PDA

View Full Version : More Florida questions

Disney4us2
05-07-2013, 12:08 PM
Trying to make the move to Florida. Have a few questions.

Utilities: Are they billed monthly? We get billed every other month in Los Angeles. Are the electric and water billed together? Gas...How is that billed?

Areas of FL.... I have found a few apartments that I would consider. One is in Deland, but it is up near Daytona Beach. How far from WDW? Is it a nice area? The others are in Winter Haven. Again, is it a nice area and how far from WDW. I bank with Partners (have had this account since working at Disneyland). I am trying to find something closer to WDW.

Orlando areas... which ones are nice... which ones are rougher and to stay away from?

Rent apartment or try to buy a house? I won't be getting much from our current house after the reverse mortgage is paid off. I know with renting, I don't have the up keep of a house.

Grocery stores... how are grocery prices in Florida? In LA everything is so expensive.

I am sure I will have more questions down the road. For now the clearing up the house and packing have begun. I may only have a few months to vacate because of the reverse mortgage.

MNNHFLTX
05-07-2013, 01:28 PM
Utilities (typically) are billed monthly; gas and electric are separate and you will have a choice as far as what companies to use (or at least that was the case for us over in the Melbourne area).

Both Deland and Winter Haven are okay, although I would choose Deland over the other. The area is prettier, IMO, and it has a quaint downtown with shops and restaurants. However, I-4 traffic from Deland to Disney World can be downright awful. Besides Winter Haven, you might also want to look at Lakeland. In any case, the traffic on that stretch of I-4 is not nearly as bad, so a drive to Disney World would be much more enjoyable.

Areas to avoid in Orlando--the downtown area is fine, but not the nicest immediately west and south of downtown. The Orange Blossom Trail corridor is pretty seedy too, as well as the Pine Hills area. My favorite areas in Orlando are Winter Park (of course--gorgeous area), Loch Haven, Lake Nona, Lake Mary, Windermere, Longwood, Altamonte Springs (certain neighborhoods there anyway), Baldwin Park and College Park (really like that area--lots of older, quaint homes). Oviedo has become a nice area to live and has really grown since we lived in Central Florida.

Rent or own? That I'm not sure of. I know the real estate crash hit especially hard here a few years back and I'm not sure how much the prices have recovered. It might be a good time to buy, I guess.

I'm sure you'll find grocery prices less expensive than in the LA area. There are some good farmers markets too.

clausjo
05-07-2013, 01:57 PM
My family lives in Clermont and Davenport, about 20 minutes west of the parks. Both areas are nice and have plenty of shopping, movie theaters, groceries, etc. They don't need to get on I-4 at all to go to Disney. I can't remember if they get on I-4 for Universal or not.

Feel free to PM me if you want more info. I can ask my parents and/or sisters for more specific info if you want.

Good luck!

Melanie
05-07-2013, 02:07 PM
I really have no clue on the Orlando area as far as living situation, so I can't offer any advice there. In Tampa, our utilities were billed monthly, but we didn't have a choice of companies (except TV, cable, internet, etc.).

I would say now is a good time to buy. Again, can't speak to the Orlando area, but Tampa was hit pretty hard by the recession, so houses are a good deal over there right now.

Publix! Yay. That's my favorite grocery store chain.

AgentC
05-07-2013, 02:24 PM
I don't have a lot more information than has already been shared.

Electric is usually monthly. Different electric companies service different parts of the state and you have to take whoever services your area unless two service the area.

Water is also usually monthly. It tends to be county based and can be public or private depending on your county.

Gas is not available everywhere. Most people who have gas use it for water heating and cooking so you may find houses/apartments that do not have it. House heat tends to be electric. For example in my county there is gas, but not on my street so if you want gas to cook/heat with you have to order propane.

Since I only visit Orlando and don't live there myself I am not sure of the best places. I have friends in the Windermere area who really like it.

If possible I would suggest a short term rental might be a good idea to make sure you really like the area you pick and then you could buy while the prices are still low.

Publix is awesome. If you shop the sales they are very reasonable.

dnickels
05-07-2013, 02:33 PM
Pine Hills and Paramore are the two main areas to avoid in Orlando but after that there are good & bad areas in just about every town in the area so the more specific you can get in locations the more I/we can help.

When it comes to living arrangements, what are you looking for? Budget-wise? Schools-wise? Close to things to do or further away?

Given that your initial locations range from Deland to Winter Haven I'd REALLY REALLY suggest renting for at least 6 months to a year first. It's just such a big area and you can't get a feel for what it has to offer in terms of neighborhoods or how you'll feel in them from online listings or a few anecdotal replies. You really need to live somewhere and spend a lot of time out seeing the neighborhoods before knowing if it's the right place for you to buy.

While there are a few of us locals on here, you'll get more replies if you find the City Data website and find the Orlando sub forum there. That's really where I'd recommend starting.

Disney4us2
05-07-2013, 03:09 PM
Is the I-4 a toll road. I am used to driving long distances to go anywhere here in CA.

Melanie
05-07-2013, 03:20 PM
There are toll roads, but I-4 is not one of them. I'd suggest buying a SunPass for the toll roads/turnpikes.

Tiggerlovr9000
05-07-2013, 11:28 PM
So surprised to read about your move. I would love to move to Florida. Now we have another reason besides WDW to visit Florida. Sending lots of pixie dust for a safe trip to your new home. Tell Jessica hi for us.

sportsguy2315
05-08-2013, 12:51 AM
Another vote for Publix. When I lived down there on CP (Fall 2011), you could go on their website and go through the circular like you can many at stores. However, what was different (At least for me) was that you're able to pick what store you shop at. From there, as you add items to your virtual grocery list, it would tell you what aisle and where in the aisle to find the product.