PDA

View Full Version : family t-shirts in the parks?

waymickey
04-22-2013, 10:52 AM
Do you wear family Tshirts to the parks? what do you think when you see the families wearing matching shirts? I am thinking of doing this for the first time. :mickey:

ibelieveindisneymagic
04-22-2013, 11:31 AM
We usually do one or two days ... I know it is geeky, but I don't care!

I love them ... last time it was our tie-dye Mickey ones, and I think we'll be taking them again. :)

buzznwoodysmom
04-22-2013, 11:38 AM
We don't do matching clothes. I used to match my boys when they were younger, but they might kill me at the slightest suggestion of it now. LOL. DH has never been into Disney clothing much less us all matching. He would never go for it.

Sometimes I think it's cute when I see a really clever shirt, but a lot of times it does look a bit cheesy to me. I am sure the families that do the matching shirts enjoy it so great for them!

BrerGnat
04-22-2013, 11:39 AM
No, it's not for us.

I don't really care if others are doing it. Whatever. But, it's something my family would never consider.

azcavalier
04-22-2013, 01:03 PM
We will do it...kind of. I work at Virginia Tech, so usually once a trip is "Hokie Day", where we each wear a VT shirt. But they are usually not the same shirt.

Once, a few years ago, we had shirts made, mocking the shirts found at other theme parks when you get off rides...such as, "I survived 'The Grizzly!'" or "I survived 'The Loch Ness Monster'". In a horrifying font, mine said, "I survived 'Spaceship Earth!'". My son's said he survived It's A Small World, my older daughter survived the Jungle Cruise, my other daughter survived Journey Into Imagination with Figment, and my wife survived the Hall of Presidents.

Most people didn't get them. They looked confused. They would even question them...,"But those aren't scary rides??" Yes, we know. They're the complete opposite. That's what makes them funny. Oh well.

caryrae
04-22-2013, 01:38 PM
We haven't but I can see it as a good why to find the people your with in a crowd. If I lose site of someone the clothes seem to be the thing helps me see them.

Ms. Mode
04-22-2013, 03:22 PM
Nope! My family refuse...although I do like the idea of giving my SIL an "I survived It's A Small World" T-shirt. :blush:

mechanic
04-22-2013, 03:46 PM
Never done it, but love the idea. Especially cool if you have a large family or social group.
Maybe cause no one else in family likes disney and I'm jealous of the big family groups that have fun together.

indytraveler
04-22-2013, 04:23 PM
We did this a few times. We were just a party of 7, so it wasn't all that bad. We used obvious colors so we could find each other in a crowd. Colors like Orange, Teal, Maroon.

Haven't done this in a while but we have 15 going this December so who knows?

MrPeetrie
04-22-2013, 05:20 PM
Every year I am adamant that we are going to wear matching T-shirts on at least one day and every year I am vetoed down. I still have hope.

At least, we each wear some piece of Disney apparel each day.

dmallan
04-22-2013, 06:06 PM
I've read on another board of a family who always wears matching t-shirts and they have been chosen to be family of the day to open MK, ride a float in the various park parades, etc. I guess it's one way to be noticed!

Pally
04-22-2013, 06:16 PM
I thought it was pretty cool that the "Icot family" at the October meet wore the yeti shirts. Haha too cute and fun.:mickey::thumbsup:

Pirate Granny
04-22-2013, 07:41 PM
I just purchased tshirts on sale at Disney.com for our next family trip...I do like the idea of everyone in the same color as it is easy to locate stragglers.

Pop Centurion
04-22-2013, 07:50 PM
My Wife & I did the bride & groom shirts on our honeymoon & last year we did those soul mates t-shirts & received a lot of compliments a questions on where we got them. Mickey & Minnie also made a big deal out of them. That helped me feel less "geeky".

Kairi_7378
04-22-2013, 10:26 PM
We don't do matching t shirts (I was VERY tempted by a few sets I found on Etsy!) I can not get myself to pay money for shirts that DH and DS will only wear once a year or so.

