PDA

View Full Version : Big Thunder Mountain Railroad: Refurbishment Watch

Elias1901
04-24-2013, 05:37 PM
Upon viewing the live stream cam-feed of the resort, I noticed that the large yellow crane that was brought in to work on BTMR was still "hanging" around. I am curious if this is quite the eyesore around property or if it is hidden quite well, except around the Big Thunder area.

I heard that BTMR will open again in late Septemeber, however my next DLR trip will be August 12th - 16th (6th - 11th doing other stuff). Now, I am curious if perhaps they may have any slight possibility of re-opening early? Has any attraction in Disneyland's history ever been noted to come back from refurbs earlier than anticipated? I just love Big Thunder Mountain so much and will certainly be bummed to have to miss it (especially considering it will be my friend's first visit).

tinkwest
04-24-2013, 09:46 PM
The crane is less of an eyesore than the walls that go up to partition off attractions being refurbished, IMO. I was aware of it when I was taking pictures of the new Fantasy Faire area, but really, other than that we didn't even notice it. The fact that BTM is off in its own little corner helps hide the fact that something major is going on.

I wouldn't count on seeing BTMRR open as early as August. It seems that ride reopenings are usually calculated out fairly accurately. Any soft openings are usually going to be within a month of reopening.

Elias1901
04-25-2013, 11:20 AM
I wouldn't count on seeing BTMRR open as early as August. It seems that ride reopenings are usually calculated out fairly accurately. Any soft openings are usually going to be within a month of reopening.

Have attractions coming back from refrubs even been known to have soft openings? In most cases I've heard, only brand new attractions have soft openings. I could be wrong on that notion. :confused:

Melanie
04-25-2013, 11:42 AM
I remember coming into the area for the first time in January and being very struck by the crane. In fact, we joked and called it "Craneland". But like Linda said, the walls are a bit of an eyesore as well.

I'm sad it won't be open over the Half Marathon weekend, but I'm excited to ride again in November. A trip to Disneyland (or the MK) just isn't truly complete without going on the wildest ride in the wilderness!

BrerGnat
04-25-2013, 12:37 PM
Have attractions coming back from refrubs even been known to have soft openings? In most cases I've heard, only brand new attractions have soft openings. I could be wrong on that notion. :confused:

Generally, no. They do not come back online early.

They SOMETIMES do soft openings after really long, major refurbishments. However, that is usually only by a day or two ahead of "scheduled" reopen. If they are saying late September, you won't see it open in August. Sorry. :(

Elias1901
04-25-2013, 12:50 PM
I certainly hope that with the closure of BTMR in place, they do not close any other attractions until Big Thunder is back up and running. It is bad enough to have one E-Ticket closed but all I need is one more closure to have a mini panic-attack!

I'm thinking the majority of the rides will remain open as August is still a Summer month. Also, the D23 Expo will only draw in more crowds around that time too. I guess I just got a bit extra-paranoid about things like when I heard about the OSHA closures of attractions such as Space Mountain, Soarin' Over California, Matterhorn, etc.

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad has got to be one of my all-time favorite attractions and has been ever since I was a young boy. I really hate to admit it, but I guess I'll have to prepare myself to accept the fact that my friend simply won't be able to experience one of Disney's greatest Mountain Range attractions. :(

Elias1901
04-30-2013, 12:16 PM
I remember coming into the area for the first time in January and being very struck by the crane. In fact, we joked and called it "Craneland".

I could be wrong but it appears as if the crane is gone. I am just deducing this from the web-feed of the park (not actually in-person). Either they have finished with the crane aspect of the refurbishment or it has only been rotated in such a way to hide behind the peak of the Matterhorn mountain from the angle I am viewing it.

The only part of the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad structure I can see from the live-feed I am viewing, is only the very tallest point of the orange rock peaking from the trees of the park. But again, the crane is either gone or hiding. Is anybody able to confirm or deny this? Yeehaw!! :cowboy:

Melanie
04-30-2013, 01:34 PM
Some fellow INTERCOTees are there right now. I'll ask and get back with you. :)

Melanie
04-30-2013, 01:44 PM
He got right back to me and said yes, it is still there. :(

Elias1901
04-30-2013, 02:31 PM
He got right back to me and said yes, it is still there. :(

Thanks bunch Melanie! That's really a shame... do you where exactly the crane is visible from throughout the park? Obviously right next to BTMR and probably all throughout Frontierland/New Orleans Square, etc.

