!

Me too! I just booked it for September.

mom2morgan
05-09-2013, 02:33 PM
Just for anyone who is worrying about the Sci Fi - I was (WAS!!!) over 300 pounds when we went in September, and although it was a tad squishy I DID "fit".

ransam
05-09-2013, 03:50 PM
depends on where your weight is. I was 275 and did not fit. lol

January-2007
05-09-2013, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the reviews.

mousetrapper
05-09-2013, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the reviews. I am not a fan of SciFi but it's one of DH's choices this trip. I'd rather not waste a DDP ADR there, but it's his choice, and everyone in the family gets to choose. Oh well at least I can order a shake!

SBETigg
05-09-2013, 10:12 PM
Your reviews were fun and informative, thanks. I have differing opinions on some, but that's what's great about having so many choices.

Mickey'sGirl
05-10-2013, 08:44 AM
I'm thinking that lunch with an imagineer is something we should look into at some point. ;)

Thanks for your reviews.

fanofdisney
05-10-2013, 10:02 AM
Wow this is a great post. Thank you for your thorough reviews :mickey:

LittleLady
05-11-2013, 09:04 AM
Thanks for taking the time to write these reviews. They were very enjoyable to read. Now I want to go to 'Ohanas, you have convinced me to book it for our August trip.

ransam
05-29-2013, 03:52 PM
I just got a reservation for Be Our Guest!!!!
anyone have a review?

DANAM
05-29-2013, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the reviews. I was considering a lot of these places for our December trip.

MississippiDisneyFreak
05-30-2013, 09:58 AM
Yum, I'm hungry now thanks for the reviews

ransam
10-03-2013, 05:43 PM
A couple new reviews.
Just got back a couple weeks ago and added a couple new ones.

Fultons-Dinner
we used the dining plan and it cost two dining credits.
The food was awesome. atmosphere was really good. I had a steak and it might have been the best steak I had ever had, well, up to that point. things changed later. LOL.
I liked it because it was downtown Disney. We had kind of a late reservation, so by the time we were done Downtown Disney was hopping. I highly recommend this.

Sanaa-Dinner-Animal Kingdom Lodge-
this dinner was interesting. first of all you dine looking at a savannah with animals out side. I liked this. It was really kind of a laid back atmosphere. the food was so tasteful. SOme or it very good taste and some not so good. I had no idea what to order, so the waiter was very and I man very patient and he helped me order. I had some flat bread w/ sauces for appetizer. I had nine sauces. 3 mild, 3 medium, and 3 hot. one of the hot sauces could have taken paint off the walls, all the sauces were tastey.
for dinner had a combination of 3 different meats, the waiter ordered them. the creamy chicken was incredible.
for desert had a fruit moose. it was so good, but I've never had anything so small. maybe the size of half dollar coin.
I will go back to this restaurant.

Be our guest-Lunch-
don't be fooled by the long line or wait time. they said 40 minutes but it was only 25 minutes. and well worth it. dining in the hall is awesome. so beautiful.
had a tuna salad the first time and very good, and the pot roast on the second visit. both delicious. you order and then sit at a table and they will bring the food to you. for desert they have the most awesome cupcakes ever.
you can use a counter service for the lunch and a snack credit for an extra cupcake.
if you can't get dinner reservations, use the lunch. you won't regret it.

Rose and crown-Epcot-dinner
awesome steak. we ate early. if you can, try dine later around 8 or 9 so you can see illuminations. it would be a great view.
it was a great dining experience.

The California Grille-dinner
I went as a kid, and what I remember it was great, but never remembered why. after dinner, I now know why.
this was awesome. watched the fireworks from the walkway. great view, and they pipe in the music. then dinner.
we had a ribeye and I might say, holy crud. this was soooooo good. they had some sauce on top. I swear, if there wouldn't have been people around, I might have licked the plate. LOL.
IT is the best steak I have ever had.
2 dining credits, but so worth it.

SBETigg
10-03-2013, 06:54 PM
California Grill is a big favorite for me, too. The whole experience is outstanding. I'm glad you had fun, and good meals.

Middle of the Map
10-17-2013, 04:28 PM
Very nice reviews. I wish/hope Disney is paying attention to sites like this one, and using the comments to improve things at places like the SciFi Drive-In, for example.

Pocahontas
10-17-2013, 06:20 PM
Oh my goodness, this must have taken you quite awhile to write. Thank you so much! It was very informative and also made my mouth start watering! Can't wait for our next trip!

MouseHouser
10-24-2013, 06:49 AM
I agree with so much of your review. Boma is always on our short list. Love the atmosphere, soups, and the exotic spices they use in most dishes.

Speaking of atmosphere, I think the San Angel Inn has it in spades. And I love to break out the old Espanol and chit chat with the wait staff. I've often heard the it said that the food is nothing special, and I guess that might be so, but I just love Mexican food, so I'm easy to please there.

'Ohanas is on the list too. We brought my sis and her little ones there, and they just loved the entertainment and activities. We just love being at the Poly in general.

