PDA

View Full Version : The "Love Bugs" are back!

WDWdriver
05-04-2013, 01:10 PM
Yes, once again the annoying flying insects known as love bugs are in the air in Central Florida. It's too early to tell how bad the invasion will be this year, but there are already swarms of them here where I live. They will be around for about six weeks.

There's a longstanding urban legend that the love bugs are a genetic mutation released by the University of Florida to control the mosquito population. Not true. They are believed to have been inadvertently shipped from Central America back in the 1800s, settling first in Louisiana and Texas. Later they migrated to Florida.

They don't seem to be as prevalent in the parks, although Disney doesn't spray for them as far as I know. They can be annoying as they fly slowly and aimlessly around, bumping into things and getting into your food and drink. The good news is that they are completely harmless to humans. But they are not so harmless to the paint on cars. You should get them off the front of your car as soon as possible.

disneymom2000
05-04-2013, 10:21 PM
We have them in Texas but not as bad as Florida has them. Thanks for the heads up.

LVT
05-05-2013, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the warning. I will plan on car wash upon arrival. Is there one in WDW?

Main Street Jim
05-05-2013, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the warning. I will plan on car wash upon arrival. Is there one in WDW?The Hess station near Boardwalk has one for sure. I don't think the other two do.

LudwigVonDrake
05-05-2013, 04:47 PM
Only dealt with them a couple of times and they were annoying. All over the place.

TracyL
05-06-2013, 10:02 PM
Definitely wash the car early and often! And if possible, get a nice coat of wax laid down on your car before you come to FL. Makes it easier to get the little demons off.

Also note that for some crazy reason, these pests are very attracted to exhaust gases from cars and other vehicles. So sitting in the front car of the parking lot tram, for example, will give you an up-close encounter with them!

Lindsey
05-07-2013, 01:44 PM
Ugh. I those things drove me crazy when I lived in Orlando. Every time I went out I had to hose down my car when I got home. :bug:

Main Street Jim
05-07-2013, 09:37 PM
WD-40'll get 'em off. :thumbsup:

grumpyguy
05-08-2013, 08:03 AM
Only six weeks..?? We encountered them on a wdw trip in September once.
I think they spray to keep them down at the parks but from what I've seen not at the resorts.I've got pictures of swarms at the bus stops at CS.Thank goodness they don't bite !

minnie-mouse
05-09-2013, 07:21 PM
Yes. We encountered many at the csr pool when we wer there last week. When do they normally come out? We thought they didnt come out til end of may or June. We have been there in mid April before and never saw them.

CU Tiger
05-10-2013, 03:03 PM
It started last week. None on the way down, but they were all over the place when we started back home. It is like they appeared over night?:confused::mickey:

Melanie
05-10-2013, 03:43 PM
Only six weeks..?? We encountered them on a wdw trip in September once.

It's a twice a year thing.

DVC2004
05-10-2013, 03:53 PM
Yes they are awful in September, too. We were at Vero Beach once and the whole side of a building was covered with them. We didn't notice at first and then noticed the wall was "moving". Gross!

mousetrapper
05-14-2013, 10:25 PM
blech.