But can you see it on Main Street? Does it ruin the view of the castle? Fantasyland? Tomorrowland? I'd imagine you'd see it on Splash Mountain and the Matterhorn too. I think Adventureland might be safe just because you're lower down and there trees and buildings of the bazaar blocking high view.

Yungbuck73
04-30-2013, 09:22 PM
Thanks bunch Melanie! That's really a shame... do you where exactly the crane is visible from throughout the park? Obviously right next to BTMR and probably all throughout Frontierland/New Orleans Square, etc.

But can you see it on Main Street? Does it ruin the view of the castle? Fantasyland? Tomorrowland? I'd imagine you'd see it on Splash Mountain and the Matterhorn too. I think Adventureland might be safe just because you're lower down and there trees and buildings of the bazaar blocking high view.
I'm the intercotee Mel was taking about. If u want I can take a few pics tomorrow in DL from a few spots to show where it is and how it shows.

Yungbuck73
04-30-2013, 09:23 PM
Just let me know where u want to see pics. Facebook, twitter or I can send email. Let me know.

Elias1901
05-01-2013, 01:31 AM
Just let me know where u want to see pics. Facebook, twitter or I can send email. Let me know.

That'd be great if you can! If you can't post them to this thread, then use my hotmail email address which can be found in my profile (it is the same as my MSN instant messenger address). :mickey:

tinkwest
05-01-2013, 01:37 AM
Here's how the crane looked last week when approaching Fantasy Faire.

Elias1901
05-01-2013, 10:12 AM
Here's how the crane looked last week when approaching Fantasy Faire.

I guess you'd need to basically suction-cup along the sides of buildings and facades to not see the crane. :cool: I am mostly curious as to if the crane is obstructing the view of Sleeping Beauty Castle (ie: photographs, fireworks).

Melanie
05-01-2013, 10:17 AM
It shouldn't be in any background photos of the Castle. I don't remember that being a problem at all in January. We really didn't notice it at all until we were back in Frontierland. I can see where it would be an issue for the new Fantasy Faire, like Linda posted, because BTMR is behind it. But FF wasn't open in January and we weren't taking pics there.

Elias1901
05-01-2013, 11:55 AM
I think we're gonna just have to grin and bear it if we see it... though it will sting to not be able to ride the wildest ride in the wilderness.

Yungbuck73
05-02-2013, 09:46 PM
Sorry I didn't reply yesterday. It is GONE. no more crane

Elias1901
05-03-2013, 12:02 AM
Sorry I didn't reply yesterday. It is GONE. no more crane

Yes, this is what I suspected. The crane hasn't shown up on the live web-feed in over 2 days now... based on what others had said, I thought it was hiding behind the Matterhorn.

I became suspicious of the crane's existence again after I hadn't seen it for a couple days. This is very good news for me! Thank you for the update Yungbuck!! :thumbsup:

Yungbuck73
05-03-2013, 12:07 AM
The day Mel asked me was our day off from the parks but it had been there on Monday. Glad it won't be there for you. And that's what we do for each other. Anytime.

Elias1901
05-03-2013, 11:02 AM
The day Mel asked me was our day off from the parks but it had been there on Monday. Glad it won't be there for you. And that's what we do for each other. Anytime.

Again, thank you for the report. :tiphat:

I was just worried mostly that it would get in the way of our photo-taking and also be an eyesore as far as keeping the "theme" goes... also, I can't imagine it would make Fantasmic! any more "fantastic".

Elias1901
05-29-2013, 03:16 PM
I was speaking with a Cast Member friend a little while back and they mentioned that the tracks are still missing from the coaster. Can anyone confirm this? Is it possible to peek at the progress or is it all walled-off by tall work walls?

Disney4us2
05-29-2013, 06:04 PM
We were there on Friday (24th). The walls are up. They are tall walls done in wood to look like the frontier. You may be able to peek in between the boards. I didn't try. The crane was gone though.

Elias1901
05-30-2013, 04:31 PM
We were there on Friday (24th). The walls are up. They are tall walls done in wood to look like the frontier. You may be able to peek in between the boards. I didn't try. The crane was gone though.

Yes, but when you are walking around the side of the mountain (heading towards the Big Thunder BBQ area) there is a truss over the water with a banked turn. That can't be walled-off too, can it? If not, are there any tracks on it?

What about the tracks that lead in and out of the mine tunnel "shacks" on the same side of the mountain? There must at least some vantage points you can peek at around the water.

tinkwest
05-30-2013, 07:22 PM
The walls cover the views from the Rancho del Zocalo restaurant tables and follow the walkways from the restaurant, around the attraction entrance, and up behind the mountain all the way to Fantasyland.

