PDA

View Full Version : ADRs--trying new things

tinksmom02
05-01-2013, 08:45 PM
We don't even leave for our May trip until next week but Monday is the 180 mark for our November trip :mickey:

Because we've been so many times recently, and because I opted for the DDP this time around and because DD will be 11 and therefore an adult, I'm looking to try some new places.

I was thinking about:
Akershus (dinner)
Whispering Canyon Cafe (dinner)
The Wave (dinner)
and Cape May Cafe (dinner) (we actually did this a few years ago but DD finally likes crab legs!)

All of these places have something I think DD would like (she's a big steak eater, and I'm guessing they would be able to omit any sauces she might not like). Worst case, she could order off the children's menu.

Would anyone like to share their opinions on these places, or do you have any other suggestions we might try, places that aren't on most people's "must-do" lists but are worth a try or a hidden gem?

TIA!

dkmwong
05-01-2013, 10:20 PM
Cape May is must for us. If you love, mussels, steamers and crab legs go here. There is also a huge salad bar, dessert table. Yum Yum:thumbsup:

tinksmom02
05-06-2013, 06:28 AM
I just made all my ADRs for November. Started at 6:10am and was done by 6:20am. Got everything I wanted, exactly when I wanted it:

All dinners:
'Ohana on arrival day (our fave!)
Whispering Canyon Cafe (new to us)
Akershus (dinner is new to us)
Chef Mickey's (at DD's request)
Cape May Cafe (we've been and enjoyed it)

I'm sure there will be some scrambling to change (we have relatives in the area who will try to come up, and we did invite my dad along on the trip), but right now there's only 2 of us, so that's what I made the ADRs for.

:mickey: SO glad the November trip is planned but I haven't even started packing for our trip this Friday!

azcavalier
05-06-2013, 09:53 AM
Whispering Canyon Cafe is fun. We've been there multiple times, and your experience will entirely hinge on your server, and how "into" it they are. The food has been pretty consistent. It's good food, comfort food. Ribs, chicken, sausage, beans, mashed potatoes, cornbread, etc. But the servers can either be regular, normal waiters, or they can act the part and be part of the backstory that they have established. If they do that, then it's definitely fun.

Akershus is another we've done many times. We really like it. The "salad bar" actually has a lot of other types of food on it, such as peel 'n' eat shrimp, cheese and meats, fruits, etc. It's almost a meal in and of itself. Then there are the entrees. I recommend the Kjottkake, which is very much like a southern salisbury steak. The rest of the menu is fairly american.

tinksmom02
05-06-2013, 09:56 AM
Whispering Canyon Cafe is fun. We've been there multiple times, and your experience will entirely hinge on your server, and how "into" it they are. The food has been pretty consistent. It's good food, comfort food. Ribs, chicken, sausage, beans, mashed potatoes, cornbread, etc. But the servers can either be regular, normal waiters, or they can act the part and be part of the backstory that they have established. If they do that, then it's definitely fun.

Akershus is another we've done many times. We really like it. The "salad bar" actually has a lot of other types of food on it, such as peel 'n' eat shrimp, cheese and meats, fruits, etc. It's almost a meal in and of itself. Then there are the entrees. I recommend the Kjottkake, which is very much like a southern salisbury steak. The rest of the menu is fairly american.

Thank for the input!

mousetrapper
05-06-2013, 08:21 PM
The only one I've been to on your list is the Wave. Loved it! Food and atmosphere is great.

Enjoy!