PDA

View Full Version : little guy, teenager

thejens
04-20-2013, 12:11 AM
We are planning a trip this September, probably 2 days at Universal and 7 at WDW. Never have been at this time of the year. Is it less crowded than April, May, June?

Since my kids will be 9 and 15 this year, I may find it harder to manage doing it all "my way" which is to get up early and do every attraction in the park.

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions re. dealing with little kid and big kid. I loved going with my young boys. But it's been a few years and now I have a surly teenager!

Scott C
04-20-2013, 03:44 PM
Depending on the maturity level of the 15 YO--let them do what they want within reason. There is no reason at that age that they have to hang out with parents. Give them their space, and you might just find that they will want to hang with you. They just need to know that is their choice.

Thanks
Scott C

Pirate Granny
04-20-2013, 03:52 PM
The 15 yr old has to stay in the same park, and walk in with you. They changed the age limit just recently.

VWL Mom
04-20-2013, 04:13 PM
The 15 yr old has to stay in the same park, and walk in with you. They changed the age limit just recently.

The new age is 14 so a 15 year old can enter a park by themselves.

LVT
04-22-2013, 06:50 AM
I would also ask the 15 year old 1. for advice on which things he particularly liked at his brother's age.
2. If there are a few things he would like to ride or do with his brother, rather than "a parent".
The age difference will be moot shortly and the bonding is important.

Mickey'sGirl
04-22-2013, 08:53 AM
Your boys are the very same age as my boys. Last summer, we found ourselves giving a lot of freedom to our older son, and at times he decided to go back to the resort to read. After some cool, quiet time to himself, he was ready to continue on with the rest of us at a later time. This worked really well, and we all had a good time. We usually let one or other of the boys determine our plans (including food), and we find this is another way to keep everyone engaged.

I hope you have a terrific time!

SBETigg
04-22-2013, 09:00 AM
My kids at the teenager stage did not like me to push to stay on schedule. I had to be more subtle. With the right incentive, they were ready to get moving early but not every day. Allow some flexibility and freedom to sleep in for at least a few of the days and you will probably all be better off.

indytraveler
04-24-2013, 12:08 AM
I guess my teenage girls are the exceptions. WDW is the ONLY place where they hang out with their dad. Probably bc I hang out on Intercot and have so many tid bits of information I pass along to them that they want to know more. :D

We did on occassion split up to ride different rides and met back up together but for the most part we did everything together. WDW is magical in that way, where our family could get along for several days with no one's feelings getting hurt. Compromise where you can, and they just may want to hang out with you more.

Good Luck