Elias1901
05-31-2013, 11:56 AM
The walls cover the views from the Rancho del Zocalo restaurant tables and follow the walkways from the restaurant, around the attraction entrance, and up behind the mountain all the way to Fantasyland.

Thanks tink! Just the info I needed. :)

tinkwest
08-06-2013, 02:56 PM
Here's a peek behind the walls of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpYYTRvKcZY)

seanyred
08-21-2013, 09:13 AM
I have read on several other sites that BTMRR refurb has been delayed and won't open till February. Anyone know if this is true or just a rumor.

If it is closed I till February then I hope the December refurb of Space Mtn is pushed back. I just don't want both mountains to be down for our December trip.

Carol
08-21-2013, 04:15 PM
Nothing has been announced officially. I will be very mad if it is since it was down in January during my last visit.

BadBoyBill
08-24-2013, 05:34 PM
They just announced Big Thunder is now closed till 2/15/2014 :-(

seanyred
10-01-2013, 09:52 PM
The Disney Blog posted yesterday that BTMRR is expected to open in Winter 2014 meaning anytime between January and March 2014. This stinks for my family since we are making our trip in December 2013. I was really hoping it would be up by December. Oh well...we will still have fun anyway.

tinkwest
10-01-2013, 10:26 PM
The signage at Disneyland (around the Big Thunder Mountain area) has changed as well. Disappointing on one hand yet on the other hand better that things are getting done right the first time rather than opening and then closing again soon after to "fix" things. Will keep updating with more specific dates in the Refurbishment thread (http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=201679) as they are officially announced by Disney.

Gator
10-18-2013, 03:46 PM
Seems like it takes longer to refurb it than to originally build it! My son won't be too happy next month.

Elias1901
01-13-2014, 05:28 PM
I'm jumping back into my old thread again. :blush:

I can't believe that Disneyland has pushed BTMRR's return from the 31st of last October to early this year... this is getting to be quite an extensive length of time for an attraction refurb. I just finished booking our next vacation to Disneyland. We are visiting from February 27th through March 3rd.
Big Thunder must be up and operational by then, right? Right? RIGHT!? ... my God... I hope so!!

tinkwest
01-13-2014, 06:56 PM
Currently scheduled for a February 1st reopening.

Elias1901
01-14-2014, 10:33 AM
Currently scheduled for a February 1st reopening.

Then we theoretically should be safe. :mickey:

Elias1901
01-21-2014, 11:53 AM
I have heard that Big Thunder Mountain Railroad's opening may be delayed until sometime in March.*

My response:

This had better not be the case. February 1st must be the re-opening. We have already went on two "wasted" (as far as riding BTMRR is concerned) trips... and if this happens again, Disney is going to have no mister nice guy to deal with, they will be getting an earful from me. We went in August of last year when it was down. And okay, I'll give them that. It was fully announced at the beginning of the year and made known to everyone. So, while dissapointed, we were okay with this.:sob:

The spectacular and triumphant return of Big Thunder was to be Halloween night, October 31st. "Oh great! Let's book another trip then!", we said. Oh, what's that? Big Thunder isn't ready? We were very bitter about that but managed to work our blood pressures down after much dissapointment in our travel party. Even for myself, Thunder is one of my, if not my favourite attraction! Then after chatting with a CM... AT LENGTH... on the phone, she says that it is "almost gauranteed" that it will make it's new deadline of February 1st... and then they officially announce it. After some debating after what happened to us the last couple times, we hesitantly booked a trip for the very end of February and very early in March. :goodbad:

Yes, I get it. Attractions are complex things... but the attraction operated fine before the rehab, so what's the issue when you're supposed to be IMPROVING things??? As I mentioned, we've already booked a trip for February 27th - March 3rd to celebrate Big Thunder's return on the first of February... if this is not going to be the case... god... I am going to be furious! Stark raving mad, I tells ya! :doh:

And Disney... if you're reading this... I don't care what you have to do to get this done, just get it done by the 2nd deadline you've made, breaking the original was bad enough. I don't care if you have to beg and plead and re-hire Imagineering legend, Tony Baxter back onto your team full-time to get his attraction back and running. JUST DO IT. You are not Darth Vader! You cannot alter the deal further and get away with it every time you do! You keep sucking money away from other guests and myself included, when we make arrangements based on your re-opening dates. We are all eagerly awaiting the return of Thunder. Remember us? :wait:

This all better be untrue for Disney's sake. Somehow, I doubt they would have it up by exactly March 1st if this all goes down the way it is rumored. Perhaps a week or two in. But I doubt the very start of the month the way this is trending. Currently, the Disneyland Resort operations calendar still has it set to re-open after January 31st. I really hope all of this nonsense is false. Geez, get someone on this project that knows what they're doing! NO MORE WAITING! :blowup:

*This portion edited by moderator.

