PDA

View Full Version : Umbrellas in the parks?

lawgirl
04-24-2013, 05:37 PM
Looks like we may encounter some scattered rain / t-storms on our trip. Are you allowed to take in umbrellas to the parks? I'm thinking about packing those very small dollar store type umbrellas, but wasn't sure if its ok to carry those around the park?

dmallan
04-24-2013, 05:49 PM
Oh sure. We prefer umbrellas to ponchos when it rains. We keep them in our backpack when there's a chance of rain, but leave them in the room if it's supposed to be a nice day.

Strmchsr
04-24-2013, 06:01 PM
Yes, you can. Though I'm the opposite of the above post. I'd always rather go with Ponchos. It's often pretty windy when it rains in FL which can be a pain with umbrellas.

lawgirl
04-24-2013, 06:18 PM
Yes, you can. Though I'm the opposite of the above post. I'd always rather go with Ponchos. It's often pretty windy when it rains in FL which can be a pain with umbrellas.

I think I'll bring both. Thanks! In your expert opinion, (if it was your trip) would you do a park day on this Monday (29th)? I can do either Sunday or Monday for the parks. I was thinking of doing a pool / relax day on Sunday, then do parks all day Monday. I don't necessarily mind dodging the rain, especially if it clears out the crowd. My main concern is we are taking our 2.5 YO son to AK Monday morning, and he hasn't been there since he was a baby, so I wanted to have decent weather for walking around AK. Other than that, we are heading to Epcot late in the afternoon for dinner at GG, then possibly heading to MK for EMH.

Would love your thoughts!!

vamaggie
04-24-2013, 06:47 PM
As long as your DS isn't one to fuss when walking in the rain, I would do AK even if it rains. If it cools things down a bit, the animals may even be more active.

Pirate Granny
04-24-2013, 08:27 PM
Hummm if you are bringing a stroller, rain is sometimes a problem...especially with a rain cover for the stroller

lawgirl
04-24-2013, 08:27 PM
Good point. He actually loves the rain! He always begs to go outside when its raining. I guess I just need to dress us accordingly and go for it!

Strmchsr
04-24-2013, 08:47 PM
Good point. He actually loves the rain! He always begs to go outside when its raining. I guess I just need to dress us accordingly and go for it!

The rain chances are definitely better on Monday. But, it's not much fun to lay out at the pool when it's raining so that's your decision there.

JerseyDad
04-25-2013, 09:10 AM
....we actually had our very first (in 10 WDW trips) ...."rainy day" encounter last August (Hurricane Isaac) ....and had chance to see what was a better option for staying dry.

...personally ...I preferred the umbrella (mini-telescoping type, with a carry strap on the handle). I found that wearing a poncho ....in Florida heat ...after getting slightly wet ....was like being in a moving sauna.

...I did 'give-in' and wear sandals for that day (I HATE SANDALS!! ) ...because it was a better option than getting my favorite sneakers soaked.

DANAM
04-25-2013, 09:51 AM
We have actually had rain for 4 of our 5 trip to Animal Kingdom. Everything has been open and the park was nice and cool. My DH and I do anoracks with umbrellas and we had a stroller cover for the kids. We had our own stroller there with a cover I bought especially for that stroller. I tried using the cover on a Disney stroller too and it did the job. I did take a hand towel from the hotel to wipe our jackets off. We made sure to keep the cover over the stroller when we rode anything so the seat stayed dry.

disney obsessed
04-25-2013, 11:37 AM
I much prefer ponchos. Your hands are free and there is no chance of poking someone in the face. This has happened to me, no fun.

BrerGnat
04-25-2013, 12:41 PM
I prefer the travel umbrella. Ponchos are HOT and in the wind, not much better than umbrellas. The hoods blow off very easily.

The travel umbrellas are actually smaller than the ponchos to carry around too.

tjstrike
04-26-2013, 12:11 AM
Go with the ponchos, especially at AK where you'll need them for kali river rapids anyway.

TheHD
04-26-2013, 02:13 PM
Go with the ponchos, especially at AK where you'll need them for kali river rapids anyway.

No way, that's cheating. You are supposed to ride Kali without ponchos. :laughing:

#1donaldfan
04-26-2013, 03:06 PM
I vote ponchos.....I will wear one on Kali if it's really cold out, otherwise, I always laugh at those who do !!:mickey:

Strmchsr
04-26-2013, 03:39 PM
No way, that's cheating. You are supposed to ride Kali without ponchos. :laughing:

No way! :stop: I'm not about to walk around the parks for the rest of the day in wet shorts and end up chaffed. Give me a poncho any day! :thumbsup:

mechanic
04-26-2013, 04:09 PM
Umbrella.

cer
04-26-2013, 04:44 PM
I vote ponchos.....I will wear one on Kali if it's really cold out, otherwise, I always laugh at those who do !!:mickey:

Now, that's not right, and besides, you're laughing at me!

phillydan
04-26-2013, 05:02 PM
Mini umbrella; when we did ponchos, we were wetter on the inside than the outside! Those things get HOT!

Bonus - when you are broiling in the sun waiting for the 3:00 parade to start, pop open your unbrella (after checking around you - don't want to take out an eye!) and you have instant shade!

And for the record on Kali, we wear swim suits under our clothes to the park and everyone has a small duffel or drawstring bag to hold our clothes and a small towel. The bags can be put in the covered area of the car to stay dry (once, they let us keep one that did not fit on the platform while we rode) . We then do Kali once or twice right away, change into dry clothes in the bathroom and then stuff our bags in a locker by the main gate until we leave. It's not as much of a hassle as it sounds. And it is worth it to avoid the walking around chafe!

TheHD
04-26-2013, 05:17 PM
No way! :stop: I'm not about to walk around the parks for the rest of the day in wet shorts and end up chaffed. Give me a poncho any day! :thumbsup:

Haha! That's exactly what happens and part of the fun and mystery of the ride; who gets the worst of that situation and who gets laughed at the most.

TheHD
04-26-2013, 05:18 PM

Same here :mickey:

lawgirl
05-01-2013, 12:38 PM
Well, the weather cooperated and we didn't need anything at all! Yay! We did hit some rain coming out after illuminations, but we pretty much avoided getting wet. Perfect weather all around.

(Ready to start planning the next trip!)

dmallan
05-01-2013, 05:49 PM
Well, the weather cooperated and we didn't need anything at all! Yay! We did hit some rain coming out after illuminations, but we pretty much avoided getting wet. Perfect weather all around.

(Ready to start planning the next trip!)

Sounds wonderful!