PDA

View Full Version : Omg.... Unbelieveable.... Just wow

Disney4us2
04-26-2013, 10:01 PM
We got a call from the discharge planner today at 5:15pm saying they are kicking my father out of the hospital and to make arrangements for him. My brother was told that no orders were written in 5 day... that is not true. Medicare will not pay if orders are not being written.

I can't believe they are kicking a 92yo dying man out to the street. GRRRRRRRR:mad::mad:

We found him a nursing home close to home that will do "comfort care". Medicare does not cover hospice, so that is out. This place does not look the best, but the people there were welcoming, nice and willing to work with us.

We also met with an attorney friend of my brother. We have to rush and have a living trust in place tomorrow. My head is just swimming. As if my father's condition didn't give enough stress. The added situations just don't help.

In the mean time, I found out that my father is drinking milkshakes. My friend brought him one yesterday and he loved it. I brought another one for him for his dinner. It is just heart breaking watching him go through this.

SBETigg
04-26-2013, 10:22 PM
It is heartbreaking. I'm so sorry. The stress and frustration can't be good for any of you.

TinkerbellT421
04-26-2013, 10:45 PM
I am so sorry to hear you all having to go through this. My heart is with you all.

dobby2010
04-26-2013, 11:20 PM
That is awful. So sorry you all have to go through that. Will keep your family in my prayers.

cer
04-26-2013, 11:35 PM
Not right. I'm so sorry.

MississippiDisneyFreak
04-27-2013, 08:27 AM
So sorry:(

VWL Mom
04-27-2013, 09:08 AM
So sorry your going through this. Have you spoken with Medicare regarding what they will or will not cover? I've been down the road you're on and never took what the hospital said as fact. His doctor needs to be involved too.

I found this online, hope it helps.

In California, Medicare pays for a growing portion of hospice costs — more than 82% of it. The rise is partly due to the increasing popularity of hospice care, and also to the increasing number of eligible hospice services available. But there are limits on the amount of care that is covered — and Medicare also imposes specific requirements on who and what services it will cover.

Who Is Covered

Medicare is a federal health insurance program for people age 65 and older, some disabled people under 65, adults who receive Social Security payments, and those with end-stage renal disease. Medicare coverage has two parts:

Part A hospital insurance pays for most inpatient hospital care, some inpatient skilled nursing home care, some home health care, and hospice care.

Part B pays for doctors' services, outpatient hospital care, outpatient physical and speech therapy, some home health care, ambulance services, and some medical equipment and supplies. Those who don’t automatically qualify for Medicare can get its coverage by paying a premium.

For hospice care to be covered by Medicare Part A:

The provider must be certified by Medicare;
A doctor and the hospice medical director must verify that the patient is terminally ill — meaning that he or she probably has less than six months to live if the illness runs its normal course; and
The patient or his or her medical representative must sign a statement choosing hospice care instead of standard Medicare-covered benefits — although Medicare will continue to cover health problems unrelated to terminal illness.
Medicare generally covers an initial 90-day period of benefits once both the patient’s doctor and hospice doctor certify that hospice care is fitting. After that, the hospice doctor is responsible for recertifying the patient, who may elect an additional 90 days of care, followed by an unlimited number of 60-day periods.

Kairi_7378
04-27-2013, 09:12 AM
Sending prayers to you in this frustrating and sad time.

Madame Leona
04-27-2013, 12:19 PM
Have you checked with any of the Christian hospice facilities in your area? A lot of them offer lower cost or even free programs and will work in any way possible with your insurance/Medicare program.
Thoughts and prayers for you family.

tinkwest
04-27-2013, 01:28 PM
It is sad how much work a family has to take care of on their own during these situations, as if they didn't have enough to deal with already. Our family had to move my mom back and forth between quite a few care facilities, hospitals, and home in the last two months of her life. Thankfully the last two weeks or so were spent in one place because those moves were really discouraging to not only our family but more importantly to my mom, the patient.

I hope things settle down soon for you and that your dad can experience some restfulness. Glad he's enjoying his shakes!

I'm praying for you.