Elias1901
01-23-2014, 03:29 PM
I have heard that Big Thunder Mountain Railroad's opening may be delayed until sometime in March.

Yep. Looks like things have pretty much all went according to what hear-say suggested. As of this afternoon, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is listed as being under refurbishment from now through March 6th, 2015... which is the last date available on the Disneyland Resort calendar... it actually could potentially be down for longer, much longer. This is really getting crazy! Well, there goes our 3rd trip attempt to try and make it on this ride when they said they'd be opening... :mad:

tinkwest
03-07-2014, 09:03 PM
:train: The wildest ride in the wilderness is scheduled to reopen on March 17!

Yee Haw! :cowboy: :cowgirl:

Melanie
03-08-2014, 08:04 AM
:train: The wildest ride in the wilderness is scheduled to reopen on March 17!

Yee Haw! :cowboy: :cowgirl:

Woohoo! Glad it's finally opening back up.

Melanie
03-08-2014, 09:22 AM
From the Disneyland AP FB page:

Be among the first to preview the return of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad on March 13-16. Passholders can visit the Big Thunder Mountain Railroad FASTPASS distribution location on the day of the event to receive a FASTPASS ticket, or wait in the stand-by queue.

For complete event details: http://di.sn/pSm

Valid AP required. Space is limited. Please check AP blockout dates to ensure the ability to enter the theme park. Subject to change.

Elias1901
03-10-2014, 10:17 AM
Guess we'll have to see if we can make it out for HalloweenTime...

2Epcot
03-10-2014, 09:55 PM
Looking forward to trying out the new Thunder Mountain. I love that Disneyland will actually take attractions like this, and Space Mountain down for a year or more to replace the entire track, and make the rides better. Some of the new effects that I've seen in video clips look great.

tinkwest
03-10-2014, 10:28 PM
Trains are running today. Cast preview.

Disney4us2
03-11-2014, 10:43 AM
My friends (CM and family) went on it yesterday. Said it was great and much smoother.:thumbsup:

Melanie
03-11-2014, 10:44 AM
My friends (CM and family) went on it yesterday. Said it was great and much smoother.:thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

2Epcot
03-11-2014, 08:55 PM
I'm going to go on Thursday for the AP preview.

2Epcot
03-13-2014, 10:43 PM
Rode it about mid-day today. Lines were short. I rode it 3 times with waits between 10 and 15 minutes each.

Today was a preview day for Annual Passholders. I heard a lot of non-passholders saying that's "stupid", that they could not ride. CMs did their best to let them down nicely.

Love the refurb of the ride. The ride is much smoother. Reminds of how Disneyland's Space Mountain rides after it had its major refurb several years ago. The new ride vehicles look to me just like the old ones ... They didn't make any radical changes that I could notice.

The new effects look great. My only issues was, 2 out of my 3 rides, some effects did not work. Hopefully that is something they are still working out.

Very happy with Big Thunder ... Worth the long downtime to have a much better attraction.

Melanie
03-14-2014, 06:31 AM
Thanks for the review, Chris! I'm excited to ride it in October.

Disney4us2
03-14-2014, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the review.... sigh... almost makes me wish we still lived in California. Really miss Disneyland.

BrerGnat
05-06-2014, 04:46 PM
Been here three days and still haven't ridden. It has been broken down every time we have tried. I'm pretty irritated at this point.

BrerGnat
05-09-2014, 01:46 PM
Finally rode! Love the changes snd the track was smooth as butter. Great ride!

2Epcot
05-12-2014, 06:37 PM
Finally rode! Love the changes snd the track was smooth as butter. Great ride!

Glad you finally got to ride! Natalie, did you get the full explosion effect at the end (lots of smoke)? This is one of those effects that seems to be hit and miss.

BrerGnat
05-12-2014, 06:52 PM
Yes, I got the full smoke effect, but I think there were also supposed to be some projections on the walls during that part that I did not see. I saw them on a YouTube video afterwards.