PDA

View Full Version : safety in the parks

minnie04
04-17-2013, 04:17 PM
After what just happened in Boston. I was just thinking could this happen in WDW?? Yes I know it can happen anywhere, but do you feel Disney is as safe as they could be. I know when we walk through the bag check I feel like I ‘am telling them more about my bag and its contents then they care to hear. I always pull almost everything out so they can really check and they never seem to really look down deep. I know they are so busy with a million bags a day, but I was just wondering if it were just me that I am the only one who sees this. It’s so scary now days. I know they do their best and that is all anyone can hope for, but I’m just asking how everyone feels, not saying in anyway they are doing a bad job...

CleveSJM
04-17-2013, 04:38 PM
Yes, Disney is as safe as they can be. They have more than just bag checking going on. The bag check is also as much of a person check as a contents check. I have absolutely no worries about Disney safety. They do a great job!:thumbsup:

vicster
04-17-2013, 04:43 PM
I absolutely trust Disney. We were there 9/11 and they were absolutely amazing.

minnie04
04-17-2013, 04:53 PM
I was there as well on 9/11 and they were amazing the way they handled everything. I do trust their security and know that there is so much more behind the scenes that we don't see as far as security measures. I'm in no way down grading their security, but just making an observation to what I see at the bag checks when we are there.

buzznwoodysmom
04-17-2013, 05:03 PM
Of course no place can ever be 100% completely safe in the world we live in. However, I do feel very safe when in Disney. I have read that there are civilian dressed "undercover" security monitoring all guest who enter the park, and bag check is just part of Disney's overall security.

AZ Disney
04-17-2013, 06:03 PM
IMO...bag checks at these very populated places from Disney, Universal, Ball games, US Open, etc...the bag checks are weak at best. It's a tough job as everyone is excited to get where they are going, but in today's world it needs to be done thoroughly. We open the bag and they sort of do a quick feel around. Most of the time, I'm toting kid snacks of some kind that are not permitted and not detected. If they were conducting thorough bag checks my snacks would not get through the gates.

BuddyL4
04-17-2013, 06:41 PM
I have had "tools" confiscated before. Let me explain. I am a firefighter and was an EMT at the time. The security did the usual back pack check and asked what was in my first aid kit. I remebered my medic tools, shears and bandage scissors etc., were in there and told them. I also had my FF ID as well. Next thing I knew the young lady was talking into her collar and another gaurd came over to speak with me. I have to say they were as nice and profesional a bunch I have ever met BUT the tools would be held at the gate untill I was ready to leave. As I was told by security I was on VACATION and just enjoy the time I was there. After 25 years of service it's hard to turn off and just forget about life and enjoy a vacation but Disney has a good group of people keeping the parks safe. As others on this post have said there are many things protecting the guests and technology you don't see!:thumbsup:

kakn7294
04-17-2013, 08:30 PM
They're only looking for actual and potential weapons, glass jars, and suspicious behavior from those in line. I do think it's as safe as it can be.

PirateLover
04-18-2013, 12:19 AM
IMO...bag checks at these very populated places from Disney, Universal, Ball games, US Open, etc...the bag checks are weak at best. It's a tough job as everyone is excited to get where they are going, but in today's world it needs to be done thoroughly. We open the bag and they sort of do a quick feel around. Most of the time, I'm toting kid snacks of some kind that are not permitted and not detected. If they were conducting thorough bag checks my snacks would not get through the gates.

Not sure about the other places/events, but snacks are allowed at Disney....

I'll admit that bag checks are definitely uneven. I've had some really thorough ones, and some pretty cursory ones. Still, with the inspiration behind this thread stemming from the Boston Marathon bombing, I have to say I'm fairly confident that park security would be able to identify a pressure cooker in someone's backpack. Also, the mere presence of security is often enough to make a potential criminal think twice.

BrerGnat
04-18-2013, 08:08 AM
As someone has already mentioned, Disney security that we SEE is only a tiny fraction of it. There is SO much that the guests never notice, but it's right there in plain sight for people who know what to look for. I have no qualms about my personal safety at Disney, but I recognize that not every attempt at violence can be thwarted.

That said, I think if this tragedy in Boston can teach us anything, it's that we can't become complacent and we are all responsible for continued vigilance on this front. Whenever we are in crowded situations, we need to be aware of our surroundings, the people, the things we see, etc. I find it very disheartening that someone was able to drop down TWO bags containing explosives and walk away from them and NO ONE noticed. In particular, that image that has been circulated showing the bag on the ground near the mailbox, and no one seeming to wonder or care what it is? If that ends up being one of the explosives (I know it's a point of contention right now), can you imagine? It was sitting right there, and no one said anything? This is what we need to be more careful of, I think.