We do have "theme" shirt days from time to time. (At least for DS since he is still young enough to wear what I tell him.) We wear Mickey shirts on our travel day, Kermit shirts to DHS, etc. Sometimes we have a "Drexel Day" or a "other cool theme park we've visited" day.

TheHD
04-22-2013, 11:20 PM
We are going to try them out this year. Still in the design phase. We bought plain t-shirts and are designing them ourselves, then printing them out onto iron-on material.

I hope it works out well and I really hope the ink doesn't run with the humidity and or rain; that would be embarrassing.

kakn7294
04-23-2013, 08:24 AM
We have done it a few times - most recently, DH and I had matching shirts for the marching band trip that we just chaperoned. In the past, we've done Steeler jerseys on game day - and have taken the time to watch said game, either at the ESPN Club or in our room. We've never done matching Disney shirts.

waymickey
04-23-2013, 09:59 AM
We will do it...kind of. I work at Virginia Tech, so usually once a trip is "Hokie Day", where we each wear a VT shirt. But they are usually not the same shirt.

Once, a few years ago, we had shirts made, mocking the shirts found at other theme parks when you get off rides...such as, "I survived 'The Grizzly!'" or "I survived 'The Loch Ness Monster'". In a horrifying font, mine said, "I survived 'Spaceship Earth!'". My son's said he survived It's A Small World, my older daughter survived the Jungle Cruise, my other daughter survived Journey Into Imagination with Figment, and my wife survived the Hall of Presidents.

Most people didn't get them. They looked confused. They would even question them...,"But those aren't scary rides??" Yes, we know. They're the complete opposite. That's what makes them funny. Oh well.

great idea.:mickey:

I was thinking of doing mickey heads on front with saying onthe back. It is my Dd birthday so Hers would say its my birthday, I am all about mickey so mine will say show me the mouse and my Dd would say I don't do matching shirts or I am paying for it all. It is jsut three of us but I thought it would be cute to do once.

tinklover
04-23-2013, 10:34 AM
My DBF and I usually have 1 day where we wear the same tshirt as well as my 2 DDs. This year I am sewing all the shirts for my DDs and my neice. They will all 3 match except for their BBB day. Their shirts will have their fav princess appliqued on the front. Speaking of, we leave in 2 weeks and I have so much sewing to do. UGH

crltkcagle
04-23-2013, 11:19 AM
We will wear matching colors but I dress my three boys identical the entire vacation. They hate it but they are so much easier to find!

blondeinbrandon
04-23-2013, 12:00 PM
We just did this for the first time. Friends had their 20th anniversary and we all had special purple shirts to wear. It was really fun :mickey:

FLKatie912
04-23-2013, 04:28 PM
Do you wear family Tshirts to the parks? what do you think when you see the families wearing matching shirts? I am thinking of doing this for the first time. :mickey:

My family does it, my friends do it. I think it make for great photos!

I'm in my late-20s and my friends came down and we did Tie Dye Mickey one day, match shirts different colors another, Christmas colors for the Christmas party, and Harry POtter themed shirts for our Universal day.

Mickey'sIrishPAl
04-24-2013, 11:07 AM

We do the same only we are Notre Dame fans. We always have one day that we sport a Fightin Irish T-shirt just the 4 of us.

Go Irish!!!!

BTW...I think your, "I survived" T- shirts were hilarious. I would have definitely said something to you and shared a laugh.

#1donaldfan
04-24-2013, 12:33 PM
I would like my kids to go with me, so I will not suggest that !! :cool: We have worn Steeler Jersey's or T's durning the playoffs, or Superbowl.....It's great to see how many Steeler fans there are, once at EPCOT it seemed as though EVERYONE was wearing a Steeeler shirt !!!! :mickey:

eandrsmom
04-24-2013, 12:38 PM
We are one of those families that wears matching colors, but not matching shirts. My DD5 may wear a red Minnie dress, etc. There are six of us, so it makes it much easier to keep an eye on everyone when we all wear the same color. I usually don't buy anything special, I just try to pack
bright, coordinating colors like yellow, orange, green, etc. I must admit, our family pictures at the parks look better when we all match.

