PDA

View Full Version : Queueless Wait system?

Main Street Jim
05-03-2013, 02:23 PM
Saw something about this elsewhere, and it was dated *2009*? I had never heard anything about it...the article I read said it was tested at RnRC. I don't recall ever seeing anything about it.

Keep in mind, the article is dated 2009:

it appears that testing continues this week but on a larger scale, taking place at the Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster attraction at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Guests wanting to participate are given cards and invited to wait in a stand by area, rather than a stand by queue.

According to TouringPlans on Twitter, this area includes shade, a DJ, merchandise, and Guitar Hero video games and seems to be aimed at entertaining guests comfortably while they wait to ride. The comparison to how a supermarket deli works still stands, as guests are called by the letter-number combination on their cards.

Guests are not required to wait in the stand-by area but must report to the attraction within five minutes of their group being called or they will lose their chance to ride. The normal stand-by and Fastpass lines are still available during the testing.

Is this "system" now part of the RFID thing going on, or...?

SBETigg
05-03-2013, 03:48 PM
It sounds more like what is going on over with the Dumbo rides, which works perhaps with little ones in a circus/carnival type play environment. Not sure it would be a big success with adults. You have to stay close to the ride anyway so that you don't miss your time, and all the distractions wouldn't really make up for the wait, to me. In fact, I might get more annoyed. At least in a queue, you can see your progress and know you're getting closer. Maybe an earlier version of putting games and features in the actual queues.

With the new FP it's going to be more like having an appointment in advance and showing up at the designated time, I think. Not just standing around in one area waiting to be called up. So it doesn't really seem that the two ideas are connected that closely to me. But I could be missing something.

Pop Centurion
05-03-2013, 03:49 PM
Edit: Sherri beat me to it.

I don't recall hearing anything about that either. It sounds like some early ideas for the current Dumbo queueless area.
It could have been an idea that never was green lit but during the building of SC that idea was revived as a perfect plan for dumbo. Which might I say was a great idea.

MickeysBestPal
05-03-2013, 04:34 PM
It sounds more like what is going on over with the Dumbo rides,

It sounds like some early ideas for the current Dumbo queueless area.

That's exactly what it is.

The "NextGen Queue" was tested a couple of times at R'n'RC, then put into use at the new Dumbo "tent."
The queue system was much discussed on other fan sites as connected to the Dumbo tent when the ride and queue design was first revealed.

It was actually more of a surprise that they ALSO included a FP option for Dumbo after spending so much money and effort on the "line-less" queue" area.
As it stands now, guests can EITHER choose the "line-less" queue" (with the pagers)
-OR- the FP entrance, but not both on the same trip to Dumbo.

Figment!
05-03-2013, 10:07 PM
This Rock 'n' Rollercoaster test was posted and discussed back in December 2009 in the News forum:

Queueless wait system testing at RnRC (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=164912)