I feel safe at Disney parks, but I become uneasy when it's so crowded that I can't move. I try to avoid those situations because a lot of things can happen when you have that many people crammed together, and I don't like thinking about the possibilities.

CU Tiger
04-18-2013, 11:14 AM
I know the bag checks do not look like much and they may not catch small items, but it will catch the large damaging items. The size of the devices used earlier this week are easily seen in one of these checks. They are not small and the items would be really out of place of what you would bring into a park.

There is no way to stop every threat, but I feel safe at DW.

waymickey
04-18-2013, 11:41 AM
I also feel very safe at Disney. We only see some of the security but there is much much more going on that we do not see.
On our last visit two men in plain clothes were by a tree over in frontier land. I was ahead of my family and stopped by the tree to wait for them to catch up. One of the men stepped close to me and said quietly to please keep moving ahead. He then pointed to a backpack sitting up against the tree. I saw it and kept moving and my family caught up. I looked back and very quietly they were able to close off that area to all guests. The back pack was eventually removed without incident and without I would guess 90% of guests knowing anything at all was going on.
This made me wonder how many more security people are wandering Disney World keeping us safe all day. My guess is A LOT !!!

SBETigg
04-18-2013, 11:47 AM
Remember there was an attempted bombing like this Boston one in Times Square and that one was thwarted. Bad things can happen anywhere. It's so important that we're vigilant in watching out for ourselves and others and keeping track of our surroundings. I think a lot of people do pay attention, and I think people are generally more good than bad, which is heartening. But especially at WDW, I think they are doing everything they can do, and more that we don't see. Which still doesn't mean something can't happen, but I refuse to live in fear.

ransam
04-18-2013, 11:59 AM
i have thought about this question a lot over the years.
The fact of the matter is if someone nut job wants to he can get past security. Unfortunately that is the world we live in.
I will not live in fear though. I believe Disney does all it can do and work hard to provide a safe environment, and i think they will work harder now.

Having said that. I think everyone has a responsibility to protect themselves and others around them.

#1donaldfan
04-18-2013, 12:22 PM
I feel as though Disney is a secure place. Anything can happen, we all realize that, but we cannot live in fear, otherwise we let the terrorist of this world, foreign and domestic win. Their tactics are geared to instill fear into everyone, make us worry, stress and pretty much lose a joy for life.....I refuse to let that happen....when it's my time, it's my time !!! :cool:

WhiteRose1
04-18-2013, 01:41 PM
The last trip my mom took to WDW was in a wheel chair, and somehow she got the foot holder thingy stuck, and my brother, father and I were trying to work it free so she could place her foot on it.

We were alone on a trail in AK, no one was around, and I swear this man just showed up outa nowhere! (My mom joked that he jumped out from behind a bush!) with a wrench and loosened the nut or bolt or whatever it was...he was obviously a Maintenance employee ...but we were completely alone for about 4-5 minutes before this gentleman came over. I just can not imagine this man just walks around the park looking for stuck wheelchair parts...I'm guessing we were on video somewhere and they got someone to us with the right tool.

The point is...I feel in Disney, big brother is watching, and in this case... hehehe..it's good. :)

Bag checks are also a personality test...do you get nervous when the person checks your bag? Do you break eye contact? etc. also the bag check in some places is a way to stop people to get their face on camera. I wonder if Disney uses Facial Recognition software? (Feel safer yet?)

Dulcee
04-18-2013, 02:19 PM
WDW security is far, far, far more then the bag checks you see. They employ a pretty large number of security and they cooperate quite closely with surrounding jurisdictions. DH being a cop feels the need to befriend security/police wherever we go. On our most recent trip he spent a fair amount of time chatting with one particular employee and was impressed with a lot of what was done and I'm sure it's just the cusp.

WDW knows they're a likely target and plan accordingly. I feel more safe there knowing they plan for the worst versus somewhere that doesn't assume the worst could happen to them.

BrerGnat
04-18-2013, 03:03 PM
WDW security is far, far, far more then the bag checks you see. They employ a pretty large number of security and they cooperate quite closely with surrounding jurisdictions. DH being a cop feels the need to befriend security/police wherever we go. On our most recent trip he spent a fair amount of time chatting with one particular employee and was impressed with a lot of what was done and I'm sure it's just the cusp.

So true.