MadisonvilleMouse239
04-24-2013, 01:39 PM
Myself, DH, and DS wore matching minion shirts to Universal last year. We had a blast. We got called out by cast members all day for cool stuff. We heard "Hey, it's the Minion Family" all day long. It was great. My son especially liked all the attention.

Mendelson
04-25-2013, 12:38 PM
At the National Zoo recently I saw a family in matching camouflage shirts with the words "Buck Wild" on them. (I googled this to learn that it was a TV show that was on for about a month.) They had variations on the words "Buck Wild," some of which had phrasing so that "Buck" was used in place of the rhyming curse word.

I had a word for them: Classy

minnie04
04-25-2013, 04:44 PM
When the kids were little and we went with a bunch of families w/kids about 15 total (kids). All the kids wore Miami Heat jersey's to the park even the little ones it was great!! As far as our family wearing "matching t-shirts" nah it's not for us. I did however make sure the kids always had something Disney on when we would go. I will wear my Mickey shirt still and DH wears His Grumpy. It's funny he isn’t into Disney as much as I am, but he always wears Grumpy it's his theme from all the kids and it has stuck with him now, but he is never in a Grumpy mood (ever) so I don’t know where it came from.. Oh well. I do think it's cute when families wear there "family" shirts. :mickey:

We are going this weekend and yes we will all be "WHITE HOT" for the Heat!!! GO HEAT

tjstrike
04-26-2013, 12:07 AM
Ahhhhhhh... no. :nono:

joonyer
04-26-2013, 11:31 AM
When our boys were younger we did this on one of our trips and they thought it was great. We had matching shirts for each day of the trip, team shirts one day, same color plain t-shirts and even made our own homemade tie-dyed shirts before the trip. We didn't care (and still don't) whether others may have thought it was corny or sappy, it gave us a good family "vibe" and made it easier to spot the kids, (or for them to see us) in a crowd. After they got to be older teen-agers they were not as keen on the idea, which was fine, but we are planning another family trip to WDW this fall and they have told us they want to make matching tie-dyes like we did in the "old days" to relive those childhood memories. We don't care if anybody thinks it's dumb, it makes us smile. Heck, I may even wear jorts and sandals with socks just to let out my inner nerd. To each their own!

Mickey'sIrishPAl
04-26-2013, 11:46 AM
When our boys were younger we did this on one of our trips and they thought it was great. We had matching shirts for each day of the trip, team shirts one day, same color plain t-shirts and even made our own homemade tie-dyed shirts before the trip. We didn't care (and still don't) whether others may have thought it was corny or sappy, it gave us a good family "vibe" and made it easier to spot the kids, (or for them to see us) in a crowd. After they got to be older teen-agers they were not as keen on the idea, which was fine, but we are planning another family trip to WDW this fall and they have told us they want to make matching tie-dyes like we did in the "old days" to relive those childhood memories. We don't care if anybody thinks it's dumb, it makes us smile. Heck, I may even wear jorts and sandals with socks just to let out my inner nerd. To each their own!

Spot on. You do it...I do it to make your/my family and I happy. Not really concerned what others think. Not on vacation for others and if it brings joy to my group and gives them something to look forward to pre-trip, then it serves its purpose. :mickey:

ANG
04-27-2013, 01:15 PM
We each wear a Disney shirt that may be specific to that park. Like if we are at HS, DH will wear Star Wars and DS1 will wear muppets. Or wear a Mickey shirt at Chef Mickey's, etc. Sometimes we adults can't always have enough Disney shirts, but my boys certainly do.

ANG
04-27-2013, 01:16 PM

Most awesome!

Kairi_7378
04-27-2013, 03:43 PM
We saw a family last year who were celebrating one couple's 50th Anniversary. They all wore shirts with a wedding photo and something like "Celebrating Mom and Dad's Magical 50 years." It was really cute.