Re Chefs de France, I've heard quite a few complaints about the service, but our experience was very good. And the setting is great too, imo. I kind of enjoy having the tables close to each other, just like most places in Paris. You tend to mingle more.

Thanks for the reviews.

ransam
07-08-2014, 04:01 AM
I have two more dining reviews that I experienced on my last trip.

Artist Point-Wilderness Lodge
I heard from a fellow Disney fan that this had the best steak on property. I will have to say based on that recommendation, I was very disappointed. The steak was good, not great, and I would list it as maybe a top 10, not top 5 steak on property.
I had a tuna appetizer and that was awesome. Highly recommend that.
The service was excellent, very good wait staff.
The best part was the resort itself. It was one of the coolest resorts I have seen and would to stay there on the day I win the lottery. It was beautiful.

Hollywood & Vine-Hollywood studios
Breakfast.
I actually honestly went here on a research trip. I am going back w/ my son in November and he loves Jake, and all the Disney playhouse characters.
It was wonderful, and I know my son will love it. the food was buffett style, and very good.
they had all the characters walking around and every 20 minutes or so do a show. THey got the kids and some adults involved. It was very lively and entertaining. The hosts of the shows were very enthusiastic and did a wonderful job of putting on a good show.

so that's it till next trip. we have some new places to go, so i'll add more later.

Sewmagickal
07-08-2014, 10:27 AM
What do you think of The Garden Grill in Epcot?

ransam
09-29-2016, 01:26 PM
Some more to add-

O'hana for breakfast-I have to say that this was very disapointing. The only good thing was the characters and atmosphere. My niece loves Stitch, so we went. The breakfast is honestly nothing you couldn't get at your resort. For the price, really not worth it.

Homecoming-Disney springs-excellent. fried chicken. the sides were excellent, the staff couldn't have been any friendlier. The chicken was so tasty. and the best part was the desert. we had a cake that was better than any desert i've had. and i've had a lot of desert. LOL

STK steak house. I can't say enough good about this. It is dressed up, but we went in our disney clothes and we were ok. I can say this was not my favorite meal at DIsney, it might be my favorite meal of all time. I had the ribeye, the sides are seperate but you can share them family style. Each steak comes w/ a topping and sauce. I had crab topping and the sauce was something the waiter recommended. I had it medium well, and it was cooked perfectly. Now it is extemly expensive. But it was so worth it.

Jungle navitagor (or something like that) magic kingdom. Realy disappointing. The food was different, which is ok, as long as it taste good, but this did not. my gf got the whole fish, and when i say the whole fish, i mean the whole fish. she couldn't eat it because the eyeballs were still in it, and she sent it back. i had the chicken, i think, that's how unmemorable it was. I didn't finish it, It just didn't taste good at all. maybe others liked it. now, the atmosphere and back story and design were awesome.

Tusker House for thanksgiving- thought i'd throw this in as we ate there last thanksgiving. It was excellent. Not a big turkery lover but they had 3 different turkeys and they were all so good. I highly recommend if you'll be there for thanksgiving.

Be Our Guest breakfast-MK Not a lot i can say. It was very good. the atmosphere was excellent.

Morimor Asia (I know i spelled this wrong)-disney springs. WOW WOW WOW. I loved this place. sushi was awesome. the ribs fell off the bone. we all shared our meals, and it everything was excellent. the atmosphere was very nice and the wait staff was excellent as well...

well that is all for now.. I should never do these when i'm an hour from lunch, now i'm very hungry. LOL

ransam
09-19-2018, 12:25 AM
Good evening. Got back a couple weeks ago and tried a couple new restaurants I thought I would add.

Garden grill. Epcot. I only went there because there was not a wait as I was going by. I have to say I was very impressed. My sister had wanted to go there the last couple trips and I vetoed it. It just didn’t seem that appetizing to me but it was very good. Comfort food. And a lot of it. I don’t know if I would go out of my way to go here again but I would definitely go back if others wanted too

Yak and yeti ak.
I was very surprised. My waiter was average at best but the food blew be away. Not sure why I have always avoided it but that won’t happen in the future. Everyone needs to try that at least once I think.

Disney-4-Me
10-02-2018, 09:04 PM
Well now I'm rethinking my choices. Thanks for your reviews. We're staying at the Polynesian and I think we'll be adding Ohana.

deedee73
10-06-2018, 07:56 PM
We just tried Yak & Yeti in March and I was surprised how good it was. I also for no particular reason had also avoided this one but this time I really wanted to try it and we all loved it. It was definitely one of our best during the trip. Something for everyone. Our server was great.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Simba's Mom
10-07-2018, 12:07 PM
Thanks for all your reviews. I was very interested in your negative review of Chefs de France. The service has always been poor when I've been there solo-frankly I attributed it to the fact that I've always had servers who are more interested in flirting with the pretty, young girls at nearby tables, and completely ignoring the grandmotherly-type solo. And the last time DH and I went, he's eaten in France many times and he was very disappointed in the food. Others like it, though.