PDA

View Full Version : Rides/Attractions with a 1yo?

Scotcelebrity
04-22-2013, 10:28 AM
We will be going to all 4 theme parks in July and am wondering what can we really do with our 1 year old son. We have been to WDW dozens of times with kids but never with a toddler. We are staying on property at SOG and our son is very adventurous, so a scare factor doesn't really seem to be a problem. Any ideas so I can start making a touring plan?

Butters
04-22-2013, 10:56 AM
Anything without a height requirement... That's the plan we followed and it worked out great.

AgentC
04-22-2013, 11:30 AM
With my kids, I found that we could really do anything without a height limit at that age. Most toddlers don't develop fears until they are older. I found it harder to tour with a two year old than a one year old.

The only really issue we had was loud noise in some of the shows. Some toddlers are more sensitive to noise and unless you have been in an theater environment with them before it can be hard to judge. I tried to sit near the end of the row in case I had to leave.

As far as things my children really liked as toddlers-

MK- It's a Small World (huge favorite), Peter Pan, Dumbo, TTA, Carousel, Jungle Cruise.

Hollywood Studios - Little Mermaid, Beauty & the Beast Show, Disney Junior Show, Muppets

Epcot- Living with the Land

Animal Kingdom - Safari ride, Triceratops Spin.

My children also really enjoyed meeting characters at that age.

borisfam
04-22-2013, 12:43 PM
We took our son when he was 9 months and again this past year a 1 year old.

Disney is great with a toddler. Just make sure your expectations are realistic and you'll have a blast.

We didn't think our son would react well to the characters, but he loved them, and we spent lots of time waiting in line for meet and greets - something we vowed we would never do.

Keeping a normal schedule of naps and meals was important, and kept meltdowns to a minimum.

Just be flexible and follow your child's lead and you should have a great time.

Oh, and be sure to find and use the baby stations in each park. They're clean, well stocked and a nice cool, quiet spot to get away when things get overwhelming. It also boasts the cleanest (and probably least used) men's room in the entire park.

Have fun!

AmandaChan
04-23-2013, 08:21 AM
We did okay taking our 13 month old a couple years ago but we made the mistake of taking him on the movie ride first. That ride is a heck of a lot louder than I remember. He did okay on pirates, small world, peter pan, kilamanjaro, backlot, muppet vision, we took him into art of animation and did that preshow, just stayedin the back in case we had to leave abruptly. We took him on a train at the zoo yesterday for his third birthday and he loved it and we told him to say "jambo" and he said it like a million times the train ride !! :mickey: I can not wait to take him back next year!!! :mickey::mickey:

indytraveler
04-24-2013, 12:00 AM
Our 1st trip as a family was with a 2 & 4 yo. The next year we had our third and went every year for about 9 more yrs. We didn't spend much time on the mountains the first few years but lots of time on POTC, Jungle Cruise, Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, Buzz, Small World, Dumbo. Our FP's were those rides several times. As much as I hated to admit the little ones were in charge of what we did and when we did it. If they were tired we were tired. But in the MK they didn't tire as easily.

That's a fun age, enjoy it with them in the parks

AmandaChan
04-24-2013, 08:37 AM
oh also wanted to mention that my son took a nap on COP and it was so sweet bc my husband loves that attraction. also he loved people mover :) we rode it three times, he fell asleep on it twice and they let us stay on and continue riding it.