PDA

View Full Version : Rope Drop?

DizMagic
05-06-2013, 11:06 PM
How early should you arrive to be at a park at rope drop? For example, if Hollywood Studios opens at 9 a.m., then what time is rope drop? Thanks!

DisneyDINK
05-07-2013, 12:35 AM
Hollywood Studios is kinda unique... now. I got there at about 8:45am for the 9:00am opening and they were already letting people into the park. They didn't let people on the rides, but they let people into the park to queue up for attractions.

Let's assume you are there to ride a whole bunch of rides: If you're doing Dinney transportation be on the first bus. Try to get to the parks 30 minutes before the schediuled opeining. I think you can get to MK and AK a bit later, but that assumes you have control over when you arrive.

You can get there at rope drop and still have a crowd to fight through. My rules:

MK: 15 min early
Epcot: 30 min early (and be at the main entrance, not the International gateway)
DHS: 30 min early
AK: 15 minutes early

I'd be interested to see who agrees/disagrees with me.

Regardless of when you get there - please - relax and have fun!

Pirate Granny
05-07-2013, 07:42 AM
Too funny...only rope drop I have done was a AK when it first opened and normal opening was 7am and we were in line with bunches of people at 6:30... And there weren't that many attractions at the time...but we were excited!!!

ANG
05-07-2013, 08:15 AM
My rules:

MK: 15 min early

Unless you want to see the welcoming show, then I'd be there 30 minutes prior.

I've never done rope drop at any other park. But we will be doing all of them on our next trip. I've also heard HS lets people in early.

Ms. Mode
05-07-2013, 08:25 AM
When we were then in October DH had discontinued their opening "show" and were just letting people in early...really surprised us. I kinda liked that show...hokey but entertaining. :mickey:

DizMagic
05-07-2013, 08:57 AM
Do all the parks usually do an opening show at rope drop? Do you generally arrive 30 minutes early for that?

azcavalier
05-07-2013, 09:25 AM
Do all the parks usually do an opening show at rope drop? Do you generally arrive 30 minutes early for that?

I think that the only park that does an opening show anymore is the Magic Kingdom. I would definitely get there about 30 minutes early.

DHS lets people in about 15-20 minutes early. The attractions are not running, but the stores are open and the fastpass machines are operating.

Epcot seems to still open on time. Don't know about Animal Kingdom.

k10
05-07-2013, 10:12 AM
always do rope drop here. and always in a resort, so i am off the bus line 15 - 30 minutes early.

...that being said, i then nicely walk to my destination, once inside. it's nice to take in the sights of the parks that you haven't seen in a while, be overwhelmed w/ Cinderella's castle, for example. read the names on the window's on Main St USA. i see these people running, flying on full speed on their scooters to get to their fast pass machines or to be 1st in line. i go to my destination and there's no wait. so i suggest walking, once inside. running around looks a little crazy and you could trip and fall. no one wants to limp on vaca. :mickey: (but deep down i know it's b/c we all love Disney)

#1donaldfan
05-07-2013, 12:09 PM
For "rope drop" at 9 AM be there "at the rope" about 30 minutes prior. Not in line at the entrance, or getting off the bus.....you will miss it !!!! MK does a great show, and the HS one is fun, not as good as if your way back you wont see anything.....AK has a good rope drop opening thing, but when those ropes drop....watch out !!! ahahahahaa you better know where you're going ! EC has the ropes up but no show that I've ever seen...they stop you at the breezeways :mickey:

MickeysBestPal
05-07-2013, 03:27 PM
Here's what's been happening in 2012-2013:

Only MK still offers an actual Rope Drop SHOW along with an inside-the-gates holding area.
MK Gates open approx. 15 min. "early."
But, the Rope Drop show is timed so that guests will actually enter the PARK very near the actual opening time.

MK's Rope Drop Ceremony called "Magic Kingdom Welcome" (see location HERE (http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c265/RoboWDW/Silly%20Stuff/MK-Gates-RopeDrop-043008.jpg).)

Guests are usually admitted starting about 15-20 minutes before
the posted opening time, to WAIT just inside the gates, in front of the train station (near the "flower Mickey face.")

The ceremony lasts 6-7 minutes or so and starts 6-7 minutes before the scheduled opening time.
There is also a "mini" version (far less "hoopla") that lasts about 2-3 minutes.
There is also an "AUDIO ONLY" version (no characters at all) that lasts under minute.
Which one you will see can be tough to guess.

----------------------------------

DAK no longer offers a Rope Drop SHOW,
but still has a "rope" (guest holding area) at a location past the Oasis, near the Tree of Life.
DAK Gates open approx. 15 min. "early," but guests are held behind the rope
until about "straight-up" posted opening time.

Epcot Does not offer an internal Rope Drop SHOW,
AND no longer offers an inside-the-gates holding area.
There might be a "Welcome to Epcot" audio recording played as a chosen family waves "hello"
to other guests, maybe some confetti involved. (But, it is far below what could be called a "Show.")
Epcot gates (including the International Gateway) will likely open approx. 15 min. "early."
(Sometimes, on rare occasions when the park is very busy... as much as 30 minutes early.)

DHS no longer offers a Rope Drop SHOW.
DHS Gates likely open approx. 15 min. "early."
(DHS has opened as much as 30 min. early, but that's not been the case every day.)

AM EMH entrance times seem to not be affected (figure entering 2-10 minutes before the AM EMH time, as usual.)
On AM EMH days, MK will offer some form of their Rope Drop Show
(may or may not be the "full show")
only for AM EMH guests,
and no show at all for the regular hours open time that morning.

As always, for better positioning in the crowds, arrive well before the posted opening time at all parks.