PDA

View Full Version : Animal Kingdom Anniversary

DVC2004
04-10-2013, 11:40 AM
Am I correct that Animal Kingdom's 15 year anniversary will be coming up in a couple weks on Earth Day?

Has anything special been announced in terms or celebration, special events, commemorative merchandise? I only ask because coincidentally we will be there that week and now wondering if we should plan to visit that park on 4/22.

Thanks!

faline
04-10-2013, 11:52 AM
Disney will be celebrating this event on April 22nd. They will have a special opening ceremony which will include several Disney dignataries - Joe Rohde will be among them.

During the day, activities in the park will be focusing on animals and nature but am not sure what these activities will be.

DVC2004
04-10-2013, 12:02 PM
Thanks! How cool! We will definitely plan to be there. What a happy coincidence!

Strmchsr
04-10-2013, 03:26 PM
From the official Disney Parks Blog:

Here are a few of the details of what’s planned for the park’s anniversary.
Special opening ceremony – Meet at the Tree of Life at 8:40 a.m., to hear from Josh D’Amaro, Vice President of Disney’s Animal Kingdom; Dr. Jackie Ogden, Vice President of Animals, Science and Environment; and Joe Rohde, Senior Vice President of Walt Disney Imagineering Creative. Make sure you arrive early for this!
Earth Day “Party for the Planet” festivities – Special interactive activities that focus on animals and nature will take place throughout the park from 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
Artists and other vendors will present their work on in Africa and on Discovery Island, with their work available for purchase.
Opportunity to purchase special 15th anniversary merchandise, available in limited quantities.
Special food & beverage.
We’ll have more details on Party for the Planet fun, food & beverage and merchandise closer to the event date – stay tuned!

MrPeetrie
04-10-2013, 05:04 PM
Happy Anniversary Animal Kingdom. We love this park.

WDWdriver
04-10-2013, 09:54 PM
Its not a coincidence that AK opened on Earth Day (April 22nd). Animal Kingdom is, and has been for 15 years, a celebration of the earth and all of its animal inhabitants. The CMs who work there (including me) are proud of their efforts to educate humans and protect the many endangered species of animals around the world.

TheHD
04-10-2013, 10:16 PM
The CMs who work there (including me) are proud of their efforts to educate humans and protect the many endangered species of animals around the world.

Keep it up! I'm sure many other people who visit, like me, really appreciate it. :thumbsup:

Sylvia
04-11-2013, 05:29 PM
Count us among those who really appreciate AK and all of the caring CMs who make a day at AK such an amazing adventure. We were on one of our many WDW vacations during the week that AK opened. Amazingly, in mid-morning, when the AK bus came to our resort bus stop, we were advised that the park was already at capacity and the driver recommended that we wait for another day. The wait was definitely worth it. On every trip since that first time, we typically spend 2-3 days at AK, without ever going on a "thrill ride". The beauty of the park, the many live animals, the atmosphere and various live performances, are thrill enough for us.

DVC2004
04-11-2013, 05:37 PM
Its not a coincidence that AK opened on Earth Day (April 22nd). Animal Kingdom is, and has been for 15 years, a celebration of the earth and all of its animal inhabitants. The CMs who work there (including me) are proud of their efforts to educate humans and protect the many endangered species of animals around the world.

Ha ha I know- I meant it is a happy coincidence that my trip conincides with the anniversary. we didn't plan around this. Love Animal Kingdom and all the efforts to educate and protect, and instill in its guests repect for creatures.

DizneyFreak2002
04-16-2013, 02:20 PM
Joe Rohde has pulled out of the ceremonies... How much longer before he joins Tony Baxter as former Imagineers? Time is close I think...