PDA

View Full Version : WWD (World's worst daughter??)

DisneyMomx2
04-10-2013, 04:31 PM
Is there anyone else out there that just CAN'T deal with taking their Mom/Dad/parents to WDW with them? My Dad passed away many years ago and I have gone with my mom in the past. I love my mom and love spending time with her. The problem is, she finds more to complain about on vacation than to like sometimes and it makes for a very, very stressful trip. We have another trip planned that I didn't invite her on (which apparently she expected to be) and it has caused a huge issue. I am learning to stand by my guns but it isn't helping things between her and I at the moment. Please tell me there are other rotten kids out there like me. lol (p.s. I'm 41 with a family of my own now).

disney obsessed
04-10-2013, 05:04 PM
You have the right to your own life. Make seperate plans with her.

clausjo
04-10-2013, 05:09 PM
I wouldn't worry about it, we all need our space sometimes. My parents are both like that, they like to complain. They live 20 minutes from the parks so they like to tag along whenever we're there. When I lived in South FL, we would make trips to the World without telling them just so we could have some relaxing time.

I love both of my parents very much, but sometimes I need my own vacation.

Hang in there!

LVT
04-10-2013, 06:02 PM
Oh My. You have to have some less stressed time. I am surprised she would want to go every time, but that is based on my experience, not data.

Dragongirlx
04-11-2013, 03:56 AM
My mother is extremely demanding and expects us to do everything she wants at the expense of our own lives. A few years ago offered to pay for me and my Twin sister to go on a disney cruise with her. After thinking about it we said no, not because we wouldn't love to go on a Disney Cruise but because she would have driven us completely insane. She did sulk about it and didn't understand why we said no but we stuck to our guns.
You have to be strong about these things and consider your own needs sometimes

Pirate Granny
04-11-2013, 07:43 AM
I guess I will try to be nicer and kinder when taking my adult gals and their families to Disney.

DisneyMomx2
04-11-2013, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the support everyone. It breaks my heart and weighs heavily on me but I just feel like the explosion that occurs when it doesn't go her way and the drama are wearing me down. I jump at the drop of a hat for her so I guess I have made me own bed but I truly know I need to stand my ground here. :(

ibelieveindisneymagic
04-11-2013, 09:30 AM
Not at all!

We do take my Mom with us, and she bends over backwards to make it a good trip, and it is still stressful, and a very different trip than we just our "little" family goes.

Travelling with anyone can be stressful, and you deserve (and need) some time just as your family. Don't feel bad at all ... you can do something else with her!

minnie04
04-11-2013, 09:58 AM
I would make other plans with her. She might not even realize she is always complaining because to her it’s normal to make comments good or bad about everything. lol Just tell her this is a time for you and your kids to have together and maybe she can come another trip. I have been very blessed with my mom and Mother-in-law when they travel with us. They both just go with the flow.Sometimes it’s just nice to go alone with your kids and DH take that time to bond and have fun (without the stress), because I’m sure when it's stressful on you it trickles down towards the kids and that can’t be a good time...

My mom when she travels with us will always tell me "if i feel good enough to go walk the parks, I will go. If not I will stay back and hang out in the resort". I have no problem with this because I know my mom and what she can handle.. She always says that before we even get there..too funny

Go and have a great time you deserve it!!! :mickey:

Katzateer
04-11-2013, 11:23 AM
My mom is not easy to take to WDW but we used to go with my MIL along every trip when the girls were younger. I was not going to ruin my vacation which I had saved for and looked forward to all year! And my husband and girls felt the same way.

I would try to make it up with other activities and visits with my mom. My MIL really GOT Disney and was very easy to travel with. My mom liked the IDEA of going but would only stay at the Contemporary or Polynesian, which we could not afford and would not spend more than an hour or two at the parks IF she went to the parks at all. And if she wasn't at the parks she did not like to spend the day alone at the resort.

Her idea of a vacation at WDW was eating, resting and window shopping which is fine, but it just wasn't our idea of a week at WDW!

Mrs Bus Driver
04-11-2013, 02:15 PM
As a mom who dearly loves her daughter I get that she needs to do things without me. Heck I need to do things without her. Your mom could be feeling a little insecure and need to control things, because well you grew up and don't need her like you used to. But don't let her control your life. Parents have to teach children boundaries and sometimes children need to do the same.

joonyer
04-11-2013, 04:58 PM
Find her a boyfriend! :D Then he can deal with it.

brownie
04-11-2013, 06:44 PM
You have a couple options. One would be up front with her and tell her how her complaining impacts your enjoyment of your time at Walt Disney World and with her. The other would be to bring her along but limit what you do with her; have separate rooms and don't do everything together. Maybe even get there before her or stay longer.

I think it's better to address the issue rather than just going without her.

DisneyMomx2
04-12-2013, 10:25 AM
Thanks so much everyone for the replies. I feel alot better.

As to finding her a boyfriend... I WISH!! Your post did make me LOL!

As to taking her but separating our time together, unfortunately that is not an option. There is VERY little she will do on her own. VERY LITTLE. Plus, she would need a ride there and back since we all drive.

I so appreciate the input. I think Mom does need to learn some "boundaries" and Disney is only the icing on the cake.