View Full Version : Enchanted 10K, Glass Slipper Challenge Announced

Melanie
04-26-2013, 10:47 AM
From runDisney Blog:

A PRINCESS AND A PIXIE:
A NEW RACE, CHALLENGE AND COAST-TO-COAST MEDAL

:princess: :tink:

Hear ye, hear ye,

We now decree that there will be an Enchanted 10K and Glass Slipper Challenge for Princesses looking to make their running dreams come true. We are pleased to announce that the Disney Princess Half Marathon Weekend at Walt Disney World® Resort will be adding a 10K and a new two-race challenge!

The Disney Princess Enchanted 10K will give you a new opportunity to participate in a timed run during the Princess Half Marathon Weekend. And if you're looking for an even bigger challenge, sign up for the 10K on Saturday and the Half Marathon on Sunday (19.3 miles total) to earn the inaugural Disney Glass Slipper Challenge Medal, accompanied by each of the medals from the individual races. New for 2014, the Princess Half Marathon Weekend will expand to February 20-23 and include an additional day for the Expo.

Special Edition Coast-to-Coast Race Challenge

Also new in 2014 is a special edition Coast-to-Coast Race Challenge Medal for runners participating in the 2014 Tinker Bell Half Marathon at Disneyland® Resort in January and the 2014 Princess Half Marathon five weeks later at Walt Disney World Resort. Finishers receive the coveted medal featuring the likeness of Walt Disney and Mickey Mouse with a pink overlay and lanyard.

Registration for the 2014 Princess Half Marathon opens June 11 at runDisney.com. A limited number of runners will have the opportunity to register for both the Princess and Tinker Bell Half Marathon at that time.

Those not securing an early registration for the Tinker Bell Half Marathon will have a second chance when on-line registration officially opens on July 9. Be sure to sign up for a reminder email to be notified when registration opens for both events.

Christine
04-26-2013, 10:50 AM
Rolling out the 10Ks! :thumbsup:

Melanie
04-26-2013, 10:56 AM
Like I just mentioned on Nikki's FB page, I'm not too keen on the female/princess heavy races though. But no doubt this and the challenge and the new coast to coast will pack them in. :thumbsup:

Christine
04-26-2013, 10:59 AM
I'm just so happy to have that middle mileage option! :mickey: :princess:

BriarRose0708
04-26-2013, 11:51 AM
I'm a sucker for pink and princesses, but this is a little excessive to me. I get wanting to strike while the proverbial iron is HOT, and I know I am new to the running community, but I'm not too excited. Although I am sure there are plenty of folks who will/can shell out the :twocents: dinero to do this.

John
04-26-2013, 02:40 PM
Official Press Release:

Princess Half Marathon Weekend Adds New Race, New Challenge and New Medals

Women-focused event to offer 10K, new challenge and special-edition medals fit for a Princess; Special Princess and Tinker Bell half marathon registration available June 11

LAKE BUENA VISTA, FLA (April 26, 2013) - Building on the success of its women-focused events, runDisney is broadening the Disney Princess Half Marathon Weekend at Walt Disney World Resort next year by adding a 10K and a new two-race challenge.

The Princess 10K gives runners of various levels more opportunities to run through Disney theme parks and receive a specially-designed finisher medal. And runners looking for an even bigger challenge can sign up for the 10K on Saturday and the Half Marathon on Sunday (19.3 miles total) to earn the inaugural Disney Glass Slipper Challenge Medal to go along with medals from each individual race.

The Princess Half Marathon Weekend, scheduled for Feb. 20-23, is one of two women-focused runDisney events. The other is the Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend in January at Disneyland Resort in California. Both races are among the largest women-specific running events in the country and focus on healthy active lifestyles for women and girls. For instance, after nearly 7,500 runners ran in the inaugural Princess Half Marathon event in 2009, the popularity of the race has grown considerably with more than 26,000 registered runners for last year’s race.

Also new in 2014 is a special edition runDisney Coast-to-Coast Race Challenge Medal for runners participating in the 2014 Tinker Bell Half Marathon at Disneyland in January and the 2014 Princess Half Marathon five weeks later at Walt Disney World. Finishers receive the coveted medal featuring the likeness of Walt Disney and Mickey Mouse with a pink overlay and lanyard.

Registration for the 2014 Princess Half Marathon opens June 11 at www.runDisney.com. A limited number of runners will have the opportunity to register for both the Princess and Tinker Bell Half Marathon at that time. Those not securing an early registration for the Tinker Bell Half Marathon will have a second chance when on-line registration officially opens on July 9.

-More-

Both the Princess and Tinker Bell Half Marathon weekends include signature runDisney events including a health and fitness expo geared towards women, kids races, a family fun run 5K, as well as featured half marathons for both weekend.

For more information and to register for runDisney events, visit www.runDisney.com.

About runDisney

runDisney is a series of seven event weekends providing runners unique opportunities to run various distances through Disney theme parks. Race participants earn Disney-themed medals, experience legendary Disney entertainment and guest service and ultimately celebrate their accomplishments with a Disney vacation. The original event in the series, the Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend presented by Cigna, takes place in January followed by the Disney Princess Half Marathon Weekend in February, Expedition Everest Challenge in May, The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler in October and the Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon Weekend in November. Disneyland hosts the Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend in January and the Disneyland Half Marathon in September during Labor Day Weekend. More than 125,000 running enthusiasts participate in runDisney events each year. For more information, visit www.runDisney.com and follow us on Facebook (runDisney) and Twitter @runDisney.