DH has an acquaintance who is a very high ranking official of the Dept. of Homeland Security. That guy is good friends with the head of security at WDW. It is a MASSIVE operation. And, a very highly skilled one at that.

CMCTxMom
04-18-2013, 03:25 PM
I think it's as safe as it can be. Disney does their job to keep it that way.

Today's world is just sick, in a lot of ways. Disney is a place to escape - even that. If we let the "bad guys" take the magic away, then they've already won. If we let them dictate our everyday way of life, then we will have none left. We have to be vigilant and mindful, but also continue and live our lives.

mydisneygirls
04-18-2013, 04:36 PM
That said, I think if this tragedy in Boston can teach us anything, it's that we can't become complacent and we are all responsible for continued vigilance on this front. Whenever we are in crowded situations, we need to be aware of our surroundings, the people, the things we see, etc. I find it very disheartening that someone was able to drop down TWO bags containing explosives and walk away from them and NO ONE noticed. In particular, that image that has been circulated showing the bag on the ground near the mailbox, and no one seeming to wonder or care what it is? If that ends up being one of the explosives (I know it's a point of contention right now), can you imagine? It was sitting right there, and no one said anything? This is what we need to be more careful of, I think.

I just wanted to say that from what I've heard, before the race even started bomb sniffing dogs combed the area and it wasn't until 2 hours into the marathon that these bombs were placed. If you think about it, most of the spectators there were on the side to cheer on their spouse, friend, etc. that were about to cross the finish line so in paying attention to the runners, they didn't notice this deranged person or persons do what they did and I think most people would not have noticed either.

Do I believe Disney is safe, yes. Do I believe it is 100% safe, no.

LVT
04-22-2013, 06:58 AM
Safer than the car trip to get there.

k10
04-22-2013, 09:11 AM
As someone has already mentioned, Disney security that we SEE is only a tiny fraction of it.

As a Bostonian, I wondered the same exact thing. Is Disney safe and is Disney prepared for something similar? My cousin who is 11 does not want to go to Disney 1/2014 to watch me & my other family members run the Marathon and 1/2 Marathon b/c she's worried about somethign happening. We're hoping that subsides with time.

That being said, I'm 32 and have my own little trip to Disney coming in May. I have to say, in the back of my head, there's a little "what if" going on. But like the quote above, I'm having faith in the things unseen.

#bostonstrong!

Aurora
04-22-2013, 11:07 AM
Safer than the car trip to get there.

Great point! And Disney is probably even safer than being in my own house.

We always need to keep things in perspective. :mickey:

Kaps
04-24-2013, 04:18 PM
I believe it is safer to be at Disney than I think it is to vacation out of the country. Might just be me though? I know nothing is 100% secure but you have to live life

PopPhan
04-25-2013, 08:37 AM
I know nothing is 100% secure but you have to live life

Definitely a thought to live by!

No matter what happens elsewhere around the globe, unless you are in total control of your situation, relax and enjoy life. Otherwise, you will be more liable to miss out on opportunities because you are being overly cautious/worrying about things you cannot anticipate or control.

LudwigVonDrake
04-27-2013, 02:51 PM
Unfortunately in this day and age we will never be completely safe. There are many layers of Disney security that we never see. For us, we need to be vigilant and aware of our surroundings and if something doesn't look right…REPORT IT!

vamaggie
04-27-2013, 06:59 PM
We are no less safe than we were before Boston (or 9/11 or any other tragedy), we are just more aware of the possibility of bad things happening. We need to be aware and cautious but also need to keep living and doing--or the bad guys win.

AmandaChan
04-29-2013, 07:50 AM
I will say that I have thought of this too. Sometimes they dig down deep into your bag and make you pull out every little thing... sometimes they just kind of peep in there. With the recent events I really wish to see them amp up the security.. add some more stations, hire some more people... do whatever you have to! They have the money for it.

mousetrapper
04-29-2013, 08:02 PM
Yes, if some bad person wants to hurt people, they'll find a way. But I do think WDW is very safe. Remember there really wasn't any way to check bags etc. at the Boston Marathon.

One thing that I think is a lesson for all of us is "if you see something, say something." It's a cliche, true, but I think you can't be too careful nowadays. Whether it's a person acting suspiciously or a backpack or parcel sitting unattended, we all should take the initiative to be aware of our surroundings and report anything we think is amiss.

I must say that reading all the posts here about security at WDW gives me peace of mind. It also is one more reason I won't complain about how much WDW park tickets cost! Well worth it for all the seen and unseen things that make the place so wonderful, and safe.